How do you even enjoy RTS games? Legitimate question

How do you even enjoy RTS games? Legitimate question

Attached: 488425-age-of-empires-ii-the-age-of-kings-windows-other.jpg (800x790, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i00s--GdIzE
moddb.com/mods/star-wars-galactic-battlegrounds-expanding-fronts
youtube.com/watch?v=4vB5_w5vRdE
youtube.com/watch?v=leU4lyVFCD0
youtu.be/iNu9cW6ruUM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

breaking the mechanics in creative ways

age of what?

Attached: images (29).jpg (200x240, 15K)

If you didn't play it on release, you won't enjoy it. Get over it and go play Fortnite.

watch meta video, do meta thing. win.

How do you even enjoy the genres that you enjoy?

>zoomer detected

HD remaster fucking WHEN???

fuck hd remasters. seriously, what does it add, some nicer water effects and textures, as if the game wasn't enjoyable enough without them. i prefer to play a game exactly as it was when it was released. as long as it's still playable online.

Honestly my enjoyment always came out of the custom scenarios that people would host
like for , there was podracing, or city life
loved that shit

I'm playing GB now and enjoy it way more than AoE2. I never could get into AoE, whenever I tried I always was thinking that I could be playing Stronghold instead, but this has feel different enough.
Every race has it's own campaign and there are 8 factions with expansion. Wookies, Gungans, Royal Naboo, Trade Federation, Rebel Alliance, Galactic Empire, from expansion Republic Clone Army and CIS. And that Expanded Fronts mod adds even more content. Zann Consortium and Geonosians, more planets and units and other stuff. Editor is cool too. Campaigns are cheesy but enjoyable nonetheless
youtube.com/watch?v=i00s--GdIzE
moddb.com/mods/star-wars-galactic-battlegrounds-expanding-fronts

Attached: GB.jpg (634x554, 45K)

at least once a month i boot up settlers 2 and have a match against the AI
there's something about watching the little guys run back and forth that keeps me enchanted with the game like no other can

Attached: 1540896372400.png (558x329, 218K)

Once upon a time, they used to have fun campaigns you could play through that gave them value as a single-player game, which, if you enjoyed, you could then go online and play against other players.
Ensemble, Westwood, and Blizzard used to be really good at that, but of course there were many others.

patrician
I play it with RttR myself for that scrolling/speedup/resolution

Attached: TS2HE_donkey.jpg (1920x1080, 570K)

Played Galactic Battlegrounds when I was a kid a fair bit. Might give it another go. I see you play DoW2. Would you recommend it from a purely single player point of view?

I enjoy the strategic aspect of them, unfortunately often when people play these games they quickly get into a mental state of trying to optimise things as fast as possible rather than focusing on your strategies/tactics which is the fun part.
Winning a game of starcraft 2 because you gookclicked your build order more efficiently than you opponent isn't very fun. Winning a game of starcraft because you manoeuvre your army to pincer attack his bitch terran army's ass is really fun, even though a pincer attack is like, one of the most simple tactics ever.
Winning a game of aoe2 because you perfectly micromanaged in the dark age, luring all the deer to your TC and stealing the enemies boar with your scout and then die a feudal rush isn't that fun. Winning a game of aoe2 because you did a surprise allahua ackbar petard attack on his castle with petards and assassinated his king with cavalry archers is fun.

agree with this guy, this also extends to single player. It's a million times more fun to come up with a batshit way to win a mission than just follow a guide to the T.
Biggest example is probably Awakening of Stormrage hard mode, I've seen the zaniest strategies to win that clusterfuck mission.

DoW2 is very different to DoW1. It's rtt game and I enjoyed campaign. I have nostalgia bias to both 2 and 1 though, since due to weird course of events both Dark Crusade and DoW2 were my first Warhammer games at once, even though I played DoW 2 years later.

I liked characters and fucking around with their builds, and fighting itself has nice feeling. I also went completely and utterly blind into it first time playing so stuff like enemies I will face and lore itself surprised me since I didn't know shit about Warhammer universe. Main problem is DoW 2 is quite repetitive. Most of the time you slaughter your way on those same maps from one point to another and kill boss here. It's kinda like Diablo rtt. Chaos Rising changes that and is peak DoW2 campaign. Each missions is unique and interesting. Corruption and traitor mechanic are fun as well and new hero is really satisfying to use. Problem is that it is too short so you can barely use Librarian and fuck around with corruption mechanic. Also your heroes get really broken with their abilities here. Retribution campaign sucks. Even though that in theory each race has it's own campaign in truth it's one campaign you play with different heroes that always goes exactly this same and often is really unconvincing when playing as anyone else than Space Marines who were meant to play. I'd prefer one good Blood Ravens campaign that six shit ones. It greatly simplified development of heroes, which wasn't that massive anyway, but allowed to take generic units which I don't think was a good idea. It felt wrong and lackluster without DoW1 base building and leveling heroes wasn't fun anymore since there were barely any skills and items to get. I wish that DoW2 in general had more characters and skills, and like 6-8 heroes controllable in campaign instead of 4 but I replayed series recently since DoW1 to Retribution omitting only Soulstorm campaign and it was all fun anyway.

It also doesn't cost much on sale too.

Attached: 20181003154800_1.jpg (1920x1080, 528K)

Same. RTS games are by far the most fun experiences when you play them with people who know what units do and have a general understanding about good strategies, but haven’t yet perfected macro and can’t win just by doing super-efficient build orders. That allows room for all kinds of surprise strategies and weird yet efficient ideas which is always fun.

But if you add a macro master to the equation, it all just falls apart because nothing you can do can ever compete with perfected build orders combined with optimal rushes. For example, it is well known that you can get very high up ranks just by training your macro, because it allows you to win anybody worse at macro just by sheer numbers. Micro only comes important at the point where everyone else can also macro well.

I played quite a bit of Warcraft II and Starcraft when I was a kid but I must admit that I was never a huge fan of the genre. When I play games I prefer to focus my attention in a single location instead of having to micromanage shit all over the map. I think I'd prefer an RTS game which would be more like IRL strategy, where you give big picture orders to your units and let them deal with the details. "Protect this flank, attack through here, increase production of unit X etc...".

Overall the RTS-like game I most enjoyed was Ground Control. Not having to maintain a base meant that I could focus on the units. Commandos was great too.

But those situations happen in high level games too, the difference is that they're doing this while doing all the other things. Weird gamestates happen sometimes and you end up going "uuuh, what the fuck is happening?"

But there's always going to be 1 fundamental thing that underlays the whole game, and in games like AoE it's having your macro down, building workers constantly, good placement of farms, mills, lumber camps, tcs, etc.

Singleplayer only so you can use pause

>But those situations happen in high level games too
youtube.com/watch?v=4vB5_w5vRdE
Yeah he's a clip of pro aoe2 player TheViper getting his king sniped, what a noob

Exactly, and IIRC TheViper is still kind of the undisputed best AoE2 player, the issue is that relying on big "Gotcha!" moments is unreliable and as such shouldn't be a part of your bread and butter strategy. They're good for throwing in, but learn to be standard.

I agree

Attached: 1528825568779.jpg (699x400, 64K)

Just run through the campaign. Maybe play vs bots and have fun with broken builds.

>tfw I like being comfy and building my town and imagining a society of people by placing buildings and farms in logical places
>tfw I'm fucking dogshit at the RTS part who can't into rushing, micro, etc and don't find it particularly fun in the first place
>tfw online games is populated by hypercompetetive spergs who will wreck your shit if you don't have a +300 APM

Attached: livingTheDream.jpg (960x720, 94K)

If AoE2 had more city building it'd be max comfy. Road building should have been a thing.

Oh yeah I didn't expect you wouldn't, I'm just sorta rambling mostly for the benefit of people who talk about RTS games and what they want them to be, but also mostly seem to want games to be about getting that "gotcha!" moment.

PvP in RTS is too stressful for me as there's too much to keep track of. But I always love the campaigns in these since I can take my time and build complete bases.

>playing RTS like city builders
Why don't you retarded fucks just fuck off to the appropriate genre?

Attached: 1546851127602.jpg (640x480, 30K)

one does not negate the other, in fact the way the game is played leads to those moments happening
>scouting the enemy, see that he built an archery range
>make like 4 skirmishers
>now you're ahead of them in eco because they wasted gold on archers while you're going to castle age faster
AoE2's skill floor and ceiling are really high and the game is amazing

one of my favorite things is when I'm losing a game but manage to get some ~8 cav archers inside the enemy base and absolutely destroy their economy

>counter attacking the enemy even as he is destroying you
I see you are a man of culture user

I don't know why but when I get those assholes inside his base and kill 1~2 villagers, poof, the enemy panics completely and starts playing like a 10 year old

remember kids, always build tons of palisades to avoid cav archer shenanigans

honestly I spent 99% of the time in scenario editor
played random maps maybe 5 times ever

What are some decent city builders then?

Attached: swoligi.jpg (320x320, 20K)

Yea people tend to instinctively try to only do one thing at a time in RTS, multitasking is too challenging. Attacking them in just 2 different locations makes them fall to pieces (what!? I can't solve this problem by moving 100% of my military units to a single location!!?). Puny humans.

I want the competitive aspect of an economic win, with the flip the board and conquer that RTS offers.

how did you get past captcha?

meatbags

Attached: 1552385956864.gif (220x172, 246K)

I learned SupCom by playing a cheesy strategy on a small, 2-sides, 1v1.

––

Really, the gameplay is so much more APM, strategy, and sandbox than MOBAs …

Attached: SupCom FAF - (Casts' POV) MM - Engie Harassment Completed.webm (640x360, 2.64M)

Attached: SupCom FAF - (Casts' POV) Interceptors.webm (640x360, 1.62M)

>"It's simple."
>"We handicap economy rates of the Batman."

Well that is what Ra's Al Ghul tried the first time.

I really enjoyed laddering in Starcraft 2

>unironically creating petards

Attached: 1538687014797.png (646x751, 507K)

petards do have 1 competitive use: sneaking a hole in the enemy's stone wall instantly without warning
don't try to be a smartass if you're not one already

WE

They have some uses.
There was a pro game recently where the two players accidentally placed their castles next to each other. Both went fot petards immediately.

>unironically creating pe-

Attached: 1545915744323.jpg (522x600, 71K)

>without warning
is that before or after your opponent wakes up from seeing the suspicious red dot approaching their base on the minimap, or ceasing having the stroke in which he decided not to build multiple wall layers?

Attached: petard this.jpg (1920x1080, 1.1M)

It happens though. Happens to the best of us.

very cheeky

Absolute patrician but I was prefer serf city and settlers 3/4 for some reason

what exactly is preventing a single ram from tearing all this down?

This was why I liked Dawn of War 1

Yea Forums pass

you have to get autistically good, just like in fighting games. and as some say, pulling off winning strategies... but then again you have to be a good at the game to pull them off without your opponent reacting to them.

Joke's on you I'm playing as Ethiopians and have Siege Rams and Torsion Engines researched.

Attached: 32141.jpg (500x709, 68K)

I feel this way about turn based strategy.

Literally only wc3 had a good campaign. And later company of heroes. Everything else was filler shit.

>Legitimate question
I don't believe you.

1. Invite your bro or homie over with his desktop or laptop.
2. Get soda pop or alcohol
3. Order a pizza or a nice cheesy, spicy kebab wrap.
4. Play the game.
5. Enjoy
I'm not an Amerifat, trust me.

Same way you enjoy being an actual politician and conqueror. It's blissful to put your plans in motion and see them unfold with great success.

HD remasters are easier to shill to your friends and remasters almost certainly have a functional multiplayer.

>RA2
>SC and BW
>bad campaigns

Attached: brainsmort.jpg (961x1140, 106K)

yeah i just wish in a way that they'd leave the game the way it looked on release. like i looked at the age of empires remaster, and i'm just like, what does that enhanced water effect add? it gave the impression of water the first time around, and the way it did it was interesting and indicative of the tech of the time. same with textures.

imo the only thing a remaster should do is iron out any bugs.

Yes. cool self portrait

>AoEHD coming to Steam
Can it be redeemed?

Attached: 1557706506526.jpg (646x284, 89K)

AoE2 on paper = build a grand city to build your massive army to fight to the death
AoE2 in reality = rush the enemy to win

I realized that I don't actually like the base building in rts games but the act of defense. Trying to keep a crumbling defense together or attempting to turn around a losing battle is where I have the most fun.
Are there any games that focus on that focus on this element?

Attached: 1503340447025.gif (370x232, 1.89M)

I honestly am having trouble seeing how someone couldn't enjoy it, honestly.
It's the perfect fusion of the macro and micro gameplay styles that 4X and MOBA games both split off to do.
Seeing a single building and a couple workers grow to a small city with your direct instruction in real-time over the course of an hour, and waging large-scale battles with unit weaknesses/strengths is bliss.
I still play AoE2 to this day. It's a perfect game.

nah
it's just not AoE2

I think it's the multitasking aspect which can be daunting
At later stage of the game, you kinda wanna order your troops around, but you keep have to toggle back to your economy to refresh farms, relocate your miners if a stack runs out etc.
I really like watching AoE matches though, guilty pleasure of mine

>play skirmish starting from the Stone Age and going all the way to the Nano Age
>create an army of robots
>there also a few cavemen who survived from the beginning in my high tech army
>decide to attack my enemies
>they are all stuck in the medieval age
>lazer the shit out of their shitty buildings made of wood and stone and reign supreme

Attached: Empire-Earth-1-Descargar-MEGA-PC-Full-ISO-1-Link-Espanol-bajarjuegospcgratis.jpg (496x640, 155K)

Im too low IQ to play AoE2 even against the AI on normal so I just watch people playing it on youtube, theres channel dedicated to that that usually shows up on my recommended so I watch them whenever I have nothing else to do.

dumb twitchkiddie

I wish there was a way to autist proof these kind of games. Really sucks how to play them online you have to be an efficiency fag in order to compete at all

>complains about an unit not being used/having no need competitive play
>puts as an example of why a counterstrategy that's not relevant to the strategy itself (being spotted, like that wills top the raid without micro) and another one that doesn't happen in most competitive play (wallspam)
what did he mean by this?

>microlets
Why don't you fags just play turn-based games if performing things quickly causes you so much pain?
Micro is what makes RTS games fun, it's a unique skill unlike anything else in other vidya genres. It's cool as fuck to watch too
youtube.com/watch?v=leU4lyVFCD0

strategy happens when the macro/micro of the players is on similar levels tho, that's the thing. that's why high-level play (at least in AoE2) has so much back and forth, because those people have mostly the same level and it all comes down to their choices in the game. I don't think that that's something you can blame on the game as much as on the ladder system not being accurate enough to measure those things

based and boomerpilled

youtu.be/iNu9cW6ruUM
Like this.

Attached: cm__himiko_toga_by_superspoe_dbq26i0-pre_1.jpg (670x512, 79K)

Nani?The game becomes a mess if you let everyone build an army and city and lasts over 3 hours.

I actually had to learn how to play because my friends were dumb autists who wouldn't fucking surrender and would just keep building new cities and armies. This would make games last like 4 hours.

jesus where the fuck did you exhume this video from? the fucking recommended videos list?

Attached: 1553023252076.jpg (750x692, 261K)

>Be born with autism
>Learn the right order to click the buttons in
>Grind
There, it's really that simple.

youtubers are cancer, how can anyone listen to this unfunny garbage

Attached: 1506843561281.jpg (370x388, 35K)

Well first off why do you feel like you're not into it?

Attached: 4jyqFFyLzMBQS9E73h6q9j-970-80.jpg (565x341, 197K)

Conan unconquered
They are billions

cossacks 3 is kino

Agreed. People that play these games super competitively miss the point. They're so deep into autism they can't fathom not playing the absolute most efficient way every game.