What Dragon Quest games have you played?

What Dragon Quest games have you played?
How would you rank them?

I'd rank them
5 > 8 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 9
Haven't played 2, 6 and 7.
5 is a must-play for RPG fans in general, not just DQ fans.

Glad I waited on 11's Switch port instead of buying it on launch, can't wait.

Attached: da boys.png (1021x542, 735K)

5>4>11>8>7>9

I finished DQ6 months ago and burned myself with it and since DQ7 is the next one on the list, I really have to wait before starting it.

5 > 4 > 3 >>> 6 > 1 > 2

Mainline
1, 2, 3, 8, 11

Spinoffs
Monsters 1, Heroes 1, Heroes 2

8>all

based DQ5 chads.
such a shame he isn't in Smash because he's depicted as using a staff

Bump

Attached: 005.jpg (1106x1600, 442K)

III with best DQ girl

Attached: f67b0a1eea91beee914c70977cf4d6d4b180cd4b.jpg (868x1228, 614K)

Agreed

Attached: cdec7c94fe4d20eb7d8dbf0e2507a1fb.jpg (600x906, 168K)

Never thought I'd find mein nigger on this shit board.

Attached: 075.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

VI > V > IV > IX > XI > VII > VIII > III > I > II

Attached: 1544658822076.png (1920x1080, 49K)

8 > 11 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 9 > 7 > 2
8 was my first and favorite. The only one I've beaten several times. The characters, world, and look of the game just grabbed me. 11 blew me away as well, but can't dethrone 8.

4 was really good as well, and 6 was okay. 5 is I don't know, I just didn't care much about it. It was at least better then the ones under it. 3 and 1 were okay, but I would never touch 9, 7, or 2 again.

Only games I've played.
3 > 5 = 11 > 8 > 6 > 5 > 9
The true chads know that Dragon Quest monsters 1 and 2 for the GBC are the absolute best Dragon quest games, though.

Attached: 1559946213534.jpg (848x814, 110K)

Confession, I've never played a DQ. I'm thinking of picking up 11 when it comes out on Switch, but what are the best versions of the other games? There's like two or three rereleases for every game and being a FF fan I know that the newest isn't always necessarily the best.

why is III ranked so low on so many? that shit was fire

Attached: FD3A0093-5AC8-4573-B264-1E343E77782F.png (600x594, 412K)

DQ 3 should be played on GBC. I played the DS versions of 4, 5, and 6.

Fuck, I must be more tired than I thought. The 6 should be 4 and the second 5 should be 6.
It's My favorite DQ and peak DQ.

1>9>8

1 and 9 were decent, but I really disliked 8.

i played 1, 2, 3, and i believe i began 4 on mobile.

so my list is 3, 1, 2, 4

2 was fucking aids and it even glitched out on me. 4 i didnt fully play but what little i did play was extremely annoying and the chapter stuff really fucked with my sense of continuity

bump

VIII > V > Rocket Slime > III > XI > IV

this mizuryu kei? reverse search isnt working for me

I never played a DQ before but i like the music because Dai no daibouken anime. Should i start with 11?

SNES verions of 1-3 with fan translations.
1 is an absolute skeleton of a good jrpg and with fast-forward you can blow through it in like three or four hours. The world feels nicely compact but with a decent amount of exploration and the dungeons are super short. I recommend playing through it if you have the time and patience, though not a lot of either time or patience are required to sit through it. Playing 1 will make you appreciate the second half of 3 a LOT more, and whether or not you play 1, 3 is very worth playing. Skip 2.

Phone port of 1 is fine, if a little rpg-makery. The benefit of the phone ports of 1-3 are having the most up to date localizations. However 3's phone port is a downgrade from the SNES version due to slower walking speed in towns and no battle animations.

DS remakes of 4-6 are the best versions. Well actually.... not 4. You see, a major component of later DQ games is Party Chat, introduced in 7 and added to every game after including remakes. In 4-6's remakes, party members have something to say after every NPC you talk to, story event you witness boss you beat, town you visit etc. It adds SO MUCH to the games and highly worth spamming the party chat button at every instance.
However 4's localizers got lazy and didn't translate the optional party chat in the DS version, so it doesn't have it. However the phone port of IV DOES have party chat localized, so 4's best version currently is iOS/Android. 5 and 6 have party chat in the DS versions, but their phone ports are actually almost identical to the DS Versions and pretty good unlike Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger's trash phone versions.

Attached: 1560299766593.jpg (1200x533, 151K)

5>11>7>8>4>9>6
haven't played the first 3 yet but in about to start the gbc ports of them.
for dragon quest monsters that I've played I'd say
joker 2 > Terry's wonderland 3d > joker
11 is probably the best to start with now. Just keep in mind that the spell animations make battles go on for way longer than they should, and that the music was very phoned in for this one. Other good ones to start with are 4, 5, and 8

only played 3 of em
5>3>>

Played and finished

V = III = VIII >> VI >> IV >> I

I tried II, VII, IX and XI, but those are not games for me.

contd
3DS version of 8 removes random encounters and is less grindy and slow-paced, with a turbo mode in battles. It's great, but the Western version of 3DS doesn't have orchestrated music; use a patch to restore the original audio. You DID hack your 3DS, didn't you?
PS2 version of 8 is serviceable if you have a turbo button but Jesus fucking Christ you need s turbo button. The game is beautiful but I played it on actual hardware and it's Final Fantasy IX levels of slow.

If you only had to play one game in the series, play 5, 8 or 3.

Only played 4 5 6 and 9.
Gonna wait for 11 on the switch.
Might grab 7 and 8 on the 3DS.
How do 1 2 and 3 hold up? Are they long?

I finished XI and got about halfway through V before falling out of it. Should I go back and finish it?

they're not long at all, because they were the first jrpgs. I've noticed dungeons in DQ games pre-6 are super short and usually don't even have a boss. I beat DQ3 in 4 days playing intermittently. And DQ1 is like four hours long or so it feels like.

Only 7 is autistically long, 8 is pretty fucking long but it's because the PS2 version is SLOW in terms of battle animations and getting anything done.

5>7>9>8

3 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 7 > 6
really didn't like what the series became after 5.

I played 9 and I don't remember finishing it, but I really liked it. Currently playing 7 and I haven't enjoyed it as much, but I've been told it gets much better once you unlock the job system.

6 is the weakest game in the series
7 is a niche acquired taste, not to my liking personally although I respect some of the things it tried to do
You're missing out if you haven't played 8 though