What went wrong?

Final Fantasy XV had:

>Insomnia: Which looked like one of the coolest urban settings in an FF game since Esther
>World of Ruin: A FF6 style "bad guy has won" 20 years after the fact post-apocalyptic environment, where everything you know has changed
>Ardyn: A villain with a genuinely sympathetic motive

How did they fuck it up so badly? Upon reflection it seems like FFXV actually had some really good elements to it, but they just failed to bring it all together in a coherent way.

Attached: final-fantasy-xv-box-art-final1-1.png (555x328, 283K)

Nothing, it is objectively the best FF and Insomnia is more explorable than Zanarkand, XVs version of WoR is better than 6s padded out shit was wasn't even going to originally be in 6, and Ardyn is the best antagonist in any FF.

No doubt 6 is overrated, mostly by bitter Nincels. But I wanted to explore peacetime Insomnia, and so did you. WoR is also cool, but we get to see so little of the world that Ardyn has created. We just hear about it.

It's so obvious it became a mystery:
They pushed Nomura so hard for a release date that even he can't do anything. So they use their wild card and put Tabata. He made his best to not fuck it up but he was limited as fuck since it wasn't his game and Square wanted a product right nao. So yeah, almost every element of the setting is awesome, even the gameplay is interesting, but they never really choose what to do with the game (even episode duscae had a bunch of stuff we never got in the final game).

Japanese people is so honorabru that we may never know the truth but to me it feels like Lords of Shadow 2 kind of terrible luck for a development

It's an ok game, not terrible. You're exaggerating it's flaws.

too many changes during development

This is the most likely reason. FFXV feels like one creative vision pasted on top of another. Both elements have some fantastic aspects to them. I'd agree that Ardyn is easily the best antagonist the series has had in a long while for example (Darin de Paul is also the best English VA in the game), but it doesn't feel coherent. It feels like a bunch of good ideas (like the car) were started, but never really finished.

It's flaws are exaggerated, I think the disappointment comes from the fact it could have been so much more.

>What went wrong?
Tabata.

Correction: It feels like they were started and tied up hastily. Like the scope of certain things (towns, cities, minigames, world traversal) were just scaled back massively from what was the original intent.

>Japanese people is so honorabru that we may never know the truth
But we know that Tabata was fired in the middle of produzion of the second season pass, so SE was pissed at him.
On the other hand Nomura delivered KH3 in just 4 and it's a far better game than whatever FF XV should be.
Now we know that even FFVIIR is much better than XV, becuase the gamepaly is miles better than that barebone garbage of XV.

Season pass content was cancelled because of sales. The actual base game sold... relatively well. The DLC sold like absolute shit by contrast.

You dont say, user?
They changed the director of the game ahlfway through, and the new director ad a completely different vision so he derailed the entire project to make his game isntead of compelting what the game was supposed to be.
It's like breaking a plate and trying to build an urn with the breaked peices, you simply cant and will turn into a mess.

It just had the development from hell. Everything that could go wrong did.
>Announced alongside FFXIII and "Agito XIII" (AKA Type-0)
>Oh no, FFXIII development isn't going well, all hands on deck
>Announce FFXIV
>Oh no, FFXIV bombed, all hands on deck
>Oh no, this is expensive, let's make XIII-2 and LR cheaply to make up the costs
>Okay, FFXIV:ARR is out, now we can develop FF Versus XIII
>Oh no, Crystal Tools is actually ass and can't handle the open environments everyone wants, let's make a new engine
>This is taking too long, must be Nomura's fault, Tabata time
>Tabata wants to make a completely different game than Nomura did? Just call it FFXV and make it work somehow

>The DLC sold like absolute shit by contrast
And you know what that does mean? That people bought the game only because of blind hype, but then discover that the game was a compelte dumpsterfire so they didnt even think of bouying a single DLC for that shit.

Remember, to know if a game is good or not, dont look at the sale of the game itself, but look at the sales of the sequel(or DLC). If the game is great, the sequel will sell way more, if the game is garbage, the sequel will sell much less even if its a better game.

When I found out World of Ruin wasn't going to be either the midway point or at the very least a huge post game I was beyond disappointed. They made is a multiplayer expansion instead.

Nothing makes me angrier than missed opportunities.

There's no value in using a World of Ruin if you don't actually get to do shit in it.

>the sequel will sell much less even if its a better game.
I can think of a number of games that I've gotten into on a sequel release

>This is taking too long, must be Nomura's fault, Tabata time
This is wrong, Nomura wasnt pulled out because the game was taking too long, but because Square whanted KH3 out asap and Nomura was the only one that could have do that, so they forced to do it to sut down all the screaching KH fantards

15's story is actually ambitious. The bad guy isn't just sympathetic, he's arguably good in some respects. His master plan is also a really good bait and switch that the narrative doesn't do a good enough job of explaining to the player (remember Ardyn's reveal while Noctis is screaming as he's being pulled into the crystal?). More than that, the bad guy wins and essentially rules a ruined, doomed world for what, something like 10-15 years? You get glimpses of what that world is like, but my impression was that even after Ardyn is defeated, the world they all inherit is more or less completely destroyed, depopulated and a total mess. Nobody is left. Most people you once knew are now dead.

It's a legitimately bleak, harrowing ending and a fatalistic, shades-of-grey story with one of the best antagonists of recent times. It's just such a shame it's wasted on such a half-finished game on top of it.

Gameplay is fun wish it was a little more difficult. Your companions are annoying and suck. And the story makes literally zero sense.

FFXV is way better than KH3, though.

agreed on the lords of shadow 2 comparison well said

Because who the fuck cares about noctis boring ass friends? The DLC should have been more areas/enemies not backstory for the most boring companions in FF history.

What happened with Lords of Shadow 2?

They should have started with Ardyn.

Nah. KH3 doesn't live up to KH2 for sure, but it's more engaging than hold circle simulator