Nightly Gamedev Thread

How's that game coming along Yea Forums?

Attached: file.png (866x594, 371K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/e21kt
construct.net/en
developers.airconsole.com/#!/
ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself?language=en
youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vqLw-agk
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801187074
youtu.be/tzPnwwQJoVw
youtu.be/zrVTKagBFrM
soundcloud.com/ts2000
static1.e621.net/data/40/4d/404d0732bb689f2d990c59ca85de90d7.webm
youtube.com/user/McBacon1337/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=zV51LdERPuU
youtube.com/watch?v=UN-m3o9V7kk
godotengine.org/article/we-should-all-use-gltf-20-export-3d-assets-game-engines
opengex.org/comparison.html
twitter.com/FridgeDraws
twitter.com/AnonBabble

don't shill to Yea Forums you cunt. go back to your containment thread.

With my non existant budget of a part time pizza hut driver, I am cheaping out with my breakout game and going the 90s "using realistic backgrounds", and as placeholders using 2 tracks from my other RPG project till I can afford to commision more songs

this, /vg/ exists for a reason

How do I UV map? Shit is killing me

r8 fellas
streamable.com/e21kt

cute, what genre is it?
you can do it user, just keep at it

earthbound music
the graphics are good

Attached: 1551583912359.jpg (480x480, 18K)

i don't have a game

Attached: 1559709547787.png (978x900, 285K)

Badly, I've started writing 3 renderers and got bored of it, now I just write a discord RPG bot

hello fellow aggydaggers

itsa basic rpg like dragon warrior 3

1) place seams on mesh in logical places
2) unwrap
3) paint texture in appropriate places on texture using UV map as a guide (or just texture paint directly on mesh)
What's hard about that?

im working on a game that works like a point and click adventure (in which you pick items to solve puzzles) and plays like something from rpg maker, with a small city with npcs with schedules and with a day and night cycle, but making the grapix is hard

Attached: 1552155147255.png (566x642, 710K)

>warrior

Attached: 1536098842568.jpg (1920x1080, 770K)

>making the grapix is hard
isn't that why people buy them? Doesn't rpg maker come with lots of game assets?

well why don't you start one now user?

i keep flipping between unity unreal gamemaker and rpg maker

yes but they look generic as fuck, also taking assets from different sources will make it look very inconsistent, im trying to making something super simplistic like mother 1

Attached: 19028301238.jpg (472x276, 30K)

haha i wonder if she smells like sweat

Attached: 1559692672692.png (560x560, 17K)

Fuck lumberyard.

What did ya want to make?

is mother 1 worth a download?

this is why I switched to making 3D. you can do a lot with simple shapes like this

Attached: d4d9a27f573226f.jpg (1100x948, 212K)

some type of 90s kirby air ride
i made a prototype in unity but it just doesn't look good

Want to make w choose your own adventure but im a mobile fag
Help?

if you liked earthbound and mother 3, give it a try
this looks like you spent hours on, and making character animations in 3d is too much effort for something i don't even know if im going to finish yet

besides the trees and river it looks good

any modern engine can output to htlm5

unity is a good choice
you should also look up construct it's REALLY SOLID but nobody ever uses it

it's not my art, but you can make individual set pieces like a tree in a couple of minutes, and you don't really need the same knowledge of perspective and drawing in general as you do with 2D

Attached: aadf5f203869539.jpg (1543x868, 125K)

Im on an apple phone
I wanna make something text based

Potentially dumb question, but what modelling program?

idk, I got it from a thread on /3/

what are you even asking, do you want to dev with your phone or for ios?

>t. never UV'd

I have started learning C# and Unity, just working on a simple number guessing game until I know more about programming

I just wanna make a text base choose your own adventure game about a dude making a cult

i had a itunes dev account
so you need to pay 99$ per year for it
and android is 25 $ ONE TIME FEE

you can see why i typed i HAD a itunes dev account

twine probably works then

yeah i'd go for twine
i downloaded it once on a whim and it seems to have everything you'd need to make text adventures and more

it also comes with a saving function

>this looks like you spent hours on
if you think spending hours on something is too much
then game development is not for you

>it just doesn't look good
That isn't the engine's fault.
What art are you using?

show it to us user

you can do quite a lot with JS too, it's actually a decent VN framework

i already have the coding itself to do, if i can make a simple game that works, i can reuse the same code to make something better later, what i mean is that theres no point in wasting hours making a background if i don't have the rest already

that's where 3D shines too, you can re-use assets in different configurations as opposed to having to re-draw something from another angle. god I hate 2D

Alright Yea Forums, I need your best ideas for a Harvest Moon clone

Attached: file.png (720x480, 407K)

i was using a bunch of art packs i found on the net

Attached: not slipstreams.gif (483x370, 1.75M)

doesn't look too bad, I would just move the camera a bit back

>spent the past 2 months learning C++, UE4 and a 3D mode pipeline
>actually interested in making 2D side-scrolling adventures
it was perfect on paper, but it all went so wrong

Attached: 1559696805831.jpg (638x618, 133K)

play chulip, its from natsume too, take as much as you can from it.
in my opinion, what gives soul to hm games is not how many things there are to craft and collect and buy, but the npcs, the events and mysteries in the game.
Just face it, your game is not going to be better than stardew valley, so you might as well take another route and make a basic farming game but with a bunch of side things

Attached: chulip.jpg (380x379, 52K)

ok i'll keep that in mind
i was really inspired by another agdg game called slipstream
it was so juicy
but i'd like to make something alot easier that game kicks my ass

but the character animations still sound very complicated to do on your own

it all depends on your scope, you need excellent art skills for decently animated 2D as well. if you're doing 3D you can actually get away with no animations and first-person

now that you mention it, i had some ideas for a game like lsd dream emulator mixed with silent hill 4 that would only work on a first person view in 3d, maybe after i finish my shitty 2d games i can get myself to learn 3d

I'll give it a view, thanks user

been workin on clouds

Attached: Unity 2019-05-30 04-31-02-26.webm (1152x702, 3M)

If I was building a game world out of simulated Clay what would be the best language to use to write the code? I'm going for voxels to draw all my geometry and I've been looking at Java to do it but idk if it can run something like this.

Maybe C++ would be better?

>t. Artist learning how to write code

Attached: Claybook.jpg (1600x900, 342K)

>voxels
>clay
what?

claybook is made with UE4 specifically so maybe that

I've just been animating shit for the intro sequence of my demo.
And upsetting people on /vg/ with my "racism" against Islam.

Attached: 1559658747484.gif (1163x514, 2.15M)

>your game is not going to be better than stardew valley
it might be, who knows? honestly if he makes it more like rune factory that might be all it takes

what gaem?

Point and click adventure game 'bout robots and stuff.

>1 guy trolling you
>the whole of agdg

I'm probably looking at it the wrong way, when I say voxels I mean that the geometry in the game itself should have volume, so that when you cut it, you can actually take off a chunk, and it simulates the properties of actual clay. Sorry if I'm not clear on that, I'm just really clueless on how to approach this idea.

Only só ›¡oyboys dislike islam

Looks fine, but PLEASE dont bother making a inspired Earthbound game if you didnt play the original game, like the retards who made Undertale and YIIK.
I'm so tired of shitty Mother "inspired" games.

Whoops replied to myself,

Anyway, I'm probably looking at it the wrong way, when I say voxels I mean that the geometry in the game itself should have volume, so that when you cut it, you can actually take off a chunk, and it simulates the properties of actual clay. Sorry if I'm not clear on that, I'm just really clueless on how to approach this idea.

sweetie you know toby fox made an earthbound romhack right

I only posted a grand total of two (2) posts, yet that Islam shit went on for hours.
Besides which, agdg is like 3 people.

Learned how to draw, learned engines...
Now how I do go about learning coding?
I need to learn C# and/or javascript, and I have no idea if I'm supposed to learn it like I do the others, which is through Youtube tutorials.

Attached: 1473193784133.png (700x569, 345K)

nice clouds

No, it’s actually four people. I lurk, but don’t post, except for occasional shitposting that no one gets or understands.

You don't, you pick up a codemonkey, they'll work for free if your art is good enough

your in good hands
i beat earthbound
also kinda sick of memebound games so im just gonna do my own thing and add goth girls
i know i saw the whole thing go down and it was pretty funny
agdg is like 90 people they seem to average that much
id maybe juse use ue4 and some type of custom shader or something like that
thats what claybook does and id just copy it

you'd have to figure out how to do the clay stuff by yourself but you can just fake it with a shader and not bother with voxels

How do i get into making vidya games?

pick engine and make

pick something. make a tutorial. modify tutorial
construct.net/en

unironically start by getting good at art

you don't need that to make game. you don't need to know how to program to make game either. just make game.

I don't know how to 3d model or rig or code

I don't know how to assemble a computer either

I can draw you perfectly and capture your soul in under 5 minutes though

I don't know where to start with making a game like this that works with people's phones instead of a controller and having most assets located on server side

Attached: download (2).png (559x624, 266K)

i googled this for you
you need something called airconsole

post some cute girls

you're a good person user, thank you

is there a special keyword of searchterm i should be looking for as a would-be game dev when trying to find platforms like that?

It's not.

As usual

I hate your waterfalls user, they have no movement to them, and those spike popping up at the start of them are just driving the uncanny home.

not him but grill im workin on
developers.airconsole.com/#!/

seems like you can use alot different engines in combination with it
i typed in "JACKBOX GAMES engine" into google and a
>reddit post popped up

Attached: grill.jpg (358x647, 51K)

are you the same user making the earthbound like?

jah

spikes at the beginning will be gone, but no movement? is it more apparent close up? I could try adding some more texture to the water part

Attached: Unity 2019-05-23 21-09-04-02.webm (1016x680, 1.08M)

Worked out a good work agreement to get someone to help with the programming and such
Had to keep the pay, and thus the monthly hours, low since medical bills fucking stealth attacked me

It just looks like some goo being pushed through, not actually water falling down.
I'd try increasing the speed of the effect for a start and maybe adding some kind of effect to show water cloudss where the water hits the water.

i think the clouds are really lush and very relaxing

it works really good for his game though
he has tiny people and it looks cute when its all together

spikes at the top look weird

i keep thinking about making it but end up spending all my free time playing video games

It needs more white water effect in the center towards the top, at the moment it just looks flat. Other than that and the spiky thing at the start, I like it.

>tfw want to make a 3D lowpoly game
>tfw i have absolutely no fucking idea how in god's name the black magic that is UV wrapping works

Why?

The longer you wait to learn the more you postpone your dream game

Same, I will keep trying though.

I'm trying, man, but no matter what I do I just don't fucking get it. Modeling isn't even that hard by comparison, UV Unwrapping is just fucking nonsensical.

>UV unwrapping
>black magic
Are you retarded?
It's incredibly easy unless you're going for a very specific kind of effect or need to conserve every last bit of your texture.

Just pick seams and unwrap like it's a papercraft or a unsewn dress, jesus christ.

Attached: 1511163060837.png (1788x1069, 292K)

>having trouble with UV unwrap
>for low poly models

Attached: 1554756937767.png (500x913, 230K)

Not him but holy fuck I think I just got it thanks to your explanation and image.

C++ and UE4 is still useful for 2D. Hell, 3D modeling can be as well. Using polygons for parallax effects for instance. Don't fall for the pixel art meme, user.

Attached: ss_c19a78cc39ff238b85ef91f95db96ebde49edda7.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 474K)

>Are you retarded?
Probably. I tried to make a test model with a flipphone that was literally just two rectangles and a cylinder to figure it out and I still couldn't manage it, even with tutorials.
I'm using maya, if that matters.

Attached: retarded.png (259x176, 18K)

>Keep your goals to yourself
>ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself?language=en
If you post in this thread you've already failed.

>Don't fall for the pixel art meme, user.
There is literally nothing wrong with pixel art when used as a legitimate aesthetic choice and not just LOL SO RETRO memery.

>psychology
literally a meme science, NGMI

Maya has various free plugins for UV unwrapping if that helps.
youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vqLw-agk

Attached: looking at Gemma.png (198x237, 108K)

Do they work with the student edition?

i dont know how to use gamemaker studio 2 well but fuck niggers

I don't see why not. They're just python scripts that you copy&paste.

cope

i tried pixel game maker during the free week and it just up and crashed on me

fuck this software

Attached: 1559619048462.jpg (657x527, 47K)

>making character animations in 3d is too much effort
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801187074
2 frames in Akeytsu

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Isekai Quartet - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_03.09.926.png (1280x720, 1.07M)

You've made me angry so i made you a webm.
Literally too 2 and a half minutes. Sure you could optimize it a lot, but if you just need to unwrap and go, there's literally nothing hard about UV unwrapping.

Maya is even better for that than Max.

Also, don't try to use some automatic unwrapping, unless you're going to fix it by hand later, do it yourself every time

Attached: uv.webm (582x450, 2.53M)

I actually agree. It's just that people tend to think that 2D pixel art is somehow easier, not really understanding how much it takes to make even something like Shovel Knight.

Hey, many games in the past used 3d models for making 2d sprites pic related.
And I've been following one dev who uses 3d models with strong AO as a base for his pixel art.

Attached: homm3.jpg (650x815, 200K)

I find it hard to figure out how to actually make game in the Entity component system, and they don't have real tutorials yet.

>but the character animations still sound very complicated to do on your own
Animation is way fucking easier in 3D, which is why 2D animation is fucking dead right across the board in the creative industries, it's time consuming, requires genuine talent and thus is expensive. 3D is cheap and quick.

Not to mention there are a bunch of ridiculously good auto riggers out there these days, combined with stock animation sets and easy retargeting within the engines themselves.

Sure 3D animation looks daunting if you're looking in from the outside, but I can assure you it really isn't, and you can always render out 2D from your 3D extremely easily.

Really?

>wanted to make a tower defense game ála wc3
>feel like there's not enough freedom in Defense Grid 1/2, Bloons TD, etc.
>made a half-way rts building grid that could accept buildings in unity
>started mucking about in blender for 3 weeks
>made a single tower i was happy with
>in order to get my game up to the standard i find acceptable, i need atleast 50 towers and 100 variants of said towers
>not counting actual terrain, coding, monsters to be slain, icons, ui, interraction, attacks and more endless shit
>still find the game making process a lot of fun, like a sandbox of imagination
However, how is there anyone that ever made a game solo? There's just not enough time in the day!
.. I think I have misunderstood Woolay and his 'Cube World', this shit takes too much time to be reasonable alone...

Attached: 1533120639937.png (1080x1288, 1.36M)

not that guy, and I know you are trying to show to the other guy that it is not that hard, but in case some noob reads this: It is not good idea to put seams in very visible places, especially middle of the head.

It isn't the mid 90's anymore user, painting across UV seems is extremely easy.

I know I would

That;s all it is though. It's a massive drain but it's not that hard

Attached: BirdUV.png (1024x1024, 248K)

I've got little to do at work now, so I wanna try making an easy game with shitty mspaint assets. What should I make?

Don't listen to these faggots.
It looks great.

I believe the Red Alert 2/Tib Sun era of CnC games used 3D models to make voxels.

you make one model and just keep remaking the textures
or find creative ways to reuse shit
like in warcraft 3 all the Tree of Life and big tree guys are just glorified reskins with meshes added to the side

even look at blizzards new projects like Wow
how many races were new races were reskinned night elfs?

Why? Legit question.

Unity has a good tower defence template, that would be a good base for your game.
Look into making modular models to speed up the process of making assets e.g. each tower you make may be build of 3 parts; top, middle and bottom. if you made even 2 variations of each part you could build like 8 different towers out of that.
You just gotta work smart, and take shortcuts when you can

It isn't 00's either user, you gotta plan for your baking

youtu.be/tzPnwwQJoVw
youtu.be/zrVTKagBFrM
I don't give a fuck about the wobbling polygons, but this looks worth the money just for the reflection and fadeout effects alone.

there's like 5 plugins that do this already for free

Almost all isometric sprite work back then was rendered out from 3D because it's a whole lot fucking easier to render out a single 3D model from multiple angles than do the hundreds of variations each unit had by hand.

RTS, ARPG, RPG, squad based tactics games, god damn near everything, and it's still extremely common today for the same reason.

What can I make with a toaster pc from 2009?

We're talking about low poly shit user, no one here is baking anything, they're not even doing high poly meshes to bake from.

it's a prop and there's a crevice there, in this particular case it won't be an issue, but i have the face unwrapped as one piece in an actual asset.

Attached: uvs.jpg (1416x1148, 1.03M)

I'm still a college student so parents have me covered financially, school is boring and I have nothing to do

Some RPGMaker trash

anything
apply yourself
these engines are all about 15+ years old now

Attached: krillin.jpg (1920x1010, 190K)

well sure if your intention is to just hand paint everything

Good job. I just wanted to mention in case someone wanted to learn something extra

i wanna compose for a game

as a fellow music bro we are treated like dogshit unless your very famous

Attached: 1554661464478.png (380x443, 6K)

You're treated as good as your work.

>Get a little bit away from the model
>it switches to a mipmap
>you now have a nasty seam because your painted texture got blurred and leaked

thats a load of crap and you know it

Now that you mention it, I can't even count the amount of times blizz re-used the skeleton and simply changed the texture / added a little mesh and release it as a "new spider enemy", "new wolf enemy", etc.

Essentially what said, making everything either modular or just start out simplistic enough that a 'tower upgrade' would just add another mesh could solve a lot of problems and makes a ton of sense.

I feel like I have a hundred ideas for my game but too little time to get around to everything in a pace faster then 5 years. Just making the terrain, pathing and monsters for the waves will eat every second of a few years of time, just to create a proof of concept.

The entire process already feels daunting at the first step..

Attached: 1482132388051.jpg (480x274, 22K)

artfag here
music is honest to god probably the most important thing to making a game memorable, you fuckers are what decide whether a game actually sells

>auto generating mipmaps
>auto generating lods
Not my fault if you're a shit artist.

i'm playing videogames with sound off, what now?

Your music is a load of crap if you disagree.

The games industry in particular is entirely driven by the quality of your work.

you're gay

im more surprised you were able to understand my gibberish
i reread what i wrote and boy it was some dumb shit

but yeah blizzard does alot of reuse and had a shit ton of assets to just reuse to save on itteration time
think about the blink /bloodlust icon how long have they been using that picture? 20 years?

you can do something as lazy as having a tower and painting it blue for a icey slow effect tower and maybe just toss some ice crystals in the mix

Attached: 43d60e8d9d2d80aec8079613db44d650_400x400.png (400x400, 265K)

Or you could just plan ahead and notput a seam on the front and center of a character to then sweat about working around it while making LODs.

>manually generating mipmaps
Talk about shit artist.

musicfags please post your music in here, even if its just short samples
I also might have need for some tracks in the future

The worst composing gigs I've done have been for theater of all things. Six weeks in a literal barn for rehearsals where I was tasked to compose on the spot as scenes were blocked out.

soundcloud.com/ts2000

No, i don't think so.

bros, give me a basic synopsis of a game, not your dream game, but something that you can reasonably do

bro there's too much fucking music being released now

if there's 40 games posted per day for steam there's like at least 2000 tracks posted per day for spotify and other streaming services

There is your problem, you have too much ideas and features. Try to figure out what is the minimal stuff you need to make it fun and the concept working. Then you figure out what is the next urgent/best thing to add. And build your way outwards from there.
Then you throw away 90% of your ideas.

Honestly, I think I could get a basic ass RTS/MOBA/Topdown click game going. I just like clicking, pressing shit, and characters.

>character
It's a prop mate and it's almost guaranteed to be using a mirrored texture to save UV space.

this honestly
you don't need 50 towers for a defense game lol
try having like 6

Oh fuck I didn't realize they use transparency for his ear. That's a good idea.

I'm creating a distributed multiplayer Yume Nikki type thing akin to Janus VR. It's a bit more of a programming project than a video game at the moment but I have hopes for it. Right now the big hurdle is making a virtual machine and compiler for the scripting language.

Attached: ken ishii.gif (245x187, 1.93M)

making dungeon puzzles will be the bane of level designing for me

Attached: 1avnpr.jpg (598x354, 36K)

a dumb question but would it be wise to play YIIK as a guideline of what not to do when making a video game? I ask because I heard about the gameplay and it sounds a bit similar to my idea.

>soundcloud.com/ts2000

I like your stuff man. You also dabble in different genres, which is good. Favorited the site.

are you also making a Zelda clone user?

Attached: file.png (500x900, 595K)

nice digits

Yes, from what I have seen. Play it very consciously and write stuff down that gets on your nerve and that you would change.
Spoiler: The writing is really really shit. Just get a book on how to write and laugh about it.

Oh! Thank you. Appreciate it. All my stuff is free to download if you or anyone wants it.

I've been dying to see a comeback on top down adventures for awhile, ironically most of my inspiration came from old rpgmaker games

>All my stuff is free to download if you or anyone wants it.

Thats great! Thanks. Question: Was AWSU Suite meant for a specific game? Because it sounds like it.

That's actually all original, but it does sound like it's meant for a soundtrack. I began writing that at the beginning of the year when I wanted to try something a bit more technical. Each track is a "variation on a theme," so it's really like a bunch of little melodies done in different styles, and instruments. Good for a demo reel, lol.

W Variations is probably my favorite, since it goes up in meter with each section. Starts in a 3/4 waltz, and ends in 7/4.

But that's because of the theme of the game!
The idea spins around that you start out in a 'forest biome', as you build walls and towers to create your pathing, other biomes will start to emerge.
Naturally in the classic themes of 'Dark', 'Light', 'earth', 'nature', 'fire', 'water', for a traditional rock paper scissors.
So, the idea was to have one race for each type that you can start out with, with correlating themes as you build out your maze. Which in turns meant 10 towers per 'race', with 15 upgrades to said race, which could combine somewhat like the custom game.

Obviously I would only create the forest biome, forest monsters and forest towers for the proof of concept.
I guess I could make the game in a 'expansion' or 'dlc' fashion that releases one new biome&race, if I ever get that far..

Attached: 1539265240984.jpg (1920x1072, 196K)

>come up with an idea for a game
>said idea already exists

Attached: sad mushroom.jpg (1200x675, 89K)

Why not just use an engine????

>playing that god awful mess
watch a lets play instead

execute it better.
Build up on that idea.
Add a twist to it

you can do it better

not that guy, but you can write custom renderers even for engines

To any and all of you who are choosing the low-poly path rather than the dumpster tier pixel art path, I love and respect your devotion and skill.

Godspeed.

yeah start just with a few biodomes, and then like one tower for each.
Your first core is "shooting monsters with towers" and the second more unique to your game is how the interaction between biodomes work and if that is fun. If you nail that (with the ,keyword, minimal stuff you need) then you can add more towers/upgrades/biodomes.

Ideas are worthless, it's all in the execution.

>How's that game coming along Yea Forums?
Pretty great, learning how to do networking for a 100 player game.
Hilarious results so far given i'm an artist by trade.

These guys are right, Ideas are a dime a dozen. Put your twist on it, make it better.

>Made a basic GDD
>Stuck on engine choices because they have stuff that appeals to me but something always detracts from it hard
>Probable real reason is because I'm probably subconsciously stalling and making excuses on why I haven't made a game yet
Fuck this struggle and autism.

Attached: 1536973201877.jpg (345x354, 18K)

Idea's aren't worthless, just flesh it out and give it to some retarded codemonkey to make it for you.

Gave up on making anything in Unreal Engine.
Decided to do small steps and just make some levels for VRChat.
Didn't do that either.
Waiting for Blender 2.80
I'm never gonna make anything I wish I was put down out of my misery.
I wish I could just pay someone to be my programming monkey, but I've learnt that you have to do these things yourself if you want results.

Attached: bodyswap models.png (1000x432, 165K)

make a prototype with cubes and spheres while waiting for you blendur 2.8 if it is so important to you. I'm personally just really happy I am making anything and learning something new.

>but I've learnt that you have to do these things yourself if you want results.
How have you learned that if all you've achieved is literally nothing doing things by yourself?

We're making a Fire Emblem clones that focuses more on range combat, and so far we're having somewhat of a trouble on balancing the game right now.

Just pick Unreal and move on. Remember that using a popular engine has a ton of perks. No matter what problem you have, you can always google a solution for Unreal. For a smaller engine you're often stuck trying to figure it out yourself

What's the problem? Just tweaking values?

Tell me what you think about my game idea
>2D top-down JRPG (I expect an extremely witty person to respond, "stopped reading here")
>sprite art inspired by mother 3 with simplistic backgrounds and pleasant colors
>plot is based on a story from ancient China where our protagonist is sent on a journey to a mysterious kingdom to the east to discover the elixir of life, and the magic arts
>protagonist's crew abandons him during the journey though so he has to do it alone
>he arrives and the kingdom isn't openly hostile, and can move around freely, but is lead from place to place plot-wise by people with uncertain motives while these mysterious guys are trying to fuck with him
>throughout the game, you gain power by beating these mooks and reading the scrolls they have as you slowly become the most powerful man in the kingdom
Does it sound like something you would play? I hope to release all my games for free based on principle, so there's that. It's only myself doing it so there's no wages to pay. I've got several sprites and music tracks being worked on at the moment.

Comissioned a couple of things from people that had a following and they always took ugly shortcuts and didn't do what I wanted.
I did make a couple avatars, some from base (using VRoid, but still), and ported some levels, it's just I basically feel like I'm stabbing myself with a hot poker whenever I do something "creative", so I don't do anything and only make concept arts and watch tutorials I never follow into action.
Fair enough, I should probably do that.

wish there was somewhere to discuss engine programming but everyone here is using unity and people on /g/ are worse programmers than the unity users

Kinda yeah. We're making it realistic with body armor and stuff. Without body armor, a pistol shot can pretty much kill anyone even the playable units. Early game will be full of generic thugs that wear nothing and can be killed pretty quickly. Later game will have beefed up enemies with higher armor value. We're having a hard time balancing damage and HP as well as growth per level.

Nobody cares about your "video game idea" which you say is like X but Y and spend the whole paragraph detailing the story instead of the gameplay

Instead of watching tutorials and thinking to yourself that is how you are going to do it, start working with tutorials. Watch few steps, pause the video, do the same thing, and play more.
If prototyping with cubes and spheres looks shit to you, you can always use some ripped assets for prototyping.

>describes a very basic story
>does it sound like you want to play it
Play what? Sounds like a book to me

understand that all turn-based combat is an abstraction and don't aim for realism if it's ruining your gameplay
it's fine if units take multiple shots to kill
infact you wouldn't have a very good game if they didn't

Name one JRPG where the story doesn't take longer to explain that the gameplay. Plus it's not like the famous ones people suck off all the time really have gameplay worth writing home about, let's be honest with ourselves here.

Let me boil down the gameplay as you described it:
>it's a JRPG and you fight mobs to get stronger
Powerful stuff

Are "boxy" UV-maps something that's done just for very low-poly models or is it fine for everything?
Seems like an interesting way to save space and share textures compared to automatic unwrap.

well if you're making a JRPG with garbage gameplay the only thing people care about is the art and possibly the music, so post some graphics, nobody cares about the shitty story

You don't really have a story though. "Dude goes on a journey to a new kingdom to discover an artifact" is not exactly a story

I think so too. Just that I was aiming for faster pace turn based tile combats with your character dealing a lot of damage but is also as fragile and will need to plan out kills instead of tank baiting all day like in Fire Emblem.

I most likely will. It's the engine that I got the most mileage out of and I like their weird ability/stat system. I just wish I could understand their way of C++ better.

I'm not even at the balancing stage of my game, and I know it is going to be hard.
For now, I' just work on a good architecture with scriptable objects in unity so I will be able to tweak numbers later without exiting play mode. I hope that is going to save me time later.

Some ideas for your game:
lighter armor should allow you to move further, or heavy armor should have a some movement penalty, or making it so they move later.
You could make it so if you move, then you cannot shoot.

It depends on your game mechanics. If it's like a normal RPG where characters are expected to take damage and there's alot of chance involved, one-hit kills are a very bad idea. Infact unless you have so many units that individuals don't matter I'd say one-hit kills are still a bad idea because you have no room for error and it'll just make the game frustrating

Does it really matter though. In this day and age does super neat UV packing really matter? You'll waste a lot of time doing it and you'll get very little out of it in terms of performance boost.

Would you say making the 'core' of the system or working on the graphx to be a better time spent to begin with?
I'm kind of stuck in a rut after making a single tower and I'm not 100% sold on unity, so I'm contemplating just going with graphx.
Since it's a tower defense type of game, for future prospects and the death of PC, which engine supports superior compatibility with phones?
>don't you guys have PhOnEs???
Not gonna lie, would be pretty cool to win some smartphone bux from ignorant 5y/olds

Attached: 1526294482566.jpg (1024x958, 76K)

>r future prospects and the death of PC, which engine supports superior compatibility with phones?
fuck off

I wasn't going to say all of my gameplay ideas, but there was one idea where you'd essentially have to fight using whatever you can find. I don't want to say it's weapon degradation but I want to modify it from that RPG standard where all the equipment is just a straight upgrade and you rarely have to worry about not having a good way to fight in some instance or just being able to get through an area by mashing attack. That, combined with the found magic thing, sounds like a pretty good base IMO.
It would be more of an art/music thing than plot, really. The setting would just be flair.

That's the idea. There's an equipment load stat and speed stat that govern movements, as well as 4 levels of armors that further reduces types of ammunitions.
We're simulating recoils by having automatic weapons having "shot capacity", means how many shot they can take in a single turn. The more shot they take, the less hit chance it will become. Like an AR-15 will have 5 maximum shot capacity, shooting 1 shot will have 90% accuracy but shooting 5 shots in the row will further reduce the accuracy to 10% per shots.

Given the gameplay is summarized as jrpg, and the story is simple enough, I would play it based on artstyle and waifus.

Attached: global standard.gif (500x278, 2.13M)

3d modelling programs try to create efficient UV layouts for you
there's no point trying to make it super-packed like that image unless you're trying to be cute

it depends on how much you care about stretching and different parts having more resolutions than others.

>picked unity because i know the death of desktops are coming

Attached: gary.gif (500x376, 378K)

Better yet use UVLayout, that thing packs UVs even tighter than Max/Maya/Blender does

YIIK/10
needs more memes

Stop trying to build a game engine from Scratch and work on a game instead you mouthbreathing cocksucker

Sounds good, by the way when you balance the game maybe it's not about tweaking damage and protection values, but leveling.

>using Unity
Why are people doing this when Unreal exists?

yeah if you're making a shooting game with guns and accuracy, one hit kills for even the weakest weapons is a fucking awful idea
I suggest playing some turn-based shooting games like jagged alliance or x-com to see how they do things or so you can see what to avoid
for a normal situation without taking in armour or hit location, just a torso shot to an unarmored target I do 3 hits for a pistol, 2 hits for an intermediate round rifle and 1 hit for a full rifle round to kill, and that would be considered quite high

>UVLayout
Mein nieger.

die

I already built my game engine before Unity was even a thing, I am working on a game

Why do you think Unreal is better?

Fuck. Yell at Amazon to make Lumberyard actually useable. It can be the real Unity in the Unity vs Unreal debate.

>I already built my game engine before Unity was even a thing
What the fuck have you been doing for the last 15 years?

I thought this thread would help my motivation, but really I just want to give up now.

Pretty well, but I need some other music tracks. I only know how to play violin. I need somebody who can play piano. Ironic but I can't do that.

Looks better, better supported, unlike Unity guaranteed to actually still exist in the next generation so your skills won't be wasted, is cheaper as far as I understand.

It's always, always working on your core mechanic that comes first. The graphics are what you put on top of it. If the game itself is shit, anything you make in addition for it is pretty much wasted.

The general safe answer is Unity, though Godot also support iOS and android, supposedly.

unity only really took off about 7-8 years ago
before that options were very limited

Australians can do that

Who told you those things? What do you base it on?

Leveling up units will give them stats that increases accuracy, speed, equipment loads and other minor things like crit chance, with small HP growth on tankier classes like Heavy Gunner or Battle Medic. Also each units have 6 skills, 4 generic class skills and 2 personal skills that are unique to one character, and we're trying to balance them all out.
We're trying to put emphasize on wearing body armor. Having no armor at all will give you bonus movement range and speed as well as dodge chance, and range units can't shoot gun in adjacent tiles. There're also melee units which scales from Strength, which is a stat requirement for some guns.

Unity was a thing 15 years ago.
>I already built my game engine before Unity was even a thing

It existed 15 years ago perhaps, it definitely was not popular until 8 years ago, 10 years at the most, I know because I fucking looked everywhere for decent 3D engines for indies at the time and turned up nothing so I had to make my own

I put the music first, 100% always. If the music isn't there than fuck off with your game. It's what engaged me when I first started playing games.

Or else the visuals. If your mood is off, fuck off with your game. It has to feel right. Once you've got that....the foundation...then you make a game.

Story itself is about that mood. The light and the sound.

I've worked in both and came to those conclusions myself. Also I think Unreal has better UI and better shit for materials. Not sure what the current Unity pricing situation is though.

yeah and instakilling the players units for not having body armor on just makes everyone fucking wear armor cause nobody wants to deal with that
that's how jagged alliance works

Yeah as far as I remember 10 years ago a lot of indie devs were still doing their own engines, not so much these days.

So what have you been doing for the last decade, I mean aside from making excuses.

Also Torque was absolutely a thing, even before Unity.

It's not, but I've been watching GDC talks and reading articles by devs.
There's an ocean of knowledge out there.

you didn't have a choice, it was that or some halfassed shit that didnt work like torque3D or blitz basic

And what would motivate you?
People posting progress, and talking about how easy it is to make a game?
Oh no, the competition is too big, I am never going to make it!

People posting no progress, and talking about how hard it is to make anything?
Oh no, it is just too damn hard, I better not even try!

If you want to make a game, then make a game. Motivate yourself. It's about how you feel about it.

That's a lot of values to tweak, maybe you should have been balancing as you went, before implementing more features.

MORE MEMES U SAY?

Attached: pag.webm (936x542, 691K)

For development, you can swap music and graphics easily in and out. Not so much with gameplay in the later stages. But it helps to have some art to know what you're building towards/get inspired.

Torque was unusable
What excuses did I make? I already made my engine, I've been working on my game
It's a big game

We also contemplating adding a Chain Takedown system, killing a unit will grant your unit another turn, which can be used to chain kills. However it can be quite risky as your gun can run out of ammo during chains or RNG didn't favor you and you miss your shots during chain. Basically you need to balance out being offensive and when to fall back and have other friendly units back you up.

Why though?
The best games come from ideas that are perfectly fluid. Be it sound or graphics. It must flow perfectly.

These days you get different portions of a thing that become a game. Rather than a fluent genius of everything.I'd hate to cite katawa shoujo, but what we did was actually a work of passion.

The music was very good, but all-in-all it was incomplete. We should have done more stories but hell, by the time we got it out it was a clusterfuck of stupidity that was going to be critiqued to hell and back.

I didn't want to write for ANY character once they got their hands on it. They might have fucking killed me if I wrote a route where they didn't get to facefuck somebody.

ok that made me laugh.

But that thing alone in the game will put off a lot of rock-paper-shotgun/resetera/etc users.

If you think music is integral to video game development and conception in any way you probably should be making something like visual novels instead
music can literally come in at the last 10% of development, and usually does

>Torque was unusable
So unusable that it's still being used and still putting out good games two decades later kek

Already do.

I wanted to make Miki a softball pitcher that lost her hand in some accident. AW NO too deep.

How can we even compete, bros?
static1.e621.net/data/40/4d/404d0732bb689f2d990c59ca85de90d7.webm

>So unusable that it's still being used and still putting out good games two decades
lol, like what? the is literally the first time I've heard it mentioned in a decade

>dime a dozen

VNs aren't video games, best not to confuse the two so you don't look like a brainlet

any recommended youtube channels, videos, or books on game design?

VN are a different beast, there it is pretty much defined what the gameplay is (click paths to progress). I was talking about games where the gameplay has to be developed also, like the more complex tower defence mentioned earlier.

Why don't you fuck off?
It's one of the only good things to come out of Yea Forums and well, VN's are confirmed to be video games by the administration of this website.

They're visual, and they're games.

Video, games.

But that is a good thing.
More people should use idiot's rage as marketing.
Just as there are going to be people who don't buy your game because it upsets them, there are going to be others who will buy them because they like it for not worrying about upsetting them.

no they're not games
their closest equivalent are comic books
I hope you're not trying to imply Cripple Girl came out of Yea Forums, it was started on Yea Forums and moved off-site as soon as the project got off the ground

Do you even fucking indie?
Jesus christ.
What have you been doing for the last 20 years?

Attached: AgeofDecadence.jpg (616x353, 97K)

I like watching some GDC talks. Also checking out postmortems.

Using an engine that wasn't Torque apparently
Hasn't been mentioned in these threads once, don't try and pretend it's popular

Well, I would cite something like sengoku rance at this point, but you might not have played it.

Shit is amazing if you give it a chance. I shit on it for maybe, two years and then found out that it has an extremely difficult role-playing strategy aspect.

YOu need to do boxy UVs liek this only if you need sharp edges with a tiny texture size or if you want effects flow a specific way, this in no way is useful for generic application, mostly because you'll get a lot of distortion and because it's time consuming.

PS1 games used to be unwrapped like this because it allows you for a sharp and clean lines that keep being sharp no matter the texture resolution or distance from the camera.

Attached: 1504252925872.jpg (1005x1029, 259K)

There are zero good resources for game designers online, there's a bunch of really bad youtube channels with consumer grade "analysis" but if you want to be a good game designer you need to learn yourself

That's one embarrassingly stiff walkcycle

I wouldn't imply that anything came out of this shit-hole.

I never said it was popular, I said it was still being used and putting out good games.

Unlike you.

Are you mad I shit on your favourite engine or something
It was unusable when I checked it out, that was ten years ago though

What's the best engine for racing games? The Assetto Corsa dev didn't use Unity due to being modder-unfriendly

Always wondered how texture maps all jumbled up like in pic are organized and read onto a 3d model

game maker's toolkit is pretty good
youtube.com/user/McBacon1337/videos

No i'm just having a good laugh at the fact that you've been procrastinating for the better part of 20 years.

Unreal is actually pretty good, unless you want things to actually work when the cars crash.

I thought it was 10 years? Procrastinating on what?

Let's say I'm a good 3D modeler. I can design assets and characters and levels in programs like sketchup and 3dsmax, but I have no idea what to do with them.
When using an engine like Unity or something, is it as simple as importing them as a .obj? Where's a good springboard or starting area that'll take my experience in design and teach me to actually put design aspects into action?

Probably UE4, but only because it handles tertiary stuff really well, to make a decent racing game in any engine it's going to be a LOT of ground up work.

u use FBX but basically

That's the least embarrassing part of that video.

>Procrastinating on what?
Clearly nothing kek

I read that story. Liked it a lot.

I wouldn't lean on that if I were you.
Just make a cool game that upsets nobody and you get both audiences.

So you're mad because of a story you made up about me?

I want to make a simple game, but I'm an art guy and the roadblock that's making me put it off is the fact that I know next to nothing about programming. If I want to make a basic hack and slash action-RPG sort of thing, how difficult is that to learn enough basic programming skill to do that? I know my way around Unity, I just can't program.

You just import fbx
Unity can also open blend files, but I would still go with fbx.

why is minecraft still 30$ on PC and 7$ on phones?

its the same fucking game?

Attached: 1558454430229.jpg (210x240, 14K)

>I know my way around Unity, I just can't program.
what does that even mean
what else is there to unity apart from putting your art in and programming it to do something

It's not. Programming's a bitch but now real life stuff is getting in the way. Not sure what to do.

Well yeah the rest is self-evident. Why do I need to point out the obvious when walking into a pigsty and say it stinks

When some people get upset because a female npc has breasts, or your game is not inclusive, you might as well roll with it.

Why would you pay for minecraft?
youtube.com/watch?v=zV51LdERPuU

Let me rephrase that: me know how to use unity. Me import model and animation. Me no program. Is that easier to understand?

I'm just trying to be funny by pointing out the obvious, don't worry about it.

Can you dumb it down a little

just lookin at the metrics
i can port my game to ios and android with one click but i don't think i could get away with charging 20-30 $ for the phone version

how know how to use unity but no program??

ain't c# part of unity? grug brain hurt

Attached: 1555524831242.jpg (259x194, 11K)

GRUG USE UNITY
PROGRAMMING MAKE GRUG BRAIN HURT
HOW MUCH GRUG LEARN TO MAKE HITTING GAME

Oh I get it.

The same way you can wrap any object in real world in a 2D piece of paper. Wrap that paper around the object and the paper takes a 3D shape, unwrap it and it's 2D. UV is that unwrapped piece of paper

Working on magic system mostly, got 19 simple spells so far

No i'm laughing because of the story you've told us about yourself.

So what does a game that's been in development for 15 years look like user, are you going to show us?

I haven't been developing a game for 15 years, I said I made an engine 10 years ago

>virgin Yea Forums betas have no hope of winning, losing to have sex
>chad scaley alphas do the raping, winning to have sex

I'm going to bet on it looking like temple OS. For fucks sake.

There are several games developed for NES from Christianity that are actually competent which is well, not all that surprising. This shit aught to be hilarious.

>hey dudes we collect all sins and find the holy cross
>then what
>oh you go to hell
>sure is awesome

Yeah naw fuck off.

I get that but how do you measure how much of what portion is used for what section of the model. Its automated somehow isn't it. Of course it would be. Its read off the file and used when rendered and saved in that jumbled mess to be compact or some shit right?

It's not that difficult. Just go through Unity scripting tutorials, and you'll get the hang of it.

Okay, thanks.

It makes an automated wrap and then you go and put seams on that wrap, cut it up into bits. And then you click a button and those bits are all flattened out and arranged together. The goal usually is to have as few bits as possible but also as little distortion as possible. But you may need something else depending on what you're doing

>What excuses did I make? I already made my engine, I've been working on my game
So show us your game user.

Play Golden Sun for an idea of simple puzzles that still feel creative and varied

Congratulations to alll of you wasting your time on a game that will be buried in the sea of shovelware that Comes out every single day

Hope you all enjoy selling a grand amount of 5 copies after years of effort have sex, subhumans

How do you create 2D sprites?
Does the method differ if you have high res 2D sprite compared to low res?

Do you simply draw it and scale it down?
Do you draw pixel for pixel on your own?

Attached: 40b2d36c971cc5716795a2cc7bc0e476997f0fc39eea659d6706a48a717dc3cb.jpg (684x1024, 324K)

I really wish more games used Golden Sun as a reference point for RPG overworlds and dungeon design.

why? so you can mock me for have the audacity to make my own engine?

All the best stories come from immense pain, sadness, and then redemption. Not sure it was one of mine. If it took a Japanese bent where everyone was fucked and tragedy was the end? Nope. I hate that shit and I abhorrently despise it.

low res is drawn pixel-by-pixel
there's numerous methods for high res sprites, using handdrawn art or prerendered or just digital painting

No, so we can use you as a cautionary tale for aspiring game devs who think making their own engine is a good idea.

Are you a fan of Metal Max by any chance? I would recommend a playthrough to see how they manage long range weapons.

Essentially you switch between armored and unarmored enemies. You must use your tank or a firearm to damage armored enemies. Early items like throwing knives, axes, slingshots become worthless depending on the enemy type, and ammo/durability affects the efficacy of a firearm or tank.

Also weight limits, upgrades, and other expenses for a tank limit their uses

>not sure it was one of mine
I thought you were talking about Summer's Clover, cause it has the exact same backstory for Miki you brought up.

i already told you i didnt have a choice at the time, it has little to do with anything i'm making now, you just sound insecure

try playmaker for unity.
Helped me put together some playable demos and I've never coded

I got a question, why are the textures scrambled on the top left?

you gotta know basics like youtube.com/watch?v=UN-m3o9V7kk
That whole channel is full of good videos for beginners.

What do you mean?

Quit making excuses, are you going to show us your game or not?

they aren't scrambled, it's just what you draw and that's the texture part. The model is then split up and flattened and laid over the top of it.
Like when you open out a cereal box into a flat sheet

nope

I could write a better one but all the guys that worked on KS have moved way the fuck on. I'd definitely write a backstory for other characters. Especially the one missing most of her limbs but, eh.

I would like to write one about her where she accidentally walked on an undetinated bomb in Vietnam while visiting it with her parents. She was missing all but what, one hand right?

I could dominate that writing at this point.

imagine writing katawa shoujo fan-fiction and having any esteem for your "work"

nvm, the user below explained
thank you

If you didn't know about it, gltf2 looks pretty good :
godotengine.org/article/we-should-all-use-gltf-20-export-3d-assets-game-engines
The footnote is outdated, Maya and 3DSmax both have a gltf2 exporter now (as a plugin).

So user was right all along huh.

Naw, I'd like to make an expansion, which wouldn't be that hard.

It's been about what, fifteen fucking thousand years in terms of how many shitty generals they've had? I only just noticed that character after firing it up again two days ago.

Don't talk down on them like you're any better

I don't know what you're trying to prove, but that many generals really does warrant a "what the fuck are you guys doing?"

and what are you doing writing fan-fiction for it? Don't put down other autists to make yourself seem less so, you're all in the same boat

at this point it's mostly just a circlejerk that has nothing to do with the game, just a place for /ksg/ regulars to post their blogshit

>It would be more of an art/music thing than plot, really. The setting would just be flair.
If you're not an artfag, you've already failed.

T. Artfag who gets annoyed at shitty commissions by nonartists who have awful ideas for games and comics.

Either hire and artist, and let them do their job, or become an artist and do it yourself. Don't step in the middle with your grand idea of how you'd like the game to look when you hardly know anything about or good design. I guarantee you that your ideas are not very good, and incredibly cliche, and there's nothing more obnoxious than designing cool shit, and only having it ruined by a client who'd constantly stepping on your toes.

So, either become an artfag, or think of a new idea that doesn't rely on "good art" to sell it.

Thank you anons.

To be fair u shoulda knew he was a faker when he didn't post his game already

Because it is.

>and only having it ruined by a client who'd constantly stepping on your toes
That's what working in any creative field is like

Why would I post my game when someone clearly just wants to pick it apart? I've already posted it in this thread under different circumstances but I'm not doing so to "win" an internet argument with someone who disagrees with me doing something for no apparent reason

Who says I am?
Maybe I'm actually considering a real expansion. What would be wrong with that, you silly cunt?

Give the autists something to bitch about for another two decades. I am fucking shocked that it's still taken this seriously. Lilly in particular is not something I expected to be taken so seriously. They'd knife a bitch. Good god.

That's still fan-fiction geinus
All you Yea Forums amateur writers are the same
You all write like you're wearing a fedora and think you're the coolest kid on the planet but everyone at school bullies you

What do you write like? Do you just exist in an ether where you persist in pure smug?
lol, go fuck yourself.

2D or 3D for an RTS?
I want multiple terrain layers and that will be easier to code and convey in 3D and some units are rotateable so 3D will be a shortcut for that, but the 3D asset pipeline is a lot harder and performance is another issue, I want big maps.
What do?

Attached: 1544479670617.jpg (422x650, 106K)

there's only like 4 games here and all of them are in unity

>nightly
>it's past noon
>:(

not a game dev at all but will isometric view make it easier for you?
if that's not what you already mean

don't confuse the internal respresentation of the game state with the graphics
all RTSes work on a mostly 2D plane, even if they have 3D graphics

No it's not. I've had good clients who are professional, and understand what my job is, and just let me cut loose with the aesthetic.

And then I have idiots who MUST have things a certain way, even if I advice them against it, but they've got it so in their heads to have their shitty "not Sasuke" character or whatever the fuck, that it all just goes to shit.

I've had tons of projects where it's like, I don't even want my name attached to them, but I did exactly what the client asked for for the paycheck. If you're not an artist, let the artist do their job, and stop designing for them. Artists are hired for their ideas and visual imagery. I guarantee you we have a much larger reference library of ideas in our mind than you do, we've literally trained ourselves to have that. So stop it.

That doesn't answer the question at all and I'm not confusing anything.

Mine is in Unreal Engine

Red Alert 2 style. Use Voxels.

You're an artcuck
You bought it on yourself by doing commissions
that's why I quit

Still a million times better than drawing furry porn. I pity those idiots.

android is nothing to no one

Depends on which one you have experience with. If you don't have it with either, then maybe first make something simpler or you'll probably feel overwhelmed. As personal recommendation I would go for the versatility that 3D gives you but mechanically it will be pretty much identical either way. Maybe you could even make a hybrid, 3D environments, 2D sprites if you think full 3D will be too much work.

I am so lost in the utter stupidity of this
.............whaaaaat the fuck are you talking about

Writers are humble. they don't do....whatever it is...uh..what that.....no I am gone in this monstrosity of stupidity

Being able to harvest the moon.

People hiring skilled professionals and telling them what to do even if they don't have the skill themselves and their ideas are lame

I am all for not using fbx in future, but opengex.org/comparison.html
now is still not the time.

That's what working in a creative field is like you twat. If you didn't want to draw someone else's dumb shit then don't be an artist.

games have hard-realtime requirements just like cars, planes, tanks, and spacecraft; so make sure you don't allocate anything except at initialization time!

no they're soft-realtime and do plenty of loading while you're still playing the game giving you stutters

>I expect an extremely witty person to respond, "stopped reading here"
Stopped reading there. Cringy weebs who lean into criticism are almost universally terrible at ideas, especially in execution.

I don't get why you and everyone else have such harsh criticism for a game that's only a cute, simple project to make in my free time that I already said would be free. And sure, I'm not specifically an artist myself, but it doesn't take years of practice to determine if something looks pleasing to the eye on a page if you're emulating a simplistic style and learn the basics of color theory.
>I guarantee you that your ideas are not very good, and incredibly cliche
Why? Why? Just tell me why. Do you get off on telling beginners that their ideas are shit before anyone's ever seen them?
>And then I have idiots who MUST have things a certain way, even if I advice them against it
It sounds like you're just projecting some issues you have in your line of work on to me. I already told you this would be a solo project, so why is that even relevant? If you wanted to vent, just be honest and say that's what you're doing rather than pretend you're giving advice.

Attached: clown.png (540x462, 352K)

Saying a stupid thing skillfully is still saying a stupid thing.

That's only a problem if you're using a slow piece of shit memory hog like Unity that can't stop stuttering if you try the slightest thing.

how do you make 2.5D work, I can't get it to not look like shit !

Attached: 1559720343609.jpg (1136x852, 120K)

>I don't get why you and everyone else have such harsh criticism
It's because you're a walking cliche of an "ideas guy" which everyone in any creative field has grown extremely tired of even if it sounds harmless to you

>More excuses
Shocking.
Let us know how development is going in another 20 years time kek

only shit engines like ue >= 3 and unity will drop a dollop of loading for you to tread in

games are the hardest of hard-realtime. hitch for 100ms in a steering control system and no one cares! hitch for 100ms in a game and everyone gets pissed off!

shits amateur for a chat box head but it's a start

Attached: neva.gif (96x96, 15K)

"no" isn't an excuse

No, it's not. That's what working with unprofessional amateurs is like. That's why I'm telling all the idea guys ITT to get their shit together and focus on the core aspects of their game. Not say "yeah, it's the aesthetic that'll make my game good" when you can't draw or fucking paint. In all likelihood, you wouldn't know good aesthetic if it slapped you in the face.

Programming, Level/Game design, Music, Writing, Art. These are the components of a game. With Level/Game Design, Programming, and Art being the 3 most important. Learn one of those 3, master it, and hire competent people to take over the other two. Or, do all 3 yourself, whichever. But don't go halvsies on a skill you're not good at. You just churn out a shitty product, and piss off the people you hired every step of the way, ensuring they'll never work with you again, no matter how much you pay them.

>only shit engines like ue >= 3 and unity will drop a dollop of loading for you to tread in
wrong, they all do it even now

>I don't get why you and everyone else have such harsh criticism for a game
because there's no game, ideas are not games, story ideas are even less of a game

Sure thing sweety.

ITT: Technical fags seethe while based ideaguys dab hardcore

lmao online game dev as a mistake, these guys need to learn their position in their world with a cubicle

Attached: hideo-title-1000x600.jpg (1000x600, 60K)

*sweaty

>In all likelihood, you wouldn't know good aesthetic if it slapped you in the face
You're making a lot of assumptions

>Programming, Level/Game design, Music, Writing, Art. These are the components of a game. With Level/Game Design, Programming, and Art
>conflating music with audio in general
>thinking art is more important than audio
HEY GUYS I FOUND A POSER

ok that picture made laugh incredibly hard.

visual art is much more important to a video game than audio
that's not even an opinion, the game needs to be programmed to support the artwork, audio is something you can just insert at any point in the project without changing anything else

not all do. the id techs don't.

It would look better if you completely remove that right eye which is covered by his hair.

So you are projecting then. I'm a CS student who's learning how to program, I've used Godot a bit, I've made several sprites and backdrops, and I've got tons of music I'm working with now at various stages of development. There's no reason for you to assume I won't go through with it, nor is there a reason for you to jump on me because I asked what people thought about a game idea.
How much gameplay innovation do you expect in a one man 2D RPG? Fucking hell I don't even know why I argue with you people, it's like you only want to cut people down. My computer's shitting bricks just sending these messages so I guess I look forward to responding after I reboot the goddamn thing

>spend 8 hours 3d modeling or debugging software at work everyday
>get home and too tired and think meat used up to even attempt to work on vidya projects
Anyone else have this feel?

Attached: 1556654265228.jpg (320x231, 14K)

megatexturing is literally streaming textures off your hd as you play

I don't mean to be a bother, but saying something isn't the same as doing.

I'm a good writer, maybe even a very good one. Thing is, doing will roll-over your ass every time. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it sure as fuck was conquered by Hannibal.

Swords and shields don't give a fuck about your words.

It made by people who actually make games.

So is Blender the best place to start and try making models without any experience in 3d?
Just make some simple skeletons and animations I assume in there or is it just a polygon tool?

>How much gameplay innovation do you expect in a one man 2D RPG?
A decent deal because that's the only reason why I would play an one man RPG, you can't compete with 100-man teams in the content aspect so you will have to play up your strengths and do something different than yet another mother clone.

>So you are projecting then
I'm not mad at you, I'm just pointing out why others are. It's like when you have a funny name, and someone makes a joke about your name and they think it's hilarious but you roll your eyes because you've heard it a million times. Everyone's heard the ideas guy with a JRPG storyline and no gameplay mechanics before. It's as cliche as it gets

>I'm a good writer, maybe even a very good one
If you're the KS fag then no, you aren't

>8 hours
Quit larping, I haven't worked less than 12 hours a day in years and I still find time every night or every lunch break to work on my own shit.

Stop eating like shit an exercise.

i did mention that but i deleted most of the post because it was too longwinded.

id techs

UE4 has automatic asset streaming too, I don't really see the point of megatextures.

So whats the expected work time for a simple game, that is for someone who knows nothing in regards of creating or where to even begin.

I assume at least 3 months to understand how things work and another 6 for a basic creation (i.e get the ball in hole type thing)right?

Blender is awesome and is quite literally the future of 3D tools for vidya, it's a great jumping off point and a great finishing point to.

t.decadelongmax/maya/modouser

No old games did, they started doing it around the Half Life 2 era when game asset sizes became huge, they all do it these days, I don't like it either

thief's atmosphere is 90% audio. that EAX or A3D (can't remember which) is really, really immerseive. the visuals don't matter much in that game; they're mostly a mess of gamma banding.

I wish they would've just said that outright then. This whole thing is tiring.

Megatextures allow maps that are 100% unique detail with no loading stutters. The disadvantage is those maps have to be mostly static and you have to watch blurry textures stream in as you play

I've been working on menu stuff lately for a linear RPG type thing. Sort of like Yggdra Union where you have a series of cutscenes and battles you fight through while also having a hub area where you can interact with characters to improve how they perform in combat which is sort of inspired by Persona, I guess.

Attached: 2019-06-04 22-18-12.webm (700x392, 2.02M)

Attached: file.png (268x268, 134K)

I'll die on that sword. Shit I wrote back then made muscular dudes cry and thank me for the story.

I don't give a shit. I used to write soft stuff where people cared about each other. Hell, go criticize idiots that write shit for Hallmark if you want an easy target.

OH MY GOD THIS GUY OWNS A VINEYARD, FUCKS ANYBODY HE WANYS AND CAN GOLF WITH HIS DICK WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKING HIM?

>Well we dated in high school for some reason and I don't like him
>insert magic hamster or something

HOLY SHIT I LOVE HIM

A+ fucking tits

You write like you have a terminal case of autism
Just because other autists enjoy it doesn't mean you're objectively good at anything
You'd be laughed out of any serious writing venture
I would say, but game writing standards are fairly low, not at low as people like you though

Post more Low Poly art work pls

>I don't get why you and everyone else have such harsh criticism for a game that's only a cute, simple project to make in my free time that I already said would be free.
Look man, I don't mean to crush your dream, but I'm being realistic. You shouldn't make something for yourself, you should make it for your target audience. It's finding that right balance between something YOU'RE passionate about, that you know would also appeal to a select group of people. If you selfishly design something only for yourself, then you'll blind yourself to all its flaws and learn nearly nothing from it.
>And sure, I'm not specifically an artist myself, but it doesn't take years of practice to determine if something looks pleasing to the eye on a page if you're emulating a simplistic style and learn the basics of color theory.

Yes it does, it absolutely does. Artist learn and PRACTICE what makes good design, and as their skills improve, so does their EYE. Their ability to notice and understand WHAT makes a good design, and to spot good designs, and separate them from bad ones, and with that growth, so does their TASTE improve. Artists have GOOD TASTE in aesthetics, cause that's literally their job. A good artist will at least. Plenty of shitty hacks out there.

You, as a consumer, don't understand good design from bad design, you only like the things you like. Oftentimes liking things purely out of personal bias or peer pressure. Which means you like as many "good things" that are designed to be appealing, as shitty things that you'll eventually grow out of.

What you're doing is called the Dunning Kruger effect. You think you're more skilled at something you have zero experience in. Everyone thinks they're good at something they've never tried before. They're not.

Let the artist do their job

Who says you know what I've written?

Excellent.
I'll give it a go just to see how it works at least before giving up again.

2/2

Let the artist do their job.
>It sounds like you're just projecting some issues you have in your line of work on to me. I already told you this would be a solo project, so why is that even relevant? If you wanted to vent, just be honest and say that's what you're doing rather than pretend you're giving advice.

It's not projection when I've read your wall of ideas a million times already with amateurs I've been professionally hired to work with in the past. You're a beginner. You admit that. Now be humble, and take what's given to you, and process it.

Feel free to create. But direct your focus into making something productive that can build off the skills you're GOOD at. And if you're not, then be humble, and LEARN those skills.

Art, Programming, Game Design. I advice game design, with a side of programming, and leave the art 100% to another guy. Alternatively, Art with a side of Game design, and hire a programmer. But Programming and Game Design go so hand in hand, you can't help but learn the other while building up the first if you're making games.

Your game won't be good on aesthetic alone, if you've got no eye for aesthetic. That's absurd. You're either going full dunning kruger, or asking someone else to make your game for you based off your grand idea. Both of which are stupid.

Learn a skillset, and make a game that works off your own strengths.

the very hardest part of developing a game is deciding on a color palette

I don't, I'm just reading your posts, I'm not even exaggerating you sound like you have aspergers, like what the fuck are you even talking about, part of the problem is people made you think your rambling made you a "good writer" though so you're also full of yourself

I'm sure those are bigger than Ds
I am so happy with myself

I'm actually confused by you.
What posts do you think are mine?

I've barely made any. These dudes are fucking madness with how much they've put up.

are there two KS writers in this thread?

I'm at the point where I realized I can't art so I'm looking for artists. It's pretty fun but weird since I have high expectations but I can't do any of it myself.

Yeah, Theif didn't go around saying that it's their aesthetic that would make people wanna play their game. Dumbass.

Feel free to call me a poser again though faggot. If your game is not gonna be aesthetic as fuck, then it better damn well have top tier fucking gameplay. Otherwise, pipe down and find a good artist, cause your lame cliche idea is dead in the water without one.

No. Learn to do real 3d first.

Attached: 1486741901877.jpg (1920x1080, 411K)

I get 30 minutes for lunch. I usually eat at my desk.
Shit bro I don't know how you do 12 hours a day. I can barely stand a 9 to 5. But when I do the same shit at work that I'd be doing at home, it is real fucking hard to stay motivated.

Attached: 1558536314270.jpg (1300x960, 92K)

Maybe me, and a fucking psycopath. This is why the real writers barely ever come here. Fuck.

Anyone

your posts are barely coherent
you actually sound like you have schizophrenia, but you're just trying to sound cool

Yes.

All day until you go to bed. I'm telling you that right now in all honesty. This is where you choose to do it for yourself, or for others.

whats a "simple game"
you can make tetris or space invaders in one day
if you want to make a game people would want to play, try years

To be honest the thing that really made UV-ing so much more easier for me is actually understanding consistent Texel scale, good use of seams, pinning, and a few other small unwrapping techniques for other situations. Just watch videos or streams of other people doing it, doesn't take long to pick up you just have to know what tools you have at your disposal.

and you are?

I'm the artfag ITT.

My advice. Don't cheap out. Find a GOOD artist, someone with a proven track record of sorts, and a portfolio that shows they've worked in games before. Or are at least good enough to get hired for games. Pitch them your idea, give them a rundown of what you want, negotiate a price, and let them cut loose. They'll not only love you for it, but you'll get a lot of great shit, and even free shit if they get inspired.

One thing you should look for in their portfolio btw, is a variety of ideas. Different styles, different subject matters, etc... It shows a broad range of taste. Like, even if you're looking for someone who's really good at anime style, make sure they don't ONLY do anime style, trust me.

Also, I'm not shilling myself. Not currently available for hire.

Where to look, Artstation, Deviant Art, /ic/ (kinda), tumblr, and instagram are all good choices. Pixiv too if you know Japanese.

I don't think I'm a good artist. I know how to make things pleasing to me though, because it's usually just simple shapes and colors and that's all it takes. A lot of art people would write off as childish is just as appealing to me as very skilled art because I suppose my tastes are different. When I say I can recreate the latter without much difficulty, that's not saying I'm good at art. And really, I know I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Tons of RPG Maker games have art which is technically unimpressive, but works very well due to minimalism and nice choice of color. That stuff isn't hard to do. I'm not saying my game would be solely on that level, you know, but it's not a terrible idea to borrow from it. When it takes certain games like Owlboy many years to achieve the style they have in mind, but it's just as pleasing to me as the other, very simple games, why shoot for the former? I'm not trolling, I hope you see what I'm getting at.

>My advice. Don't cheap out. Find a GOOD artist
you're telling this to broke college students doing this as a hobby
that's out of their price range

>Theif didn't go around saying that it's their aesthetic that would make people wanna play their game. Dumbass.
I'm not the "aesthetics" guy buy I'd say 50% of the draw of Thief is the overall aesthetic, the level design and gameplay are great but they weren't some bigbrain master plan, they actually suffered a lot from lack of design direction and the gameplay was only set in store very late into development, it was mostly an action game before.

Just find some good basic tutorials to follow along with initially and stick with it, just make simple things, but finish them.

The fundamental techniques of 3D modelling are extremely basic, the initial hurdle is just learning the tools/interface, but once you're over it you'll find you can start to do a LOT with just a little experience and knowledge.

From having never touched a 3D package in your life you could be making stuff like...

...within literal days, the "art" aspect, ergo colour, shape, composition etc might not be as good, but you'd have all the basic tools under your belt to start making little scenes.

i spent months just working on inventory and procedural item generation

granted it took a long time because i had to decide on a wire format to send the inventory to clients and for clients to send inventory-related commands to the server, and i had to sort out prediction, and i had to remove the inventory system that was already in place (bit flags for "is this weapon in the inventory?") but yeah

it's all so tiresome

>50% of the draw of Thief is the overall aesthetic
it looks like fucking garbage you dunce
the draw of thief is the good gameplay
and it's atmospheric yes, but it looks like shit

I'm going to make dota 2 go-karts and you can't stop me

Here's a gavial I made for my game a while ago. Nothing extraordinary and the texture is a bit sloppy, but as a quick model I think the result is still kinda cute.

Attached: gavial.png (1122x831, 163K)

It's not like you have an alternative. At least for free.

Top-speed madman.

I guess what I tried to ask is how long does it take for someone to understand the tools needed to get started on a basic to intermediate level. Coding/programming etc but from the looks of it dont seem mandatory. Im not sure exactly

are you the lowpoly bro who posts gifs of his models rotating? i love this stuff

Only thing any indie game dev should shill out for is music and sound design
You can try selling a game on visuals but it's an uphill battle. Music gives more of a draw- people find the soundtracks and look into the game. It sets the tone far more immediately than grand visuals can.
It's the most bang for your buck if done right.

You are confusing aesthetic with graphics which aren't directly related, aesthetic is the feeling that a piece of art evokes, "art" being everything involving a game including graphics, audio and interactivity.

Also I should note that graphics are the least important part of aesthetics, you can make very moody games with the most basic of graphics as long as you deliver in other aspects.

you're really bending the definition of aesthetics by adding "interactivity" onto that

blender is now virtually the industry standard so there's no reason not to go for it other than its DOG SHIT INTERFACE prior to 2.8

Then save up for it, or do the art yourself. Don't get an amateur. Doing the art yourself has the added benefit of your LEARNING something as you go along.

You're gonna thoroughly regret getting amateur from /ic/ if that's what you're planning.

Just to give you a rough idea of what to expect. I charge 300USD -500USD per character design, and that's the turnaround, design phase, expressions. Pixel Art, Animations, in game assets, etc... I price separately. I'm willing to negotiate on that though if it guarantees a fulltime project.

Oftentimes if it nets me just over 1000 a month with enough time for another project, and free personal time, I'm fine with it. So expect to drop anywhere between 3k - 10k on your game depending on how much art you need. And I'm lowballing it here. But you can find artists for as cheap as I'm saying.

It depends on your talent. Getting out of the seam means having a talent elsewhere. My father has a masters in government administration, but he ended up working as Sierra for years in the top tier. It can all go to crap in the end.

Thing is, you can't blame the climb-out. He was just looking out for his own. Sierra was a great company and well, do you want a copy of 1995 Oregon Trail? So many fucking sendbacks.

Retarded question here but whats stopping someone from working on old engines from previous engines...if possible? Ive always had this idea tools from 00s would be easier to use since theyve been mastered unless nothings change since

Well how long would it take a dev to learn how to draw? Im not saying perfect drawings but basic shit such as being able to transfer whats in mind on paper

>muh vaporeon oc

I pay 5 times that for "good" artists

I'm not, if you don't take ludology (an art btw) into account then you are barely making a game.

I normally work a solid 16, longer if there's something I really want to get done because lolnolifeoutsideofwork and there's nothing else i'd rather be doing.

And for whatever reason I've never really had any problems with motivation, there's barely any disconnect between what I do for work or personally so work seems to motivate my personal stuff and vice versa. It's just a constant back and forth and my personal work has improved dramatically from production experience and my professional work improves dramatically from the more creative stuff I learn in my spare time.

So in other words to get started youd have to be good something already? How screwd is someone with no skills should they bother or is it something for younger people

new engines are actually easier to use. that's mostly what game engines are about, not better graphics neccessarily
if you want to produce video game graphics I don't suggest learning to draw, learn to 3D model or do pixel art or photobash or whatever

Meh.

I don't agree with you, but I don't fully disagree either.

If you're on a supertight budget, then yeah. But if you want your game to stand out amid the sea of other indie games, then you need to craft an aesthetic that stands out, or at the very least, original waifus for your game. The latter has the exact same effect as what you mentioned, except it spreads faster, since people are more willing to click on an image, and save it, and then share it, that share music of some indie game. Images are way more viral than music.

On that note, how much do musicians cost, cause despite what I just said, I do agree 100% that music is super important for a game. At least, that's how I personally feel.

>ludology (an art btw)
i hope you're trolling

>impartial professional artist impartially insists that you need to commission professional artists to have a viable game

Was working on something with someone else but they ended the project, was kind of in a bad mod about it. I've been slowly working on my own thing with this fire guy model that'd play like megaman legends. Although a whole project solo is ass I liked being able to feed off other people's energy to make something bigger but I guess I can't make it work. Dev has been slow though but I still am trying.

Attached: wip8.png (512x512, 1M)

I guess I'm not going to get a response to this.

That is also an art.

my motivation quickly withers away if i'm not listening to GDC postmortems

Post some of the work you've been given. Because it might be time to bump up my prices again.

I'm actually getting more requests than I can handle atm, and I get the feeling my pricing might be a good reason why. I sure as hell wouldn't mind working less for more money.

You clearly never made a game if you think graphics or audio are even close to the most important aspects of game development, it's all about evoking feels through gameplay, the feel can be as simply as "fun" or more complex moody stuff like Looking Glass Studios is known for.

Thanks for the quick info and not calling me an idiot. I never knew but it makes sense seeing as how making things easier for later would be the goal for software tools. Wouldnt you need to have an understanding of how to draw on paper first before 3d or can you jump ship to modeling and not know drawing basics

>new engines are actually easier to use
not necessarily. i find each iteration of UE harder to use. too much shit, too much taxonomy, and much too crappy documentation.

hahahahahaha, what the fuck is that thing?

You might not know what skills you have.
Break it till you make it.

I was at a freight firm about three months ago and noticed a bunch of GPUs on one board. I said "hey, what are you guys doing with that?"

They offered me a job on the spot. Naw, just a bunch of idiots wandering around. Clever my ass.

Attached: Render_01.png (1122x666, 345K)

Very qt PS1 style models.

>I was at a freight firm about three months ago and noticed a bunch of GPUs on one board. I said "hey, what are you guys doing with that?"
>They offered me a job on the spot.
what

I'm only doing gameplay programming and I don't really care for anything else. But if I want to be in a team do I have to be capable more than that?

How do you pitch it? Let's say I have written descriptions of what I want but no drawn concept because like I said, I can't draw. I saw one artist that looked good but I'm also worried they'll go for a really high price or something.

It's a matter of how much you wanna stand out, and what type of game you're making. You can buy assets too. But then listen to the music guy, and pay for a musician.

If you're making an RPG, a Fighting Game... or anything reliant on good visuals, then you 100% need a good artist on board. Especially for a fighting game.

I wanna say RTS too, but that's my CnC bias kicking in. And I'd say RTS also needs a good OST. Fightan too in fact.

i love this stupid show i used to watch it with my sister all the time

Attached: 1554684526361.jpg (557x605, 49K)

The artfag has gone mental, just let him tire himself out.

Why not post a throwaway or anything to contact you, someone could be interested. Cute model

is it shilling when no one has posted what their game is?

looks like its just a discussion about dev to me

They were mining bitcoin for sure. I didn't want to tell their boss but they looked super-nervous. It seems only right to tell him that's what they're doing but, yeah I don't know. They're incredibly dumb and I couldn't believe it was out in the open like that.

I mean I think you are overselling yourself or undercharging if you're saying you're a good artist and you're making 1000 a month and 10k for an entire game, artists I know were charging 30-50k for 6-month match three games and that was back in 2007
I don't have anything to post, I haven't hired anyone in a long time

you're only 500 posts late

Find reference for them. Other artwork, and especially irl stuff. Like actors, models, etc...

You can also say. I want this kinda vibe, and give examples.

Write up some story bits that get the imagination going if you can, or even provide music that sets the mood. You basically wanna inspire them, and these are the things that inspire me.

>spend a year working every day non stop for a project for minimum wage
>one day suddenly get told they are putting me on "hiatus"
I need to learn to make my own games.

Attached: 1520067079949.jpg (604x604, 53K)

i paid 6$ for about 140 pieces of pixel art

Attached: 1556259195632.jpg (210x240, 10K)

I tried before but the only response I got from the threads was "I think you're too skilled for what I'm doing, sorry." I'm still around if people consider it I guess. I'm mostly an artist but I can program (somewhat)
twitter.com/FridgeDraws

Attached: mushroomcFLARGE.png (256x256, 7K)

>Wouldnt you need to have an understanding of how to draw on paper first before 3d or can you jump ship to modeling and not know drawing basics
Kind of yes and kind of no. I grew up being just "ok" at art but I can produce sellable game assets for my own games because I'm quite practised in making game art. I wouldn't actually do any hand-drawings for my game and would hire someone if I needed to do that. It teaches you fundamentals sure but so does all art and being able to draw well with a pencil really doesn't translate that well over to making any game art, they're skills in of themselves

Nope, not that guy whoever that is. I don't usually post my art here because 3D isn't really my main thing, I just make them for my games when I have to. Here's a chonky pangolin I also made. The texture for this one was a nightmare since I had to place every single scale manually and in the right order to avoid wrong overlap so it would fit properly with the model.

Attached: pangolin.png (645x831, 181K)

was it good?

I'm the artfag, this is not me. You're getting confused.

No, not an entire game. But I'm currently working on a 25 page manga for a client for 1000USD. I know for sure I undercharged on that one, as I took it up when I was desperate for money as I'd just moved to Japan, so I took a shitton of commissions for a lower price. But thinking back to old projects I worked on. I basically did charge like 300-500 per character. Granted I do this freelance and part time, for extra cash, as I'm mostly pushing out my own projects and I've got a fulltime job here in Nippon anyway.

After this one is done, I'm gonna close commissions and work on my own stuff again. But something to keep in mind, if I take something up again in the future, I'm gonna charge a lot more.

How easy would it be to get in contact with you on there? Are you willing to give something a shot if something is on hand already? I take it from that comment that it ould it be a matter of price for you or whether the project is good enough?

Good thread boys, goodnight and see ya tomorrow

>make a good game
>it sells like shit because no marketing budget
what's the point of making video games as a poor indie dev?

Or else that was the fucking worst GPU setup I've ever fucking seen. Why the fuck was it like that? Their IT guy can't be that stupid. They had multiple GPUs running that I could basically breathe on and if that's what they're running their transit on? No fucking way. That's gotta be a small mining system or else their operation is worse than I thought. I get payed to do way better.

I think you can send me a message directly it should be open but I'm also on discord if you'd prefer. Fridge#5306

it's like poop with legs

how much you charge depends on how good you are obviously
Professional art contractors with regular work will make over 100k a year at the standard of "serious work" and not college kids scraping money together to attempt their dream project

yeah although i still have to cut it to size myself and such
but i can make edits with it
marketing is free too
all you need is twitter or instagram or youtube

At least someone had a good time.

Attached: q.jpg (960x540, 60K)

Are you going to post a way to get to you outside of here or your portfolio? Any way youd give an user a break if hes not a faggot idea guy and has something?

The texture is way too noisy, it's impossible to tell what it is from the thumbnail.

>try not to fall into an overly ambitious project
>"i know, ill make a simple top fown boss rush game!"
>design document ends up listing 100 bosses
Mind you, 90 of them are basically 1 phase cannon fodder, but still...

Attached: 1559427361928.jpg (475x448, 38K)

>>make a good game
>>it sells like shit because no marketing budget
It probably wasn't a good game

I made the thread :^)

Attached: glare.jpg (900x900, 74K)

jelly as fuck

i wish i was in nippon or at least made money from my game...

mommy

Yeah, that's kinda the catch 22. I mostly deal with amateurs trying to get off the ground, as I wanna make a living off of my own creative work, so I haven't gone fully in on working for an art contractor, or a pro studio. It's like, whenever I run low on cash, I turn to commissions, even though I don't particularly like doing them if I'm honest. Now that I'm in Japan, I'm good for money again, so I won't really need to turn to commissions anymore, so I guess it's just a matter of seeing where things go from here. But I'm 100% upping my prices from here on out.

>300-500 per character

That's why people go with pixel art. I'm not even a poor college kid but what I'm making is a proof of concept with at least 4 characters.