How is Pokemon generating more money now than in the 90's?

How is Pokemon generating more money now than in the 90's?

Attached: pkmn_net.png (817x638, 371K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pokemoncenter.com/newreleases
mcvuk.com/pokemon-go-revenue-is-up-84-yoy-as-it-earns-68m-in-january-2019/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Inflation.

Also, casuals are all massive paypigs.

>Spent less money making products
>Raise the prices

Add normies and brainlets to the equation with a hint microtransaction and BAM!! = no more quality on it anymore.

Attached: 1558965435403.gif (500x341, 557K)

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee came out

Eastern Europe and Latin America now consume much more media.

In the 90s Pokémon fans were limited by how much their parents are ok with paying.
Now Pokémon fans are adults with disposable income.

Pokemon GO

Inflation
Vastly more market reach
Mobile market
Good business management

It does feel good seeing Yea Forums btfo

>there are more people alive today than there were in the 90's
>social media has done wonders for advertising
>

Despite popular belief Pokémon go was so insanely popular it stayed in the news for months about Pokémon go this Pokémon go that Pokémon Go to the polls, Girl finds dead body while playing Pokémon go
It was like insanity

because nintendo is licensing more shit marketing more bullshit getting more cheap chinese shit produced, and putting less effort into everything which all increases profits because cucks keep buying everything anyway.

>he actually believes this

There wasn't that much variety of merchandise or avenues of revenue for pokemon back then. They have merchandised everything now, and are selling many of the older games digitally to normalfags.

Pokemon needs to stop selling this well with no effort for the games to get better. How likely is this in the near future?

Before it was children. Now it's children and man children buying that trash.

Are you implying GF invested millions into developing for LGP/E, the 3DS games and Sw&Sh?

Attached: 1449194637953.jpg (322x357, 20K)

Have you ever watched Maxmofoe? Game Freak is a marketing company and they release new merch and collectable gimmick products every week. It's like Disney in the late 90's to 2005 living on princess notebooks and mcdonalds toys
If there is anyone in Japan walking with purse, backpack, toy, dress or shirt. 1/3 chance that it's pokemon related. Even fleischer studios still somewhat exists today by just making felix the cat merch for old ladies

They've got great ideas that capture the casual, worldwide gaming audience.

They are making so much merch now. Taking the Disney route.

This, pokemon is a brand now. Recognizable, unissex and malleable. The games don't make even half of the buck they earn by year
Sanrio never needed to produce a new Hellow Kitty, they just needed to dress her in a different way in a differeent style

Pokemon Go, Pokemon Quest, and Detective Pikachu movie.

Mobile shit + brand value goes a loooong way, especially when you brand consists of childhood nostalgia for all normie millennials who now have smart phones and purchasing power.

Attached: 1535242050198.jpg (126x126, 5K)

They have their own stores for god's sake

Attached: pokemon-center-tokyo-dx-cafe-mar132018-photo-4-1038x576.jpg (1038x576, 151K)

It isn't even nostalgia at this point, it's just popularity. Kids still buy mickey notebooks after the 40's

>GO constantly on the top of the android/iphone charts
>each game sells as much as the top selling PS4 exclusives, sometimes double that
>all that fucking merch

What is the deal with Hello Kitty anyway? I just remember my little sister checked out some DVDs from the library when I was a kid and there was a hot green catgirl who played bad guy roles.

Cuz unlike most games nowadays, it isnt sjw/lgbtbbq pandering and is actually fun if you arent of the kind to randomly kill an animal for """sport"""

minimum wage in 90s vs minimum wage in 2k19 kys retard use your head next time

It was alright growing up but anybody over 30 still playing Pokémon are brain dead npcs
Seriously, as a kid it was cool but I can’t see my 32 yr old ass playing it. I tried playing the ds game my god it’s pretty hollow.

Eh. Maybe try some of the spin offs. I like the main games for the main campaign (online is fucking cancer) and also the mons themselves. I recommend pic related for almond activation

Attached: duel.jpg (700x466, 42K)

Not very likely, a large amount of the consumers are kids/parents. which don't care as much about product quality since they don't know any better.

Pokemon go makes about 3-9 million a month

Here's the breakdown:

Merchandise: $61 billion
Video games: $17 billion
Trading card game: $10 billion
Box office: $2 billion
Manga: $1 billion
Home video: $863 million

Out of the $90 billion Pokemon has made in its lifetime, $61 billion comes exclusively from merchandise.

Much like Hello Kitty, TPC also charges a lot for licensing fees, and official Pokemon merchandise is expensive as fuck.

Attached: 1559620868275.jpg (1080x655, 213K)

The funny part is the profit of TPC is incredibly small compared tot he revenue since Nintendo, Gamefreak, and Creatures cannibalize the revenue before their little managing company get the leftovers

The internet

>There wasn't that much variety of merchandise or avenues of revenue for pokemon back then

>Anime
>Movies
>Toys

Pokemon has been a multimedia extravaganza since it began.

Only difference now is that the toys are actually well-made and don't look like ass.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Of course they did, are you dumb?

Attached: 20190604_010543.jpg (792x792, 431K)

Pokemon makes most of its money outside of video games

In terms of games alone, Mario is still in the lead at $30 billion compared to Pokemon's $17 billion (though that still makes Pokemon the second-highest selling game series), but the merchandise is where the main difference maker lies; Mario has only made $4 billion in merchandise sales compared to Pokemon's $61 billion

anpan what?

girls like Pokemon now

Only 20 devs?

Holy fuck why can't someone inject some passion into that studio and have them stop produdce literal souless garbage

>now

Pokemon's been a unisex franchise since day 1

fpbp

Attached: whale.jpg (593x537, 125K)

20 devs is more than enough for Pokemon.

They've got 148 employees as of 2018. Some are devs, some are artists, some work on non-Pokemon games.

Better monetization and people are dumb enough to pay for more retarded shit than in the 90s

Because the series is getting better and better despite what nostalgiafags think.

Merchandise

More merchandise made = more merchandise sold

New Pokemon merchandise comes out every week.

20 MORE you illiterate fuck. READ.

The children from back then are now earning money on their own.
Back then, there were their parents in the way of making stupid purchases.
Now, "grown up", they can do whatever they want.

because most of the south american third world and china couldnt afford games in the 90's

now all of those thirdworld retards can buy these shitty games

>The children from back then are now earning money on their own

But they aren't playing Pokemon anymore

The entire Pokemon franchise operates on the principle that kids will outgrow the franchise, drop it, and get replaced by new kids, a guy involved with the series literally said this in an interview years ago

Kids still make up the overwhelming majority of Pokemon's fanbase and are where most of its sales are coming from

Inflation.

>But they aren't playing Pokemon anymore
I know a few that do. (I am not. Stopped playing after Gold/Silver.)
And for fuck's sake, literally everyone that age had Pokémon GO on their phone a few years ago.

Mobile trash and upcoming gachashit

But the price of Pokemon products has remained the same

The price of the products hasn't increased, the quantity of products has.

I'm supposing this isn't just about the games and includes the tons of merch and pokemon GO?

Pokemon is a multimedia franchise. Games, while the main part, are only a small part of the while thing. Even if the games weren't being bought the designs would be used for merchandise, anime, movies, and trading cards. Do you know how much fucking merchandise there is? You have to take down all pillars to topple this giant. Which is why The Pokemon Company exists. And people assume Gamefreak handles everything when they're a small fish that somehow got themselves into this empire.

Here's your answer: pokemoncenter.com/newreleases

Official Pokemon merchandise is expensive, a single shirt costs around 30 bucks

That's The Pokemon Company. Which Gamefreak only owns a third of. Gamefreak just makes the main line games and designs. Nintendo and TPC handle everything else like what to do with the IP.

This

The reason that The Pokemon Company exists is because neither Game Freak nor Nintendo are capable of handling a franchise this large on their own.

Basically the same shit as hello kitty

>Pooh outsells Lord Maus
JUST

This guy is retarded bro

>Pokemon needs to stop selling this well with no effort for the games to get better. How likely is this in the near future?

Because even if they did massively increase the budget and team sizes to meet your demands. All they'd be getting $40/$60 with a lower profit margin off a bitter fuck and even then you'd probably still be disatisifed.

Whereas they may get $200+ from someone who thinks Pikachu/Eevee looks cute in LGPE and wants the merchandise.

What's the best 3DS Pokemon game? I haven't touched them since playing through the nip version of gen 3 without understanding anything and just recently got a 3DS.

>Year ending February 28th
Fake as fuck. Everyone knows the year ends at December 31st

Loads of franchises are, everything is so much more accessible to people now, so things sell more.

20 more developers
20 million

And the game STILL is unoptimized garbage that runs at 15 fps

Because it's the most profitable IP in the goddamn world
If Nintendo can survive a decade with Wii shekels, just imagine how long they could last with Pokemon alone

Gamefreak are known to be shit devs. It's why they needed Nintendo's help making Gen 1 and Gen 2.
Hell, they sold an undisclosed amount of themselves to Nintendo and Creatures just to make the first game.

Werid thing is for a spell Gamefreak did have to "try" to keep people insterested in Pokemon. It's just strange soemwhere between Gen V and VI somehow Pokemon Company took the reigns and started advertising the heck out of the games nullifying the need for the games to actually be anything more than tripe.

Look at all those nostalgic live action Sun Moon ads where they keep showing you carefree days of youth. Then look at the actual game.

GF is so incompetent that they needed Yamauchi's protege (Iwata) just to complete GSC
Iwata enabling Kanto might have been more important than his actions at Wii since GSC cemented Pokemon as a legit franchise

If that figure is true then Pokemon has been overtaken by Sony's Fate Stay/Go as a cash cow.

>Inflation.
Inflation is a multiplier. It doesn't just affect the amount you pay, user. It affects the amount that the producers have to pay in materials order to produce as well, so it's meaningless to say inflation is the reason when we're talking about net PROFIT, which is revenues-cost.

Probably true. It was also Iwata who put in Mew in the first place thinking of future promotions to give him out at events.
Iwata was a crazy genius to put Mew and Kanto in. The fact that Pokemon is such a small game size wise is proof of his programming magic

Also it should be mentioned how fucking retarded it is to imply inflation as a cause for a 50 percent rise in profit in ONE YEAR.

Inflation means the same amount of currency is worth less than before.
And it's 30 years dumbass.

Because it's still popular. Old fans keep coming back and because of how highly marketed it is and how much merch is available, new fans keep coming. No shit the profits will keep increasing.

>30 years

Pokemon isn't even 30 years old yet

>Also it should be mentioned how fucking retarded it is to imply inflation as a cause for a 50 percent rise in profit in ONE YEAR
>How is Pokemon generating more money now than in the 90's?
He's not answering that question

Do you think that producers just don't have to pay for materials and the cost of production, user? Do you think they use magical fairy currency for that shit?

>And it's 30 years dumbass.
>For the year ending February 28, net profit rose to $124 million. That provided a 50% increase year-over-year and is the second highest net profit ever for the company. In 2018, net profit came in at roughly 81 million.

>But they aren't playing Pokemon anymore

Definetly not true, i've never seen so much hype for pokemon than at uni a few years ago

"The year" originally ended in February, user.
That's also why the extra day in leap years is at the end of February.

did you not read the original post he was answering

Did you not read the image OP used to try and back up his claim?

and DIsney just let Mickey rot.

They only profit $124 million? That is a lot less than I expected from a series like Pokemon.

More dumb people with money than before

OHNO OHNO OHNO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How much is Fate/GO profiting?

It's Pokémon GO and merchandise sales that skyrocketed due to renewed awareness in the franchise caused by GO.

FY2012: $16.6 million
FY2013: $10.6 million
FY2014: $18.4 million
FY2015: $5.6 million
FY2016: $143.3 million
FY2017: $80.8 million
FY2018: $124 million

What happened in 2015

The Pokémon Company is only a small part of the various companies that profit off of Pokémon.

OR/AS. That's not saying much anyway, it's when the series commited with going to shit.

No new mainline game release.

Whales.

Mobile game wales are crazy money.

It passed the $3 BILLION revenue mark in march. Literally pissing all over Nintendo lmao

>90's
You mean 1996-98 when the first game came out?
What do you think you fruitcake

Pokémon GO is very close to Fate Grand Order in terms of profits, it was at 2.3 billion dollars half a year ago: mcvuk.com/pokemon-go-revenue-is-up-84-yoy-as-it-earns-68m-in-january-2019/

What you're seeing in this thread isn't Pokémon's total revenue, it's just the profits that The Pokémon Company makes off of it. Remember that the revenue from GO mainly goes to the videogame companies involved themselves, i.e. Niantic, Game Freak and Nintendo, as does the revenue from the mainline games (Game Freak, Creatures and Nintendo). The Pokémon Company is mainly in charge of the merchandising and IP licensing.

black cartoon mouse is timeless classic for all ages
yellow cartoon mouse is for children only

>iwata helped us is now without iwata things wouldn‘t have worked
Didn‘t morimoto even criticize iwata sometimes about the code? Honestly the literall only reason gf is so shit now is the shift to 3d, also now they are shifting to hd as a handheld dev you morons

because kids nowadays are bigger dumbasses than back then

Why is 3d code so difficult?

>Honestly the literall only reason gf is so shit now is the shift to 3d, also now they are shifting to hd as a handheld dev you morons
Wrong. It's because the men in charge are a Masuda with a corrupted perspective and some faggot called Ohmori, instead of Morimoto and Takao Unno

for fuck's sake this kinda shit feels me with pure unbridled ape rage

Based whale keeping our games alive.

why does Pokemon's existence make Yea Forums itch

>he says this while the best games were made by Masuda, and the foundations of the other better games were also from him

To this day I still can't believe Winnie is so high. What's appealing about that retarded lazy ass teddy bear? Even as a kid I hated it.

They criticized him for not following Nintendo's protocol when it came to debugging.
Mew was put in after the game was put through Nintendo's debugging. Iwata had the idea to take out the debug tools and put in Mew (completely filling up the ROM in the process) after the game was ready to launch. This was against the rules since it would require putting the game through debugging again. If the game was glitchy and unplayable because of that, it would have been on Iwata's head.
I'm sure someone at Nintendo complained to him about it and told him not to do that again.

>X/Y D/P B/W
>The best pokemon games
>Not B2/W2 HG/SS

Attached: 1533233102764.jpg (600x677, 23K)

children who begged mommy for a pokemon game now have the power to buy it without being hindered

It's easy to take an existing game, add more shit, and call it a day. It doesn't mean the directors of said-games are good on their own. Only that they're good at taking what others made, taking their foundations, and add in more shit. Let's see if they can actually build something from 0. It's not the same job, and require some other talent.

He also made FR/LG, also Shinji learn to read the whole damn post and not only half of it

>foundation of the better games

without DP and BW you won't get those, and I bet if Z came to be XY would also be remembered fondly

Masuda didn't even made thr first ones to begin with, your point falls flat.

Attached: 1536667724433.jpg (294x294, 19K)

see those best games literally use the engine of DP and BW

Your point has no sense. Masuda isn't a programmer; he didn't made any pokemon game. Didn't made any engine for them.

>He also made FR/LG,
Exactly, you BTFO his point.

How do you make that much money and not just buy the currency directly online? I thought only kids got the cards casuse they don't have a credit card.

Then why did user bring him again if he "didn't make any"? He's a director btw.

There is no point in arguing about shit like that.
It depends more on what age you were when you played them (and in what order) than what game was actually "good".
I fucking loved Red/Blue, liked Gold/Silver, and then hated everything after. And that's objectively wrong.

>only 120 million profits
that's really fucking low for a top10 IP in history.

Director =/= Programmer

It's basic. As a director you are the one responsible for the product, that's is what a director is. I'm guessing some faggot got triggered because he tought someone was dissing Masuda And he'd be wrong, he wasn't dissed

>100 billion $ revenues
>only 120 million benefits

>likely
stop reading nodev blogs

Almost everyone has access to pokemon games through their phone.

read the original post

Read the first quote of the chain.

>pooh is third
DELETE THIS

Attached: 2400.jpg (700x420, 27K)

>Anpanman (The Smiley dude)

Japan is weird

That actually seems very little.

Decrease of quality + autistic fanbase that will always buy it regardless.

Pokemon is everywhere, people will even start to judge you if you're not paying the current game(s) attention.

At least I still somewhat enjoyed the series until 6th gen. But 7th gen was pretty miserable for me.

Lots of people buy time cards at particular stores to get reward/loyalty points or cashback options.

The Pokémon Company was not a thing yet in the 90's

It's accumulated like 20 years worth of autistic fans who continue to buy every fucking game they release no matter how shit it gets

>7 of the top 13 highest grossing media franchises are japanese
>elevens still think the west makes more money
lol

girls love teddy bears

If there's one thing Japan can do is milk each atom of a popular IP for years.

Except for Level 5, who manage to kill each one of the franchises they milk in about 3 years.

Yeah a multiplier which means everything is multiplied which means non-percentage profit is too. But it's even better since the cost of production has gone down due to more efficient automation. A pair of jeans is cheaper to make than it was 30 years ago

China finna start WWIII over Pooh's popularity
Who will you side with in the Pooh Wars?

Layton could've been so good.
Fuck level 5, man.

>likely
ah, so it's fucking nothing.

As much as tv fags, anime fags, cartoon fags like to point at sales figures or ratings as signs of success, its fucking meaningless. Ganes and Movies are the only industry that often gambles everything on one widly successful movie, but the movie industry pales in comparison to massive multimedia franchise. They keep making expensive fantastic 4 movies that are shit and flop, but they can't lose the license, the brand is to valuable.

One Piece the best selling manga in the world? One Piece at no point was selling half as many Weekly Shounen Jump Magazines as Jump was in its golden age of Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and YYH and its significantly lower now. Dragon Ball as a multimedia franchise is making 3x the amount one piece is, the last two Xenoverse games have sold over 10 million copies, Dragon Balls Gatcha game is highly successful.

Cartoons are made to sell product, they could never sustain themselves on tv ratings. Anime is made to sell Blu-rays and what ever source material they adapt, hoping they are at least even, the successful will make millions with merchandise. Live action tv shows are insanely cheaper to produce and can survive off of ratings.

Anytime pokemon comes out with a new generation, they got 100's of new products to sell, they can resell old popular products as well. They have a successful card game which is basically like printing money. Those 90's game sales were impressive, but they were only the foundation for building the largest media franchise in history.

You're right, but it looks like Pokémon is going to get some nice cash from the movie industry too, a random spinoff adaptation like Detective Pikachu made $400 millions at the box office.

Did Detective Pikachu suck?

Nah, it was a good movie.

The puzzle master died

Pokemon can make money on any venture it wants. They keep making the anime so kids keep being introduced to it, they have this massive amount of history to immerse themselves. Imagine being a kid and thinking how cool Necromaza is and all the new pokemon are, then you learn there is a actual pokemon god and there was a time before mega evolution. You can spend years immersing yourself in it, its a gold mine for nintendo.

Layton had already been milked dry before Akira Tago's death, having six nearly identical games in the span of six years does that. Though to be fair, Level 5 manages to kill their franchises even when they take their time and mix things up each time, look at Yokai Watch. 4 looks amazing though, I hope it does well.

I’ve never heard anyone make this argument without immediately following it up with some seriously retarded bullshit. Go on, tell me all about how some real-time fancy-graphics open world RPG is just what Pokemon needs.

Not him, but I am sad that they don't keep expanding on the spin off games. I think part of the reason so many people are fine with the main pokemon games are so samey is that there is a actual large variety of pokemon games to play. Its not like they stopped, but Pokken was the last major attempt at this and not some cheap cash grab.

>edgelord thinks he's not the one with brain problems
To think even on the most normalfag board on 4channel, there are still people delusional enough to believe the world revolves around their shit taste.

Mickey Mouse design peaked with SBW fact.

Attached: Steamboat-Willie-1.jpg (561x613, 32K)

It does. Not in mainline games, that's impossible without breaking compatibility with previous games/gen and without ditching online. That's what spinoffs are for and why they're better than mainline games since a decade

Attached: 1552784287257.jpg (1280x720, 623K)

Winnie the Pooh forged real men in fire.

Attached: TQpae.jpg (1600x1048, 406K)