What do you think of Super Paper Mario Yea Forums? It seems to be the least-discussed entry

What do you think of Super Paper Mario Yea Forums? It seems to be the least-discussed entry.

Attached: super paper mario.jpg (1280x1797, 272K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4H3ZSBxdOFo
youtube.com/watch?v=mXUHXQ8c_RE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Barely above sticker star as the worst game in the series.

unironically a great game, but zoomies that had their childhood in the gamecube era hate it because its "not muh thousand door"

>amazing OST
>good story
>good villains
>diverse worlds
>2d to 3d gimmick is well-utilized and entertaining for the entire game
>platforming elements are good
>good amount of side things (pit, optional pixls, recipes, etc.)
>ability to play as mario, luigi, peach, and bowser adds variety to gameplay

>but zoomies that had their childhood in the gamecube era
The Gamecube is eighteen years old, doofus. It's likely older than you are.

It has amazing moments and some terrible moments. Overall a good game though with a kino soundtrack

It sucks, I hate it.

Second best game behind 64. Dimentio was great, and the whole game was pretty creative. Especially in the settings, Francis' fort, the underwhere and overthere, whoa zone.
And there's a lot of little twists and stuff that keep the story from getting stale. Plus you finally get to play as luigi and bowser and peach.
And there's a post game for once. Also Bowser and Peach actually got married

i'm 25, and my point still stands btw

N64 - 8/10
TTYD - 9/10
SPM - 7/10
SS - 3/10
CS - haven't played and probably never will

No it doesn't, you are objectively incorrect. SPM sucks, 64 and especially TTYD are the greatest ever. Suck my wilkins user.

I'm 34. Super Paper Mario was shit.

Pretty amazing despite not following the last 2 games. The rpg elements with the platforming was pretty nice, plus it was fun messing around with items and listening to the music.

i hated it

>unironically a great game, but zoomies that had their childhood in the gamecube era hate it because its "not muh thousand door"
This shit happens with pokemon and hoennbabbys too

Great game. The first two are better, but SPM is still a solid entry. Sticker Star and Color Splash are shit.

>super paper mario sucked
>doesn't give a reason why
nice

How were either the rpg elements or the platforming nice? It's so slow it's like it's tailored for 4 year olds.

it's good. far from perfect but also far from terrible. god tier OST
youtube.com/watch?v=4H3ZSBxdOFo

based, here is one of my favorite vg tracks of all time. it's just so bizarre and harmonically complex. the composers for this game were truly something else youtube.com/watch?v=mXUHXQ8c_RE

The game feels neither good at being an rpg or a platformer

pixls would've been better if they were referenced
didn't like how most characters in flip/flopside were made out of distinct geometrical shapes, kinda felt worse in comparison to the distinct races and species of TTYD and 64
different playable characters was good
still a solid six or seven out of ten

So literally just like the previous two games? Are we pretending Paper Mario wasn't always utterly slow rpg gameplay for babies now?

*were SOLELY made, goddammit

>It's so slow it's like it's tailored for 4 year olds.
>nintendo game
user I...

The previous games didn't dress up platforming as combat.

Color Splash is the worst by far

>not having turn-based combat makes paper mario bad
and here it is, only took 25 replies

Color Splash and Sticker Star are both good games. They just aren't as good as the first 3.

SPM had a better story but the gameplay was much worse.

Also the pixl partners were uninteresting.

If SPM was done with traditional rpg fightan it would've easily been the best.

You can have whatever argument you want if you pretend to be both sides. The combat is glaring, but far from the game's only flaw.

>Great story
>Quite humorous at times
>Memorable characters
>Great music, some being shower humming-worthy
>Nice artstyle
>Great variety of well-designed worlds; no two are alike
>All playable characters have unique and useful abilities
>Swapping between characters is near instant
>Plenty of optional collectibles for those who like that kind of thing
>The secret arcade was fun as fuck, albeit having only 5 minigames
>All of the Pixels, except the music note, had significant utility. If they weren't generally useful, they had a significant portion where they shined.
>Very little filler. Locations are generally small and almost always have something of value in them, be it enemies, story, a joke, collectibles, etc.

But wait, what's this?

>The combat isn't turn-based.

It's trash. 0 stars.

They didn't, thanks for the astute observation. Not sure what it has to do with the fact that the series has always had slow and baby tier gameplay though.
Honestly it's sped up considerably with spm platforming, just by virtue of not spending time dropping you into battle environment with every little encounter.

wtf. this game is fucking 12 years old.

I played it when I was 13 and I literally cried because it sucked so bad and I spent $60 of christmas money on it

Then explain why you mouthbreathing retard.

Sticker Star is shit and I just can’t play it. I tried but it’s just so garbage compared to the first 3. And I’m someone who likes a lot of shitty games like Sonic Forces and Saints Row 3

It was good for what it was. I enjoyed it
The best thing about SPM by far though is that it inspired Phil Fish to throw himself into the hands of the masses with a shitty knockoff, ending in his much-deserved destruction complete with a twitter tantrum

Meant to reply to

Yea Forums in a nutshell

The art is hideous, and I'm an autist for things like that. Hated it then and still don't like it now.

I can't believe no one has even made a mockup of how that would look like

what are the flaws?

based

>>Very little filler
>What is Merlee's mansion and chapters 4-1 to 4-3 and 5-1 to 5-3

Ended up dropping it halfway through. Didn't mind the change in gameplay as much as I hated how low effort it felt at times.

The only actual flaw I can think of with this game is that the 3D enviroments are empty and barebones as hell.

merlee's mansion was based
the space area was pretty fun
the cragnon area, fine i'll give that to you

It has a lot going for it and is underrated, but it's still not as good as 64

>Nice artstyle

The terrible character designs are likely what lead miyamoto to tell tanabe to stick to mario characters

based. i'm in the same boat
the thing with that kind of artstyle is that the designs themselves actually need to be cool, and they need to be able to stand on their own outside of that artstyle. patapon did it right, because the character designs were legitimately appealing and would look good even outside of the artstyle. SPM did it horribly wrong; they seemed convinced that said artstyle would completely carry the character design, which it didn't.

Attached: patapon-remastered-screen-02-ps4-us-16jun17.jpg (1920x1080, 252K)

I love it. Different from the other paper mario games, but even on its own it was great. Full of charm and a solid recommendation for anyone looking for something to play.

Every character outside of the main cast were horribly designed.
Then you had the main cast which had god tier designs. Bleck's design is so good. It has some strange mix of minimalism and complexity. Like his default stance is minimal but then he spreads his cape out and it's complex. Fun stuff.

Attached: 1546880992498.jpg (444x617, 38K)

I find it ironic that it's always the turn-based autists that are the most retarded.

It has a part where Mario and friends die and go to Hell and have to fight their way back out. 8/10 because the hub world was shit and there was too much dialogue between main chapters.

remember that all decisions were based on japanese only surveys that really few people answered to in a service that was shut down for being unreliable

will never be considered good because it isn't TTYD

Garbage just like everyone after TTYD

can't we have both? someone should remake SPM in a TTYD hack

>Original fans hate it
>Uses a format I love and never get to play because nobody makes them
>Is shit regardless so I hate it too
The sticker gimmick ruins the game. How's Color Splash for people that liked the adventure game thing sticker star was going for?

Attached: 1200px-Paper_mario_sticker_star_box-art.png (1200x1065, 2.01M)

it's better because it has more focus on "characters/story" still really minimal compared to other games of the series, but the gameplay is actually worse, it's essentially the same but slower

I fucking LOVE patapon

Would you hire this maid, anons?

Attached: DzU6bhVUYAAvLAK.jpg orig.jpg (1346x1216, 123K)

Fuck no.

Attached: MimiMonster.jpg (800x445, 35K)

Excellent game.
It's just not really a Paper Mario game.

user, this is the zoomer paper mario. This was the first paper mario game I played and is still one of my favorites.

I know you're using the shitpost format there but it's just a different kind of Paper Mario game. Doesn't make it any less of a Paper Mario game.

Color Splash was better than Sticker Star, at least. The boss fights still kinda sucked with some exclusions, but the environments, music and plot were 10 times better. If you suffered through Sticker Star you owe it to yourself to get the taste out of your mouth.

better than 64, equal to TTYD

the only good fights in CS were the minibosses where the game lets you use any card, but the bosses were a pain since the thing is now required and pretty much instantly kills them
Even if SS berated you for it at least you have the option to brute force the bosses

Attached: avoidthegame.png (554x396, 446K)

People say TTYD is overrated, but TTYD is great enough to deserve most of it's praise. SPM is the most overrated Paper Mario game, going by the idea that overrated means "treated as having more worth than it actually has"
No, the writing and soundtrack don't make up for the mind numbing gameplay, which somehow has worse padding issues than TTYD. Even then, the writing and soundtrack are overall merely okay, and vary hard in quality. For every standout segment in the game (Chapter 3), you have something subpar to even it out (Chapter 5)

Attached: 1556065369312.jpg (576x596, 49K)

>worse padding issues than TTYD
you've got to be fucking kidding me

I wanted to fuck that spider girl.

It's not discussed because it isn't a Paper Mario game, but is good unlike the rest of the trash which is fun to shit on.
Still ugly as fuck though.
I'm tired of this disingenuous bullshit.
We could be pedantic retards and insist "Pokemon Rangers is just another Pokemon game", but everyone fucking knows what Pokemon is. You can't just remove the RPG mechanics and training Pokemon then insist it be regarded the same.

I'd be completely fine if Super Paper Mario had its own series of consistent quality instead of the IP going completely down the shitter, but there should be absolutely no fucking confusion surrounding the essence/expectation of Paper Mario gameplay unless, like everyone loves to accuse, you simply weren't born in time and experienced the later games first.

Highly underrated honestly. It's a lot of fun if you aren't a dickhead that goes "WHY ISN'T THIS THE SAME GAMEPLAY AS TTYD?! FUCK NINTENDO!!!"

It's not an amazing game, but it is a very good game as its own thing.

>siiiiiiiip... hey, do the rest of you guys remember partners?

Attached: SPM_Boomer.png (1024x1708, 481K)

Fuck no sticker star was the worst mario game I have ever played

what pisses me off is that they had a chance to bring them back but instead we get cards that can't even be used in boss fights and die in one hit
should have never even added those in

Attached: 76d.png (297x1600, 828K)

a shit point, sure

don't forget the chain chomp partner

Attached: 1503571168719.png (1197x1073, 1.5M)

Sticker Star was barely even a game

You're the one doing pedantic bullshit. When you say it's "Not a Paper Mario game" what you're saying is "It's not like the other Paper Mario games".

As far as Paper Mario is... a game about Mario being made of paper, it fits. It's still an rpg. The only thing that changed was turn based vs platformer.

Look where sticking with turn based rpg's got the series. I don't give a fuck if they change the gameplay genre as long as it's a good game.

As a bing bing wahoo fanboy, even I cannot agree with this dogshit opinion

I came to a realization about this game recently, it's literally the Majora's Mask of Mario.
>total deviation from the formula
>game revolves around trying to stop the apocalypse
>unusually dark for the series
>people either love it or hate it, but it has a really dedicated fanbase

the issue was not sticking to turn based, it was changing it too much when there was no reason to
paper mario was estabilished with the first 2 games, but they saw the need to change the franchise instead of creating a new one and that fucked up the balance of everything

adding to this, super and the way it changed stuff also broke down on the developer level since the old devs were all replaced by new ones which led to the rise of sticker mario

You can go even further to compare the deku-goron-zora transformations to the peach-bowser-luigi switching. Peach and deku and bowser and goron are even similar in function.
Zora doesnt have any similarities to lugi aside from being tall and slim I guess?

Bowser isn't really like Goron Link at all aside from being powerful. The whole point of the goron form was to go super fast, whereas Bowser is slow as molasses without the platform pixl.