Alright, boomers say its the best in the series, l I'm giving it a shot. What am I in for?

alright, boomers say its the best in the series, l I'm giving it a shot. What am I in for?

Attached: MorrowindCOVER.jpg (273x364, 26K)

Terrible graphics, clunky gameplay, a lot of reading, and general tedium.

That said it's so easy to break that it's hilarious at times, and if you don't mind putting up with its dated ideas (that were dated even back in 2003) it's worth playing. Honestly, I don't think anyone that praises it actually thinks it's particularly good, but I'll be damned if it doesn't pull you in somehow.

The roleplaying elements are the best in the series but the combat is absolute dogshit, so if you prefer action-based games over RPGs don't bother. Otherwise, give it a shot

The best in the series. Make sure you use weapons actually used by your class and don't just run into combat if your fatigue is low.
Don't worry too much about perfect levelling up either, you'll be fine.

>Honestly, I don't think anyone that praises it actually thinks it's particularly good, but I'll be damned if it doesn't pull you in somehow.
at least try not to be contradictory.
that's exactly why it's praised. even without the flashy graphics and PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS and big fucking golden breadcrumb trail or waypoints on map, it manages to create a super captivating and fun experience.
it's a fantastic game. just get through the somewhat annoying early game and it offers one of the best rpg experiences.
protip: lookup boots of blinding speed and % resistance to magicka spells.

A video game, and a pretty good one at that. Much of the joy of the game is finding and figuring things out for yourself so I would avoid looking anything up or asking for advice right away.

Albeit less so than the later games, it's still very forgiving of "bad builds" by the standards of most older RPGs; none of your choices in the beginning can permanently fuck up your character. A bad build (or rather, one unsuited to your playstyle) just means things will be a bit harder earlier on. So pick whatever sounds fun and don't get caught up in trying to min-max unless doing that in and of itself is fun to you.

most important thing to understand: you are playing a real time D&D game

if you want to use melee, make sure your character has a melee weapon in major skills
use said motherfucking weapon type. keep your eyes on the green bar in the bottom. if it's low, wait (press t) before fighting
archery/ranged is very underwhelming
the best way to play this game is pure mage. it has the coolest spellmaking/enchanting/alchemy of the TES games

Stick with it for a few hours, use the weapons that match your major skills, chance to hit is determined by your current stamina so don't let that drain too low in combat.
Pay attention to conversations.
At least dabble in magic. It's too fun not to.

>protip:
How about just discovering stuff by yourself

It's funny, I've played this game way too much but never bothered with magic much. Mostly just used amulets I happened to find. Haven't done very many questlines either. Looking back, I don't really know what I actually did all that time

Attached: 31b8064b.jpg (521x553, 38K)

Magic isn't that fun unless you break it. All the spells that you could break the game with cost too much magicka that requires you to break alchemy first.
Enchanting is the only real powerhouse without breaking it.

Because personally when I did my own first playthrough of morrowind the movement speed was fucking unbareable. Suck my cock. It's mentioned to new players in every single morrowind thread. Some things just haven't aged well, and run/walking at snail pace along with fatigue factoring into chance to hit has aged like fucking milk. inb4 hurrdurr dnd roll mechanics. dont give a fuck, i like to get places quicker and take the boots off once i've gotten where i need to be. it made the game so much more bareable.

Good. Magic is retarded in most RPGs and just breaks the game.

It doesn't hold your hand and the system is based around a lot more dicrolls than the sequels. You want to hit something?
Diceroll
Cast a spell?
DIceroll
Which is fine since you can manipulate the rolls in your favor by having a high skill in whatever you're using, maintaining a high amount of fatigue, and using items and spell that can boost said skill. Keep that in mind when you're trying to smack something with a sword since there aren't any miss animations. Your weapon will seemingly phase through the enemy.
Movement is also different. If you want to get to another location you're going to either use one of the many services around the map or one of the many spells.
You can boost your speed, fly, jump far, walk on water, or teleport to set destinations. Learn the methods and routes that they take and you should be able to navigate the map easily.

>i like to get places quicker and take the boots off once i've gotten where i need to be. it made the game so much more bareable.

Use boats and silt striders? Or just carry less weight? Or how about just not being a little bitch?

There are numerous ways to get around faster

>use boat/silt striders
and waddle to caius for 5 minutes
ok
>carry less weight
its not a big enough % speed difference to give a fat fuck. rather carry more shit

does it really make you a little bitch for not wanting to slowly creep along for the first 10-20 hours of gameplay? does it actually?

>Or just carry less weight?
I feel like many people probably don't even realize that encumbrance affects your stamina and movement. It took me a long time to notice, at some point I was just wondering like wait why am I jumping so low, even though my jump skill was maxed. Then it hit me that weight actually affects you

and i mentioned one.

I loved it, it takes some getting used to but once you're in it is so immersive and fun, you gotta pay attention. The main quest was actually nice and interesting and the world becomes pretty interesting.

t. someone who played it for the first time in 2017

The amulets and rings you find from random adventuring can get you really damn far on their own. The rings especially are so light too that there's no reason not to carry dozens.

I mean sure you can go fucking crazy if you break it but magic is still super fun on its own. Jump, chameleon, charm, calm, telekinesis, the teleportation spells, bound items etc.
Lots of great utility available to a mage that are cheap and reliable to cast even with low-mid skill levels, and them along with custom damage-over-time spells and the drain health (or whichever effect was the damage that was temporary but could still be used to finish off dudes) are more than enough to carry a character through the early game until their skill and magicka pool is large enough for the more expensive shit like the stronger summons, levitating for more than a few seconds, and high up-front damage nuking spells.

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to just change your speed stat through the console. Or pick the Steed sign so your speed is over 50 from the start. I don't know, I never had much issue with being slow. On the other hand I usually constantly jump in this game, which is a pretty fast way to move when you get Acrobatics leveled up

Look every character you meet in the eye and be sure to give them a firm handshake, that's what I did.

people have made it a meme because it's broken and exploitable.

but, the map is huge and has tons of shit to explore, lots of fine details.

also it's not a game for fucking idiots. you need to read and pay attention to shit.

always carry a ring or scrolls or potions for levitation. levitation is god-tier.

>the movement speed was fucking unbareable
boats, silt striders, teleportation service and spells, boots of blinding speed and levitation
>and run/walking at snail pace along with fatigue factoring into chance to hit
+fatigue enchantment
You never played the game, zoom zoom.

No it's still fine, I wasn't saying there's no point to it, it's just if you want the "fuckhuge spell of kill everything" or "fly around everywhere with no issue" you really need to break it. You can get close with a pure mage, even without breaking it, but still.

*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*
*miss*

*hit*

OH MY GOD THIS GAME HAS THE DEEPEST COMBAT EVER IN AN RPG, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU'RE A FUCKING PLEB GIT FUCKING GUD

Attached: 1529989437347.webm (720x720, 765K)

A broken game in a setting written by a man on psychedelics

>hurrdurr why can't I hit with a weapon I've put no points into

Just play anything else that is not TES

Nobody said that, spazzy McGee

>The amulets and rings you find from random adventuring can get you really damn far on their own. The rings especially are so light too that there's no reason not to carry dozens.
Yeah this is true, I always had tons of stuff on me so I guess I did use magic, just not as spells. Was pretty dank stumbling on an amulet for 90% Chameleon when I was doing Thieve's Guild stuff. Another time I was playing with some kind of shaders that made dark places really dark. I was in a cave and couldn't see shit, so I summoned a skeleton and cast Light on him to make him a walking lantern, lol

He specifically mentioned the boots, that's where the whole reply chain started

Attached: 1558946756771.jpg (768x1024, 114K)

Man, I'm a defender of Morrowind's combat but I wouldn't say it's deep. It's a diceroll, nothing more. I defend it because it works fine, if you have your skills built correctly. I don't think it's particularly engaging or deep by any means.

Follow the reply chain user, the conversation started because he was recommending the boots+resist trick in the first place.

>play a TES game for the combat
retarded since the 1990s

What did they mean by this?

Attached: 1556546141947.jpg (1600x1200, 605K)

One reason that might make Morrowind feel really slow is that the default fov is like 70

Attached: 416x416.jpg (416x416, 18K)

people like marrowind because the setting is cool. nobody likes the combat you literal retard.

Why don't you honor the 6th house, Yea Forums?

i mean. for conveniences' sake, you could, theoretically, just change it in console, but i'm a big dumb faggot and i really feel like using console in my "real" playthroughs is hard cheating and makes every accomplishment thereafter feel dirty. getting boots and resistance isn't cheating, it's just the best way i've seen to aid the dreadfully slow early game movement speed. whenever i'm far enough in, i typically end up being so sanic fast that they're inconsequential.
also, just feel personally like steed, although its a pretty big boost, it's still not as good as some other signs. whenever you've played enough taking steed feelsbadman because you feel pigeonholed into it every save you make.

Drain int 100points for 1 sec on self.
Enjoy ur infinite mana

Install mods to fix combat. It makes it much more tolerable

>kills him if you give him the shirt she ordered to model for her
i legit don't even know, user.

This thread is making me want to play Morrowind again so bad

Attached: skooma.jpg (1366x768, 680K)

>a lot of reading
lol

I thought I had played this fairly recently but these screenshots are dated to 2015, I guess I could fire it up again when it's been so long

Attached: MGE Screenshot 24.png (1366x768, 1.18M)

I'm gonna replay it too. Not sure if I should do a Telvanni lizard wizard or roleplay as an imperial and do things for the empire.

I am pretty disciplined about not breaking the game except when it comes to the crab merchant. Need that cash for them enchants.

>zoom zoom
>doesn't have the attention span to read the 48 post thread
thanks for replying to my post

Attached: 1553805448486.jpg (241x210, 18K)

That Khajiit screenshot was my retarded Hlaalu playthrough. I was doing the questline with a dick-eating merchant Khajiit. Put all my points into Personality, Speecraft and Mercantile, totally useless in combat

I'm doing a telvanni sorcerer argonian right now, shit's fun.
she happily lets her own people stay enslaved just because she loves that big dunmer cock

combat is no worse than skyrim for melee.

You could have made illusion at least a minor skill. I made something like that once but I pumped hand-to-hand.

Mine just likes the unrivaled power. It's not like you can't just eliminate wizards that piss you off, everyone in Tel Branora for example.

I have played 100 hours and I haven't even been to some of the settlements.

Do the Imperial. Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, House Hlaalu of course, and whatever else. No need to get involved with the other native Dunmer shit. Not sure if you're anything like me but I always forgot that the Imperial stuff existed, especially the Cult since everything was tucked away in the Ebonheart chapel, so I did a playthrough like that recently and it was all new to me.
It was nice to tell Dagoth in the end that I was just a servant of the Empire, nothing more or less.

Attached: Kwama Concept Art.jpg (1280x1373, 284K)

You probably won't finish. Back in the day, I had fun building up characters and exploring, but the quests are chores to the point where you really don't even want to finish.