Why do MMORPG's have Auction Houses? It ruins immersion

Why do MMORPG's have Auction Houses? It ruins immersion.

Attached: pvw10416.jpg (821x452, 82K)

because then people would vendor their items instead of bothering with pawning them to people

It provides a way for players to interact without actually interacting, also muh economy.

I don't think it ruins immersion as long as it's reserved to a single location and the items are limited to those posted at that AH

Having to park your character in a trading hub and keeping your PC running isn't any more immersive.

menus must really break your immersion then you fucking sperg

players being able to open their own shops will always be superior then auction houses, sure its less convenient since you have to go through every single shop instead of typing item name,
but i loved those 2 hours long buying sessions in ragnarok or cabal before it introduced auction house.

Playing an Enchanter on a private server is like having your own shop. You got your own recipes and people add you in order to get your enchants. Feels pretty damn good.

>mmorpg
>immersion
you can't be that retarded

they should also remove chat channels like lfg, trade, etc.
you should only be able to use white chat, and shout.

Honestly, that would be fucking amazing. But people would just use outside sources like Discord.

Fucking hell lads I miss WoW, not even old school, I played Wotlk and it was still great. So many memories and friends, I wonder what they're all doing now.

>wrathbabby

Attached: 1559715145047.gif (224x224, 3.8M)

I know it was the beginning of the end for WoW but it was still enjoyable, and Dalaran was the comfiest city

That's just what Runescape used to be like

Everything about MMOs since the mid-2000s has been gradually rendered sterile and impersonal. MMOs are about as much of a "world" and "massive" as a mobile phone gacha game.

>as long as it's reserved to a single location

That is the exact actual problem with Runescape's auction house. There's no point in being anywhere except for the grand exchange.

Because then you're stuck with bartering, and depending on the item it can take days or even weeks of standing around intown trying to find a buyer or negotiate a fair trade.
Sure you got the immersion but not many people wanna waste time in town bartering when they can list an item on an AH and do other shit.

Unironically yes, I still want a fully sandbox medieval RPG.

You are not 'stuck'. You are engaging in an trade event. Rather than just clicking a button and POOF you got it. You gotta talk to people, make deals and perhaps make friends or enemies. It adds a more dynamic social structure in the world. Auction House really is no different than the LFD or LFR.

>Auction House really is no different than the LFD or LFR.
Maybe if you use the auction houses casually, but trust me the auction houses in some games can be competitive. There are people with such a huge monopoly on some goods they will purposefully crash their own market if someone tries to compete against them because they know the short term loss will lead to long term profits.
Auction Houses have their place in MMOs, calling them LFD or LFR tier just shows how little you actually understand of how and why they work

You ever play Maplestory? In practice it just leads to the main hub's chat being a clusterfuck of spam advertising shit for sale.

>what are player shops
Its like you never played Flyff LOL

And this is a problem how? If I need something specific and I find a dude who almost always sells that specific thing I will just add him on my friends list and talk to him. I know, talking to people in an mmorpg. Crazy, right?

How's that any different from an auction house in terms of player interaction? People will just hold their shop open AFK while they go do other shit.

>not advertising in the trade chat
>not convincing a br to travel throughout the entire world on foot just for him to show up with the wrong amount of money

Attached: tibia.jpg (1024x712, 162K)

>so anxious and autistic that people can't even communicate on an online game

What the fuck happened? Really.

you would rather have a bunch of people spamming a trade chat and there being so much spam it bleeds into other chats as well?

i know right this is so much better

Attached: eBRn4.jpg (1024x730, 159K)

It has soul and selection.

I miss RuneScape before the grand exchange.

Wave2: Selling D-long 100k

>See some low lvl advertising his stuff to sell
>"Bruh I'm in Carlin haul your ass to here and I'll pay you extra"
>Set up an Ambush in Kazordoon and steal all his shit
God fucking dammit I'm getting the itch to play again but it seems Cipsoft ruined the game.

Attached: 5321.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

>Be more like this garbage korean MMO that was relevant for one year 15 years ago
uh no

this was literally PSOBB. people just ended up making teamspeak/ventrilo servers.

>>what are player shops
In the context of flyff and maple story, a feature that requires you to keep your computer on and stay logged in for hours while you AFK and a way for the devs to sell stuff you what you get for free in games with auction houses - selling your goods while you're not online.

Runescape circa 2005-2006 before the Grand Exchange was absolute kino.

>be in Venore
>want to buy Fire Sword
>Guy is in Thais
>cant use boats
>I have to walk
>See Giant spider
>die
>lose 4k
>"You coming bro?"

How does it ruin immersion. You give the item to the house, someone else buys it and you get the money later. It’s actually pretty realistic .

This is pretty cool and better way to do auction housing in games rather than the current method.

>Memories of Rose Online fags arguing with FlyFF fags

Those were the days

Attached: x1080-fvU[1].jpg (1440x1080, 114K)

OP is from a communist shithole where buying and sellings items is illegal.

Realistic how? Because Auctions dont work like that. You cant buyout in an auction. And shit like craigslist still exist even today. And do you think people did that in the middle ages(where most fantasy is derived from)? No, they were at the town square yelling "APPLES APPLES! GET YOUR APPLES!". That is what is missing. The immersion of the trade square.

No it's not, it's just a waste of time.

Why do you even play role playing games?

Buyout prices are existing options in real auctions, and auctions certainly existed back then.
Of course people didn't use them for apples same as people don't use them for most of what you can find at craiglist today, auctions are usually reserved to expensive or collectors stuff and the house takes a decent cut from your profit because they usually will work to get the highest price they can.

I would enjoy that.

what said. The entire point of MMOs is role playing/immersion. Literally living a second life. They're not made to play through the story one time then quit like a single player game.

>ruins immersion
Give 1 (ONE) reason why people wouldn't sell their items to be highest bidder in a fantasy setting.

Because they would have to be online for it and the highest bidder too.

This, the only problem with MMO auction houses is that they don't take enough cut so the cost is worth ignoring compared to the hassle of directly selling your stuff

Just imagine all the videos from youtube demagogues talking about how sitting afk in a city selling garbage is just another way to boost game's active users numbers.

GW1 does this and what it boils down to is standing in Spamadan and typing a copy and pasted message every 20 seconds as you browse something on your other monitor, waiting for one person to whisper you. Doesn't help that I've been sitting on one specific item for over a year now because it's such a niche thing.

To have fun, and running around for 30 minutes looking for something to buy is not fun. As I said, it's just a waste of time.

And by the way, spamming in LFG looking for people to join your party is also a waste of time. Every game should have an LFG interface like GW2 or the vQueue addon for WoW Vanilla.

Asking around in neocron in the plaza, where all even aggressive factions can trade with each other, for the best weapon Smith to get a higher quality weapon just to bash their fellow factionman head in even better. Having a list of best craftsmen for all kinds of things was glorious too
I miss proper mmos

WoW increased deposit fee because retarded casuals were ruining AH for other casuals.

based and brackpilled

Attached: coolguy.jpg (500x667, 77K)

Look up Pantheon Rise of the Fallen user. It won't have any auction houses since it damages the social interactions and community aspect of an MMORPG. I have really high hopes that Pantheon might be a beacon of light for us who want an old school MMORPG with modern assets, and if it fails I'm fucking done with this genre for good.

Attached: 1538181355728.jpg (500x335, 101K)

Why do MMORPG's have trading? It totally removes gameplay

>mmorpg
>immersion
kek

>Pantheon Rise of the Fallen
poor bastards making an mmo in current year only to get smashed by Classic

Classic is and was always a terrible piece of shit MMORPG. You don't even lose EXP when you die.

It's made by the guy who created Everquest so they aren't expecting any massive population. Just a few thousand people who want a real classic MMORPG rather than trying to relive a game that will never come back.

WoW was a good game even if it was very casual even at the beginning. But classic will never be the same so I hope Pantheon will bring new life into the true MMORPG genre.

You can't just type into a search bar what you need. You have to search for it yourself like a market.

because people dont care about immersion later in the game, you no longer enjoy mmos after 60 hours depends on game itself. Rpg dissapears.
I fucking loved Runescape free to play version, till i got to grand exchange (lvl 12) from there on out it no longer became RPG MMO it became just a grind fest.

>classic WoW
>very casual
LMAO dude you're so full of shit

WoW was casual compared to MMOs before it. Don't apply modern standards to it.

Absolutely yeah.

>without actually interacting
that's the problem, well that and how they shortcut and ruin item progression like in diablo 3

>he thinks gaining such popularity that actually getting celebrity endorsements was a magical-realm tier fluke

Compared to the MMORPGs that came before it, yes, it's very casual. You think it's hardcore just because you need to make friends and team up to take down group quests and hard class quests? That shit was standard back in the days, for EVERYTHING.

those games didn't even have real gameplay, they were casual as shit compared to WoW

>Everquest was casual compared to WoW

Attached: 1513351933896.png (620x640, 260K)

BfA is way harder than Classic in this regard, and I wouldn't call BfA a hardcore experience...

>he complains about the current state of mmos
>he doesn't play EVE
It's what you say you want, what's the problem user? Doesn't hold your hand enough?

I was a hardcore raider all the way until we got Throne of Thunder on farm in Pandaria. WoW was never more hardcore than Ultima, EQ, SWG etc. It was intentionally made to be more casual friendly from the start. Sure the boss mechanics in high end raiding are way more advanced but that's just a tiny % of the game.

Attached: 1549914692903.jpg (1548x1200, 473K)

the fuck is that supposed to mean lmao

this is why centralized systems in mmos are good because it stops people from using degenerate 3rd party services

i thought about it, it's really upsetting because it's literally impossible to have MMOs where everyone can't instantly speak to anyone anywhere because of 3rd party communications. Imagine a PVP game like Warhammer Online but larger scale, where you would need to use messengers and scouts to relay and gather information. You could capture or kill scouts so they can't tell what they saw. A group wipes on a large enemy warband, one person manages to escape to the keep where he warns everyone that a siege is coming. Literally impossible unless you chain every player to a full-body VR set

Maybe at end game BFA is harder, too bad everything else is so piss easy the game basically plays itself.

My fucking ass anything in BfA is on the level of Twin Emps, C'thun, old Naxx, etc

>you'll never again wander the streets of prontera, going from player shop to player shop, looking for discount healing items and concentration potions

Attached: 1425712294020.png (1200x1332, 199K)

Post your mythic Jaina kill.

As I don't have severe brain damage I stopped playing BfA after war fronts came out.

I'm happy that the mentally deficient still have raids they can do though.

You don't have to be present in the actual auction if you are selling something. Hell, even bidders don't have to be there as long as they use a middleman.

>tfw player shops associate with FlyFF and not RO, L2, mabinogi, PW, UO, hell even ToS
Yeah, Yea Forums is done
MMORPG community finally died off and is now being replaced who never played any classics

Good. Those were some dark days.

Attached: 1541647338835.webm (640x480, 1.86M)

The first MMO worth putting any amount of time into was EQ, get some fucking taste.

FFXI and Eve Online did it best.

hohoho i got nostalgia from this.

be in venore
in trade i WTB Demon Shield
some dude takes the bait
we wait 5 ppl infront of Venore Boat upstairs
we jump him with Sd's
got Boh and Demon shield
was fun. miss that game.

After we killed him 7 ppl messaged me and said i was hunted.
jokes on them i was the UH maker for the strongest person on the server, and had *Protected by xxxxxxxx* in my guild nick.

god damnit i miss tibia. it learned me so much, Writing in english, talking in english, since im not native speaker was a great learning experience for a 13 year old girl.
what server u guys played? i was on Inferna, everyday was a shitstorm.

Attached: 5cb.png (1920x2325, 1.1M)

Ragnarok Online style player shops are cool n all but end of the day it sucked spending literal hours checking every single vend in Prontera trying to either find the one item you want or comparing prices trying to get an idea of how much to sell your own shit for.

>A girl
I refuse to believe a fellow Tibiachad turned out to be a tranny.

Nova here, almost OG.

Are you fucking retarded? I listed MMOs with player shops and you come in saying something about an MMO with an "AH" (bazaar) implying that I haven't ever played it?
Literally how few fucking braincells do you need to have to not being able to follow the simplest conversation development?

because path of exile is the alternative. Specifically POE.TRADE

I've heard this spiel before, I want to believe but I've seen so many MMOs promise the classic MMO experience and then shovel out the trash.

Are YOU fucking retarded? EQ got player shops with Luclin you fucking mong.

China permanently ruined the concept of player shops anyways

Yeah I feel the same. I'm optimistic but this is really the last chance I give this shit. To me everything sounds great on their website and looking at YouTube videos about people talking about the game but who knows what will happen. Pantheon will be my last MMO either way.

>The first MMO worth putting any amount of time into was EQ
The first MMO to turn everything into a shitty grind, you mean.

UO is still the best MMORPG ever made by a mile.

My mage just want more gold

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

ESO has a guild trader system where you have to visit certain NPCs around the world that guilds rent to sell stuff. It's not very convenient buying stuff but it actually works pretty well for keeping price manipulation and other problems away.