For all the arguing over what gen is better...

for all the arguing over what gen is better, has the gameplay gotten worse etc can we all agree that the modern pokemon art style is fucking garbage? Why in fuck do they have a style make Pokemon all look like stupid plastic fucking toys?

Attached: 1559637379269.jpg (1024x870, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/creator-profile-the-creators-of-pikachu/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because Pokemon makes most of its $$$ from merchandising. As such the modern designs are more marketable and easier to reproduce.
Not sure why this is a surprise.

clever

Attached: 1527701051314.jpg (919x960, 195K)

been that way since gen 2 my dude, 20 years or so

the 'new' pidgey is kind of cute.

The artstyle is indeed the factor to blame for the new designs.

As pointed, it's to make them more toy-like. Merchandise is the main source of income of all great franchises. This change took place when TCPi was stablished to organize the Pokémon merchandise during the development of Gen III

I came here ready to shit on nu Pokemon but that image is pretty cool and made me appreciate both styles.

Soul souless

I prefered heart heartless

Everything on the left half looks good. Everything on the right half looks like ass. Also, the gameplay gets better each game.

Worst part about this is their Crabrawler redesign. It's like they didn't even realize that the horns were supposed to look like a delinquent's Pompadour.

>artstyle of a decades old series hasn't always been consistent and changed over the years

Attached: 1500914971245.png (500x500, 164K)

>Why in fuck do they have a style make Pokemon all look like stupid plastic fucking toys?
so they can be easier to mass produce and sell as plastic toys

Attached: 31495623352abgr.png (1051x1654, 617K)

for all the arguing over what gen is better, has the gameplay gotten worse etc can we all agree that everyone who cares about Pokemon is either too underage to be posting on Yea Forums or terminally autistic? Why in fuck do you keep shitposting about this garbage when there's an entire containment board for subhumans like you?

Old good new bad
If Krabby was gen 7 you would hate it

Krabby is very well designed though. Crabrawler is a literal mcdonalds toy.

>old
Soul but heartless
>new
Heart but soulless

Old was much better

literal npc

Horsea existing automatically makes the picture pointless. And gen 2 is not "modern" you fucking retard.

Attached: pika.png (598x408, 38K)

You're not wrong about Crabrawler, but Krabby is just a literal crab. How is that well designed?

Attached: 1483185775223.png (1785x243, 397K)

>that fucking crabrawler
Soul on the left, soulless on the right.

Ken Sugimori's style has changed over time.
His art has become more "moe" not just for Pokémon, but especially human characters.

Back in the 90s, Ken drew more detailed Pokémon, while his humans looked like garbage. Over the years he started to "streamline" his art style to make it easier and more appealing not only with human characters, but Pokémon as well. Since Game Freak is pumping out a new Gen every 2 years, there's a lot less time to devote on making more detailed Pokémon designs unlike in Gen 1 where it was more or less a passion project.

There's also the fact that Ken Sugimori isn't the only Pokémon designer anymore, he's mostly only the lead illustrator now as far as my memory serves. So a design that all the Pokémon designers can easily replicate and design Pokémon in, is very important. You achieve this by simplifying as much as possible, because any sort of detail will be handled and drawn differently by different artists. It also helps that the simplified designs make it easier to model and animate Pokémon in 3D, which is really important when you have a game that has more monsters than literally any other game in existence.

Overall, the simplified art was not only a result of Ken Sugimori's art style changing, but also necessary as more Pokémon were created. It helps making the process of designing and everything else easy and fast, which you'll need to when you don't have much time to design more than 100 creatures with a year, each of which will have 5~10 concept designs, if not more if they're all rejected.

Attached: kensugimori.png (900x662, 195K)

>why do water animals have flippers instead of paws

It's chibi, kids love cuter designs, it's easier to draw, easy to make and sell toys

>kids love cuter designs
bullshit, as a kid I loved terrifying monsters, I remember watching Digimon and loving venommyotismon or machinedramon.

Attached: 1527149950994.jpg (600x778, 146K)

The "realistic" versions of the new Pokemon look like absolute trash.

Human design with Pokemon peaked with LGFR. Best mix of a more modern anime style with classic 90s pokemon art and colouring.

Attached: kisspng-pokmon-firered-and-leafgreen-pokmon-red-and-bl-star-wars-helmet-5b225b35cffe75.3099530215289 (900x740, 123K)

Because after how shit mons and player characters tended to look in anything that wasn't the TCG or anime, they went for more streamlined line work and focus on motifs and utilizing IRL concepts to give Pokemon designs more of an identity than "Other RPGs' table scraps."

what ever happened to 4

Pokemon design peaked in the 1830s when Hokusai was lead designer, fact.

Attached: ZKWlV.jpg (1600x1015, 720K)

>Missing the point THAT hard
It's a pampered asshole of a Russian Blue complete their fat ruff. I swear new Pokemon designs are literal brainlet tests these days.

Never underestimate total newfags. One of the prices Yea Forums pays for its openness is eternal entryism.

Gen 4 was kind of a mistake

Right looks better.

As ever, it was Gen III where the problems began. And I loved Gen III. It's always one generation before things start to get bad, and four before they are bad outright, that the problems truly began.

Pokemon were horrendously overdesigned in IV and V to the point they came off almost as a cross between Digimon and Final Fantasy monsters. I feel they sort of whiplashed from that complaint of overdesign to stupidly under-designed toys that we get today.

I agree. I like plenty of the new Pokemon. I don't like how they're drawn.

Go dilate, boomer

Attached: just.png (796x2560, 959K)

Crabs look good.
I like Crabrawler, too, if I had played SM he would have been on my team. But he does look way too plastic.

I disagree with V. I feel like they hit their stride with the motif usage and came up with a Dex that really shows the blending of the natural world, human influence and vice versa via its mons.

I agree with the picture aside from Hitmonlee but that's personal bias because I like the concept

Provide evidence

Chikkun - Chickepick - Chicarmine and Chikiwinkle - Roosteradicator - Nuggbert - Chickbeb - Chickyiff

Give you a clue - it's not "Ken" that's changing

I love this comparison in particular because it highlights that the marketable designs look actually disaesed compared to the soulful ones.

>take Persian
>recolour palette swap
>give him a thyroid tumour
Done!

Ultra beasts aren’t legendary pokemon

Random art like this, even when it's faggoty which is frequent, has substantive thought, perception and effort put into its rendering, conceit and ultimate effect. That's something, not nothing.

Not remotely relevant

This is such a shitty analysis on Pokemon designs to act like there's a difference between new gens and old gens. It's the same shit. Pokemon designs are mad basic, tends to be cute, but can't be too scary looking.

It's almost like there are differing degrees of """"mad basic""", and what may represent a balanced compromise of style and substance at one point is a degeneration at another

Everything on the right looks fucking awful, and fails at what it tries to accomplish
Why do morons who know nothing about character design insist on trying to "improve" designs? This is the same shit as that morons throwing random clothes on the new persona 5 chick and completely ruining her color scheme and silhouette
For fucks sake OP how do you ruin Crabrawler's silhouette and motif that hard, for the sake of "hurrr now it looks like REAL crab"

Cool story, mr.schoolshooter

they were plastic toys from gen fucking one it's just ya'll faggots got your heads so planted up your asses that ya'll pretend that it didn't start from the beginning.

Attached: noffin.png (1253x936, 275K)

Man, those redesigns of the birds on the right are stellar.
I know it'd be extra effort, but - why not do both? Make the mainline series games have the "Old" artstyle as well as darker spinoffs, and have lighter spinoffs (and utilities such as Bank) as well as most of the toy lines have the "New" artstyle. Every Pokemon has two slightly different appearances that appeal to everyone between them and give Nintendo robust options for toymaking.

>There's also the fact that Ken Sugimori isn't the only Pokémon designer anymore,
That has literally never been the case even in first gen, dunno why retards keep thinking it is.

Totodile is a water animal as well, and it literally has the same upper limbs as Pikachu.

Because it's fucking retarded, the "old artstyle" doesn't exist because you can see shit like Poliwag, put it in a new gen and it fits perfectly, making the "differences" argument completely void.

who are you quoting

That "old-style" Crabrawler looks really good

Yes, there's a mixture of artstyles in the earliest generations with pokes like Horsea, Mr. Mime, Poliwag and the like (hence the use of "these"). But that doesn't invalidate the argument, because there's still a distinct difference between the general thrust of those older generations and the vast majority of the newer generations. It doesn't invalidate the existence of older mons like Charizard, Venusaur, Pidgey, Nido-Xes, Gyarados, Graveller, Fearow etc., which had more organic lines which appeal to a lot of people.

The dude that posted this is cherrypicking like crazy. GF had always pushed towards classic cute from the very beginning.

>what may represent a balanced compromise of style and substance at one point is a degeneration at another

Please explain. I have no idea what your talking about. Your not giving me much room to tackle your baseless assertion.

They probably watched that one video essay on "Pokemons Devolving Designs." And came here to spout that shit stain vid claims

>That has literally never been the case even in first gen, dunno why retards keep thinking it is.
You're retarded.
pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/creator-profile-the-creators-of-pikachu/

Attached: chrome_2019-06-04_07-56-16.png (589x677, 116K)

It doesn't invalidate it but it doesn't mean that it was some kind of standard. What is invalid though is you saying "older generations" with a S at the end. Gen 1 is the only one where it applies. Gen 2 is part of this "modern vast majority" you speak of. You don't even need to look deep into the dex, the Sentret, Hoothoot and Ledyba lines prove the point themselves without much issue in searching for proof.

>user says "Sugimori isn't the only designer anymore"
>tell user that that has never been the case
>user: -post proof of what we both said- "you're retarded"
What?

Pokemon as a whole was a mistake and you can't change my mind.

soul vs souless, and souless vs soul
funny, this is probably the first time I've seen really cool fanmade pokes, and it's imitating the art style of the original games (though it's their FRLG artwork, I think)