Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves. This remake has a legitimate chance to surpass the original

Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves. This remake has a legitimate chance to surpass the original.

Attached: 1541816089215.png (422x235, 135K)

Yes.

It isn't turn-based so it's better by default.

It isn't turn-based so it's worse by default.

It's certainly interesting, and looks like a better action game than FFXV at least. I hope those boss battles aren't just overtuned for display purposes.

>censorship
>episodic release
It's objectively shit.

It already looks shittier somehow

Advertising is against the rules.

It isn't turn-based so it's worse by default.

They did good by stretching Midgar out into a full game's worth of content and Midgar's the only good part of the game anyways.

It's fucking episodic though, that's unacceptable imo

Yes, just wait full remaster complete special GOTY edition on Epic Store

I'm not really interested in playing games from my teens anymore though

how good is the mobile port of FF7?
thinking about getting it

Attached: 1557803577082.jpg (1273x713, 140K)

>Having any faith in modern Squeenix
>Thinking they'll manage to replicate the scale of FFVII with modern graphics
>Thinking the combat system won't manage to be utter shit while at the same time not giving you the customization and flexibility of the original.
Have you been hiding under a rock? How many time must Squeenix serve you shit to eat before you stop hyping their crappy cinematic games?

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

>"No but you don't get it, FFXIII was shit but XV looks great! The gameplay is going to be great, you're just a hater!
Madness is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. Final Fantasy is dead, it's time to accept it.

>sephiroth shown before death of president shinra
nope

It's FF7, no more no less. Ignore all the cheat options and you're good to go.

This. It's fucking stupid

>while at the same time not giving you the customization and flexibility of the original.
That depends wholly on the materia system, since equipping materia to cast specific spells is still a thing. If it's only materia for Cure and black magic spells it'll suck shit, if they give us specific spells along with materia that encompasses entire JOBS like the blue magic materia, and maybe materia for other jobs like Crisis Core having a Jump materia for dragoons, it'll be kino.

>Surpass
No.
>Be a great recreation of
Yes. The fact that it isn't being released in one package is a problem, though.

That will completely ruin the pacing.
If a whole game is set in midgar and the rest of the game is spread across the remaining games there will either be too many games or a very rushed story.

This. I guess people imagine it as a full-scale world inside Midgard, but that's just wishful thinking. Most of it will probably be corridors after corridors, with cool cinematics and pretty background graphics.
In a sense, I suppose that was the original vision back in 1997 but tech just wasn't there to make it full cimenatic.
I would love to see a remake full of "gamey" shit but we all know they'll play it safe and cinematic

Again, instead of dreaming look at the pattern of what FF combat system have been like over the past decade or so. It keeps getting more and more limited. Meanwhile their games still (mostly) sold well and got good reviews. I have zero hope that they'll change the formula for that remake.

They'll have to cut corners with the story, the world, the whole "episodic" release etc... They'll cut corner in the combat options as well.

Take your example for instance, having a Jump materia for dragoons. Sounds great but for a AAA release it needs to be implemented cleanly, so you need to have proper animations for the move, you need to make sure it doesn't break anything depending on how it interacts with the environments etc... In the original game the graphics and gameplay were so simple and limited that it was very easy to add all sorts of crazy stuff without too much overhead. In a modern release adding even a simple fire spell would probably require man-weeks to implement and test.

I can understand hoping irrationally for that amazing remake we'd all want but just think about it rationally in terms of money invested, projected sales, technical limitations, expectations of modern gamers etc... You're not going to get that game.

It really doesn´t even if it turns out to be a better game (which it won´t be). The original FF VII is protected by the spirit of it´s time and it´s untouchable. You would never be able to succesfully compare them because the socio historic conditions are too different. Technology is different, the place where the target audience is is different, the relevance to the genre is different, and so on.

That said and even though it´s hard to admit the remake does look pretty good so far. I´ve hated SE for the better part of the last two decades and they have finally presented a FF gameplay i am ok with. All they have to do now is not fuck it up with meaningless fetch quests and shitting on the story and we are pretty much golden but come on, what are the chances they won´t fuck it up? I mean, i am expecting them to expand on several characters like Jesse and the rest of Avalance or to make some Turks DLC or something like that, not to mention that at some point they´ll expand on Zack and we might get to see fucking Genesys and Angeal again or something. One way or another there is still plenty of ways this could go wrong.

Anybody else watching the Gamespot interview for FF7R right now?

>Again, instead of dreaming look at the pattern of what FF combat system have been like over the past decade or so.
I'm throwing this entire post out on the basis that the only other Final Fantasy game with a combat system like this one has been XV, which still has less character-customization than the materia system shown in gameplay footage.

>which it won´t be
Same was said about RE2make and that turned out to be better than the original.

you're wrong

Attached: 1557631459823.jpg (751x1024, 87K)

Not him, but i am worried about the episodic format, take RE2make for example, imagine if it was JUST Leon's scenario but heavily expanded on it, now imagine you have to wait 1-2 years for Claire's scenario, and then another year for HUNK's (again, a super heavy expanded game, talking full 10-15 hours games for each).

Now make Capcom be Square Enix, enough said.

sure, the original is good but highly overrated

>RTWP
it does have my interest

no it doesn't.

That's just too much of a good thing, one of the coolest things about Midgar is that the rest of the game is very different so it's very memorable. Not saying I'm against more midgar on the remake but the part lasting 10 hours is too much.

I've never played FF7 and it's on sale on the eshop right now. Is it worth it? Is it really as good as everyone says it is?

It's still good to this day but only nostalgia-addled boomers will tell you it isn't dated.

stop being a poor faggot and make up your own mind

You got the full game when you bought the original, so no

Attached: 1558811780940.png (600x450, 391K)

It's the most 90s shit ever so if you are into that I say it's worth it, it's a bit rough to get into at first compared to other RPG of the time but it grows on you.

It's a pretty good FF game but it's not the greatest. That distinction goes to V.

But that´s wrong. I am not saying RE2 remake was not good. It was great. It was just what RE needed after 6 and the first person one. Going back to the basics, or at least going back as much as possible. Nobody wants fixed cameras these days and whatnot. Still i don´t think that´s better than the original precisely because of that. The mechanics used on the original game made it an icon for it´s time. It was one of the most memorable games of it´s generation. RE2 remake doesn´t have that even if you could argue that the mechanics are better (i would go with different). RE2 remake is great but it´s not an icon of today´s gaming. There are many other titles with similar mechanics, POV and whatnot.

Fair enough, frankly I don't have the strength to argue about that the way I argued basically the same thing for FFXV for basically two years in those threads. Even when the first gameplay demo released there were people to defend that trash.
I am 99% certain that I'm right and this is going to be a shitty cinematic "press X for awesome" game which won't have 10% of the scale of the original.
RE2 is a lot more straightforward to adapt for a modern engine though. In FFVII you have to completely reimplement the combat, you have to figure out how to work around these very vast environments (in the original it's easy with the fixed camera angle and 2D backgrounds you can pretend like you're standing in the middle of Midgard with 10 polygons on screen). There's a lot more work to be done.
I still enjoy replaying it from time to time but I wonder how it would be for somebody not having played it at the time. PSX graphics are pretty rough by modern standards. If you haven't played the great JRPGs of that time I'd maybe recommend Chrono Trigger first, I think the 2D sprites won't hurt your eyes as much and it's really an amazing game as well.

>not an icon of today´s gaming
Neither is FFVII. Final Fantasy hasn't been a relevant franchise in a long time.

I only played the first six games, and I'm not about to play FFVII on the PS1. I want to walk into this remake with no expectations whatsoever other than the Aeris dies spoiler meme that is impossible to avoid.

Is this likely to enhance my experience? I think so, but what about those of you that actually played FFVII?

0% chance you mean.

7 is vastly overrated anyway, 8 is the shit.

>censorship
>character's breasts are smaller
Why do incels get to have opinions on the Internet again?

Based.
Cringe.

grab it on PC so you can mod it. I would recommend the New Threat mod for beginners

Yes. Play the original first

I agree with you there. 100% no, make that 200%.

>episodic release
This more then anything is what causes me to doubt the remake. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be cross generational, where I can play the first part or first 2 parts on ps4 and then I'll have to get a ps5and rebuy the first two parts just to complete the damn game.

Doubt it. It looks like much of the story will be rewritten to center around Midgar. Materia system won't be nearly as fun, I already see compilation elements creeping in. ATB looks okay, not a big fan of items, limits and materia all being tied together.

>implying its ever going to be finished

SE doesn't even know how many "episodes" its going to take to finish this series. And the first episode only covers midgar (which is also padded out).

It's going to be like Xenosaga, and the entire game is going to be cut in half which shit chopped up and rearranged and they have to redo the leveling system every episode, or its going to be Trails of Cold Steel, where a portion of it is on this gen and the rest is next gen.

The original FF7 wasn't turn based either. Good way to out yourself, newfag.