What went wrong with Blizzard's eSports scene?

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2019-06-04-11-27-45.png (1177x1469, 1.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960
youtube.com/watch?v=vM6UsC-fqxs
youtube.com/watch?v=0Wrw3c2NjeE
youtube.com/watch?v=GQkrJEKB4Jo
gist.github.com/morcefaster/6562b53dbf64b4d8ef2af2ecfe9914c0
youtube.com/watch?v=KwmWx94iJyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is NOT wrong with Blizzard at the moment?

What, don't you guys have phones?

Doomfist and Brigitte ruined the game

>manufactured e-sport isn't fun to watch
WTF

They tried to force it into a game where it kills fun.

Never cater to esports. It’s what killed so many games

Do you not have employees?

They tried to force Overwatch to be this giant competitive league instead of letting it's competitive scene grow organically. And frankly, it just isn't that fun to watch as an e-sport.

>content? we made that character gay, what more content do you want?
also fuck esports and every greasy skinnyfat tranny autismo who “competes”

>Nintendo does not officially condone esports or want to be an esport
>Smash Bros. continues to grow, squashing rivals
>Blizzard makes a game purely to shill it as a competitive esport constantly
>nobody plays it, makes no money

Attached: 1546801383609.gif (268x278, 844K)

I can't fucking wait for Overwatch League to crumble and investor trust in esports meme taking a crippling blow.

eighth post best post

>make Overwatch esports like regular sports
>but sir, our players are nerds, they don't like regular sports
>why do we want to make Overwatch esports attractive to our players? We already have their money. Overwatch esports is an advertisement for everyone who hasn't bought our game yet

>Classic duel tournament was getting more views than all blizzard games combined

Attached: Venruki.jpg (1200x1199, 244K)

They focused too much on making their games into eSports instead of making them fun

Blizzard hired tons when sc2 was growing who wanted to be part of a community and grow it. Acti just want to pull in investors and milk the scene for cash. So people are burning out fast because they know how shallow and disposable it all is once all the VC dries up

doom is fine, brig is a horrible creation of all three roles

>why don't our games that aren't fun to watch not work as esports
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>Get so jelly of valve and riot esports you try to force it
>Nazi regime fucking twitch emojis and general bantz between young adults in a competitive scenario
>Ask said young adults to sell their souls to Blizzard, then wonder why no one else wants to join when they see how you treat them
>Make the more important division, OWL, closed market and come in with a 5M buy in, but you let the first wave of teams in for free because you desperately needed someone to join. And now the second and third waves have to pay full price despite knowing this very public fact
>Make your minor division, OWC, open market but you go out of your way not to advertise or market it unless it's an end of year tournament, and even then send in beta tier everything from casters to analysts
And best of all
>Flood the scene with non stop tournaments between OWC and OWL, all of which have no real impact or benefit

>play a game
>enjoy it
>play it more
>get better
>want to play vs other people who are good
>some retard on Yea Forums gets mad and cringes at you

The price of playing games I guess?

Pretty much this. How Blizzard didn't see this coming is stupid, did they even see how SC evolved into a massive e-sport

>>Nintendo does not officially condone esports or want to be an esport
uh
did you ever see this switch commercial

youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Blizzard is more propaganda than actual gaming competitive scenes, is obvious people will leave overtime if you can 'b yourself', plus blizz games are not fun in the long run.

>Overwatch tournament
>Half of the players blatantly cheat
>Other half of the players are white men who get by on skill alone
>Constantly fine and ban the white men because he hurt my feefees on an unrelated website
>Cheaters get left alone

Attached: 1484966990277.png (372x508, 239K)

Dota wasn't very fun to watch yet it succeeded. The trick is for the game to actually be fun to play.

it wasn’t organic demand, hopefully the bubble bursting doesn’t wipe the whole scene

That's what happens when your head of development is such a cuck he breaks the 2 heroes meant to diversify the fighting meta, and instead keeps it as tracer/genji dive to this very day

good pander to fuckers who don't even play games
just die off already

>white males
>skill

>Dota wasn't very fun to watch yet it succeeded
Dota's strenght is that it is far more fun to watch than any of its competitors. The aversion to spell spam makes it easy even for non-players to recognize when shit is going down early game and late game often revolves around huge CD team fight spells

>sit in windowless dungeon for 14 hours a day playing a game
>if you complain, you’re replaced by a soulless asian that won’t
>low testosterone
I don’t have to be mad to make fun of retards.

Attached: 1A07AC56-18F2-46A5-82CB-86C7BD2C6931.jpg (267x168, 7K)

Attached: 1516607668329.png (584x2188, 178K)

DotA jukes and near misses are still hilarious to watch, though the ceeeeeeeeeeeeb spam is starting to get to me

LAKAD MATATAG

This is their demographic

Attached: abused 2.webm (640x360, 2.51M)

I hope they drop the whole esports shit. It's been nothing but a burden on these games.

Normalin normalin

Competitive scenes can ruin games. Should've focused on making actual content instead of retarded esports.

You should post this whenever someone unironically condones an in-game report system.

inst there a leaked contract which says you must pay an excessive amount of money to be on an OW league?

eSports are inorganic. Plain and simple. Only "popular" because China/Korea/etc invests money into them. "Democracy"-based video games.
Not a single "moba", even WC3 DOTA, was ever popular outside of Oceanic servers. Its a cancerous sub-genre that nobody actually enjoys, but pretends to because of an inorganic competitive scene.

Games with restrictive classes and comp sizes are not viable competitive games. TF2 tried to innovate and nobody wanted to play 9v9 with restrictive class comps. Nobody learned from their mistake, instead everyone just copies retarded fighting game logic with "counter" and "ban" picks. Even "moba" games are just copying this same logic and fixing the amount of players to artificially manipulate skill requirements.

Racing
Football
Baseball
Bakestball
etc
These all have one requirement of each opposing team, but with variable difficulty based on player/team sizes. They work because they're simple, and don't work when the rules are complicated by people trying to break them and the game owners not enforcing the rules.

All competitivefags want to do is break the rules, even if it means fabricating a "meta" to trick players into false premise so that later down the line they can break the meta to win.

Mobas are a scam.

Is not a leak there is a buy in price

all successful esports communities grew naturally, and the devs joined in late
if the game isn't competitive enough to be an esport in the first place, it'll never happen no matter how much money you put into it

>dive and flankers being the top dps picks
>blizz keeps adding stun characters
>nerf stun characters
>dive is still and problem
>now stun character are there just to torture tanks and healers along side the dive

Attached: Game was goofed from the start hyuk.jpg (1440x1080, 977K)

FGC

overwatch is so fucking boring to watch. same picks for both teams

>What went wrong with Blizzard's eSports scene?
>eSports
You answered your own question. Trying to make everything esports is faggotry. It's all dogshit games full of normies and retards. Sc only became an esport because of machine tier koreans, they're not normies and the game had a skill ceiling that nobody could ever actually reach in part due to the genre. The same can't be said of shooters and mobas and dumb shit.
If it's not a fucking rts or a fighting game, it's not an esport and never will be really

That's some seriously damning stuff, but are there sources for any of them, particularly the "player death" and general player abuse?

What did DJUGGS even do?

Attached: little monkey fella.png (680x820, 283K)

Everything is just going wrong at Blizzard. I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of business in the next couple years. Fuck, this years Blizzcon might be their last.

Retarded question, but what exactly is a "dive" composition anyway? Or "dive" in the context of competitive games?

Main Symmetra.

They focused on the 'sport' part instead of the 'e' part.
I bet they appealed to investor the same way too.
>This is the future of sport
>We can be the next FIFA

Turns out most people don't give a fuck about esports.

Especially so if the game being played is really boring to watch.

A dive team rush the other team at the same time and they have skills to burst at least one of them in a flash forcing the rest of the team to run away.

Almost like you shouldn't force esports on a game.

Broodwar. Outside 4 protoss babies in the top 4.

Day 1 pro team before even normal people try the game .No other game made then compete cant carry your team in high elo.Lack of communication and people from every sphere of gaming play the game leading to wild innacuracy in the lv of gameplay.Years later still only one game mode no story beside 4 min clip and the player based is gone because of forced meta leading into coin flip game .

the term dive comes from assfaggots like LoL primarily

Players create the competitive scene. Players decide the meta. Not the developers. Blizzard doesn't understand this.

Attached: mei22.jpg (846x1200, 522K)

>game is bland and boring
>big brother blizz looms over your social media, other games and everyday life ever vigilant for inappropriate handsigns, words and emotes
>viewers are 12yo zoomers
>community is more focused on which character sucks the most dicks inlore and organizing witch hunts over nothing than having a good time
How is our esports low morale???

He's getting reported just for playing a character someone didn't like?

Thanks Doc

Welcome to Overwatch

You rush down the other team full force, in the case of overwatch you bring along fast characters like lucio or tracer

FGC only works because its 1v1. Everything else doesn't. Stupid behavior rules. Ban picks. Custom controller/sticks. Custom game rules. Specific game lineup. This is all retarded.
Nobody will ever take FGC seriously because the players/competitors aren't the ones picking the fights.
Nobody will ever take competitive fighting game players seriously because they can't even commit to the rules of the game and need to make up their own.
Its a lose-lose.

wow toxic.

This is the future gamer manbabies and their tranny alllies want.

You don't understand that this is part of the problem just as much as Blizzard constantly trying to set the meta themselves.

Metas are fucking dumb.

Blizzard is getting fucked hard by Activision. I wouldn't expect Blizzard to produce anything good anymore

>. Stupid behavior rules. Ban picks. Custom controller/sticks. Custom game rules. Specific game lineup. This is all retarded.
Is your only experience with fighting games fucking Smash?

I hope they dump overwatch and start pushing Warcraft 3 reforged as their next esport game, I always feel like Warcraft 3 never got the time it deserved due to the scene dying before esports really blew up as something mainstream, [spoilers]then if it does well, maybe we wil finally get a Warcraft 4[/spoiler]

i think there would have been more support from the community if the teams were made of eSports groups like (TSM, Liquid, etc)

A guy got banned for only playing torbjorn because blizz caved to people complaining about maining.

They deserve everything that's coming for them after killing hots

Attached: 1557893087223.jpg (813x683, 233K)

Even "successful" esports is too niche for the west.
Starcraft in Korea is a fluke.

It's not even fun to fucking play
let's hope they don't make hugbox trash like this anymore

Attached: Marge.jpg (620x412, 37K)

First non-Westerner is only at 14

Attached: file.png (964x539, 86K)

blizzard's esports scene is entirely paid for BY blizzard. They went balls deep into marketing it as a real sport instead of catering to the community, so their prize pool depends not only on community interest in the event, but major sponsors seeing that community interest and being interested in sponsoring it if the demos match up (they don't 99% of the time).

esports and esports management is also a shit job, I worked esports in south korea for NHN, then Nexon after the buy out, I also worked for Pmang for a short while handling AvA tournaments, and it's all a mess of trying to handle sponsorships. Luckily there's a lot more general interest in gaming there, but in the west? It's a disaster. People don't care about the game, they care about the players, it's all about streaming and shit, the game could literally change overnight and no retard that watches would be the wiser.

The players are suppose to decide what the competitive scene is like. Blizzard should not babysit it like what they're doing now, but instead focus on making actual fucking content for the game. Way to miss the entire point.

Attached: mei11.jpg (930x1015, 164K)

Sneed-sports

Their overwatch thing is the saddest thing I've seen. They must be using bots or paying players to watch for them to get above 50k because I remember them barely scrapping 10

dota was better than vanilla war3 gameplay

How are blizzard and hacktivision supposed to profit of organic comp?

Wow classic is pulling fucking huge numbers. Asmongold got his most watched stream because of it and wow was really high on twitch for days. I'm sure blizzard will do fine when wow classic is released.

>yfw they ruin it

Attached: 1548042866562.jpg (294x199, 19K)

Their stock lost 15% of value since the beta started. I guess confirming your New games are shit is not good for the company.

>dis game haz da big streem numbers
Yea Forums in 2019

I'll wait until the initial rush of nostalgia wears off before judging Classic.

lel

Attached: LAYERS.webm (720x405, 2.12M)

Doomfist is okay, a bit strong if it's a good player but not too bad, I don't have too much trouble against him as hog or McCree. Brig can get pretty annoying as well because of what said but I don't think she ruined it. I think Wrecking Ball has made it go to shit, I don't know what they were thinking when they designed and playtested him and thought he would be okay to have in the game. If you have a half decent Wrecking Ball defending the point it's just fucking ridiculous, he has way too much mobility, shields and health, and crowd control power it's just fucking silly when you see him rolling all over the fucking place

>"Blizzard makes a game purely to shill it as a competitive esport constantly"
Esports was definitely an afterthought, otherwise they wouldn't have let you pick 6 Meis or Torbs, Map/character bans, and loads of other stuff they added or decided on later. That's the problem, it wasn't meant to be competitive so it's dull to spectate.

This
they forced the esports shit too hard and fucked around with balance constantly instead of just making a good game and letting the esport shit happen naturally.
It's like a shitty forced meme, it doesn't last anywhere near as long a naturally occurring meme

>Attent Blizzard E-Sports Event
>Narrowly win against a top team
>Say something like "FUCK YEAH! GET REKT, LOSERS!"
>Get kicked out, banned forever and forced to apologize to the other team, which has been declared the winner

The entirety of what blizzard did is baffling to me.
They completely killed the grass root scene that was developing for their game to force their own franchised league.
Expecting teams to buy into the franchise for 200 million and selling absolutely retarded numbers to convince them such as every person who owned OW would watch it.
Make it so each team has to be separate from whoever purchased the slot. So you can't even advertise your organisation or sponsors with it. Make each of them based around a location but then nothing to do with wherever that is.
I remember hearing some really dumb shit where they started making all teams do revenue share for their merchandise because some teams were not selling anything.
If they had just let the scene develop on its own and maybe host their own tournament once a year at blizzcon OW would have been a largely successful esport.

Not to be that guy, but Splatoon had massive tournaments (relatively speaking for Japan and for being independent grassroot tournaments) in Japan long before Nintendo acknowledged it.

Forgot that the game lacked the most basic functions such as a proper VOD or replay system so you couldn't do proper reviews of a game as you can't change the camera perspective.
The people from blizzard not understanding how to properly broadcast the game to the point they were banned from the control room as they kept telling the people to do really retarded things like cam the support instead of DPS in a team fight or something like that.

I love that Blizzard learned absolutely fuck-all from ANet's attempt to force e-sports into a game only to make it worse with greed. They truly deserve it.

Watched some competitive splatoon when I was at BAM a few weeks back. Was some pretty legit shit.

I'm not saying that you're lying but could you provide sources on the player death and abuse stuff? I would like to read more about it.

Why would you stream yourself doing this?

A hero emerged.

Attached: blizzcon boy (11).jpg (1466x760, 53K)

GoG releases. Best thing they've done in a decade.

I hope the Overwatch league crashes and burns, ruining esports' chance to become mainstream.

>White Canadian male showing toxicity

Why am I not surprised

Do you think blizzard are buttmad that Brood War is still so popular. They keep doing stuff to try and fuck over ASL but it still keeps going.

>Alkaizer
My nig

>I don't know how stocks work
You realize what you see now was priced in months ago, yes?

>stream numbers
means nothing, I viewbot streams for OSM (oldschool maplestory) and they're constantly in the top 5-10 streams even though there's usually no one talking. It costs under $100 to viewbot up to 30-40 viewers. Companies also viewbot quite frequently. Blizzard viewbots streamers they plugged for heroes of the storm and sc2 when they were still giving a shit about it. Overwatch as well, you'll notice it has more than 4-5x the total number of viewers it pulls on average whenever there's a "major" event going on.

It is and they already are. CS has had a whole bunch of tournaments that were broadcast on TV. Same with RL.

No one but children with no income give a shit about esports
Evo is literally the only thing I even consider watching and its always on another tab that I just switch into briefly/another screen if I do bother

>>We can be the next FIFA

Which is funny considering FIFA has like 5 guys actually playing it competitively and they all don't even like the game that much.

Then they reworked Torb in hopes of people stop maining him.

Don't they have the stream run in the background if you have battle net open or something?

You surely know a lot of that heap of trash

Attached: 112ar.png (500x575, 308K)

>watching the most corporate tournament
>not watching Combo Breaker or CEO

No, Esports was definitely a focus during dev. Otherwise maps wouldn't be so under designed for the intent of balance and modes wouldn't be entirely balanced around time.
The OW team was just stupidly incompetent. They didn't know what the fuck to make out of the game and ended up with a mess that just isn't fun to either watch or play.

>Crushed the existing Brood War scene to lay the groundwork for their own SC2 scene
>Squeezed too tightly and suffocated the mid tier tournaments
>Shattered it because of their iron grip and everyone left and went back to BW
>Overwatch came out and a scene began to form on it's own
>Just as it was getting good they ruin the game with awful balance patches
>Then decide to stamp out the existing pro scene and pave over it so they can make their own pro circuit
>Now there is no low/mid tier scene for players to work their way up

You can't let your finance division make decisions, you need people with actual history within the competitive gaming scene to run your "esports" division.

FGC is half-dead and there is barely any money in it.
It's not an actual "esport"

Even disregarding the openly SJW shit, and the iron fisted anti-fun ways the eSports department is pulling the game as whole is not that fun to watch.

Games usually boils down to two scenarios. One is which both team just deathball against each other till one side that saved up their ults more wins, or one team just forms a fortress around their one good player and see the other team desperately trying to break through for that one guy. There’s literally just no variety that makes watching this entertaining. It might start off looking unpredictable but anyone that have seen a couple of matches of Overwatch can tell how shits going to end halfway through.

To state my own personal opinions the other problem is both the maps and the time limit is too short. Now I ain’t saying every game last a fucking hour like ASSFAGGOTS but when you are given that length, for both map and time, you usually get to see more unorthodox plays from either side.

until all the legions of zoomers get bored after 2 weeks and quit

I saved this webm to shit on Blizzard, not for the streamer.

>Overwatch is garbage
>pro players hate the game
>its also boring as fuck
>and because of Blizzard cuckery, even fans are limited to what they can say
>and to top it all off the balancing is garbage and they haven't gotten it right at all in the games lifetime

It was full of women and trannies.

Same for hots, except when that failed they killed the whole game. I imagine they've invested too much into overwatch to give up that quick this time though

It's not like that's anything new. They haven't produced anything worth a damn since they joined Activision fucking 10 years ago.

I'd say getting closer to 20 years now.

This post has the answer. you do not force a game to be competitive, especially when it was never meant to be one.

the same thing about both of the was they "released" pretty much asap. hots was a big competitive shoulder shrug where their heads are still up the asses about what to do with a now dead game. likewise there's no vision of esports in ow 2016. it's a barebones sack of shit just grabbing that $60. blaming esports for ruining the game that was hardly a game to being with is blindly pure white cope.

E-Sport itself is a cancer.

Now I am all about competitive gaming, but that shit has to be created and curated by the players, not the developers, the problem with developers is by catering to e-sports faggots they tend to want to make their game as unfun as fucking possible.

For the past 12 years or so Actiblizzard has been entirely about esports, and will ruin their games for the esports scene, and the reason for this is they hired esports management personel who keep pushing for MLG shit.

Lets look at the state of blizzards products right now
>WOW has gone from an open world MMORPG with community building elements such as raiding, loot, and professions to a game that has gutted all of its RPG elements in favor of a mobafied arena and speed running esport scene, such as talents and stats, and the main hook to keep people playing in WOW has been removed and replaced with a scaling ilvl number that has very little mechanical functionality
>Diablo 3, despite popular belief, was supposed to be an Arena game to replace WOW's imba arenas, because WOW was not balance or designed around arena combat, this is why the classes and character building was stripped out and replaced by hot swappable runes and abilities on a mobafied actionbar that litterally has the same loadout layout of a Call of Duty game, with your primariy, secondary, ultimate, deathstrike, and 3 perks, the arena system was shown promenently and was playable at blizzcon, but was scrapped late into development and never iterated upon because they instead wanted to shift development towards MTX with the RMAH, which required a completely different approach with p2w scaling items that are arena unfriendly.
>Starcraft 2 was built entirely around the gookclicker meta of korea, because of this the game was extremely unsatisfying to play since the micro game was really really awkward and the game really focused on macroplay and cheese strategies.

bro this guy is so boring, shit at games and cant even talk, how the fuck he have so many views?

It's at least partially true though.
They balanced the game around the top esports players, Genji remained broken for so long because all the big esports players used him, and he was able to be countered at that level. They kept releasing similar low-hp, high damage, high manoeuvrability heroes until the game was beyond fucked for everyone outside the top 1% of players, and even they were fucking sick of it, so they started quitting too. Then Blizzard decided that they weren't making enough, so instead of just dropping the esports shit, and rebranding it as the arcade style moba that people loved it for, they left the entire game to die.
Which is a fucking shame, because hots is a legitimately fun game, and is still fairly active despite it's reputation of being dead, which will probably fuck it over eventually

cont
>Overwatch has no clue what it wants to be, it uses mobafied elements such as ultimates and abilities, but then tries to be a skill based game and is constantly playing this tug of war of skill vs comp, and the current game is entirely based around hard counters and cheese strategies rather then skill, the highest skill plays in OW are the most basic required gameplay skill in any other FPS game, such as being able to land shots, even worse is they have plenty of heroes who are designed for strategic gameplay, but their kits are so weak and the maps so poorly layed out that they've all been reworked into DPS heroes
>Hearthstone is pretty much modern yugioh, and like yugioh it was easy to get into thus everyone loved it, it also came out during a time when MTG was at a low point, but again, like yugioh, the game has become a clusterfuck of linear strategies and is not very fun to play and has a worse legacy format system then any other card game out there
>HOTS was always the Smash of MOBAs, it has very little depth, at some point it kind of had the whole melee thing going for it where it wasn't good, but it was fun to play, but thanks to its hard push towards esports in 2018, a ton of mechanics and reworks made many heroes pretty much unplayable, and now its like league in that its just a teamfight 2 seconds and you're deleted metagame with no real strategy otherwise.

I think blizzard finally realized that their push for esports has really dug them into a hole that will be hard to climb out of, especially when their most anticipated games of 2019 are fucking rereleases

They looked at korean esports and went "Wow we can make money from this" not realizing korean esports are state sponsored and taxed.

please never share your thoughts online again

I'm not sure how they thought Overwatch's esport was supposed to work. Someone had to see that it isn't very entertaining to watch.

Why is morale low? Is it because of poor profits (investors/board members leaving) or shitty work environment (ground level staff leaving)?

CSGO chad vs the OW virgin

dota was already an esport when valve picked it up

The latter.

>The same can't be said of shooters
there's no skill ceiling in shooters, you can literally always improve
>and mobas
there's no skill ceiling in mobas, you can literally always improve
a "high" skill ceiling is bad, user. you want no skill ceiling because that means there's always room for improvement

>liked HOTS a lot
>they keep trying to kill it with their competitive shit
>now the game might actually die because of it

Ironically their mobile department

fifa is a tournament organiser as well as the title for a video game series. I assume he meant the tournament organiser

>be top player
>solo entire enemy team
>get banned

Who cares about Blizzard eSports? It was completely forced and generated via money not 100% that the games are fun to watch. The only eSport they have that isn't forced is SC thanks to the Koreans loving it. Also the fact people will sit there and buy into the bought hype is amazing.

Music

he knows his viewers will defend him

Instead of allowing a competitive scene to naturally develope they instead prop up an unsunstainable artificial scene that gets input only from them

Wasn't it pretty dead? I thought HoN and lol were the big esports games back then for mobas.

blizzard is realizing e-sports is a fucking meme and trimming the fat I bet

Attached: 1402492617989.jpg (300x260, 29K)

They killed Blizzard North, so he time traveled to the blizzcon 2019 to destroy ActivisionBlizzard

Attached: BlizzardNorth.jpg (806x546, 109K)

metas are inevitable, you retard. 'playing the meta' literally means you are maximizing your chance of winning, in the case of OW and MOBAs, generally your picks. a FORCED meta is fucking dogshit however, because that's essentially the developer saying "this is how WE want OUR game to be played"

get out of my country, pajeet

I do wonder why they killed Blizzard North. You don't kill the Golden fucking Goose.

Killing important characters without any escape plans, just because the trade is so important and its pretty much impossible to stop you.

competition and employee payments.

Companies will cut senior staff ALL the time, just because they think they can get a slightly cheaper worker at the expense of dip in quality that they don't care about.

If you have good workers that make your other projects look bad, they're the first ones on the chopping block.

If you knew how SC2's scene went in 2011/12 then you wouldnt be surprised.

They gutted local talent from getting a chance by letting Koreans register as Canadians or Americans. They killed all hype tournaments events by centralizing everything around this flawed Blizzard system.

They are so fucked with OVerwatch. They baited venture capitalists who don't know a single thing about Esports/games, and they put in a Fox entertainment executive to lead the entire thing.

The company is run by stuffy suits now.

oof kill yourself :)

Attached: wdata.jpg (680x1771, 267K)

>stocks deal in yesterday prices
you're a fucking retard m8

Attached: 1512679911440.gif (455x344, 989K)

people put on twitch streams on a second monitor for noise.

Some people even turn on streams to go to sleep. It's a kind of pseudo asmr that makes the man's incomprehensible lisp highly valuable.

Attached: Hasan A. Piker Chairman of Young Turks.jpg (1075x1200, 126K)

>means you are maximizing your chance of winning
Any game where this is mathematically, verifiably true is garbage.

they closed down blizzard north in 2005, user...

Bobby Fischer agrees with you.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

basically me, love ""watching"" warcraft 3 while drawing. I find if the thing I got in the background is too engaging I start watching to much and get no work done.

So all games are garbage?

>former overwatch pro quits because the OWL sucks and OW as an esport is toxic as fuck
>he goes on to make fun as fuck videos like golf with friends featuring multiple OWL pros who are sounding like they are having way more fun fucking around in golf than suffering with overwatch league

Im so glad Seagull left the OWL. The man sounds like hes having a blast no matter what he plays now, even on the occasion that he actually plays overwatch again.

youtube.com/watch?v=vM6UsC-fqxs

wc3? It's too engaging for me, Grubby's games are fun to watch and highly distracting. Any random person playing a grinding game like PoE is a good one for asmr.

>They gutted local talent from getting a chance by letting Koreans register as Canadians or Americans. They killed all hype tournaments events by centralizing everything around this flawed Blizzard system.

Is this the precursor to all of the teams in OVL being filled entirely with Koreans that have never set foot in the city, US state, or country the team represents?

I unironically report people for "racism and sexism in voicechat" sometimes for no reason and login to overwatch to report notifications being successful almost daily.

in a 20 min grubby game only like 5/4 min are worth watching. Do you really need to watch him kill creeps and base build for 10 min? another 5 min for psudo engagements and youre done.

That sounds pretty fun.

its the smart move. Use your OW cred to build yourself up as a streamer of RL/other games. Take lessons from the SC2 collapse - the only one who is successful is Destiny who jumped ship when the signs were there.

no. it lost some players, sure, but I never struggled with finding matches at any hour up until I could play the open beta in 2013
hon wasn't very active and most of the people who played league have never played dota

Too much micromanaging
Didn't let the scene breathe and grow on it's own
PC policing killed any kind of hype/bravado
Expectations of professionalism was too high for the audience and the players, especially if you're not coaching them on how to do so.
FPS games in general are just shit to watch, especially a game as sluggish as OW.

The game was ruined long before either of them existed.

The autoban filters pick up keywords all the time without an actual review.

>FPS games in general are just shit to watch,
I disagree on this point as both CS and Quake are great to watch. The problem with OW is how much blizzard fucked with the observers trying to micromanage the entire broadcast of it.

Wow they allowed that? They learned nothing then. In comparison look at Dota 2. Dota 2's scene still draws in hype from anywhere in the world because people fortunately are legitimately talented from all corners of the globe. People get more interested if they see a compatriot on a team competing.

With Blizzard games all the major talent comes from one Asian country.

Attached: DotaMajor-28lY5jbsWeVtL4TRZZQUjw.webm (500x280, 2.95M)

destiny was a nobody and a shit sc2 player tho

I mean it says right in the article

Still love the London Spitfires being all Korean, an American organisation and also live in the US.

>entire thread is overwatch circlejerking while the news are about Kima Phan the ugly gook finally leaving Blizzard esports

Attached: 1310340768008.jpg (798x1027, 42K)

That's pretty typical for real life sports which is the model Blizzard wanted to follow.

I actually enjoyed watching Overwatch tournaments in beta, when the game was primarily about hitting headshots and stuff.
Now all the tanks and supports are ultra-buffed. The actual meta in the game for a year and a half now has been "GOATS" which stands for go all tanks and supports - aka no DPS (headshot) characters. Really boring as shit to watch.

TL;DR is blizzard suckles my tip

The games.

Why would you watch crap games like HOTS or OW when you could be watching some GOOD ASS TEKKEN

Attached: D7rlmjkUwAEZ7GS[1].jpg_orig.jpg (2048x1365, 432K)

He's the only OW streamer that consistently gets over 5k viewers. From what I've seen people like to watch him just to shit on him and spam cancerous copy pastas.

playing around megaheal/megaarmor in quake is playing the meta
playing standard openers in starcraft is playing the meta
playing the fucking mamluks and rushing camelniggers as the poos in AoE2 is playing the fucking meta you insipid fucking cunt

We're talking esports scenes, not the actual game people play to have fun.

>Any game where one strategy can be more effective than another is garbage
Loosen your helmet a bit

Home.

Overwatch was pretty fun when it first came out but got incredibly boring and stale within 2 seasons and then when the only people playing it were people that were strict about following the meta, the game died in my book.

Starcraft 2 was only really good for the campaign and Co-Op. Multiplayer was a shit show and custom games was no where even close to what the original was like, which is a damn shame. The game died a slow, quiet death and can barely scrape 3000 people playing it in a day.

Diablo 3 was not as good as the first two and is basically a mobile game.

WoW is and will always be shit and I don't understand why anyone even likes it.

Here's your european team bro

Attached: character randomizer.png (1060x585, 1.3M)

mym league was going on up until 2012
wesg held annual dota tourneys in china
it only died some time after the first international, when most dota 1 pros got beta keys. hon got gutted when the open beta went public in 2013 after TI3 and died not too long after

Why is there so many people? I thought overwatch was 6v6.

this is the power of trans people

>Blizzard hit its peak and died a slow painful death in a dog's lifetime

An intelligently designed report system won't do shit if someone submits 5 reports in under 30 seconds for the same player

Blizzard was butthurt from losing opportunity from SC1 and WC3 Dota so went full jew control

Sekiro

Starcraft 2 has been doing well for a while now.

Have sex

It's dead

What didn't go wrong with the OWL?

>Rules were too strict allowing for no fun at all, players were punished for banter, pepe images, and the okay-hand symbol.
>Most of the teams were composed of Koreans leading to a massive skill disparity of teams that had no Koreans. (it was so bad that one team broke the record of the most consecutive losses in ALL of sports, not just e-sports until they got Korean players)
>Korean players were bland, didn't speak English and were unengaging with western audience members.
>Casters were cringey and would bait players into drama.
>The actual game sucks and is hard to watch with abilities and ultimates popping off everywhere,

Attached: 1534684060475.jpg (1000x1779, 2.21M)

I will never not be mad about the entire existence of BfA.
They deserve to burn in hell of this, yet even a blind man can see that this low effort Classic stuff will save their puny little asses, which is honestly sad.

Attached: image0.jpg (630x480, 67K)

I have uninstalled dota for 4 years now. I still watch the tournaments. Half of /d2g/ during espawts is the same.

youtube.com/watch?v=0Wrw3c2NjeE

They literally announced an esports league following release and tried to pour so much money into it to compete.

That's the opposite of an afterthought user.

>waste all my wow sub money on a dumb remodel of team fortress
>company btfo's
nice

Attached: 1559464847790.jpg (286x327, 17K)

Anyone still playing Diablo? I reinstalled it for the latest season, the gimmick is nice.

>announced
a push from the marketing team, not the devs. The game was not designed around it and even to these days it has flaws at the core preventing it to be one.

>competitive scene of a pron game
what?

Attached: 1456020938331.png (300x188, 22K)

Blizzard should just accept reality and turn Overwatch into a porn game. Porn is the ONLY reason Overwatch is still around.

I'd unironically buy the game if they had nude skins

>Nude Roadhog
No thanks

What the fuck can you play as an esport from them?

1. The most shallow boring and lifeless moba ever on the market, even fucking mobile legends is more complex. The iconic characters and the blizzard brand is the only reason it still exists

2. The complete shitshow that is bfa arenas lmao with invincible ghost wolf shamans and infinite blink mages and wizard and melee that deal 35%of your max hp with each hit and can chain that 5 times in a row
3. Some shit card game i dont even know about but its probably another mediocre cashgrab microtransaction fest supported by the fact that we love the iconic characters of the world
4. Gookfest microintensive autistic hyperspeed rts. To get good at it you must have your testicles removed because they will distract you from intense training
5. Diablo dontyouguyshavephones 3. I hope hell exists and will invade us for the way blizzard butchered their leaders their lore and themselves

SC2 was doing alright until they made that shit system that allowed koreans to travel US/EU and overtake their scenes completely.
Also killed every small tournament out there because Koreans started winning every one of them too.
So unless you're a fucking prodigy you have no chance to win anything.

you mean like joona "korea war 2.0: whitey wins" serral?

Yeah, I don't follow the scene for long time already, but I enjoyed watching Stephano crushing gooks in his prime.

Game died because of the horribly boring hero design, literally whos getting into the game instead of actualy well known Blizz characters, new heroes being constantly OP, repetitive maps, and horrendous MM. HOTS has a few good ideas such as 15min game time and quest skills, but they're drenched in hectoleters of shit.

I'm not a child and I do not agree to being told by my mommy "Blizzard" how to speak, when to speak, what to play and how to play. The moment you start policing my language I'm fucking off from your game and never coming back.
Swearing, racism, sexism, "homophobia" (like anyone can be scared of faggots), "toxicity" (oh how I hate this term), fuck - even death threats should be allowed. It's a fucking game, full of spergs, let it live its own life. The moment you're telling me not to use "no-no words" you're provoking me to use them even more.

Attached: 1312792104375.png (250x250, 132K)

What's so good about Dota or Leagues Pro scenes in comparison?

Valve for the most part are pretty hands off with pro dota as they basically just fund some tournaments and host one large one themselves, outside those they don't really try and control it.
Riot didn't go immediately for the big franchised single league. They instead did multiple leagues around the world with relegation and such so new teams could get in. Now they are starting to do a franchised league but to my knowledge that is only the NA one. Also have a decently competently run international competitive scene in comparison to what Blizzard did with OW.

The games are more fun to watch compared to ADHD zoomer noise of OW. It's a game made for casual passtime, shit Q3A and UT had more depth and required more skill than OW.
>inb4 hurrr LOL and DOTA are fun and require skill
Compared to OW they are and they do, which is saying miles. Blizzard became a western equivalent of a chink company making shiny yet more retarded versions of estsblished products. Hearthstone is MTG for mongoloids. HOTS is moba for turbo mongoloids. Etc.

>paki
>lebanese

>western

Attached: 2460658_b75a950174.jpg (500x252, 28K)

>all these people saying "x" character ruined OW
no one character can ruin the game.

the game went to shit and stopped being fun for several reasons

1. people take it way to seriously now because the only regularly playing people left are addicts.
2. they are constantly changing the power level of heroes yet in your mind you remember them as they were. how hard was it to adjust to nu-reaper? imo it was pretty fucking hard to have to constantly remind myself "oh yeah you literally have to run from reaper in 1v1 now
3. no community. at all. remember all those friends you made on CS, tf2, etc. impossible in OW. you play with someone once then never see them again.
4. anonymity and lack of community encourages me before you style play. why would I let my teammate have a health pack? he's probably a shitter. why would I make call outs my team mates most likely suck. etc.

Metas aren't "decided" upon. There's no committee that says "this is the optimal way to play the game," people find out after a thousand hours playing what that is and people start using it. Anyone trying to step up and say "X is the meta" is either preaching to a choir or is a liar.
Metagame is grown. Metagame is a social issue.

lol enjoy your dying game overwatch fags

Attached: O9VWDgP.jpg (540x390, 39K)

For lol
Nah. na, eu and cn have bern franchised. There are talks for korea now too. Franchising works better in some regions than in others. In na multiple teams already want out. Eu seems to be good on getting sponsorship and trying to turn a profit.
Korea is also finally not dominating everything anymore.
For eu there exist a lot of minor leagues in each country and some tournaments gor them, so its good for new talent etc. Import restrictions are also good.

Esports is what literally is killing blizzard and their games.
>Overwatch was fun as shit when it came out.
>people could dick around what whatever characters they wanted out in normal play.
>then they enforce only one character each in QP.
>Fun is dead and then now regulated to a mode almost nobody ever plays.

The moment that started treating QP like Wienie Hunt Jr ranked is when the game fucking died.

>no one character can ruin the game.

>add a racoon in a bowling ball
>every lolsorandom player doubles down
>every other player feels violated

>implying pro players have 'fun' playing
I used to compete in national dota 2 tournaments and trust me there's no fun involved in that level of play.

Thanks, I don't really pay attention to LoL overall.
That's something I also forgot to mention though. Riot at least vaguely care about the second tier of LoL compared to what Overwatch Contendors is.

Never got super high up but I used to enjoy playing CS at a somewhat competitive level.

> S OMEGALUL D A stream was getting more views than all blizzard games combined
fixed

The retarded idea that "competetive" mode should be casual fun. They fucking forgot that quick play exists.

>make a game boring to watch
>try to make it an esports by throwing money at it
>fail because your game is boring to watch
Whoa!

If you were an adult you would understand the concept of getting removed from premises for behaving badly.

Not that user but "somewhat competitive" and full pro are not even comparable concepts. There's an ocean of difference between a having a dedicated hobby and having an actual job, the later being almost 100% devoid of "fun"

Second only to asian males, so yes?

If you were adult you would've known that banter is never not present in stuff like street hoop, local football etc. Only millenials and zoomers have PTSD triggers when strangers call them fags.

the only game anyone cared about was starcraft and they did anything possible to kill its popularity with sc2

Wonder how those people would handle a British football match

bruh semi pro players are still top 1% of the playerbase. Its the same shit as being pro except you can afford to lose.

they are bad at video games
it's that simple

Yeah this. It was the most corporate way of getting an “esports community” and that meant it would collapse once money got tight because that was the only incentive.
Reminder that TF2 won.

"Everything." -Gul'dan

Yes, I remember clearly being removed from a football field for calling my friends spaghetti-legged faggots.

If you go to your local football field and start calling everyone present fags and niggers or threatening to kill them you are lucky if they don't call the police or punch you the fuck out. You are an extremely childish person that doesn't understand how to behave around strangers and/or children

non western, learn to read or have sex

Yes, comparing real-life interactions makes perfect sense. It's the SAME as internet anonymousity when playing an online game.

it's ok to admit that you didn't play sports growing up

How many games have you been to?

>Football
>Baseball
>Bakestball
Literally all of those games have "classes" or "roles".

It is a strech but it he's arguing that he's acting mature when he's running his mouth when it's clearly not true

this

Good. Fuck E-sports.

As I said, zoomers and millenials. Go outside once your life you atrophied degenerate and see how real people behave while playing real sports, i.e. ones that aren't supervised and censored by megacorporations worrying about their stockholders and advertisers.

Is that dota2 only or just esports in general? Lol's Faker has $1m+/year salary+sponsorship since 2014 or something and i'm pretty sure he earned more tgan 10m+ in overall.

>you are lucky if they don't call the police
Holy shit have you ever been on a football pitch in your life

Remember how hard people were hit by thought policing during Quake and Unreal Tournament era? Exactly.

Esports earning is prize money only.

>Korea
>west

Because Korean players are in na and eu teams, so Korea still dominates.

>Football pitch
Apparently neither have you as no one calls it that. Do you go to baseball diamonds to watch sports as well?

One soiboi to question them all, one soiboi to bind them,
One soiboi to bring their stocks tumbling down, and with his soirays blind them.

Attached: 1559480520873.jpg (750x673, 65K)

The team that won msi, the most recent tournament, was fully european

Why doesn't everyone just try and mimic the Dota 2 model? Valve barely have to do any work beyond managing the tournaments and making a battle pass, and they get so much goddamn money for them and their players

Attached: 0small_capitablitz.png (200x200, 68K)

I'm not an amerimutt and english isn't my native language. What an embarassing fucking deflection.

t.console-playing nigger

not many countries watch baseball bro

They do even less with CS where they just tell somebody else hey this is gonna be a major or whatever and then just sell stickers.

As far as relevant tournaments go, the Chinese team also has Koreans by the way.

Attached: world champions.jpg (723x351, 63K)

>msi not a relevant international tournament
I know ig had rookie and theshy/duke.
But things are shaking up now

>no one calls it that
how to expose yourself as an american

>Why doesn't everyone just try and mimic the Dota 2 model?
Because they want money from a big esports scene and they want it now, so instead of making a good game and let the scene grow, they invest in huge marketing campaigns, trying to create a fad.

>And frankly, it just isn't that fun to watch as an e-sport.
It's funny, sports/e-sports/whatever is very easy to figure out when it comes to general appeal. All you gotta do is ask, if some normalfag casual who has no idea what your game is, watches the matches, will they enjoy it? If you can't even visually appeal to people who know nothing about your game, it simply means your game looks like shit and plays like shit.

You don't have to like or understand sports to appreciate great plays, the same logic applies to stuff like Brood Wars where the micro management and simple tactics speak for themselves. Everything is clear cut, and deeper understanding is merely optional, not a necessity.

Nowdays E-sport games is has too much cosmetic effects, too much special effects that make even Michael Bay scenes look tame. When the average normalfag stares at these scenes playing and sees all this glow in the dark nigger neon lights swirling around and around whenever buffs and spells or whatever fly around, they aren't gonna understand what the fuck is going on. It's just gonna blind them to what is actually happening.

Imagine if you had a competitive game where nukes were involved but your game is designed so that people don't die to nukes easily and can even fight within the explosion and mushroom cloud at times. Imagine how retarded that would look to spectators. Wow a giant explosion just happened shit is flying all around, it's a visually explosive and impressive scene. Yet what's happening? Oh right, people aren't dying, actually they are still in the middle of their Daigo comeback wombo combo all while flames and debris fly all over the screen blocking the spectator from seeing. How many people can appreciate that? Oh right besides the core fans, nobody cause 90% of their attention is on the damn nuke explosion.

That's the same case with today's games. Everything is visually too showy, covering what the spectator needs to see.

Why does a 1v1 fighting game have the best team tournaments? How is this allowed?

because he games twitch and reddit meta that's all by pandering to variety/react video crowd and his own autistic community
got popular during height of OW by spamming Winston and being spastic, can only really play tanks to this day which is even funnier
and if you watch him play any other game than OW you'll see he legit has ADHD and is retarded

How long before he gets fired?

Attached: BVKNw-4D_400x400.jpg (340x340, 22K)

What'll be the next moneymaker publishers will chase after now that the esports bubble burst?

mobile games, say goodbye to blizzard's pc department

>mobile games
I said next, not previous.

Since they are always late to the party, Battle Royale games I guess.

>mimic the dota 2 model
Because it's the gold standard for espurts
>in-client spectator system with commentators, camera control and stats all easily accessible.
>replays for matches that can function after patches (up to a point I believe)
>big stupid meme book that has a shitload of features and prizes that encourages you to play and watch the game
dota 2 was the first espurt I paid attention to and it left a big shoe for everyone else to fill in. The in-game spectator system is a big fucking dealbreaker in my book and if you're making me watch your garbage with twitch and only twitch then I'm jumping ship

they are more like final nails to the coffin. doomfist being able to one hit characters is retarded and brigette is retarded in her entirety. i went from bottom 3 to first place in a random death match by solely using her when i re spawned

this shit has nothing to do with layering/sharding. It's built into the game somehow, switching zones makes enemies disappear/appear depending on which zone you enter.
If you don't believe me check out any of the available classic servers. Same shit there

Is like if they re-named shards to do damage control, oh, wait...

>Blizzard game is full of blizztards man babies
Good lord, it,s really make you think

Attached: 70943258_p0.jpg (872x1200, 511K)

C

You know your game is shit and is saved only by fan made porn.

they already tried and failed with black ops

Better question, how did this shit barren E-sport win "best e-sport" two years in a row?

>how did this shit barren E-sport win "best e-sport" two years in a row?
Just look who sponsors the event user, then you'll get your answer.

if they do, theres no hope for them

Attached: 61839558_2305937596166717_47449836613533696_n.jpg (433x427, 15K)

Say what you want about Valve, but at least they made a really fun game to watch.

Everyone who knows anything about esports knew from the start that OWL will be a fucking flop, it's the amount of money Blizzard pumped into it that still keeps it afloat, and their name too. Other esports are doing just fine.

Their games are either dead or are painfully unfun to watch.
>now stun character are there just to torture tanks and healers along side the dive
I used to like playing Rein but they added so much fucking CC to the game that I spend more than half the round not being able to move. That and they keep reworking heroes for no reason, Torb's new ult doesn't even have synergy with his fucking kit

Cute and Funny

Attached: 70700134_p0.jpg (1067x1300, 640K)

More like they were the final nails on the coffin. Hog's broken hook and instakill gun ruined it for me. It took over a year to fix him.

After fixing Hog they released Brig. Game is in a constant state of being broken.

Instead of making every character gay they should just start working on genderswap skins.

Attached: 1432259677718.jpg (652x396, 48K)

Brood War and SC2 are doing pretty alright. They seem to have a separate division though. It's a much more hands off approach compared to Blizzard's typical MO. It took them long enough to stop messing with SC2 and respect BW as its own thing.

Attached: 1559301990122.jpg (2478x2484, 2.74M)

Redpill m on Kima Phan

This man and this post would lead the world to a brighter future. Though I kind of don't want to use the term genderswap for it since I feel like it'll attract too many trannies and trans articles claiming the character is now trans and shit.

Is there any successful competitive scene that was forced top-down instead of growing bottom-up? If OW had a chance to succeed as a corporate esport it died when they decided to keep T2 on nothing more than life support and just neglecting T3 altogether. Honestly it was so much better when 3rd parties hosted shit like APEX. They repeatedly shot themselves in the feet with an elephant gun setting up OWL.

Attached: 1509785227870.jpg (653x821, 556K)

Because FGs are not popular enough for suits to completely take over tournaments.
That's why those look fun

It really is just like that massive Counter Strike failure from a decade ago.

Depends on what u define as top down
Riot invests a ton into their esports and continues to balance meta around esports specifically, often times if being the needs of the general players balance unless a hot fix is needed.
Though it did organically start on its owm, it quickly got picked up officially even before season 2, though I'd argue the creation of the LCS was the true start of the top down esports for league

they had diablo 3 done but they couldent release it because blizzard wouldent put blizzard north on it

Attached: 1473993885940.jpg (564x549, 49K)

Forced esports are garbage. Why do you think Quake still lives on as the eSports king but blizzshit will never be. Same with DOTA and CS:GO.

>kill HotS
>HotS kills your esport scene
Fuck yeah, suck my dick
Release classic and then go out of business

LoL was built on the shoulders of the DoTA scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=GQkrJEKB4Jo

There's a huge difference between a pro and a top 1%

Investor trust won't be affected so long as there are other e-sports that are making money.
>My investment into a technical gadget went bad
>Therefore investors will stop investing into any technical gadget
This is not how it works.

spot the talentless shitter who can't master anything and make a living out of it

back when I was in high school I spent three years following one of my country's formation restricted to promising talents in sports it was tennis in my case) and even then I didn't have as much time as I wanted to practice, I was still dependent of a bigger schedule and some holidays shit
the biggest pro of competitive videogames, if your game is actually worth shit (like dota) is that you can practice as much as you want, whenever you want, and improve fast, greatly diminishing the luck factor of not living in the right city with the right coach and with good enough opponents
nothing is more satisfying than actively striving to be the best at something

Yeah this is nothing, zones are on different "servers".

That's not true at all, fighting games are doing better than ever and so is EVO.

Sanitized corporate marketing firms running it
>HE SAID A WORD OHNONONONO B& HIM
>FEATURE GURL GAMER TEAMS FULL OF HIRED ACTRESSES WHO DON'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME TO SHOW HOW INCLUSIVE WE ARE
e-sports that are artificial instead of organic are fake and gay, and reek.

You try to use speed and coordination to isolate and gang up on a player and use the resulting momentum to snowball the rest of the team.

>fighting games are doing better than ever
>7500 bucks for first place
>doing better than ever
KEK

The current music department slacks a lot too, out of new hour of music only 5 minutes are epic, rest is just loop but in another tone or neutral ambience.

It was forced. Just like the CoD and GoW scene. You can't just throw money at people and expect a healthy eSports scene to just... be.

"better than ever" doesn't mean good especially compared to biggest Esport titles.

Don't forget Splatoon is also becoming a huge esport.

>only children like what I don't
The irony

How dare all of you refuse to give us dividends on our investments.

Start liking what we tell you to, god dammit. You'll be happier if you just accept.

Didn't OW start as something completely different and then morphed into a shooter along the way? From what I heard they just stumbled their way to where they are. Like how they designed the game to have a basic balance between roles like TF2 but then keep adding new heroes that completely fuck that balance. They didn't plan ahead.

That was for Tekken and they upped the prize pool to like 50,000 this year. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat get over 100,000

Brood War was a complete accident. The only reason why it became the game it is today is because Blizzard didn't care and the last patch came out in 2001. South Korea and Brood War and the whole e-sports scene happened because koreans simply liked the game and they wanted to show video games on TV to make money. Now e-sports is all about money, updates to keep fans interested and constant patches to balance the games but games like SC2 are a complete snorefest. It's way too easy and casual. Most companies have no understanding what makes a good competitive game

Attached: presaviortitle.jpg (500x446, 84K)

It's still poverty tier but it's getting better. You can't say the scene is half dead when it's growing more than ever. The FGC is also much less congruent and gated off than those big eSports titles. There's a lot more crossover appeal compared to DOTA or CS.

The skill of BW mapmakers is what really balanced the game over the years. That and players like Bisu unlocking the hidden potential of races.

Attached: 1495367733989.jpg (1980x1080, 424K)

>Everyone agrees wow pve is good and PvP is a burning mess
>Blizzard attempts to push Muh arena memes
>Less watcher than some faggots attempt to kill an npc
Oh no no hahahahahah

Like said, it's because the competitive shit was forced.

Overwatch was pretty fun that first month in before they started regulating all the fun in the game in favor of competitive balance. Which is a strange thing to say, because there's never been any balance in Overwatch considering some of the same characters have been picked on competitive teams since the launch of the game. I liked it when it was new because it was something new Blizzard was doing, and it certainly felt fun when I first tried it out.

I'm honestly impressed it hasn't completely died yet. What the fuck are queue times even like?

Attached: 1556913703833.jpg (212x203, 9K)

>No Swedes
I thought we were supposed to be good at games. What happened?

best part of all the blizzard layoffs was this insufferable cunt getting canned along with all her useless friends.
"Community Manager" who shit on the community, ignored them and went silent for months while the game went through one of it's worst periods.
She still seethes about getting laid-off at every oppertunity and it's glorious.

Attached: 1490532635681.png (616x1716, 844K)

Have you guys ever SEEN these events? I watched one from beginning to end the other day, just out of curiosity, and this is kinda what I saw.

>All teams are given a home city in the US and a catchy name but all players are Asians who mostly don't speak English
>Fans are way too hyped, you can tell they are paid because of how hyped they are, in the back you can see free seats where people brought their 4 year olds cause they're the only ones who can't see past the lies
>Team mascots are at every event trying their best to make things look exciting but mostly it's a bunch of fat H1B's in Party City tier outfits and goofy cosplay props
>The ratio of people in the paid audience with absurdly high quality lit up signs and infinite portal style lighting is like 1:2 so it looks hype as fuck but it's in reality just their job
>Blizzard shoots everything at like a 70 degree downward angle to hide the free seats with children in them in order to make it seem like it's a stadium, they try hard but between matches you can see it's the same crowd with new shirts and signs
>There is absolutely no enthusiasm for the players, they're making a wage and while I'm sure the prize pool is nice, there seems to be zero enthusiasm on behalf of the players
>Blizzard makes all players enter with goofy Overwatch emotes and the OK hand and neck slit emote are forbidden
>Most players are literally who's and don't have social media presence unless they are squeaky clean to pass Blizzard's insane SJW / politically correct standards

It's manufactured as fuck, they are the only ones putting money into the cups and I have no idea how long they can keep this up. I don't hate Overwatch, I don't play it anymore because I got tired of it, but I don't hate it. That being said, this league is a sham and I feel bad for anyone who bought into it.

Attached: 1555976799295.jpg (670x670, 37K)

The old devs did, which is why they properly curated their games to please players in a way that let the people garner a community and organize tournaments.
After WoW being a megahit success, the Marketing department got all the raises and took over. All they can see are
>Financial sources to exploit
>Psychological trickery to siphon more money from players
>The stockholders demand more nonstop GROWTH
>Focus group testing using demographics that are not the fucking players in the hopes of getting a "general audience" and more money
>Advertiser friendly content to get more money
>MORE MARKETING
>Make the playerbase happy? What? No, we need more money and growth and marketing

It will never reach even SC2 level. And that's good

OW was going to be an MMO and 80% of the developers working on it had never worked on a shooter of any kind before
It’s terrible underdesigned maps and weird simplistic character ability choices were because the developers both didn’t know what they were doing, quite literally, and wanted to play it safe with simple stuff
Do you remember the launch of Overwatch? There was an astounding amount of bugs, certain maps were famously unbalanced and unfun, and the competitive mode made absolutely no sense and often ended with a literal unironic coin flip
There were some organic esports teams developing for a good half a year, but then blizzard saw that this was a way they could prop the game up more so they disbanded them forcibly and made their own mandatory league
Blizzard had a choice to dive in to make the game casual or competitive because the original base was so barebones it could really be either, and they chose competitive

I wish blizzard had gone the casual route with Overwatch.
I was sold on this game on the back of Widowmaker’s big, phat, jiggly purple ass in the reveal trailer. That the game wasn’t designed in some way where third person is a viable option or that I can just play the character I want to play without it ruining the match because everything is Rock Paper Scissors is so stupid. I quit after the first month never to come back and I’m still rustled to this day.

He blasphemed against the Holy Meta.

As a whole it's already surpassed the SC2 scene. Even SFV alone might've done it. I keep being surprised by how large and well supported that scene is. Too bad I can't enjoy watching it.

even more funny when you think that overwatch is pretty shit as a comp game, because of all the retarded design decisions they made
looks at starcraft, every new season there's 2-3 new maps that influence the meta, and blizzard doesn't even make them because they can't make shit, there's map contests and people submit a shitload of maps themselves. overwatch has no such thing.

One trick Symmetra. One tricks are already being dickheads but Symmetra is one of the most niche heroes and on many maps she gets hard countered easily. If it's KOTH he's basically throwing.

Your rightful overlords, the Danes, started shitting on you again as everyone predicted.

>Have you guys ever SEEN these events?
i worked on these events, it's even funnier from the inside

Storytime? I would love some stories.

>it's already surpassed the SC2 scene
not even close.

there was only one CM i really liked and ironically he was in blizzard. every other i knew was a fucking power tripping cunt that did absolutely nothing positive. they can collectively fuck off

Because outdoing the 30 man dota team/icefrog is apparently impossible.

I'm ready for it

Attached: miridia.gif (352x180, 1.7M)

>30 man dota
more like icefrog + 1 guy doing the sideshit and 1 guy doing cosmetics

>write TriHard
>get banned

Uhh Thanks blizzard, also praise kek!

Attached: A91C05BA-0434-4447-AA79-86C4B3573CFA.jpg (720x462, 41K)

It really is fucking surreal. The league is under two years old and yet ‘fans’ are getting all excited saying “finally, thanks to the new home-arena series Blizzard is doing, I can see my Team at s Home Game!”
When that team was randomly assigned to their town a year ago and filled with gooks you’ve never heard of before

You are wildly overestimating how big the SC2 scene is.

I have no idea how it is now, but few years ago it was pretty huge with Blizzard trying to force BWpros to switch to SC2 and all.

sounds hilarious

Attached: 502-34.jpg (480x360, 17K)

there's not much to say, really, except for shit everybody knows by now. all of these events are actually a white label made by someone else, like ESL for EU and it's the same for a lot of games, WCS, Rainbow 6, FGCs, the events are all made by someone else. Blizzard only has like 10 people on-site at most. I think there was one dude on NA overwatch, like a project manager for NA or whatever, that was super chill and just let people shoot shit and do all sorts of goofy shit, but he just got overstepped by other people who obviously were all like "you can't show thig", "you can't act like that", "walk this way" etc etc. The production quality is actually quite allright, not TV quality, but then really like 1 or two events a year in esports are TV quality, The International, LCS Worlds, stuff like that. Players don't really interact with anyone, they sit in their lounge and play all the time, then go out, play a game on stage and go back to playing backstage. A lot of them are ultra autists that pretty much don't know how to act in a social setting, except for some eu/na people which are pretty chill. The casters are usually pretty chill people except for a few select cunts that are absolutely miserable to work with. There are casters that really don't know how to manage their life though, like literally losing thousands at casinos and shit, no joke.
But yeah, all that "this is not allowed shit" is out there, there's briefings at every event with how you're supposed to act or not, what not to say, what not to show on camera and shit like that.

The Dota 2 model doesn't foster the T2/T3 scene. Only reason it's still kicking is because of memechess, after China loses yet another TI in their hometurf it's a downward spiral from there. That game will die in three years tops.

Cap this post.

People should start randomly reporting everyone in every game for no reason. Hopefully the system breaks.

I saw game had like 120k views on twitch.
How many bots Blizzard is using to boost that number?

Attached: isa.jpg (396x321, 39K)

Despite some tiny little imbalances, Sc2 is pretty based

but you said "funnier"

That you Alchemist?

they don't, they give people boxes for watching so people minimize and mute the stream and leave it on the background

>act like an ass
>get banned

well, guess blizz is doing at least one thing right

Attached: honk.png (2000x2000, 3.28M)

In what world? NA?
Dota in NA is definitely dying out but it's only growing bigger in the rest of the world. For what reason I will never know.

I'm pretty sure they do, no way this shit boring game has so many views even with boxes.

it's actually more sad, sorry bro. also it's just pretty hilarious shit when blizz officials get buttflustered that someone said or showed something they "shouldn't have"

Yeah I always found that really weird like there's barely been any association about it.
As a point of reference I was incredibly excited when they announced IEM Sydney for the first time as I've been following CS since the 1.6 days and we could finally have the recognition to even have a significant international event hosted here.

>behave like a salty and uncivil nigger
>get banned
wtf I love Activision-Blizzard now

So why exactly did blizz pivot so hard into the esports meme? And why didn't they learn a thing from not only other esport games but from their very own games as well?

yes, they embed the stream in the blizzard launcher so everyone who idles with it open counts as a viewer

Because they made brood war so obviously they are experts in esports nobody can tell them any better or know any better.

Yes, hearthstone is a cashgrab machine and the esport scene is worst than ever, grandmasters system made by jews to fuck everyone that wants to play the game as a ((('pro'))), tournaments are a fucking joke, if you qualify you have to pay for everything so it doesnt matter if you're good you also need a lot of money

They failed. SC2 is a fraction of the size it used to be and most of the BW pros went back, including those who made it big in SC2 like Rain and Flash. SC2 has only recently stabilized at a 3-5k viewer average after a very long decline. Meanwhile despite SFV being lackluster Capcom has managed to grow their audience by the sheer amounts of events and infrastructure they've sponsored. Tekken has also grown substantially and the last year or two we have seen several big releases of new and old IPs like DBFZ and MK11.

How did Brood War start as an esport? Was it just the Koreans hosting a lot of tournaments because they were hooked?

At the moment, everything is wrong, but if we take a time machine and go back 18 years, everything was just great.

Attached: 78677787679.jpg (982x767, 60K)

It's like the big videos on youtube with hundreds of millions of view. People know it's fake but nobody knows exactly how fake, which is why it works. Kind of like reality TV where people are left guessing exactly what is and isn't scripted and so they keep watching on the off chance the drama is real.

saying nigger is part of our gaming culture, if you try to take it away from us you are bound to fail

>tfw hit top 10 with symmetra only back in season 6

They completely dropped the ball with DOTA and they're still hung up on it. They envy the esports success they snidely passed up.

that's like they never believed in their own powers to make an Esport out of OW.
Dude, in SC2 there were teams sponsored by giant corporations like samsung, T1 and green air. Yeah it's surely on decline now, but I'm talking peak popularity

Attached: averageCCGdeveloper.jpg (550x421, 16K)

OWL feels so fucking sterile and suffocating compared to every other fagsport out there.

Meanwhile in ASSFAGGOTS land some hyperautist compiled some of the dumb supposedly racist shit pro dota 2 players have said over the years. And it's absolutely hilarious.
gist.github.com/morcefaster/6562b53dbf64b4d8ef2af2ecfe9914c0

Honestly OWL reminds me of CGS way back in the day. At least there the franchises used people of whatever location they were.

Basically. Because they have historical beef with the Japanese they preferred PC gaming to consoles early on and Brood War was the title to hit the sweet spot for the internet cafe culture they have there. It snowballed into a national sport of sorts and the rest is history. It's the reason they still have such a strong gaming scene today despite all the cultural forces working against it.

Wasn't a dota player banned from China?

>2019
>TF2 is more competitive than its retarded rapebaby with Blizzard which focused on being competitive
>It's also still a better game by far

Attached: 250px-Medic_taunt_laugh.png (250x351, 111K)

>YawaR: terrorist and holocaust
>YawaR: stfu RUSSIAN RETARD
>YawaR: FUCKIN mexicna russian
>YawaR: die u peruvian ape
>YawaR: indian dickhead
>YawaR: u fuckion chink
>YawaR: i have 0 respect for u indian trahs
>YawaR: STFU u chink
>YawaR: browns the superior chink
>YawaR: i wonder if u have money u chink

How can one man be so based?

your game is dead get over it

Forcing it instead of it growing naturally.

:( I like watching overwatch league because my team is dominating
I will never get sick of bumper charging in, dying, and his whole team picking up the slack.

Yeah and it outed Valve as wanting that chink money as well. Then again, almost every corporation these days wants that juicy chink money. And to be fair, the team manager of the banned dude literally lied in front of the chinks and made the situation exponentially worse than it had any right to be.

> TF2 In 2018 + 1
Get over it already, it's dead Jim

Having to farm it out to a third party reeks of desperation and incompetence.
>$10 for 20+ year old abandonware
Even EA isn't that bad, the old C&C games are freeware.

>SC2 there were teams sponsored by giant corporations like samsung, T1 and green air
That's only because it was big in Korea and those are Korean companies. Meanwhile Japan has been strangling it's fighting game scene with terrible laws, which they are now working on changing.

>GH
kek

I don't get it, what's your point here?

dotard drama is insane man
just recently we had a dude who said that "russians whore their mothers out for MMR" and shit just went wild from there

it ended with him going on stream getting publicly lynched but thousands of ruskies on twitch. shit is amazing.

owl is h*lla epic!

Attached: 20181102_131916_Robert_Paul_06134.0.jpg (1200x800, 149K)

youtube.com/watch?v=KwmWx94iJyY

Attached: the blinding of isaac.jpg (401x300, 107K)

what the fuck they were thinking

>"It is rumored that at some point, IceFrog approached Blizzard Entertainment about the possibility of developing DotA as a standalone game, but the company was uninterested and asked him to port the mod to their upcoming StarCraft 2 map editor for free instead."
This always cracks me up.

How does that video not have more dislikes? Did OW fans honestly enjoy that?

Attached: surprised_spiderman.gif (224x168, 981K)

It means those sponsorships say very little about SC2's peak popularity.

blizzard is known to remove dislikes, it happened to diablo immortal

>Did OW shills honestly enjoy that?
ftfy

What the FUCK was Blizzard thinking honestly?

>reading this much into a simple emote
No wonder they banned the fucking OK sign, you people are delusional.

It does. SCBW and SC2 at some point are national treasures in Skorea.
That never happened to any FG.

More like they weren't thinking at all.

esports is cancer and everyone is finally noticing it

>how SC evolved into a massive e-sport

A game that got huge in one barely first world (at the time) country is not a massive e-sport. People too often conflate actual #s with popularity/trend.

Overwatch tried to mess with the best
now they died like the rest

Attached: MV5BYTgwNTg5NDktZmI0ZC00OWUxLWE1OTUtMmJiYTMxNTBiMTgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU3MzI1NzI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,70 (709x1000, 138K)

>Competitive scenes can ruin games

It's more the matchmaking than the scenes. Counter-Strike's competitive scene basically created the modern internet. Counter-Strike's matchmaking basically destroyed modern gaming.

Losing the MOBA genre and DOTA brand was probably the biggest blunder in Blizzard's history. It was 2009, they were probably overconfident in WoW and SC2 and thought that moba is some fad that will pass and SC2 will dominate the scene. They couldn't be more wrong.

>asked him to port the mod for free

How is this shocking to anyone? It's amazing how long and how thoroughly people were brainwashed by blizzard. Historically they are the most arrogant shit on a plate and call it gold company in history. Other companies don't even compare because nobody has gotten away with it more than Blizzard. Possibly the only company that can give them a run for their money is old Squaresoft.

OH SAY CAN YOU SEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Imagine how different the landscape would have been if they went through with it.

League would have died out. The f2p model wouldn't have exploded.
Valve would never have had Dota 2 only CSGO, they might have focused on making more games.
Blizzard would have spearheaded the ASSFAGGOTS trend and might have never made Hearthstone or eventually trended into mobile.

The nonwestern countries you have now specified as nonwestern are in the top 14, thus making the post false.

They have not made a good esport game since Warcraft 3.

I do this as well but I report everyone on my team and everyone on the enemy team, twice each, for "mei wall teleporter off cliff griefing racism sexism toxic".

>they straigth up banned doing anything fun on the game.
>game becomes boring and approved players become wet tissues.
why no one wants to whach this huge event?

The same thing that's wrong with EVERY esports scene. Modern audiences. Their attention span is to low and the care WAY to much about any possible or imagined "controversy."

Old viewers of sports grew up and had their habits solidified in a time when there was much less entertainment and things like sports was a COMMUNITY BUILDER. Even if you did not like the sport you participated in it to some extent because you belonged to the community. Even when television became prominent the big games were watched the nation over and they became talking points between people. This made fans invested and then kept them invested and once habits were formed most became watchers for life.

I don't think that can be replicated in this day and age. The next new game is always around the corner and with the Internets love of drama bad publicity is ALWAYS at the forefront which erodes the fanbase. Popular member gets banned? There goes their fans. THING keeps happening fans leave because of that thing and even more fan leave because the first group of fans wont shut the fuck up about it.

Instead of trying to make a permanent thing they need to make these things short term and then flip to the next game.

>There are more people who want to regulate McDonald’s happy meals than shit like this

Based and footpilled

It wasn’t even they killed it, it was how they killed it. You don’t fucking lie to these kids that take off work and school to be in your pro scene telling them there is a esport for 2019 to then take it off by the legs less than 3 months out.

Learn what it means for a game to be dead

Attached: tf2.png (734x328, 110K)