How would portal 3 play out?

How would portal 3 play out?

Attached: 1500683782955.jpg (636x714, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S85nudR6D-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FN2SKWSOdGM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I’m an INTP but I’m with based Isaac

It’s clearly A. The cube is not in motion

ENFP here, but Isaac was correct.

Intp here, Issac is the right

I'm just leaving this here, so you realize how little sense some people make

Attached: Bretards.png (932x580, 10K)

here we fucking go again for the billionth time

It would have to involve someone that isnt Chell
Probably a Ratman game instead of a stupid comic
As far as we know after Portal 2 he's still in the facility

>brainlet children arguing over impossible bullshit from videogames
engage in physical pleasure with someone of your preferred gender

This is a paradox with no answer
Objects and the universe cannot move in relation with themselves

Stop

Even though it's stationary on the platform, when it enters the portal, it's now moving through space on the other side of the portal due to the movement of the portal, and so it has to move at the speed the portal is moving.

portals are also, in themselves, paradoxical; your point is irrelevant, the answer is A if the logic of the game is applied

kill yourself, semanticsfag

Attached: 1553468517568.png (719x689, 507K)

Portals cant be on moving surfaces
>but that one part in Portal 2
So?

the whole world is moving, retard

It’s been a while since I’ve played, but doesn’t the portal dissipate if the surface it’s attached to begins to move?
If that’s true, then this entire discussion is irrelevant...

>implying the gun wasnt made with that in mind and other movements are what fucks it

All motion is relative. You don’t go rocketing as the earth spins around beneath you when you trip and fall over...

You retarded or something?
The exit portal is moving as well in that

Why do you keep embarrassing yourself? The portals in the OP have different velocities while yours are same.

'no'

>pic related falls on you
>you start flying

Attached: 1EBEF166-5C23-4D56-97DC-77657AC72B10.jpg (3000x2000, 592K)

Depends if kinetic energy can be transferred from the portal to the objects. I’m gonna say that can’t happen. Portals are massless. A.

The first game literally explains how portals work to you like if you were a grade schooler

"Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out"
Meaning outcome A

yeah speedy THING, not speedy portal

Whilst the portal is being pushed the air in front of the portal is going through the portal as well
So if you were standing in front of the blue portal would you be feeling wind?

holes dont have velocities

it's cute that you're trying to sound smart user

No it doesn't you are dumb.

Attached: 1455020979446.webm (356x200, 182K)

That could make for a fun game.
Drop the ellipsis, BTW.

what speed is it exiting the blue portal at user?

What

Theres got to be one physics major with a masters on Yea Forums who can answer this

not an expert, but the cube moves on the portal reference, not on the world reference so it should be B

A I mean, how could I fuck this up

Ah shit mistype, i meant B

When you walk through the portals in the game, do you take up the speed of the portals you're moving through? No, you're going the speed you were moving when you went through it.

Then why would a box take up the speed of the portal it's moving through instead of keeping the speed it was already at? The answer is it wouldn't, it would fall over.

Attached: 534987957345.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Just ask Gabe. He made the thing.

Speedy thing goes in
Speedy thing goes out

Attached: portal problem.png (569x320, 61K)

>do you take up the speed of the portals you're moving through?
the portals aren't moving ingame you fucking retard

My guess is that the metal plate won't be able to push the cube more than halfway through because it would fight it's own force.

No shit, they have 0 velocity. If they were like the portal in B. in op that'd mean when you go through them, you'd stop moving. Since the movement of the portal effects your speed coming out in that example, it also means since the portals in game are motionless, you would be motionless when you go through them.

You fucking retard.

But why does it matter if the portal or the companion cube are the speedy thing? In both cases, the cube passes the threshold or membrane of the portal at high speed.

BTFO

In Portal 2 they move sideways.

The portals are fucking holes and of all people Einstein would be the one to choose A. This has always been retarded and I refuse to believe anyone would honestly choose B.

Doesn't matter, hoopfags in this thread are here just to troll, they know that this is correct answer, but they will reply with hoop-logic arguments just for the lulz

There is no "membrane". Space continues like normal through the portals.

Jesus Christ how can you have such a warped view of the argument?
The B argument is that the difference in velocity between the two portals is added onto (or subtracted from) to anything passing between them, not that the difference in velocity replaces the velocity of objects passing between them.

so how does the cube exit the portal?

Explain this then

Because space continues like normal through the portal, dumbass.

How do we know there isn't a second cube hiding in that shape, with an invisible thruster on it to make it look like answer B? I say it's staged.

>portals are fucking holes
Space continues like normal

Why are you ignoring the part where Euclidean space gets broken just to get some (you)s from anons who have at least somewhat working brain?

If you say its staged, you can prove it by going into Gmod and doing the same thing.

Yea, euclidean space gets broken. That doesn't mean that space stops functioning. I know it's hard to understand because you're still in kintergarden, but you know how when you cut a piece of paper, it doesn't suddenly grow goop on the edges that lines you draw have to "pass through* right?

Take a sheet of paper, start in the lower left corner and go about an inch to the right. Cut into the paper about 5 inches or so (the size of your manlet penis), then take the lower left corner and bend it in so it curves up and into the rest of the paper. Now draw a line starting on one side of the strip and finish by having that line leave the strip. There was no goo wall you drew over. The paper continued like normal.

I can, but I won't. It's 3am and I'm in bed.

ignore the troll

A makes sense to me

Why in the world would the difference in the portals speed matter? How can a portal effect your velocity when it's moving but not effect your velocity when it's not?

This is like suggesting that if a door is moving towards you, when you go through the door all of a sudden you're moving faster.

Attached: dumbportals.png (1806x768, 54K)

Attached: 1554368767977.png (968x1047, 83K)

Do it. It's not like you have anything important to do.

Attached: hmm.webm (853x480, 2.88M)

your picture is unironically totally accurate

Let's imagine the person is a stationary, floating cube and the orange portal envelops it at X speed. The cube will then exit the blue portal a X speed despite entering the orange portal at 0 speed. The cube has gained X speed, which so happens to be the difference in velocities between the two portals (orange is travelling at X, blue is travelling at 0, the difference is X).
Now we apply it to your image, person enters the orange portal at Y speed, the difference is applied, the person exits at X + Y speed.

Attached: 725245425.png (467x365, 119K)

So if you walk through a moving door in real life you speed up because an open door can change your velocity. As long as it's moving.

Got it.

/thread

entrance and exit to a door move at the same velocity
the entrance and exit to these portals don't, hence the -difference- in velocities being applied

why doesnt he do it with the cube? surely the person and the cube have different weights so are effected differently by the portal?

Attached: 1559159578825.gif (500x364, 67K)

So if you jump through an a stretchy tunnel, in real life, that started stretching towards you when you started jumping towards it, and the entrance is moving towards you and the exit is staying still, when you make it through the exit you'll be moving super fast.

Got it.

>the absolute state of A fags

there is no space between portal entrances and exits

I originally was of the opinion that A was the only possible option. But, if this webm is actually of the same engine as either portal game, I'll switch over.
You don't speak for me.

B is the only example where force is applied to the cube, that being the contact with the moving panel.

Gravity's pull.

you could almost say
they're jumping through hoops

You can clearly see that the cube is colliding with the plate holding the portal. Hence why it's bouncing on top of the cube before finally forcing it through the portal.

The problem with this experiment is that the hl2 engine treats portals as a solid surface while in motion, so the box is being forced into the found then spat out as soon as the portal lies still and activates.

poortall moveve guiseee

Attached: 1554443333456.jpg (728x728, 246K)

The falling platform bounces back up, that implies it's force from falling was pushing the block not the portal travel motion. The gmod version isn't real portal physics .

Two questions
What speed does the cube exit the portal at?
And
What happens to that speed?

>what are frames of reference

>Redditjack
How emberassing

>emberassing

Attached: blckhl.jpg (1200x1000, 166K)

Newfags don't understand it's all about frame of reference and it is both simultaneously A and B without more given info.

unless the platform the cube is sitting on had a spring or something under it, i fail to see how it would ever catapult out.

A

imagine you have a door with a hole in the middle imagine the door slamming through you.what happens you stand still.

now imagine the same door but with a portal on both sides and it slamps through you, what happens. well the same thing, you stand still.

You're retarded.

do all retards have a bachelors in mathematics?

>a portal is a door
oof

You're right, but a bachelors in mathematics is irrelevant.

There is no perspective from which the cube is moving which would cause it itself to propel forward. Newton's laws don't suddenly stop applying just because of shitposting

actually no. we do some light applied physics and it does help with analytical thinking.

The portals would close, since they can't operate on moving platforms.
They have to have a fixed relation to each other in order for the bending of spacetime to work.

Attached: 1516213755209.png (1000x1000, 156K)

It doesn't help very much if you can't see how a portal on each side of a door, where each portal is moving, is different than the situation presented in OP.

>selfdiagnosing pseudoscience
Do you read your horoscope every day too faggot?

There's multiple frames of reference

THE PORTALS DISAPPEAR ON A MOVING SURFACE
EXCEPT THAT ONE TIME I GUESS

If A is true, does that imply the third option here? If the orange portal can't give the cube speed by moving, then the blue portal shouldn't be able to do so either.

Attached: two moving portals.png (1462x402, 60K)

Seething normie :^)

>establish that portals conserve momentum
>Establish that free fall through a portal will allow you to reach terminal velocity because there's a speed limit to how fast you can fall
>Nonono objects will launch themselves because the room thinks it's moving!
Fucking retard edgelords.

Newton's laws also don't allow things to move without actually moving. OP is wrong. Newton would not support A since the cube instantly gains a velocity and then instantly loses that velocity unless you do something odd with space beyond simply making a hole through it.

Are you actually retarded?

The pedestal the cube stands on now acts as the wall of the piston pushing forward where the blue portal is situated. Provided the piston moves fast enough the cube will "stick" to the wall and overcome gravity. If not it will eventually slide off the bottom.

I agree, it doesnt, but remember that the portal becomes a "point of no return" the moment the cube is pushed all the way through. The blue portal leads directly to a wall, and the cube's velocity would the the velocity of the blue portal, since its essentially just being pushed by a solid object with a velocity of v_2

Are portals space folded to make 2 points meet, or transporters that move matter from one point to another without actually joining them?

why doesn't some just make a room like this in portal and try it? it should be A but god knows how the physics in that game really work.

The game never had moving portals (except veryyyy scripted/ contained places) so it doesn't calculate the velocities of the portals

B fags need the rope

ah hem

Attached: 74586458674.png (1500x843, 962K)

The cube doesn't go through the portal until you bump it to give it momentum ingame.

See

>piston comes down at X speed
>cube exits blue portal at X speed
>after fully exiting the blue portal the cube either
A: loses all speed for no reason
B: continues moving at X speed

Since this video doesn't replicate the question, and no one else has done it, it is probably safe to assume it just doesn't work in game.

I think I see Bfags issue, they cannot abstract movement away from speed.

The cube isn't actually moving. It's being displaced. It doesn't actually have X speed.

>M-muh conservation of momentum
vs
>M-muh relativistic universe

Imagine being such a classical physics faggot and be BTFO so hard by Quantum that you seethe untill death

No Wonder Einstein is a magnet for retards

Tell us, o wise master of movement, how do you move without speed?

>portal 3 introductory sequence where you don't have the portal gun
>glados teaches you how portals work
>as part of the demonstration, this example is shown
>the player is asked whether they think A or B is going to happen
>regardless of player choice, glados carries out the experiment
>at the climax of the experiment the machine malfunctions and blows up, letting the player pick up the portal gun from the remains
>glados is surprised and says it previously worked when she tested it, and will always say that the correct option was the one the player didnt choose
>also theres a hole in the wall or something so you can escape.
Theres your intro

Attached: beer.jpg (640x640, 71K)

so it leaves the blue portal at 0m/s?

The game cannot handle moving portals and treats them as walls if they collide with a motionless object.
The real redpill is that the question is paradoxical in nature and doesn't have a correct answer.

>How would portal 3 play out?
Answering this since everyone else is too busy replying to bait.

Ideally, Portal 3 would have been a massive tie-in with Half-Life 3 with the portal gun being introduced as a weapon, and maybe a couple of puzzle levels to boot. Beyond that, hopefully a couple of new mechanics would have been introduced like object size manipulators, handheld time-dialators, and phase-changers that let you temporarily shift through solid objects.

The cube never had speed to begin with. It's motion is only relative to the orange portal. If cube's frame of reference is no longer tied to the orange portal or the orange portal is no longer moving, the cube has no relative motion.

The portal is a hole. There is nothing there to impart motion on the cube.

I'd put a boogey dollar down.

This is where the abstract thinking comes in, ye of sarcastic countenance.

Naturally the cube emerges from the blue portal at whatever speed the orange portal moves at. But this doesn't translate to the cube having the speed of the orange portal. The orange portal, for lack of a better term, displaces the cube out of the blue portal at its velocity, but it doesn't transfer said velocity to the cube.

Once the portal stops moving by reaching the flat of the pedestal, the cube stops at its full height out of the blue portal. The pedestal now acting as "floor" of the incline.

This raises an interesting question of at what emergence gravitys pull sideways and down would start making the cube slide, but assuming the pedestal slams quickly, it wouldn't come into play.

Until gravity grips it and makes it slide, yes.

>posting this image with those two science bitches on them

get the fuck outta here

Valve didn't actually make Portal. They bought the game idea from a bunch of students and polished it up.
Their game was called Narbacular Drop and the portals were the mouths of a sentient dungeon.

There is no membrane, no field, no surface of any kind. Its a hole. Cut an oval out of a piece of paper and lower if over a cube and you have everything that would happen if it were a portal.

It depends on whether you view the portals as physical objects, folds in spacetime, or as magical objects that teleport what goes through.

Attached: noetherportals.png (636x694, 164K)

It right though
Depending on which theory portal physics are based then the result differs
A with Newton, B with Einstein

A, while the cube is in motion relative to the portal, it is stationary relative to the destination.

no you fucking retard
only correct answer

t. retard

Because momentum in one situation and none in the other

I pick C. Portals don't exist.

Attached: 1558614886958.png (875x1111, 435K)

if the cube never moves it can't exit the portal

For the cube to get from Orange Portal to Blue Portal, it has to travel through some amount of space-time. No matter how the space-time has been manipulated with portal technology, it's still space-time, and the cube still has to travel through it to get to the exit wormhole. To do this it needs energy. It would retain that energy as it exited.

youtube.com/watch?v=S85nudR6D-Y

Attached: 3cup.jpg (294x273, 14K)

See

IDK your mum was pretty quick last night

thats not portal

next

Attached: 74887468674.png (643x667, 112K)

C.
Portals can't be placed on moving objects, fuckwit.

Attached: 1495805264966.png (427x427, 307K)

>anime

Attached: animejewjap.jpg (2636x2711, 1.55M)

something can't move if it doesn't have speed

Why is the Jew unhappy in the first panel? They're going to go consume a product anyways.

>someone wasted their time making this

When you consider how Portals actually work within the games (with the additional assumption that portals on moving surfaces are possible), the answer is B. The block will shoot out of the blue portal.
You can't actually use the laws of conservation of energy or momentum to argue for A because portals violate both laws.
First, in the context of the Portal games, you can use a portal to move from a lower location to a higher location. When you come out of the higher portal, you have gained energy due to the extra potential energy of being in a higher location. Thus, portals do not obey the law of conservation of energy. If portals actually existed, then the portal gun would need to be designed to add or remove energy from objects going through the portals, though some sort of electromagnetic field coupling or other techno-jiggery. Otherwise, portals couldn't be at different heights. Since they can be at different heights, then portals must be able to add or remove energy from objects passing through them.

(1/2)

Second, in the Portal games, when you go through a portal, you come out the other side moving at the same speed you entered, but in the direction the exit portal is facing, which may be in a completely different direction than the entrance portal. Since momentum includes direction, if a portal changes the direction you are moving in, it has changed your momentum. Regardless of what the game narration claims, what portals actually conserve is speed relative to the entrance portal. In the games, if you put both portals on the floor and then jump into one of them from a great height, your momentum when you come out the other one is completely different from when you went in, because you're moving in the opposite direction. Thus, portals do not obey the law of conservation of momentum. In reality, in order to conserve global momentum, the portals would receive impulses from any objects that pass through them with a non-zero velocity. Thus, in the previous example with the portals on the floor, let's put the portals on top of pistons instead. When you jump into the first portal, the piston it's on would be pushed down as it absorbs your momentum. When you come out of the other portal, its piston would also be pushed down in order to balance out your new upward momentum.
So, the result in the OP's situation would be B, with the additional consequence that the blue portal's block would receive an impulse in the opposite direction that the block is moving and the portal gun would need to either expend or absorb some energy if the portals are at different heights.

(2/2)

And portals don't exist. You are allready arguing over absurdities. Too bad you literally can't accept the obvious.

NEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!

Why do we experience seasons?

Because white people are entering a relationship, means white children. Anime is an extremely low quality product, the stories are horrible, it's Always over the top (can't moderate for shit) doesn't follow any semblence of logic (irl or world established) and got invented using US marshall aid money. it's a easy way to make alot of money from dumb people and corrupt their minds.

It doesn't lose speed because it never had any to begin with you massive retard.

>Anime is an extremely low quality product
Get a load of this guy

Attached: 91AF3BBB-FFCD-4C23-9599-2AB2AC453610.jpg (900x740, 108K)

if it doesn't have speed it can't move and if it can't move it can't exit the portal in the first place

why is more white children a problem? That's just cheaper labor and more consumers

are you implying western animation is good? hasn't been for a long time either. Anime is more like Gangrene where Western Animation is just shit.

Of course. And the Jews are out to get you and corrupt your children. All right, gramps, time for your foot bath.

Because jews hate white civilisation and whites are too intelligent to directly enslave. mutts are not.

take your pills

Jew here, I love European cultures. British, German, French, Italian, Russian... They're all wonderful.
Don't speak for us plox.

>whites are too intelligent to directly enslave.

Attached: 155939391674.jpg (150x130, 7K)

>He says while on an anime website
Go watch something good or stop trying to make me laugh

Attached: F23758B1-A1CD-4209-A16F-85758AFBA144.jpg (377x567, 19K)

Where is the cube supposed to go once the blue portal reaches it? Out the other side. Gravity does the rest and it's A. Cope.

well time to end this thread i guess

Attached: 1559546954025.jpg (700x4989, 649K)

more like, whites are too cucked to enslave anymore

>Where is the cube supposed to go
how is it supposed to go anywhere without moving?

then you're a sacrificial jew, you know, that got throw at the holocaust to establish Israel. Does your nose even look like this? If not, that confirms it.

over the world? yeah. chinese are filthy hyenas, arabs are machines running on blood and africans need no introduction. so yeah?

Concession accepted. Anime has made an exodus to a handful of boards.

Attached: jewbirds.jpg (1200x1205, 143K)

>all this to say : portals aren't reeaaal man

Kek.
You're retarded. Nice zoomer meme.

>zoomer

I beat Bash Crasher on the Funstation when you sitll were in your dad's ballsac, you know, home sweet home for you.

>over the world? yeah. chinese are filthy hyenas, arabs are machines running on blood and africans need no introduction. so yeah?
white are the only race who got cucked by jews, really makes me think

quantum tunneling. phasing ot another dimension for a bit is teleportation.

the other races do a great job at self-destruction. no need.

>Thought this thread couldn't get any more cancerous
>jew conspiracy man shows up, killing the cancer with an even worse cancer

>Concession accepted
If you don’t watch anime you don’t belong on Yea Forums/4channel you r_thedonald nigger

All the retards who cry it's b and your a brainlet if you don't think that are ignoring that they are implying a portal is a collision, or they have created energy out of nowhere, because top loses its energy to bottom, not the cube it didn't touch.

>Uses quantum tunneling to explain a macroscopic phenomenon
>Thinks he knows anything
m8.
Also what the fuck are you on about with "phasing to another dimension"? Those words don't mean what you think they do.

>Le portal is not a door
It literally is, it's at the heart of why portals don't move in-game. The moving portal is literally moving that entire physical reality to the cube, not the other way around. There is nothing to give that cube velocity other than the gravity of it's new position. Yes, the portals unironically act like doorways/holes.

he's right though, anime got contained to one section. It's badly made shit that people only pretend to like, like beer, for social brownie points.

You realize two of the most important men in quantum physics, Niels Bohr and Richard Feynman were Jews, right?

>he's right though
No, he isn’t.

All Idiots. Sorry.
The only possible answers are B and C where C is "no answer due to no portals possible"

Already explained it, but if you really want something a little more comprehensible just imagine what how the situation would look like at: 1) The cube being 1/3 of the way through and 2) the cube being 2/3 of the way through on the OUTGOING portal for the scenarios A) The piston with a portal goes down on the cube or B) the piston with the cube goes up to the portal.
The observation on the outgoing portal for both scenario A and B would be the exact same on both situations thus everything after that will also look the same. Objects cannot just be in the exact same reference situation at one time, being shoved through the portal, and then just behave completely different once they are out.

It's like you guys are arguing over the unstoppable force hitting an unmovable object when in reality there is no distinction between the two.

it's the only explanation that comes somewhat near. Dimension means how many depths something has. see: Tesseract. Maybe another universe? anyway, tunneling makes thing go poof for a bit; it's not instant as they're gone longer than the ''framerate'' of IRL: plancktime.

Isaac jews BTFO

I have to admit I copypastad these 2 textwalls.

>It's the only explanation that comes somewhat near
No, it really isn't. For macro-scale stuff, something like a wormhole makes a lot more sense, even if it implies some crazy energy distribution in and around the portal.
Quantum tunneling isn't something you can manipulate consistently on the scale portals work at, it's a weird behavior of quantum systems that you can only really notice a real-life effect from on a statistical level, if at all.
>Dimension means how many depths something has. See: Tesseract
While that's almost right, you fuck up by immediately saying that extra dimensions imply other universes. That's not the case at all. Extra dimensions are just extra directions things could move in, independently of the other ones.

>The "framerate" of IRL: plancktime
I'd recommend laying off the popsci. Planck time is not the framerate of physics, it's the rough timescale where we need quantum gravity to describe what happens in detail. Having a discrete "framerate" at all would fuck with relativity on a fundamental level, destroying the theories that Planck time comes from to begin with.

yeah but isn´t a 4 spacial dimensional universe not ours? we only have 3 dimensional objects.

and about plancktime, aren´t placnk units the hard limit for something? Like planck length for example. Isn´t plancktime the time a photon needs to travel the plancklength?

Stays still

ISFP here
Where my boys at?

almost worst type, INFP is the ultimate cancer type.

t. INTJ

Because of inertia. There's no effect of inertia on the cube in A, however there is in B due to the force of the platform moving up pushing the cube. It's like being in a car and suddenly stopping. You get pulled forward due to the force of push the car has on your body. If this wasnt obvious to all the people in the thread, then you really are all brainlets. t. Only studied physics in high school 7 years ago.

Attached: 1446299807140-03.png (900x719, 655K)

We're not actually sure how many dimensions the universe has. It's at least 3 space, 1 time, but string theorists need up to 21 for their equations to be solvable. Most of those dimensions are "compactified" dimensions, though, where if you go too far in either direction along that dimension you just loop around.

And yes, the planck units are a kind of limit, though more of a soft one. As I said, they're the limit to how small phenomena can be before our physics models break down. We'd need a proper theory of quantum gravity to describe anything as small as a planck length, happening around the same amount of time as a planck time.

>the other races do a great job at self-destruction. no need.
>mudslims all over europe
>spics all over burgerland
yep, totally

This user speaks the truth.

t. ENFP

highschool physics isn't going to help you. and you are wrong.

Absolute brainlet reasoning. If you placed a cube in front of the blue portal, the first cube would knock the 2nd cube flying, it wouldn't transfer your retarded portal non-speed displacement energy into the 2nd cube. Now apply this knocking to molecules within the first cube.

Muslims are a virus, when they infect a country they start degrading it. they're a bioweapon.

what were your ''pleasures'' with THEM?

I feel they're the blank slate for a SJW: oversensetive and uses woman-logic (regardless of gender)

you're lost in space, Yea Forums and NASA wants to test their latest tech to save you: they'll just fucking throw a portal at you, what do you feel as you see the portal approach?

Attached: Untitled 1.jpg (1280x720, 219K)

They have to move the portal on the earth side at the same velocity as the space one in order for B to happen and not A. Which is also why on OP's question B is the right answer.

A friend of mine is INFP and he is the whiniest piece of shit alive. I find that a lot of them tend to project a lot of their faults onto others and proceed to whine about them. What a fucking travesty of a personality.

pretty sure if it's a, /IF/ you'll move so fast the air can't move beside you intime and you'll induce atomic fusion. boom-boom nuke basicly.

even then, I'll give everyone a fair chance. why is he sitll your friend though?

So you say if the top portal came down at 70 mph the cube would be come out at 70mph and the moment it's completely through it would just stop? Nice logic JS Brain.

Literally B. Refer to . Inertia doesn't work the way you think it does, but then again we're talking about shit that doesnt exist, so for all I know a portal moving at you would cause you to have sex

Because he plays fighting games with me. That's really just about it.

Imagine being this dumb. Portal act like a fucking window frame.

No dipshit. They would have to match the velocity of the astronaut. The portal's velocity is irrelevant.

It's not if one of the portals is moving, which is the whole conundrum here.

Well yes, they have to match the velocity that the space portal has to the astronaut.
Both are relevant. If they'd only match the velocity of the astronaut then relative to what? The cosmic microwave background?

Relative to earth, 1/3rd-stein

Portal 3....

..the card game

Inertia relative to what? If you argue inertia what about the inertia that the earth has relative to the CMB? Then, due to the different orientations of the portals the cube would have to go in the direction the earth was moving through the CMB relative to the different orientation of the portals.

Also relevant to

>It's not if one of the portals is moving
It is. Portal is a window frame. You won't get propelled into the air if window frame will fall on you.

>portals are magic space holes
>hole meaning NOT STUFF
>cube movement relative to portal is irrelevant, cube is a thing, portal isn't
A, The cube has no momentum and inherits nothing from the portal, as the portal has nothing to give.

youtube.com/watch?v=FN2SKWSOdGM

Imagine a portal moving at 30mph in 1) the direction the portal is facing and 2) the opposite direction the window is facing.
You jump at 5mph through the stationary entry portal. What is your velocity relative to the exit space?
Make a snapshot at 1/2 of your body through. What inertia, relative to the space they currently occupy, does the half of your body on the entry portal side and the other half on the exit portal have?
At what speed does the exit part of your body move relative to the exit space?

People who answer A on OP's question can't think outside the box and don't understand velocity relative to frames of reference and cling to their High School Physics.

We don't need another Portal game.

>physics of b is one day applied to real life
>people try to leave the room they where in
>they all start being shot out of the doors like speeding bullets
>mfw

Attached: group-of-blurred-people-walking-thr-stock-images_csp16813750.jpg (450x320, 28K)

>stand in front of the blue portal
>box coming out of the blue portal violently pushes you away and probably kills you
>"b-but the cube is not in motion" thinks the A-fag as every bone in his body breaks

It's fucking B you absolute morons.

>at what speed does the exit part of your body move relative to the exit space
It moves at 0. You literally just proved A right

>box literally moving relative to the blue portal as it goes out of it

It fucking is retard

To add to this if you really want to cling to your inertia and that the passing body would have to be smushed because it accelerates so fast now.
For the body it's the space being accelerated in the opposite way that the portal is facing.

Attached: answer.jpg (1000x714, 111K)

Have you ever seen hula hoop? Portal is a hula hoop.

>he still doesn't get it
of course the cube is going to kill you. But then it has to come to a stop after it passes completely through the portal.
It's literally that simple, stop being retarded

>What is Egypt
>What is Babylon

>le hoop/door theory

A hoop/door has both its sides moving relative to the object. The example in OP's image has one side moving while the other one is stationary. It's not the same, you braindead mongoloid.

wouldn't the force of the portal moving downward be transferred to the pedestal. so what energy is causing the cube to jump again?

So half of your body is stationary relative to exit space while the exit portal itself moves at 30mph?
That would mean that the body is scattered through the room.

>redditjack
heres your (you) tranny

the orange portal would dissipate when the surface moves.

>it has to come to a stop after it passes completely through the portal.
why?
what is causing this stop?

no that means your arm moves at 0 relative to both the entrance and the exit portal. That's the only thing that matters.
Where those portals are in absolute space and what speed they're moving at is literally irrelevant.

So if the cube slams the shit out of you, where does it get the energy to do so if it's "stationary"?

Why does that energy somehow only affect the person standing in front of the cube and not the cube itself?

Hint: It's because A is not the right answer.

>What energy is being transferred to the cube?
Portal bullshit energy, same kind that you get from a cube falling through a bottomless portal tunnel in the actual game?

>It's not the same
It is.

The body, in this case the cube, does not experience an acceleration. But it will still move with the speed of the incoming portal through the
frame of reference of the exit space. Hence B is the correct answer.

the fact that the moving platform smashes into the floor.
Platform stops = portal stops = cube stops moving after passing through

the space inside the portal is not in motion user, only the surface that the portal is projected onto. its not a window it a portal

Wrong, see and

>same kind that you get from a cube falling through a bottomless portal tunnel in the actual game
Only thing cube got from falling through portal tunnel is gravitational acceleration and nothing more.

how is a falling cube and a stationary cube the same?

>what is a frame of reference

>But it will still move with the speed of the incoming portal
Nope. It would only move, if platform with cube would move to the portal, not the other way.

the platform/portal stop because it slammed into the floor
the cube however does not slam into the floor
so once again, why does the cube stop?

The energy comes from the platform that's falling on the cube. It doesn't actually have to transfer the energy to the cube unless you try and stop it by standing in its way at the exit portal.
The thing pushing the cube in your face would be the floor in that case

but it literally is moving out of the exit portal at the speed it's entered into the orange portal

>He doesn't understand that the cube gains potential energy every time it passes from the lower portal to the upper portal

They aren't the SAME, but the core principle that portals don't conserve energy is the same.

You mean 0 because the cube itself is not moving and there is no force acting upon the cube? This is high school-tier physics, user.

>He doesn't understand that the cube gains potential energy every time it passes from the lower portal to the upper portal
Are you high? Throwing the cube through portal tunnel is the same as throwing it off the roof.

>doesn't experience acceleration
>moves with the speed of incoming portal
literally a direct contradiction

It's irrelevant if the portal is coming to you or you come to the portal.
Just as you cannot distinguish gravity from acceleration. The only difference is that
the "inertia" in one is in the body passing through and in the other it's in the exit space.

If you would move with 30mph into a portal that comes toward you at 40mph you would exit at 70mph from the viewpoint of the exit space.
You would not feel an acceleration of 40mph upon exiting because from your viewpoint the exit space is moving 40mph in the opposite direction that the portal is facing.

Cube is not moving, it got zero speed, that will increase because of his new position and gravitation. It will slide, not fly.

>hula Hooping
>it slides down
>im launched into orbit
this is how b fags sound

See brainlet.

>It's irrelevant if the portal is coming to you or you come to the portal.
It's not, retard. You can even see the difference IRL, without fucking portals.

>the cube can exit the portal at 0m/s
nice joke

>Deny
>I have proof
>I won't show proof.

The only one joke in this entire thread is your education.

>the platform can push you, an object that's on the other side of the portal
>but it cannot push the cube, an object that's on the other side of the portal

Okay retard.

because it never began to move in the first place.
Once it has completely passed through the portal and the falling platform stopped, it remains on the floor and slowly slides down. Hence A is correct

It doesn't need to:

no seriously, how can something move at 0m/s

But what is stopping it from continuing at its speed? You haven't answered that. It's speeding towards you and then suddenly stops.

the platform doesn't push anybody.
The floor that the cube is sitting on does because the portal if falling on it.
Literally middle school mechanics

>distance between the front of the cube and the blue portal constantly increasing as the cube is pushed through the orange portal
>the very definition of movement
>"it's not moving tho!!!!!"

Go back to school, please

the only way i can see it be b is if the pedestal is moving upward. B bitches are completely retarded otherwise

>I won't show proof.
Try moving this upward and stop your hand, ball will fly upward.

Attached: paddle ball.jpg (425x425, 16K)

Depends where you consider the force of gravity acting. If you consider that the force of gravity would work towards the bottom platform, then it will be 0m/s, if you assign it to the ground after the blue portal, the cube will literally just fall to the floor, but if we take into account that gravity doesnt just stop, then you have what will most likely happen given our understanding of physics: the cube will slide down until it is outside of the portal, then only be affected by one source of gravity, depending on the slope angle.

THE CUBE IS OCCUPYING NEW SPACE YOU STUPID FUCKING AFAGS

IT IS BEING LITERALLY FORCED OUT OF THE BLUE PORTAL

IT MUST, LOGICALLY, COME OUT OF THE BLUE PORTAL INCH BY INCH AS FAST AS THE ORANGE PORTAL IS COMING DOWN ON IT BECAUSE IT HAS NOWHERE ELSE TO GO

WHAT IS THAT IF NOT MOTION?

Actual physics major here. B is correct. Let me explain and end this debate once and for all.

Observing the exit portal would show us the cube in motion at the same speed the entry portal is moving. For it to come to a complete stop like in A however, there would need to a an equally strong force counteracting it as soon as it exits the portal completely. But where would that force come from? B on the other hand behaves as predicted, the cube keeps moving with the same speed as it completely leaves the portal. But, as many have noted here: The cube itself has no motion energy. So how can we solve this paradox? Simple: If one portal is in motion, while the other is not, it HAS to transfer its motion energy to the object passing through the stationary exit. Similarly, if the portals are moving in the opposite direction, the energy on the object would be multiplied.

This is why in the object would stay resting, since both portal move with equal speed in the same direction.

Attached: science.gif (300x174, 899K)

replace the word portal with door frame.
Unfuck yourself.

So? Please explain. I am waiting.

What is the force acting upon the cube? A push, a pull, inertia? Answer: there is no force, you retard. Besides gravity, that is.

In any situation it's B, because the normal force of the pedastool combined with the inertia of the cube sends it flying out the other side.

well the cube would stop coming into the portal as soon as the portal stopped assuming it worked like a window, the real problem with this question is that energy is being created from nothing by the cube passing through the portal so portals wouldnt be possible in the first place

>no seriously, how can something move at 0m/s
Imagine you sitting on the floor, not moving, and then your house will roll by 90 degree, you will slide.

Why does this image ignore the fact that portals can't exist on moving surfaces

>calling the platform that the cube is sitting on "floor"

Okay, you're a special case. Again, if the "floor"/platform is pushing you through the cube, then it automatically pushes the cube too.

unknown
we don't know how, we just know what
and the "what" is B

The cube does not experience any acceleration, but it will have velocity in the exit space frame of reference. See

Waiting for what? That's the result of scenario where platform with cube would move to the portal. When portal move to the platform, ball/cube won't fly upward, because it got no acceleration.

you missed the part were I'm teared through a space hole, emerging from it at the speed it's placed upon me

AFAGS CANNOT ANSWER THIS
>AFAGS CANNOT ANSWER THIS
AFAGS CANNOT ANSWER THIS
>AFAGS CANNOT ANSWER THIS

are you literally retarded. what happens to the pedestal, are you saying no force is acting on it after something came crashing down on it

the cube always moves at 0m/s because no forces acted on it.
It only looks like it's moving because the platform is falling. The platform is like a piece of paper with a hole in it. The cube simply goes through that hole, but if you look at it from the side, it will appear to "move" upwards through the hole in the paper.
Even though in reality it was the paper falling instead

>people unironically think B would happen
Riddle me this, retards. What happens if the first portal were to stop, so that the cube is halfway through the portal? Fucking nothing, it would be halfway in the portal, stationary. It's not going to get sucked into the portal and go flying out. You literally have a double digit IQ if you think B would happen. There's zero force being applied to it.

It doesn't need acceleration you dimwit. If you cannot parse this picture and comprehend velocities in frames of reference gtfo.

To add to that, I wouldn't call it inertia like since in the case of portals we are dealing with an object at complete rest in the beginning. Which is why I propose a transfer of energy as a property of portals.

There doesn't need to be any additional force to move it when it's ALREADY moving relatively to what's inside the blue portal the moment the orange portal starts moving.

If you're next to the blue portal and you look at the cube, you can see it moving towards you. It's getting closer to you, the distance between you is decreasing, and distance changing is the very definition of movement.

afags literally jump through hula hoops to explain how something can exit a stationary door without moving

It won't give you any speed. Portal is hula hoop, you coming through HOLE, so yeah, my example is absolutely correct.

See argue against that please.

it doesn't push the cube, the cube just goes through the hole and stops once it goes completely through. If you block the hole for the cube with yourself, then you're gonna get hit.
But otherwise no energy transfer to the cube happens

>put 100 ton block on pedestal
>slam portal against it
>all of a sudden 100 tons of weight have been set in motion by nothing

if portals did exist, it would be safest to assume that all they do is teleport one object to another point in space exactly as they were behaving in their original space

Are you in preschool? Potential energy is a basic physics concept and a huge part of conservation of energy.

The cube would likely jump with less force because of the forward momentum in the mass of its upper half. If you can't conceive of that you're beyond retarded. The laws of physics aren't a yes or no binary faggot

What comes crashing on it is the mechanism on which the portal is placed, the portal itself does not interact with it. I'm not talking about the energy of the whole mechanism, just of the portal.

>hole argument
user think for a second
the reason something exits from a hole being dropped on it is because the exit is moving downwards with the entry
with these portals, the entry is dropped down but the exit is stationary
that's why the cube must be accelerated in order to exit

>you're gonna get hit
>But otherwise no energy transfer to the cube happens

THEN HOW DO YOU GET HIT IF THERE'S NO ENERGY TRANSFERRING YOU LITERAL MOUTHBREATHER

It's materializing in a completely separate space. It's motion only in the sense that it was at one point and now is at another. It is not motion in a conventional sense, where there was linear travel from point A to point B. Thus, attempting to apply conventional mechanics of motion is fucking retarded and pointless, and shows nothing but that your brain is smoother than a babby's bottom.

Let's all point at this brainlet and laugh.

When a portal moves, the entire universe is also moving behind it.

The cube does not experience acceleration, but will be moving at a different speed than the rest of the universe, causing it to "fly" outwards.

Earth's rotation is moving east, i walk through my door going west. i exit my door at Earth's rotational speed.

this is what b tards are arguing

that image in the right corner is literally incorrect. "From the viewpoint of the cube" it is stationary compared to the floor in the first panel, but then in the top right it suddenly gains the platform's speed away from the floor.
Unless something pushed it from the bottom, there is nothing to give the cube that speed

Somebody with WH knowledge post about moving black and white holes as portals.

There is no forward momentum, giga-brainlet. It's not "moving", it's being transposed.

>that's why the cube must be accelerated in order to exit
Nope. Cube will exit, because there is no place for it on original platform.

You said nothing in this post, you just changed "moving" to "materializing" as if portals deconstruct objects at the atomic level and rearrange them somewhere else. You're fucking wrong, because if you observed the OP scenario happening you would see the cube physically emerging from the portal at the speed that the orange portal is coming out of it.

>The relative motion of two reference frames isn't real motion

But that's fuckin' wrong brainlet. This problem is confusing because both reference frames are the same space due to the moving portals, but YOU dumbass explanation is so far removed from any physics that if you apply it to someone sitting still in a moving car, they could jump out of the car without issue because they're not "really moving".

Okay, so if you're too retarded to understand relative motion how about gravity? What about the gravity acting on the top half of the cube suddenly and inexplicably? You retard afags cling so hard to your broken hula hoop and door analogies when a literal physicist said that B is what would happen in proven correspondence like a million threads ago

>When a portal moves, the entire universe is also moving behind it.

>as if portals deconstruct objects at the atomic level and rearrange them somewhere else
That's the only conceivable way they could work, idiot. You think it's just a magic hole that connects two points in space?

"Stationary" is a concept inside of frames of references.
The cube does not experience any acceleration. From the viewpoint of the Cube there is a portal coming from above then the world starts moving, the gravity changes and wind due to the difference in speed between you and your surroundings.

ALL HOLE ARGUMENT SUPPORTS PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE

Attached: 7684584674.png (896x800, 14K)

Idiot, both frames of your door are moving in the same direction at the same speed. Now, think about what would happen if one frame of your door would be moving at the earth's rotational speed, while the other would be stationary. Then you're talking about the scenario given here.

Easy.
If you extend your arm through the exit portal to try and stop the cube from going completely through, the falling platform won't be able to fall all the way down and will collide with your arm that's trying to stop it.
Otherwise it will fall all the way down with no problem and just give all its energy to the floor without even affecting the cube, because the portal is JUST A HOLE

And at what speed does it exit?

because the floor and itself are moving at 0

it's not moving at all the space around it is

>You think it's just a magic hole that connects two points in space?
Space as a continuum that can be manipulated is a lot less "magic" than completely alakazaming objects from one place to another at the atomic level, including biological organisms, and having them arrive intact. Don't use this dumbass fallacy when we're discussing pure sci-fi theoreticals in the first place you retard, now you're just pulling shit out of your ass. There's zero evidence that portals work the way you just implied they do

you can't move through a stationary exit while remaining stationary, you must move through it

Exactly.
But the cube never changes its frame of reference. It just gets transported to a different place in space instantly, while retaining its previous velocity.
So there is no way it can accelerate while just sitting on the floor being stationary

>imagine something that physically can't exist
and he's the idiot

You can.
If the exit itself moves towards you.
You know, exactly like in the fucking image

B is obviously the correct answer, but what if the cube was glued to the platform? How would an object react if it had sudden kinetic energy imparted to it without something touching it to impart that energy? Would there be thud sound as it tried and failed to move off the platform?

>There's zero evidence that portals work the way you just implied they do
And there's even less that implies they work the way you're implying they do, jackass.

The physics of the game are made up and make no sense so there can be no answer based on logic.

>imagine something that physically can't exist
that's what we're doing when talking about PORTALS you fucking retard

You're an idiot, the portal doesn't transfer any force to the object going through it, all it does is connect space together in a windowframe, only the other side is not logically connected in 3D space. For the purposes of this experiment, the other side of the window being logical or illogical has no tangible difference.
So riddle me this dumbfuck, if you do this same experiment with an empty frame falling on/through the box, does the box do anything?

Same thing, dummy.

you don't have moving portals in the game, silly

Attached: s4s1vd546xh11.jpg (1020x797, 293K)

the exit, the blue portal, is completely stationary in the image user

>B is obviously the correct answer, but what if the cube was glued to the platform?

it would behave in a similar fashion to if you glued a rock to a catapult

What about gravity? Did it stop working on the bottom half? How is gravity going to result in it shooting at a 45 degree angle anyway?

Introversion is a myth and an excuse to avoid applying yourself
Work hard and you will untrain your "introversion/autism"

We can observe objects moving wholly through the portals intact from one point in space to another so it's logical to assume that the portals themselves are a fold in space and there's no instantaneous atom scrambling going on because that itself is a physical paradox considering the implied motion of an object leaving a portal. As a matter of fact, there's momentum conservation in the damn games themselves so how could portals ever work the way you're saying they do? You got nothing to back that assertion up at all

If the cube is moving at 0mph as it's exiting, how does it reach 1 meter out from the exit before stopping?

>animeposter
>retarded
>r*ddit spacing
Checks out

Yes but you go IN the orange portal, not the blue one. And the orange one is moving

You don't have moving portals in the game because the devs couldn't program that physically intense shit, because the answer is fucking B

if you pick b you are literally /r/edditscum and don't belong here

>Space as a continuum that can be manipulated is a lot less "magic" than completely alakazaming objects from one place to another at the atomic level
Okay, retard, so what happens when the object is halfway through and the portal gets cut off?

But the catapult is touching the rock, and the acceleration is gradual instead of instant like it would be with the portal.

The oncoming portal is analogue for the whole part of space moving toward you.
Imagine there would be a circular portal, but a thin membrane that spans the whole ecliptic.
So you you'd pass through the membrane at the speed the oncoming space it is moving.
In relative terms YOU are moving toward the new space, there is no difference. For the sake of argument
only you pass through the membrane into the other space and no other objects.
Now, despite having experience no acceleration ( a cub with water would not ripple or anything) you are moving
with the same speed as the space was coming toward you inside the new space.

Is this really so hard to comprehend? You guys are really hanging up on "portals" see it more outside of the box in
terms of space and not some kind of "hoop" or "window".

It's like a huge floating body of water is coming at you. You yourself float "stationary". Yet, when the floating body of water, the "other space"
hits you, you will experience drag. You are "moving throught the water" from the perspective of the floating water body.

I cannot make it any simpler than this.

Anyone saying A is retarded. From the time the yellow portal touches the edge of the cube to the time the moving platform touches the stationary one, the platform has moved a distance equal to the width of the cube, W, over a time interval T.

It's velocity is thus W/T = V

On the other end of the portal, the leading edge of the cube has moved the width of the cube, W over that same time period, T.

It's velocity is W/T.... it equals V

The midpoint of the cube has moved W/2 in a time period of T/2

(W/2)/(T/2) = W/T = V

EVERY POINT ON THE CUBE follows this same pattern. By the very definition of velocity the cube is moving at the exact same speed exiting the portal is it went in relative to that frame of reference.

This is inarguable.

I'm not him, but a portal is not a window frame. It's a portal.
The main rule we learn in portal about how they work is speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out. Imagine you're standing next to the blue portal looking into it. The orange portal then moves down on top of the cube, and you see the cube come out of the blue portal.

Now, for the sake of example, imagine the platform that the cube is sitting on is smaller than one of the cube's sides - so from your point of view, you literally can only see the cube. The orange portal then moves on top of it, and from your perspective, it looks like the cube is coming towards you. From your frame of reference, the cube is moving.
Imagine instead of the orange portal moving on top of the cube, the cube itself is now being launched into the orange portal. You're still looking into the blue portal, same spot. What do you see? You see the exact same fucking thing. From your perspective, the cube is MOVING out of the blue portal. What's the difference from your perspective - the blue portal - in these two situations? Absolutely fucking nothing. The cube launches out. It launches out because of frame of reference of the blue portal.
Don't think of the cube entering the orange portal. Think of it coming OUT of the blue portal.

Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out. For all the blue portal fucking cares, the cube is moving no matter what. It's impossible for this situation to ever be A.

You can't even apply my argument to a person in a car you fucking idiot, my whole argument is that this scenario is not a conventional one like the one you're describing.

pol here it's b

Was distracted, please ignore the typos and double words >.

By using the fucking portal that's falling right on it.
The portal is literally just transporting matter instantly from one point to another without changing its velocity. That's the whole point of the game

The platform the cube is on would have to be moving to result in B.

I already answered that some few replies up, the object is pulled upwards slightly by the foward motion of its own upper mass. There are physical examples of this in real life, what happens when you slam the brakes on a car that was previously going 60mph? Everything inside jolts forward

Gravity would shift the cube to a new position even from the perspective of the orange portal. So in some way or another you have to concede that portals are more than just ordinary doorways and new forces are being applied to the cube based on environmental factors, such as gravity and motion.

>But the catapult is touching the rock, and the acceleration is gradual instead of instant like it would be with the portal.

The acceleration is not instant. The orange portal (and the universe behind it) accelerate towards the cube, and when they meet, the cube finds itself at a different velocity than the universe.

At no point does the cube change its energy state, except in relation to the universe that was accelerated towards it.

Imagine: If a house was flung towards you, and you ducked to fit in the front door, you would still be flying through the house, no?

>the cube is moving
CUBE IS NOT MOVING. Is it that hard to understand?

>b-b-b-but the game
You can't even replicate this scenario in the game so that's beside the point.

all that and you didn't say anything meaningful
literally kys and stop larping as someone smart

but how do you exit a stationary exit while remaining stationary?

But you never entered any "new" space. You are still in absolute space, not moving relative to anything else. The portal just transported your matter to a new point in this absolute space.
The speed the platform is falling only affects how fast you get transported. After the teleport, your absolute speed relative to the "new" floor you're standing on is still 0. Just like it was 0 before the teleport

>the cube is moving
It's not. Cube is stationary.

Because the devs either could not program it or could not conceive it themselves or both. But everything I'm saying is grounded in basic physics concepts user. I hate being sucked into these threads because Afags are so stubborn and all you do is talk circles with nothing of substance to say

YOU CAN'T GET THROUGH THE BLUE PORTAL WITHOUT MOVING

>Absolute space
Doesn't exist. Catch up with how physics have developed since the 1800s please.

But you can get through orange, because it's moving to you.

>You're getting transported at the speed of the falling platform but you're not moving
Whoa....this is the power of Afaggotry....

Because it went through a fucking portal.

Acceleration just means increasing in speed. The cube would accelerate from 0 to whatever speed the portal was moving in an instant.

getting through the the orange one is synonymous with getting through the blue one, it's a hole
you can enter it while stationary but you can't exit it while stationary

Technically both are wrong, because any portal placed on a moving surface just fizzles out, as pointed out here As for how portal 3 would play out, i would be very dissapointed if it wasn't as difficult as the Portal: Prelude mod.
>complaining about anime on an anime website
>DA JOOS
reddit is that way, fag.

You can't, that's why the platform with the orange portal must fall.
But it falling doesn't mean that you emerge at the exit with the platform's speed. Your speed still remains at 0

>no one can refute this
I love Afags

Attached: 748686778.jpg (705x1052, 162K)

Hula hoop won't give you speed. You will just find yourself on the other side of it and if floor isn't flat you will slide.

>you can enter it while stationary but you can't exit it while stationary
What? It's not a long tunnel, it's a hole, if there is no place behind you will leave portal without moving.

you realise you just said
>you can't exit it while stationary
>but you still remain stationary while exiting

Good thing it's not a hula hoop because when a hula hoop falls around you, you're occupying the exact same space that you previously were. With a portal you are being physically forced to occupy new space at a speed relative to the portal enveloping you

No, it wouldn't. If you put an accelerometer inside the cube, it would not report any change in velocity as it passed through the portal.

The difference in velocity - between cube and destination - already occurred as the portal gained speed falling towards the cube. It's very similar to what happens on a catapult when a rock is thrown, except imagine if the catapult rotated everything in the world *except* the throwing arm.

But then what if you hold the cube half way through and move it side to side.

Cringe
Unless the platform is moving at ludicrous speed, relativity literally doesn't affect shit.

>you will leave portal without moving
And how does one "leave" without moving pray tell? Remember; the exit isn't moving either.

The portal is literally space. It cannot transfer inertia because it has none, the portal itself is not moving, it's the space distortion that is changing as you displace the point where the portal has been opened, but the protla itself cannot move because space doesn't move.

>Forced to occupy new space
You literally just get moved 5 feet to the right in the same room. Please come up with something more substantial

>I already answered that some few replies up, the object is pulled upwards slightly by the foward motion of its own upper mass. There are physical examples of this in real life, what happens when you slam the brakes on a car that was previously going 60mph? Everything inside jolts forward
I said the portal gets cut off while the cube is half through, as in no more portal. Your analogy is fucking retarded by the way.
The force of gravity being exerted on the cube on the opposite end of the portal is still fucking down you mongoloid, it's not going to do anything. Any force being exerted contrary to the cube's original position is going to get canceled out by friction with the platform it's resting on.

>The difference in velocity - between cube and destination - already occurred as the portal gained speed falling towards the cube.
But it isn't applied to the cube until the cube enters the portal, at which point it suddenly starts moving at the speed of the portal.

Yeah, just as no one can refute this they pick easy targets.
And when they don't know any better they go truly pathetic.

>All relativity is special relativity
Cringe and popscipilled. Galilean relativity.

Yes, you can remain stationary if the portal moves instead. What part do you not understand?

You are retarded, that's why no one want to talk with you. If it's not for diagonal platform, cube won't even flinch in the end.

Attached: cube.jpg (294x525, 12K)

>But everything I'm saying is grounded in basic physics concepts user
That's the problem, you think this is basic physics.

the fact that you keep ignoring how the exit is also stationary

Earth is always moving
Thus in the world of Portal, portals can exist on moving surfaces.

No it doesn't the acceleration of the Cube does not change other than gravity suddenly acting from a different angle.
And still the answer is B since the portal is just an alias for the destination space. Like huge body of water coming at you
and the portal is just a thin membrane that you go through. Inside the water it will act on you as if you were the one with inertia.
It literally doesn't matter.

>how do you came out of the door that moved to you

THE BLUE PORTAL DOESN'T MOVE
THAT'S WHAT THE IMAGE IS SHOWING

More like no one can read your shitty autistic diagrams.

That doesn't matter. If I move 5 feet to the right in the same room I have to take a step or two to get there, that's motion. It's new space. You just can't comprehend it so you call it wrong.

>I said the portal gets cut off while the cube is half through, as in no more portal.
Who can say what would happen? The object is attempting to occupy to points in space so it either gets cut in half or stuck in solid matter, nothing else can happen.

>Your analogy is fucking retarded by the way
Not an argument

>The force of gravity being exerted on the cube on the opposite end of the portal is still fucking down
Not with the tilt of the exit portal. It adds additional gravity to the side of the cube if the cube is only halfway through, shifting it.

>Remember; the exit isn't moving either.

All the hula hoop proves is that the cube doesn't change velocity when the moving portals are moving at the same velocity and facing in opposite directions. That's as far from a general case as you can get here.

Normal force of the platform imparts a force on the cube, sending the cube flying.

>But it isn't applied to the cube until the cube enters the portal,

It's never "applied" to the cube in the sense that you are describing. The cube and the Orange Universe were already moving relative to each other; the cube's actual position is irrelevant.

Neither the cube, nor Orange Universe, experience acceleration at any point; the simply find themselves at different states because the portals cheat physics.

>Galilean relativity
>literally described in the 17th century
Stop embarrassing yourself and admit that the cube doesn't give a shit.
No force = no change in speed

>No it doesn't the acceleration of the Cube does not change
Of course it does. It has to change speeds to go from stationary to moving.

>Normal force of the platform imparts a force on the cube, sending the cube flying.
Only if cube platform is moving, not the one with portal.

>It adds additional gravity to the side of the cube if the cube
Which would be skewed at a 45 degree angle from the original force of gravity, which would be meaningless because the friction from the platform would cancel it out. Like I just fucking said. Can you not read?

>have to take a step or two to get there
As opposed to, you know, fucking portals.

The moment the cube enters the portal, it goes from stationary to in motion.

underrated post

>No force = no change in speed

Think about this for one goddamn second: the portals cheat physics. They're not real.
Anything that goes through a moving portal will find the entire universe, relative to them, at a changed energy state, despite no acceleration being imparted to either them or their destination.

The answer is A!

Attached: solution.jpg (858x424, 48K)

Picture it as an open doorway instead of a portal and it will make sense. It cannot be B simply because portals act the same as doorways, and thus what travels through the doorway is only affected by its own velocity, the door doesnt even come into play with the scenario. It must be A

The cube doesn't go into the exit first you retard

Bfags BTFO

Normal force always applies. It's why the cube isn't falling in the first place due to gravity. If you push the top of the cube down, the normal force will increase to match, so the cube won't move.

In the case of the portals, you're saying the cube won't move as it exits the other side. For it to stop moving, a force must be applied to it in the opposite direction. However, this force would be countered by the normal force, causing it to move again. The normal force will match any force until either the cube or the platform start to crumple.

>The moment the cube enters the portal, it goes from stationary to in motion.

Man, you're really not getting it.
Motion is relative. There is no such thing as a stationary object. A person who is walking on the Earth could be considered to having the Earth move past him if you wanted to consider that person as the frame of reference.

Neither the cube nor the Orange Universe accelerate, at all; they simply find themselves with momentum that disagree with each other.

and?
how does a stationary object pass through a stationary exit?

see

>which would be meaningless because the friction from the platform would cancel it out
Depends entirely on the weight of the cube and it doesn't change the existence of the gravitational force. Nor is it even wholly relevant to my original motion argument, you're grasping now.

You're the one who can't conceive of portals as a transport mechanism between two points in space and had to resort to retarded debunked hula hoop analogies. You're really going to get pissy when I point out that portals take you to a new point in space and hula hoops don't because you tried to claim dropping a hula hoop over yourself is the same as this scenario? Dumb faggot.

Your next posts better be substantial Afags because I've got work and you're wasting my time now. Feel free to take this opportunity to say something else fucking retarded, I'll leave you to feel like you btfo me

>If you extend your arm through the exit portal to try and stop the cube from going completely through, the falling platform won't be able to fall all the way down and will collide with your arm that's trying to stop it.

what the fuck am I reading

>b-b-but they cheat p-physics
Glad to see that you ran out of arguments

>the entire universe changes relative to the cube
the room remained in the same state before the cube went in and remained in that state after. Where is the cube's new speed relative to the room supposed to come from?

No, you have imagine you at a fixed point relative to the entire universe with door in front of you, and the entire universe moves relative to you so that you pass through the door.

>BuT tHE cUbE HAs nO mOMenTuM
Let me explain relativity to you brainlets the simplest way I can

Stand at the blue portal and put your hand right above the portal. Now the cube starts coming trough the portal and what happens? Does your hand gets pushed?

>Where is the cube's new speed relative to the room supposed to come from?

If you move a portal towards something, you're moving the entire universe behind that portal as well, relative to that object.

>but that's impossible! you can't move the whole universe!
yes, you are right. portals aren't real.

>debunked hula hoop analogies
>not a single actual argument against it
>i g-gotta go guise i g-got work soon
cringe

>cube must accelerate to exit
Not when you're talking about portals. it's the space that's getting distorted around the cube, not the cube itself that is being accelerated through space.
How does people keep failing to understand this? Portals are space being distorted, thye're not objects, they don't have mass, nor volume. They don't have speed nor can they give speed to an object because it's literally just an empty space that's been distorted so it connects to a different space.
The cube doesn't move through the portal, space moves around the cube.

Your are fucking retarded. Portals don't work that way. If the exit moves, you don't become any more or less in the portal. You come out of the exit portal regardless of where it is. That's the point of a portal.

Attached: 1485021542941.png (484x402, 43K)

You A-supporting morons do realize that the portal moving towards the cube is the same as the cube moving towards the portal because of how relative speed works, right?

>For it to stop moving
It's not moving.

Oh you know, the fucking moving entrance might help.
Jesus christ you Bfags are retarded

>portal moving towards the cube is the same as the cube moving towards the portal
It's literally not.

No, it's not. The portal is not a physical object.

Then how does it stick 1 meter out of the other side? It must be moving to travel that 1 meter distance.

By your logic, entering a portal while the exit is moving sideways would cut you in half.

>space moves around the cube.
this correct when referring to the orange portal but not the blue portal

The portal is a literal hole. It's a fancy hole you can put anywhere. Nothing more, nothing less. It offers no more velocity than a doorway.

Motion is relative, but if one portal is moving relative to another portal, that means the single point at which the portals meet is moving relative to itself. It would effectively be like creating duplicate dimension that was in motion relative to the original one.

but you claim the cube is stationary while the exit is also stationary
how can a stationary object pass through a stationary exit WITHOUT moving relative to the exit?

Sorry, second quote is meant for

There's only one portal. You perceive it as two different portals due to the space distortion, but it's just one the same way that a doorway is just one regardless of being inside or outside.

elaborate

Absolutely nothing changes. The cube doesn't give a fuck what happens around it

Attached: Bfags BTFO.png (1238x800, 17K)

>With a portal you are being physically forced to occupy new space at a speed relative to the portal enveloping you
Except you're still occupying the same space up until the very last line of molecules is through the portal. This is what you brainlets can't seem to comprehend, you're so fixated on the new space that you're totally ignoring the original space. While the object is transitioning through the portal, it is occupying two spaces at the same time. It's not going to go flying while it's still anchored to the original space, and once it's all the way through, the "movement" has stopped.

the exit isn't moving in this scenario you fucking retard and that has never been in question

BUT THEN WHAT IF YOU'RE ENTERING THROUGH THE BLUE PORTAL!? BOTH PORTALS NEED TO HAVE THE SAME PHYSICS OR IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK! THEY'RE FUCKING HOLES. THEY'RE NOT AWARE OF WHICH ONE IS BEING USED AS AN ENTRANCE AND WHICH ONE IS BEING USED AS AN EXIT AND THEN CHANGE THEIR PHYSICS ACCORDINGLY! YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED!

Attached: you dense motherfucker.png (243x200, 70K)

>all the 'b-but that's physically impossible' arguments in this thread
Portals are arbitrary energy creation already.

Attached: portals.png (620x444, 18K)

A sentence that's longer than 6 words. I'm sorry if you're too retarded to grasp simple concepts

Its the same as slamming an empty buckect over a football, is the ball going to jump off the ground on its own?

holy shit
the blue portal DOESN'T MOVE in the op image

It is being translated through the portal so it becomes the same stationary object translated through space.

Consider if the portal stopped half way up the cube, what would happen?

Whenever bottom platform moves up or the upper platform moves down makes literally no difference because of relativity you morons

Imagine your view is affixed to the upper platform and you are constantly moving upwards with the speed of 50mph and then the upper platform starts moving down onto the cube at 50mph, from your perspective it looks like the upper platform is stationary and the lower platform is moving up but thats all is is, A PERSPECTIVE

Attached: 1559805366704.jpg (636x421, 34K)

>blue portal and orange portal far apart (orange lower down)
>blue and orange together (both lower down)
That's the exit moving in If it isn't, then learn to fucking draw diagrams better, you fucking monkey.

its portals not hoops, try again

It start moving after exiting portal. It's SLIDING due to gravitation, not some MYSTICAL PORTAL FORCE. Make it flat platform and it won't move after exiting through portal.

>The portal is a literal hole. It's a fancy hole you can put anywhere. Nothing more, nothing less. It offers no more velocity than a doorway.

Accelerating a portal accelerates the entire universe behind it, so no.

Imagine if that doorway was attached to a house, and you flung the entire house at someone - they would hit a wall on the other side, even though they're ~nOt MoViNg~

>If you move a portal towards something, you're moving the entire universe behind that portal as well.
Holy fuck imagine actually thinking this.
A portal is just a link between two places. Moving the entry point doesn't somehow accelerate to everything that passes through it.

fucking thank you
the cube is gaining energy when it exits the portal, its really not that fucking hard to understand

Mechanically it's absolutely the same.

So, if instead of a cube you put a person in the platform and accelerate the portal right until their neck, then suddenly brake, according to anons here, the person would feel a sudden acceleration moving downwards through their head until it pops off?

depends how fast the portal was moving and the weight of the object
the half that's already exiting the blue portal at X speed would try to pull the remaining half with it

If a portal gives you momentum forward, then it would also need to give you momentum in whichever other direction it moves. If it moves sideways, then the half of you outside and the half of you through the portal would be moving is separate, sideways directions, either skewing yourself or pulling you in half.

I literally don't know how B could possibly be correct.

the box isn't moving, so why would it suddenly shoot out from the portal?

niels bohr was born from a jewish family but he denounced his judaism

It costs more energy to sustain the portal than what you get out of the turbine.

Yeah, if it was moving fast enough then their head would just pop off.

Take two boards, one of them with hole. Place cube on one and slam it with board with hole. Cube won't fly. Now take one with hole and slam it with the one with cube from underneath. Cube will fly.
Retard.

>A portal is just a link between two places. Moving the entry point doesn't somehow accelerate to everything that passes through it.

you're starting to pick up on why portals aren't real

If it were B then the box would still shoot out if the portal stopped half-way down the box, which is retarded.

it's completely different
if the entry and exit are the same velocity then yes, it's a hula hoop
if they're different, the difference in velocity must be applies to anything that passes through it
look at the image again

>M-muh acceleration

Listen up you absolute dipshits. If a portal falls through the orange portal, which is on the floor, and comes out of the orange portal, on a wall, then the velocity changes from pointing downward to pointing sideways, with no acceleration in between the two. Discontinuous changes in velocity are a standard property of portals, pedantic nagging about forces and acceleration are practically irrelevant to the process of an object passing through a portal, which happens over such a short time interval that we can round it off to a=0 from the perspective of inside the portal.

This is purely a question about which absolute value of the velocity you prefer, the retard option |v|=0 relative to the stationary reference frame, which gives you A, or the less retarded but still weird and degenerate option |v| = The speed of the orange portal, from the perspective of the inside of the portal.

Alright i fixed it. Where is the "required acceleration", Bfag?

Attached: Bfags BTFO.png (1238x800, 10K)

Didn't stop him from having to escape to Sweden so the Nazis wouldn't kill him.
Judaism isn't just a religion, it's an ethnicity too.

the box is moving relative to the blue portal
it has to move in order to pass through a stationary exit

>the box isn't moving, so why would it suddenly shoot out from the portal?

because the universes on each side of the portal have gained momentum relative to each other.

Your Einstein makes no sense as relativity requires a focal point or frame of reference and it's not clear which it is

A house is a physical object with mass that can be actually accelerated, a portal isn't. This is what you guys fail to grap. Portals don't have speed because they're not objects. Thye're literally just space. You can't accelerate space. A moving portal is just a portal that keeps getting reconfigurated at every instant.
Imagine instead a door that every half second leads to a different exit, would a person passing through experience sudden acceleration depending on how far the changing exits are from each other?

Portals are still not hoops, try again

>Accelerating a portal accelerates the entire universe behind it
No it fucking doesn't. It only LOOK like that because it's a hole. If it accelerated the universe behind it, everything IN that half of the universe would also be accelerated. Then, when the portal stops, the entire universe behind it would be thrown forward because of sudden loss of momentum.

Attached: 1484966191550.jpg (251x238, 6K)

if the entrance moves through you, then you emerge at the exit. The exit doesn't move. You don't move. The entrance does

If portals were to exist in the real world relativity dictates that yes, the object would have to be dragged through the portal because everything you just said is a violation of physics unless atoms are just being scrambled around which means that portals can't conserve any momentum at all under any circumstances. You can't have it both ways.

>Relativity requires a focal point or frame of reference
The entire point of relativity is that you can freely switch between reference frames without any actual physics changing.

the box isn't moving
then the box moves out of the stationary portal
it accelerates in order to move

you didn't fix anything what the fuck are you talking about, the exit still moves portals are not hoops

Cube gained nothing.
It would only work because of gravitation accelerating

>if a portal falls through a portal
Let's not think about that one.

Attached: 1548306352113.jpg (361x370, 19K)

relative to what?

A portal game trying to test this would have some pathetic-looking robot infinitely trying to set up the scenario but the orange portal keeps dissipating every time to surface moves.

They are.

no it doesn't. Just because gravity lets you have infinite energy using portals doesn't mean a moving portal is a fucking portable cannon

no...........

They literally are. It's science that puts a simple hole anywhere you want.

but the cube must move in order to pass through the stationary exit
how can it stay stationary relative to the stationary exit?

Cool story bro, except like every other moron A faggot in this thread, you're completely ignoring gravity. In your cute little scenario, there is a big difference between the platform moving up and the portal moving down, and it's gravity. When the platform is moving up, an upward force that exceeds gravity is acting on both it, and by extension the cube, so it stands perfectly to reason that when it goes through the portal, it will conserve its momentum and go flying. When the portal is going down, there is no such upward force on the cube, thus nothing to cancel and exceed the force of gravity. So it won't go flying out when it goes through the portal.

>box accelerates in order to move
why the fuck would it need to do that, the entrance is already falling on it

sure just pointing it out

Yes, so if both ends of the portal are moving relative to themselves, that means a single point in space is moving relative to itself. This can only happen with multiple dimensions. When you enter the duplicate dimension of the portal, even if you are stationary in the original universe and it's due to the movement of the portal, you are now moving in that direction relative to the universe inside the portal.

>Bfags can't refute this

holy shit this might be the wrongest post ITT. Physics act completely different on a theoretical object moving light speed as opposed to an identical object that's stationary

heh

The exit doesn't move, the cube doesn't move, only the entrance moves. Just like a hoop. user, it's really simple stuff, try thinking harder

he could also have been escaping because he didnt want to be force to do research for the nazis

im literally not advocating for A are you mentally challenged?

Draw better diagrams. Read and you fucking retard.

how else can it exit a stationary hole
the exit isn't moving
therefore, in order for something to pass through it, that something needs to be moving

>The exit doesn't move
>Just like a hoop

are you even trying

Physical laws are invariant under lorentz transformations, high school examples of "Muh relativity is WEIRD" only come from framing it in euclidean spacetime instead of using lorentz invariant laws.

If the platform's speed is greater than yours you cannot enter the blue portal. Easy.

yeah my bad my bad
there
irrefutable

Attached: 7684584674.png (896x800, 11K)

I see that "b-but they aren't r-r-real" is your only argument when it comes to baby tier riddles

Space itself is being distorted around the cube until it occupies a new position. That's how portals work, you connect and disconnect space. A moving portal is constant and instantaneous connection and disconnection.
Now, we could argue about the consequences of space being cut and stitched this way with an object passing through, but it's a completely different conversation.

THEY ARE HOLES

THEY DO NOT ACCELERATE YOU

THE ENTRANCE IS WHEREVER ONE PORTAL IS AND THE EXIT IS WHERE THE OTHER ONE IS

MOVING THEM DOESN'T CHANGE THIS

THEY HAVE NO CONCEPT OF WHERE THEY USED TO BE AND HOW MUCH MOMENTUM THEY KEEP WITH THEM

IT

IS

A

HOOOOOOLE

>the object would have to be dragged through the portal
So explain to me what happens when the relative velocity isn't fast enough to escape the force of gravity.

>GLaDOS quote
>momentum
>a hole in a piece of paper
Walking through a hole cut in a piece of paper doesn't shift you to a different position and orientation. Despite what GLaDOS says, momentum is NOT preserved between portals. Momentum is a vector, and as such merely going through portals placed on the same wall, both facing the same direction, your momentum changes direction, and therefore changes in itself.
Let's talk about high school physics and see how they fail around portals, and how Afags are wrong.
>PORTALS DON'T APPLY FORCE REE
Force is the derivative of momentum. F=dp/dt. Lo and behold, walking through two portals placed on the same wall facing the same direction INVERTS your momentum, as your velocity is now facing the opposite direction. Your momentum was changed in a brief (if not instant) length of time, therefore some force MUST have been applied to you.

Portals don't follow high school physics, dumbasses. Momentum is not preserved between portals. Portals apply to anything that goes through them the physical properties they appear to have by a hypothetical observer looking at them through the exit portal. The entrance portal is moving towards the cube in this scenario. Since it's a matter of perspective, the entrance portal's frame of reference carries the piston's motion. A hypothetical observer would see the cube speeding towards the portal hole, it would therefore come out speeding, B-wise.
There hasn't been a single scenario B couldn't explain properly, unlike A. Pretty much any portal situation inside or outside the game could be explained using the observer/relativity method.

Attached: a fags believe in this.png (888x595, 22K)

no, you gain speed when the entire universe gains speed relative to you. a moving portal is a moving universe.

holy fuck you are a retard.

At the time the orange portal touches the first edge of the cube it is flush with the blue portal, right?

Then when the orange portal reaches the other end of the cube, the first edge of the cube is one cubes-width away from the blue portal, right?

SO HOW THE FUCK IS IT NOT MOVING? It has moved the width of the cube in the time it took the portal to close over the cube.

>multiple dimensions
You just go in through one side and emerge through the other. Just add conservation of energy and it all just works

defining a portal helps no one
the cube must have speed in order to exit something that has no speed

why does the cube instantly lose all momentum in A?

>you are standing in place
>the exit is standing in place
>the entrance moves
>despite neither you nor the exit moving you "come out" of the exit
>holes

Anyone who doesn't grasp this is a fucking retard.

yes i do.

Physics as we perceive them entirely rest on our observations which are dictated solely by the speed of light. Pretend that the speed of light could be lowered such that it's still faster than a sloth inching along but slower than a race car speeding by on a road. The physics and perceptions of both are so drastically different that you can't claim nothing has changed between the two