ITT: Genres that used to be popular but are now dead

ITT: Genres that used to be popular but are now dead

Attached: might-and-magic-vii-for-blood-and-honor_12.png (640x480, 321K)

I liked those blobbers or whatever people call them these days too but they really only existed due to the hardware limitations of the time.

I tried that game this year and it was boring as FUCK
No idea how you put up with it
Im 32 by the way, I just grew up with consoles

What killed RTS games?

Attached: red_alert2_bemutato_03.jpg (800x600, 791K)

They were perfected and there was nowhere else to go with them.

DOTA

What the fuck are these bootleg voxels and sprites, the war factory looks cool though

Starcraft 2.
The genre became gookclick and SC2 could never live up to Brood War.

you were supposed to find a bow trainer and play it likes its Doom for the opening hours before your characters gain enough levels to play the game normal

>What killed RTS games?
RTS games

Nothing? The genre just got stale and generic. Everyone just move out of it since nothing unique came out anymore.

Doom clones

Nowadays they're almost all COD clones.

Attached: Screenshot-7.png (800x600, 107K)

Whens the last time we even had a CoD clone?

>COD clones
>nowadays
Not in the last seven years

>might and magic VII
but OP FPS games still exist.

First person flying/space shooters

Used to be a fuckton of them around, now there's only a few series producing anything.

why did RTSs switch to squad-based units as opposed to individual infantry?

I think in general there's not that large of a market for them and while not particularly the same Eve still has that market cornered

Embracing the multifags and abandoning singleplayer campaigns.

Attached: RTS in memoriam.jpg (1280x720, 382K)

Vehicle combat games. They were quintessential 90s. Dunno why they died, but the reboots like the PS3 Twisted Metal felt lacking compared to its progenitors.

Attached: 71fOa9DacML._SX342_.jpg (342x306, 29K)

unironically dota. dota first took over wc3 custom games, then the world

MMOs, thankfully
Tycoon games, sadly

members only

textadventures

Not enough strategy, too small scale and was all about individual speed. Real war strategy in life is much better.

seriously people are so lazy to create a narrative and scenarios. its easier to just say hey play with each other but multiplayer against people you dont know just isnt as fun as people make it out to be

>MMOs
Replace by mobage.
>Tycoon games
Replaced by shitty indy games.

autistic APM fags killed the genre

AHA!

This really.

Ensemble Studios really mastered telling a grand old tale in RTS. Haven't seen anything like it since then

Don't expect AoE4 will have a story that compares with is predecessors.

WW2 FPS was a huge genre 15 or so years ago but got saturated. CoD4 was probably the turning point. it really was overdone but by now it could maybe be fun again. last 3 digits is how many times I've liberated carentan

They focused on quality over quantity. This is good. Development time is also longer for some reason even though it's not for gameplay reasons.

Why do people always post RA2 mods?

i loved might and magic 6-8, but the "new" ones fucking suck, they tried to copy the old grid based crap god damn it.

Attached: 1554354153611.jpg (509x382, 38K)

That's not a mod, it's a pre release image from the game's beta.