Demon Souls

Just beat this game and i found it pretty fucking good, almost like playing Dark Souls for first time again. No bad levels except the second archstone in the storm castle. Fuck those skeletons, ghosts and fliying ballestas.

Demon Souls thread.
Also, i didnt have the 'my guiding moonlight' scene, did i miss something?

Attached: FPS_ 29.99 _ Vulkan _ 0.0.6-8155 _ Demon's Souls [BLUS30443] 22-05-2019 20_11_18.png (1920x1080, 328K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aTT4di20FtU
demonssouls.wikidot.com/unused-content#toc0
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24883&sid=a01830920abba1d60603f8e1e94a95ac
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best game in the series. If you played it first, a lot of the charm in DaS would feel rehashed.

Flame Lurker still upsets me to this day

>my guiding moonligh
That's Bloodborne my dude.

Attached: kino.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

>Official's Top Hat
>Dull Gold Chest
>Old Raggedy Wraps
>Binded Cross Legs

#1 fashion don't even refute

It really is the best in the series. Even going back and playing it today, it has a very special feeling and aesthetic to it. I really love how unpredictable it feels; certain things are unintuitive or even nonsensical, which gives you the feeling that you are adventuring through a world not designed specifically to be beaten, but a world that exists in its own right, and you just happen to be going through. Boletarian Palace is the absolute greatest level ever made.

Is this a good example of subverting your expectations?

Attached: king-allant-large.jpg (800x585, 124K)

>fliying ballestas

You've beaten it, so here's a protip: Thieves Ring basically makes you invisible to them. Also makes everything agro from a little bit closer.

>which gives you the feeling that you are adventuring through a world not designed specifically to be beaten, but a world that exists in its own right
And the fact that it does this while still incorporating things like shortcuts is a real testament to its design.

I played Demon’s when it came it, I feel like Dark Souls’ atmosphere is completely different. Not sure if that’s what you mean by “charm,” though, but Demon’s Souls definitely has a certain aura to it that the other games lack

Not sure if I prefer it over Dark Souls, but it’s definitely the most complete game in the series (I haven’t blade Bloodborne)

>filtered by 4-2
laughing out loud

Attached: 1276975764270.jpg (837x1487, 376K)

>fliying ballestas
Wear the thief's ring.
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR THE FUCKING THIEF'S RING.

>blade
Played, what the fuck’s wrong with me

Can I play this on an emulator?

Yes, but the framerate is bad.
It probably needs another year to be emulated perfectly.

I like how From thought that ring was too good so they broke it up into two rings in dark souls

Phosphorescent pole is the most /fa/ weapon of all souls games

If anyone actually likes Dark Souls and does not feel like they should play this game than they are doing themselves a disservice and need to go play it immediately

This game reminded me why I love video games and pulled me out of the Leage of Legends/Street Fighter vortex that was ruining my life

The Moonlight blade is in there, somewhere in 5-2 I think, the swamp. It just doesn't have a cutscene or direct story importance.

>Bloodborne
Ah shit for some reason i had in my mind that scene was a king allan pahse2 or some shit like that.

Attached: 1472034736641.jpg (500x561, 256K)

I played DaS first and have to agree with this.

Cba going through all the panels, but the last two rows shouldn't be rated so high (3-3 should be right near the top, I think I stunlocked and killed him in 4 hits on my SL1 run using dragonaxe), others are harder, for example 2-2 right off the bat.

I picked up royalty thinking it was the deprived equivalent and it turned to be the strongest starting caster.
The temptation to magic my way out of everything was high.

I playing pretty fine on rpsc3. Ends credits are fucked so its feel like you dont have the aftermath after cumming

imo if you give it some thought after the first impression of disappointment (I was, I was sort of expecting a fight against the old one), I do think it is a good example.

It's also a faith weapon unlike the other games.

It can be emulated if you have the hardware, but you will likely have to scour for an older build of PCSX2 to get it run well. It did crash every now and then, but overall it ran much better than the PS3 version (stable 30 FPS with no drops, 1440p resolution, infinitely faster loading times).

Attached: 1492048619258.png (370x365, 110K)

It also ignores shields entirely. Trolling new players online with it when the game first came out was amazing.

It was such a wonder to explore this game. The colossal abandoned mine leading down to a giant spider's lair, and then deeper to a volcano, then deeper to the ancient temple and finally the dragon god. The atmosphere of dread it creates for the strange, forbidding, dying world is unmatched.

I wish I could play it but I dont own a PS3 and my PC is such a toaster that it probably wouldnt handle RPCS3

I played Demon's first and I agree. Dark Souls feels like an expansion pack. I don't feel the massive hype for das that most seem to.

I feel it's best because it was made before there were any expectations of what the game should be. After DeS it's just following a formula with little changes. Not even ones that really stick. The core of every Souls game is still DeS.

I dont know if i should be happy or mad that i didnt have to fight the old one

This.
Dark Souls is overrated because it was normies' first souls games. Most mechanics, weapons, spills and even NPCs are rehashed from Demon's Souls with minor tweaks.

3-3 is no joke if you get invaded
man... I miss invading 3-3 ;_;

>not 3-2

Attached: 21bbcbb8c080c730ad88d71e574190e99a123a29c3f757022a22650a4e0daa885g.jpg (674x310, 44K)

let's be fair
invading Latria was ludo

That is not the right image I even tried to post nor is that even what the correct filename.
>mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Attached: 3-2invasion.jpg (1209x1078, 93K)

>game just got released
>playing blind
>drop my blue summon sign in 3-1
>get summoned
>a weird cutscene plays
>I'm a black phantom in a new area
>confused as fuck
>host dies before reaching me so I get back to my world and get the hat
Took me a while to figure what the fuck happened.
Those were the days.

also
>invade someone
>he sends me a message
>"pls let me win :)"
>feel sorry for him and let hem kill me

Agreed, it's easily the best souls game.

Attached: 1314137110722.jpg (750x3216, 857K)

I think we can all agree on what the additional content should be in the remake right?

Attached: FPS_ 30.22 _ Vulkan _ 0.0.6-8155 _ Demon's Souls [BLUS30443] 06-06-2019 19_29_16.png (1920x1080, 3.3M)

>invasions my favourite mechanic in the souls series
>never participated in it during demons souls because i was an absolute turbo shitter back then
biggest regret of my life

Attached: 1467079148756.png (200x194, 21K)

is it possible to play it at 60fps?

That'd be cool, but I'm fairly certain that most things that were going to be in that world have been recycled by now.

Yes, because King Allant works as a great final boss. It's subversion without depriving the player of anything.

>2010 still feels recent
>nine years ago

Attached: 1555192595127.jpg (250x166, 5K)

There was nothing difficult about the swamp, though. It was just annoying.

Figures Yea Forums would circle jerk easy souls.

post your favorite demon souls npc.

Attached: Ostrava_of_Boletaria_01.png (420x450, 161K)

>tfw my ps3 broke before I got into souls games
>pc isn't powerful enough to emulate (though it's been over a year since I last tried)
>it's technically on ps4 but you need a japanese account and you rent the game or something, all in japanese

RRRRRUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

>starts off a nice dude
>starts becoming more obsessed with the Soul Arts
>straight up asks you to kill the Maiden in Black before the ending to ensure Soul Arts can be used forever
I love the NPCs in DeS, they all have their own small arcs that add so much flavor to the world.

Attached: sage-freke-large.jpg (1280x720, 157K)

>muh father

*ding*

Attached: mind-flayer-large.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

It's hard to think Demon souls was literally made from leftover of an abandonned game, with almost no hope for the game to actually succeed.
Did from had a game with a similar gameplay before it? i know i shares a little from Kings field but KF was in first person, not like this.

DING DING DING DING

will it ever be explained how Patches somehow keep memories of his appearance in all the games since demon souls?

>BRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAP
>HELP ME!

He's miyazaki's self insert so maybe that's why

Evergrace's combat gave me proto-DeS vibes and the atmosphere of Shadow Tower is definitely very proto-Souls.

I like world 5

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

You didn't killed her, right user?

Attached: tumblr_pealogKfia1xveeezo1_400.png (400x500, 237K)

Is it me or demon souls actually look better than dark souls 1?

I prefer the atmosphere and kind of porcelain look of DeS to the grimy DaS1 look, though DaS1 is definitely more technically impressive.
It is worth noting though that on PS3 DeS is native 720p w/ no AA compared to DaS1 being something like 680p w/ low MSAA, so it's a bit cleaner.

>I played Demon’s when it came it, I feel like Dark Souls’ atmosphere is completely different. Not sure if that’s what you mean by “charm,” though, but Demon’s Souls definitely has a certain aura to it that the other games lack
I always felt like dark souls music was mostly boring. Epic operatic stuff is neat and all but that's all it had
youtu.be/aTT4di20FtU

PC version when?

I thought that was blind? Blind and scraping spear made for rage messages

>Armor Spider's theme
Why is it so fucking groovy?
Kind of disappointed Kota Hoshino never got to do a Souls soundtrack, his stuff with FromSoft is nuts and I love it.

Attached: dancing pumpkin.gif (500x375, 901K)

never like Bloodborne officialy.
but you can emulate it easily for a now superior version of the game.

Attached: 5634634565.jpg (490x396, 58K)

i always liked the final segment of the first level, and the tower of latria. i also dig the non-linearity of demon's, something dark souls claims to have, but isn't anywhere close to.

Never ever, though you can emulate it fairly well now assuming your hardware can handle it.

I do find Dark Souls' score to be overrated, but it works very well for creating a feeling of intensity for bosses. It's just a bit forgettable, outside of Gwyn's theme. Firelink Shrine's got nothing on Maiden in Black, either

Why does des has a certain atmosphere to it that other souls games don't?

Attached: hqdefault (3).jpg (480x360, 25K)

flamelurker was such a fucking pain as a melee user

>before there were any expectations of what the game should be

Yup. Then the series was damaged by people thinking that difficulty was its most valuable aspect.

of course not, she's my waifu
2nd best world behind 1, overall.

There's a heavy specular look to it, like everything's made out of china. The enemy designs are also a lot more fantastical and since there's no worry about the world being connected, there's a lot of variety in the stages that ironically makes the world feel a lot more massive.

Demons > Dark >>>> everything else
"soulslike" fatigue is real

why does des has

Attached: 1460432334965.gif (200x155, 671K)

how is babby formed

>2020 in 6 months
GODDAMNIT user

Agreed, but I still found a lot of enjoyment out of the other games, even DS2 as shit as it is. I also haven't played Bloodborne but have been considering buying a PS4 for the longest time just to play it. I would love for From to do something different as much as the next person, but the formula just works for me

Sup?

Attached: scraping-spear-on-hand.jpg (400x357, 54K)

I wish Atlus sells the rights to Sony so we can have a butchered remaster

Good ol' 4-2. One of the most assfucking levels in the series.

Specs?

But it's offset by being the easiest place to farm souls

never ever

Attached: world 6.jpg (198x154, 24K)

I always thought it had to do with all the bad shit having happened recently.

The walls of the Boletarian Palace are still standing, the King's son is still alive, Astraea being a demon is only a rumor, etc. You're watching a kingdom fall in real time, not visiting it thousands of years later (which is also a cool concept to be clear).

If you missed those Demons Souls threads on Yea Forums almost a decade ago, you missed out on some truly fucking wonderful shit. That was the best memory I still have of this website in over 10 years. Closest thing that's come since was the DMC5 threads, and they still weren't that close.

Hopefully one of these days someone will be able to mod in a completed version. All the pieces are there, it just needs to be put together. I fucking LOVE the cut enemy designs too.
demonssouls.wikidot.com/unused-content#toc0

Biorr.

The issue is that, using Dark Souls 3 for instance, all the songs are basically the same. You could slap one bosses theme on any other boss in the game and it wouldn't really change much because of how all the songs kind of have the same tempo and rhythm. You could take Gael's phase 2 and 3 songs and slap them on the phase 1 and 2 for nameless king or Pontiff and it wouldn't feel awkward.

technically dark souls did that too, the NPC arcs, some had actual quests but others just arcs in their story, like Laurentius.

Throwback to where I first heard of this game, this exact thread from several months before the western release: shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24883&sid=a01830920abba1d60603f8e1e94a95ac

At the time Fromsoft was only known to people who were pretty into video games, and Armored Core fans. It's interesting reading back on this, knowing how it played out in the future and that its sequel would become one of the most well-known games of its time.

fpbp

>tfw I happened to get the Dragon Bone Smasher and fucked everything up, not even losing to the final boss
I literally stopped dying shortly before getting the DBS and continued not dying all the way to NG+.
Loved the game. Felt like every victory was still earned.

Attached: BONESWORD.jpg (800x533, 191K)