What are the most retarded terms in gaming?

What are the most retarded terms in gaming?
>two AND A HALF DEEEE to refer to 2D games with 3D graphics
>Metroidvania used for LITERALLY ANYTHING
or something else?

Attached: 1559925129220.png (371x397, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=1628
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroidvania
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People thinking that "JRPG"s have to literally be made in Japan. So, people that Dark Souls is a JRPG, for example.
People that call shit like Link to the Past "Open world"

>People thinking that "JRPG"s have to literally be made in Japan. So, people that Dark Souls is a JRPG, for example.
What's the problem with that

>RPG being used when there are no roleplaying elements
>they call it a RPG because it has numbered stats

But it's not, how retarded are you OP?

>Metroidvania used for LITERALLY ANYTHING that isn't a Metroid-like Castlevania*
>there are people out there that call even Metroid games "Metroidvanias"

>two AND A HALF DEEEE to refer to 2D games with 3D graphics
>JRPGs have to literally be made in Japan.
That's literally what they mean

It was originally used for SotNstyle castlevanias with upgrades and progression, as opposed to the original ones where you walk into the castle with all the tools you need and the challenge is just beating the levels.

Yeah, Metroidvania was a term that made sense for Castlevania games that had a Metroid-like exploration nature to them. Using that term outside of Castlevania is retarded.

store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=1628
Metroidvanias (short for Metroid-like Castlevanias) are SotN, the GBA and DS Castlevania games.
As soon as you ask people who disagree with this for definitions they start to get rabid and shit themselves because they see that they can't define the damn thing.

That's what people use for them, but it's a retarded term. Whoever came up with "2.5D" is an absolute brainlet. Half a dimension? Really?

"You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG," - Daniel Erickson

>artificial difficulty

X IS ONE, X IS ONE!
Y IS LOW, Y IS LOW!
>mfw 50% of hp is ONE

Attached: 1535788972950.jpg (326x326, 25K)

>People thinking that "JRPG"s have to literally be made in Japan
user, what do you think the J in JRPG stands for?

Protip: Most Swiss Army Knives aren't manufactured in Switzerland

nudes when

anime

here's your (You) user

not that guy, but for me it means "Japanese Styled RPG"
and this RPG does NOT mean roleplaying game, because JRPGs have seldom anything to do with roleplaying, sometimes you got a yes/no option that does fuck all, at best

Gamer
Gameplay
Gamefeel

You get it.

Alright what makes a game a "Japanese Styled RPG", please tell me
>inb4 you describe a western RPG then add 'anime tropes'

RPG
Since it no longer means role playing game, but roll playing game.

>Soulslike

Attached: 1530111888492.png (1128x1280, 830K)

Never.

Attached: 1559308805562.jpg (1080x1349, 130K)

Is this the part where you go "Wizardry technically did all of those things first, and that game isn't Japanese, so it makes no sense to call them JRPGs"? Is that your next move? It doesn't have to be CREATED by Japan as a style. It just has to be POPULARIZED by them.

>Anal retentive the thread

Bits.
It's a completely arbitrary piece of shit measure that NEVER said anything about the console's powers.
For example, in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT the Snes and SMS have the same exact number of bits. Same CPU bus size, same register and ALU size, same number of bits in the hardware register, same number of bits per tile, same number of bits per palette color..
Also if you say something like "the maximum number of bits is the one that counts", N64 should be called Nintendo 128.

Mob for enemy

This is a case of the term changing from original usage as WRPGs and JRPGs became more distinct. I ultimately agree with you that Dark Souls is not "just" a JRPG, but if you wanted to be pedantic you could say an Action JRPG. It's an action game first and foremost, as it makes way more sense for labels to refer to the core gameplay elements first and foremost rather than arbitrary design choices. It's for this reason that the misuse of "roguelikes" is so egregious and while "roguelite" catching on has alleviated this somewhat, it still is an imperfect solution to the issue (as the latter simply means something akin to procedural generation and expect some system around death). "Metroidvania" has had the opposite problem-- the term originally was to refer only to the Castlevanias which had a Metroid-esque map and now even Metroid titles fall under this category. The name is kind of silly, but it works because someone can be pretty sure of what a game will play like when that label is used.

I don't even know. I can take a guess when someone calls a game a JRPG, that's it. I wouldn't refer to games as "JRPGs". I'd call Final Fantasy 1/2/3/4/5/6 a turn-based adventure with an overworld, for example.

>It just has to be POPULARIZED by them.
I was gonna disagree, but you actually have a point.
A western game that flourishes in japan, means it has a lot of things that actually tick with japanese culture as a whole

What would you propose instead of 2.5D? I agree that from a technical sense it's dumb, but it quickly and easily summarizes what one will get.

Toon for character. No other term can come close to being this bad.

Attached: a48.png (380x379, 201K)

Wizardry is what popularised it though
Games like Kingdom Hearts don't play like Wizardy at all and everyone agrees that it's a JRPG.. But somehow Dark Souls isn't because...?

neckbeard boomers sperging over the term RPG when the game doesn't abide to their arbitrary definition of RPG that revolves around autismo mechanics taken from tabletop games

Just call it for what it is. DKCR, DKTF, Metroid Samus Returns are 2D platformers. Would you call Street Fighter 4/5 a 2.5D fighting game? Nobody does this because it's retarded, and using that for other genres is just as retarded.

>when people say Devil May Cry or Bayonetta is a Hack and Slash or a 3D Beat em Up
It's a fucking Action Game. That's it.

>immersive sim

Attached: 1544317784970.png (483x470, 184K)

>that revolves around autismo mechanics taken from tabletop games
Ironically they care the least about the autismo mechanics, which can actually be implemented fully into a video game, and much more about the 'role playing' which is shit you can do on Omegle better than any 'real' RPG

The name is retarded, but the definition is clear and makes sense.

it's to set them apart from sims that are unrealistic and take you out of the experience, so they're not immersive :^)

what's even the difference between hacknslash and beatemup anyways? and why do people call shmups "shooting games"? if you have a melee weapon instead of a gun then it changes genre even if everything else is the same?

>it no longer means role playing game, but roll playing game
If you want to sound smart at least say something that makes sense.

>Metroidvanias (short for Metroid-like Castlevanias) are SotN, the GBA and DS Castlevania games.
But that's not what that term is exclusively used to refer to. It refers to games in a similar style like Guacamelee and Iconoclasts.
>As soon as you ask people who disagree with this for definitions they start to get rabid and shit themselves because they see that they can't define the damn thing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroidvania
There's a very easy way to define the term, frankly I'm shocked that people couldn't just link to the wikipedia article.

why not just call it simulator?

I would call them that, yes. Anyone who has spend time playing both 2D games and 3D games on a 2D axis knows they will handle differently due to the changes in how the games are made. Are you saying that DKC and DKCR don't feel and play differently to you? Or Zero Mission and Samus Returns?

>But that's not what that term is exclusively used to refer to. It refers to games in a similar style like Guacamelee and Iconoclasts.
Those games should just be called "Metroid-style" games.

People get in an argument about linearity forgetting that not all Metroid games are wholly nonlinear.

JRPGs aren't RPGs, they're a separate type of game, but for a game to qualify as a JRPG it still has to be made in Japan.
Dark Souls is neither.

>Games like Kingdom Hearts don't play like Wizardy at all and everyone agrees that it's a JRPG
I don't. Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG. JRPGs are turn-based(ish) at the very least.

>dlc

Attached: HU.jpg (613x654, 116K)

Semantics.

he means action game where you spam roll to get around / dodge
insecure retard fag

Role: freedom to take decisions and make your own story
Roll: Numbers

have you played schwibity-schwabity-doo games?

From Software isn't japanese?

wait, you think that their physics are tied to the game being 3D instead of sprite based? you're serious?

>Metroidvania games generally feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities within the game.
My favorite Metroidvania games are Dark Souls 3 and Ocarina of Time.

>DS3
Yikes. At least pick a good DS game.

I like DaS1 but 3's fast pacing and bosses outshine 1 for me, unless you pretend that 1's latter half doesn't exist. In that case I like them both equally, maybe even 1 a bit more.

Attached: this.gif (300x186, 1007K)

I've never heard of TWO IN A HALF DEEEE before, who the fuck says shit this?

>wait, you think...
I did not say that at all. I said developmental differences lead to impacts in how the games actually function. I'm not going to argue that it is impossible to replicate a 2D game as a 3D one 1:1. I am saying in practice the games play differently. Or do you have some actual examples? MM Powered up and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins are two pretty good examples of this.

Maverick Hunter X and Castlevania X Chronicles