Is the Pokemon series unironically in a worse state than Sonic at this point?

Is the Pokemon series unironically in a worse state than Sonic at this point?

Attached: Pokemon SH SW.jpg (624x280, 29K)

No. It hasn't had any fundamentally broken games and Game Freak have at least stuck to the core of the series without any retarded changes. It's just laziness, which isn't the issue with Sonic. Sonic's issue is a lack of solid direction or identity.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to actually think that, good thing this is yet another shitpost thread

Yes, check /vp/.

yes, at least sonic allows fan games and hasn't been sold out to the chinese.

The series isn't, the fans are on par.

Big problem is the mainline games are in an awkward spot between being a linear as fuck story game and a post game competitive game, when from level 1 it should be about catching them all, not rushing through a unskippable cutscene slogfest

Attached: 1552268111275.jpg (4096x4096, 1.86M)

No. Just no.

You could argue that Pokémon has gotten stale, but Sonic has the opposite problem. Everyone and his dog keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and experiment with him whenever he shows up.

Realistically no, but if I ever feel like shit-flinging it's an easy target.

Attached: D0glLX6U0AE6W3p.jpg (926x1200, 109K)

Attached: 1551393044096.png (644x748, 418K)

Maybe. Sonic may have sucked since 3D was invented by Mr Nintendo; but, Sonic is still an actual, albeit shitty, videogame franchise; Pokemon is a phonegame series with an attached shovelware game.
>Game Freak have at least stuck to the core of the series without any retarded changes
Game Freak has stuck to the established formula of the series to the detriment of it's actual core.

HAHA SHES SCOTTISH

Attached: 9FA0EAFA-F6CD-4143-A15C-FCE39EB9B428.jpg (1024x515, 99K)

Attached: 1551356524326.png (588x353, 235K)

>Game Freak has stuck to the established formula of the series to the detriment of it's actual core
I know, but what I'm saying is the Sonic comparison isn't a good one

nobody fucking drinks grape fanta here tho

Not even close. Sure the mainline Pokemon games are a bit safe, but there hasn't been any disasters anywhere near something like Sonic 06.

Sonic's highest highs are higher, but its lows are dramatically lower.

Twitter enjoys it so I'm not allowed to!

Attached: 827.jpg (500x1600, 123K)

I love Tumblr! xD

Attached: tumblr_po4b5wvj8m1snwamwo1_400.jpg (400x428, 81K)

>Nintendo steps the fuck up for once. albeit with some old mistakes still
>Zelda tries something big and new
>Mario returns to form
>Splatoon is a successful new IP
>Pokemon: herp a derp heres the same game but on switch

C'mon GameFreak at least make it look good.

Attached: 1558766574248.png (558x641, 8K)

Attached: 1551375621824.jpg (1200x658, 158K)

Oh no, bros, people I don't like are enjoying things I like, oh no, oh no!

You can enjoy it but it's a normalfag meme for a shit game

But it’s not funny

What do you mean? I love Tumblr and this meme! :D

Change the Fanta to Tubaina.

Attached: D3Y8mAnUEAAOX9m.jpg (1200x536, 112K)

No. But they're definitely getting there at least in terms of how out of touch they are with their fanbase.

Oh no bros someone doesn’t like something I like bros oh no!

>normies make art OC for memes they like
>Yea Forums's OC is editing pepe into other people's comics

>but they're the plebs, not us

Attached: 1558742151657.png (322x395, 201K)

Is the Pope Catholic you cheeky tart?

This accent is more like a geordie than a Scot

they haven't retorted to ironic memeing to try and stay relevant so

Only Pepes
No memes
No independent thoughts
Consume.

You can't compare when "Name + the hedgehog" exists, and this is tame compared whit what i witnessed...
BUT, Pokemon can get bad in a few ways... what would happen IF:
>Pokemon Amie is back whit a few tame additions.
>VR is compatible whit Pokemon or it will be in a later patch.
>VR can be used in Pokemon Amie to peek where you shouldn't, and pokemons react to this action.
This will be a Furry breeding grounds if this is real, even more of what it is right now.

Attached: Oh The Pain. Bro.gif (350x259, 2.49M)

And yet it's still better than taking time to make fanart for a shit game

Still more polish than Sonic. It's never embarrassed itself either. Also Pokémon is still getting new fans whereas as Sonic has been gradually petering out as anything more than a meme.

No
Sonic has had a handful of good games and has been complete shit for 2 decades at this point
There have been no mainline Pokemon games that are completely broken, even if it’s stale it’s better than all the abortions that sega release

Not yet but could be in a few years.

Attached: Latvia Fag.png (1920x1121, 761K)

The series isn't but the devs are though. There is no doubt in the fandom's mind now that Gamefreak as developers are incompetent. Even after having several decades to grow they are still making mistakes even indie devs wouldn't.

If Sh/Sw had scot lingo and accents it would redeem this gen

I remember that thread

>Consistent sales, popularity but little change in the formula while being an RPG with difficulty as hard as you make it.
>Trial and error on whats practical as still struggling with dozens of bad games

no

Pokemon games aren't bad like most Sonic games, they're just constantly pandering to 6 year olds and pulling a Sims with every Generation (one step forward, five steps back) never, ever actually really building on what mechanics came before.

We are never going to get a "definitive" pokemon game that isn't a fan game or romhack.

Is this available on archive? I need to witness fail.

Like with Sonic, just play the superior fangames.

Attached: pokemoninsurgence.png (284x191, 233K)

What are the best Pokemon fan games?

Current Pokemon games are obviously lazily made, but they're functional and the formula is very solid.

Sonic's situation is much worse, it's really that bad when even mediocre stuff like the boost games are considered "good" by the fanbase.

Cringe

What possible incentive does Game Freak have to innovate? They are making more money than Marvel capeshit and Star Wars combined with their franchise and all it takes to keep the train rolling is making a mediocre JRPG every couple of years.

M-word

No, it's just as bad as usual. It'll be successful no matter what though, they would have to do something really stupid to turn away their fans now, all they need to do for a hugely successful game is what they've been doing for years now.

>to the detriment of it's actual core.
The problem isn't that they're sticking with it, it's that they keep on removing shit and half committing to gimmicks like megas.

Only a full retard could ever possibly think that

Attached: pokemon ss.png (1182x1132, 30K)

>for once.
You say that like they never do that.

imagine actually believing this lmao

Your face when there's voice acting

X/Y is one of the worst games of all time and I would honestly say Sonic 06 is more fun to play.

Even they all have dumb accents like xeno blade 2 voicing act in pokemon would just be weird

Attached: 1525415299972.png (1440x810, 447K)

In all fairness Nintendo stepped back down in 2018 and hasn’t recovered since. The release schedule is awful.

Fuck off, grape fanta is the best you coward. I bet you drink Dolly for le epic memes too

Not even close. Only the most mindless Sonic fan or the most mindless Pokemon hater could possibly think that.

No. It's just stagnant, not widely recognized as a joke. I actually like Sonic as well for the record, even if he's objectively in a shit spot right now. Game Freak could do way more but why would they when they'll sell tens of millions without trying anyway? I just hope online is structured at least somewhat differently. ORAS has probably been my favorite system so far.

Yeah, I'm used to it since I bought a Wii U but people praising them when they only really had a good thing going for the second half of 2017 gets on my nerves. The droughts have been the same if not worse than the Wii U ones.

it's actually worse than the wii u, because at least back then the 3ds was getting games.
now the 3ds is dead and we still have wii u-style game droughts because nintendo would rather make "games" for fucking smartphones than support their only console.

Pokemon is shit now, but unlike sonic it actually has the normalfag audience that defend it to death

Pokemon is fine other than losing minor features for no real reason between games, the amount of retards screeching they need to redo the entire system are retarded.

It really is a shame because for a little while it finally seemed like they got their shit together but in reality they just blew their load to get everyone to buy a Switch, and it worked. What really gets me though is the fact that they keep rushing shit out to fluff up the library with games that are lacking in content and cost 60 burgers. If the E3 direct is as underwhelming as last year’s I’m giving up on the Switch. At least Mario Maker looks finished.

Sonic recently had a legitimately great game in Sonic Mania.
There hasn't been an exceptional Pokemon game in almost 20 years.

No. Outside of Yea Forums, Pokemon is still a well regarded and critically recieved series, while the majority of Sonic's games are mediocre and the series is not recieved well at all. Going by review scores, ever since 2010, Sonic has had 11 games released and only 4 of those got higher than a 75% (Colors Wii, Generations, Mania, Colors DS). Meanwhile, Pokemon has had 12 mainline games released since 2010 and all of them have gotten above 75% through Metacritic. This isn't to say that the Pokemon series couldn't be better than it is right now, but Game Freak isn't nearly as incompetent as Sonic Team or SEGA.

Critically well-recieved series*, whoops

There hasn't been an exceptional Pokemon game in almost 20 years.
objectively wrong

Sonicfags really are full of themselves huh.

>There hasn't been an exceptional Pokemon game in almost 20 yea-

Attached: MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg (1000x895, 720K)

based

>Outside of Yea Forums, Pokemon is still a well regarded and critically recieved series
that's only because critics don't take pokemon seriously enough to scrutinize it. legpiss was an absolute joke of a "game" and still managed to get an 80 on metacritic.

>Game Freak has stuck to the established formula of the series to the detriment of it's actual core.
Yeah, sure, but that doesn't make them bad games. Just worse games

Attached: 1557807417577.jpg (1118x1790, 1.28M)

The background for the chick on the right looks like a lesbian flag in a distance.

Attached: lesbian_by_pride_flags-d9c81eh.jpg (540x324, 9K)

>There hasn't been an exceptional Pokemon game in almost 20 years.
t. bitter boomer who still plays games for children

>That Pidgeott is just a fucking rooster

Even though the fangames have some sort of variety, pretty much all of them have certain focus on nuzlocke playthroughs, and their unique gimmick is quite busted most of the time, I mean once I got that delta Ralts in Insurgence and I evolved it into a Gardevoir the game became a walk in the park.

Attached: 1474688254945s.jpg (236x250, 11K)

>But they're definitely getting there at least in terms of how out of touch they are with their fanbase.
The problem is that there's no established "core" fanbase with Pokemon since its pretty much a franchise that appeals to everyone and marketed as such and its only extreme autist who care about the metagame shit and GameFreak seems more interested in appealing to the one that'll give them the most money (they only really started doing away with old tradition when it finally got competition with Yokai Watch at least in Japan but now that its dead they're going back to tradition with the next installment). All Sonic really has is its core fanbase sinceit really is a relic of the past that doesn't have the same wide appeal as Pokemon hence why Sega gave the okay for Sonic Mania because they know how autistic the core fanbase really is and what they want.
>it's that they keep on removing shit and half committing to gimmicks like megas.
This. Its always one step forward two steps back with them which sucks because they know how to make a great Pokemon game but then immediately follow it up with shit and this has bern the case since Crystal.

>RS - Meh
>Emerald - Great
>DP - Meh
>Platinum - Great
>BW- Meh
>BW 2 - Great

But ever since the move to 3D its been a steady decline where each game is worse than the previous one.

Attached: 1559238607998.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

>There hasn't been an exceptional Pokemon game in almost 20 years.

Attached: 250px-Platinum_JP_boxart.png (250x224, 108K)

Pokemon is at least playable.

>Highest selling video game series and franchise of all time.
>The only game that can break even from a major studio and is nothing more than a self-aware joke from said studio in order to avoid criticism

You might as well be comparing Beethoven to AC/DC at this point. I like Sonic as a series more than Pokemon, but the series is filled with loads of mediocre games and deserves most of the flak it gets.

Meanwhile, Pokemon is critically acclaimed in almost every title, has far more recognition and respect, and even their "mediocre" titles are still above average.

When Sega releases Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic Mania 2, and an actually good Kart-Racer, they will have some leverage, but Pokemon can get away with Pokemon Sleep and Home at this point ad people will blow their loads.

plus Pokemon has better movies.

I don't know what makes people assume that if Adventure 3 is a thing that it will automatically be good. I don't think there is anyone on the sonic team currently that had worked on the adventure games.

No, gamefreak still understands the basic fundamentals that made the games good. Sonic Team does not.

Sonic just had a great game and Pokemon hasn't had a good game since 2010, so yeah.

It isn't even the fact that X/Y and beyond is bad for me, it is the fact they are really fucking boring. Forces sucked but I had fun making fun of it at least.

It....really is, sadly. I really want to be wrong but unless 2020 really shakes things up then the Switch is already on its way to following similar pitfalls that plagued Nintendo consoles without major third party support.

Can we at least admit that 3DS era Pokemon games are objectively the worst of the mainline games?

>Barely bought any games last year
>Only bought ports/remasters of games I haven't played this year
I don't fucking get it, how did they have such a good year with all the proper support they need and still manage to fall in the exact same pitfall again.

No, despite everything of recent at least the shit streak hasn't been going for almost 20 years.
I can't even say I feel bad for Sonic fans because they know what they're getting at this point.

No, the joke is just not funny enough to stretch out for five months

Attached: 1485416375835.png (207x197, 59K)

pepe le frog is epic XD
he's so funny he's my favourite meme
praise kek and fuck nonwhites!

pokemon is a game for children
I'm not saying that because its objectively bad, but the gameplay is so simple its for kids. I replayed the old games (Emerald specifically) and they were boring as fuck because of how brain-dead easy they were.
Its like seeing those cartoon reviewer guys trying to dissect a toddler's show and treating it like there's some sort of da vinci code hidden inside or there's a deeper meaning in it.

Not trying to pull the "MATURE GAMES FOR MATURE GAYMERS LIKE ME" shit, but I just get confused when people sperg out about pokemon being ruined.

Attached: 1554256621395.jpg (2048x620, 750K)

When people say they want an "Adventure 3", they obviously have their own hopes and desires based on the previous entries, they don't actually believe that if Sega took something like Forces and slapped "Adventure 3" it would automatically be kino, although the current state of Sonic Team does make me question if they can pull an Adventure 3 off well. Also, Takashi Iizuka was the director of Adventure 2 and he still works at Sonic Team, he doesn't have the most power there but he's currently the figurehead.

Attached: 1553039093950.jpg (799x1000, 133K)

Attached: 1554188573023.jpg (2462x3283, 637K)

Attached: 1551499936227.png (554x873, 367K)

I like the blonde. She deserves a main role and big tits.

Attached: 1551437454202.png (639x603, 198K)

>tumblr has been dead for so long now people can't tell the difference between twitter format and tumblr format

I'm not sure. Looks like you and I are too retarded to find something in the archive even when several post numbers are clearly visible in the imaage.
I hope someone comes and links us the thread.

Recent Pokemon games are safe and easy but at least they're functional video games

They are almost the same thing now and it is really sad.

>Pokemon is a phonegame series with an attached shovelware game.
0/10, apply yourself.

I'm not interested in new Sonics or new Pokemon games, but at least I can make fun of the new Sonics and enjoy analyzing every point of why I don't like them. New Pokemon is just boring. It's like every aspect of its design unironically has no soul; it's developed purely for marketability to its casual audience and nothing else. There's nothing interesting about that. Nothing to laugh at. Nothing to analyze. It's just boring for a very simple, boring reason. I still care about the Sonic series, even if the extent of my care is just to laugh at it or think about why it's so disappointing. I don't think about Pokemon games at all. Tell me, which one sounds worse to you?

Attached: tenor.gif (498x280, 1.13M)

>But ever since the move to 3D its been a steady decline where each game is worse than the previous one.
If you think either Alola game is a mediocre as XY, you are lying to yourself and everyone around you.

>has no taste
>makes stupid uneducated claims
>WICH SOWND WERZ?
You sound worse.

>how did they have such a good year with all the proper support they need
because they sabotaged the last two years of the wii u with constant game droughts in order to set up that first year for the switch.

They are all try hard trash

It doesn't help that a lot of the grievances levied against newer Pokemon games only matter if you're waist deep into it. You will notice if the dialogue scenes longer, if NPCs deliberately hand you more stuff, and if there are any new mini-games involved. But beyond that, since the games are ultimately very easy, linear JRPGs whose meta game is certainly not for everyone, you won't necessarily notice that the worlds have gotten even more linear, how much EVEN easier some of these changes make the games, or care whether or not extra battle challenges are included. When they experience that takes up most of your time is that simple, you don't really bother with the details. The Ruby/Sapphire remakes in 2014 ended up cutting a number of corners, and the closest thing we got for an answer was that almost no one cared about the biggest omission.

Attached: 1537282135871.jpg (406x479, 59K)

i disagree, unlike the wii u which had at best 2 games per year, Switch is still getting more first party,
>NSBUD
>Yoshi
>Now Mario Maker 2
which is less than 2017, 2018 but more than Wii U's later life, albeight, ports from a dead console nobody owned

funnily enough, you can say that the Switch isn't having the same issues considering it's been having more Third Party support than the Wii U. From Indie games, to Big Publishers.

The new mechanics in SM were worthless like they were trying too hard to ape Yokai Watch.

>you can say that the Switch isn't having the same issues considering it's been having more Third Party support than the Wii U.
it's getting old shitty ports for the most part. the wii u likely would have gotten the same level of third-party support if it didn't flop.
the bigger issue is that nintendo's first-party output has been downright pathetic on the switch.

Pokemon is a world wide phenomenon. Even the bad games still get crazy sales numbers.

I agree that they are getting more quality first party games but the droughts are starting to be extremely distracting. You would think there would be at least a solid first party game every other month, even if they are eshop exclusive, but not really.

Post scottish trainer porn.

Most normies seem fine with Pokemon.

It's just mainly that GF seems to be trying their hardest to make the main game as difficulty free as possible for as much of the game as possible.

>Guzma battle in Sun and Moon
>two Pokemon
>Guzma rematch in Sun and Moon
>two Pokemon
>Plumeria has two Pokemon both times you fight her
>both of them have five Pokemon suddenly in the endgame

They could've at least started with three, desu.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, user. I understand you're very passionate about these series, and it's difficult to see others criticize them.

Can Masuda visit germany please? I want a beer Pokémon.

No.

Attached: ss+(2019-06-03+at+09.51.33).jpg (618x568, 68K)