This makes people angry for some reason

This makes people angry for some reason.

Attached: iu.png (800x480, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.libretro.com/t/input-lag-compensation-to-compensate-for-games-internal-lag/15075
youtu.be/TlDYcXv9yM0?t=1796
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It does?

They're too lazy/stubborn/dumb to figure out the UI. Its gold once you do

To be fair theres some really unintuitive andnflat out baffling decisions with where they placed certain options and settings

RA doesn't make people angry but SP does

>Retroarch for MAME

Attached: 7dc.jpg (533x354, 39K)

No thanks, I'll stick to mednafen.

if it didnt do retarded shit with my Xbone controller when i try to play N64 games it'd be fine

Disable autoconfig

For some reason GBA games look like they run at a smoother framerate on Retroarch w/ mGBA core than they did for me on standalone mGBA, even if they both run at 60 FPS. Normally I prefer standalone emulators, but the former looks smoother than an anime girl's tits so I use that despite trying to do what I can with mGBA. And my PC isn't exactly a piece of shit, either.

Attached: do i really.png (499x550, 21K)

MAME's GUI is trash, that's like the only reason to use it in the crappy libretro form.
Based and redpilled
Stop sucking endrift's dick, stop browsing reddit and use VBA-M standalone or Mednachad which has the same core anyways.

Attached: basednafen.png (652x631, 124K)

Can't you just use mednafen cores in retroarch? And then get the benefit of runahead and hard GPU sync for input delay reduction? All the mednafen cores works really well in my experience

Until standalones get a runahead equivalent then I feel like retroarch is mandatory

I personally just don't have time anymore to figure out how it works. I bought an iPega Red Knight for my phone and it's been sitting there for 3 months now because i haven't figured out how Retroarch works.

Work and university combo is hell.

Attached: h76c71caboz21.png (916x1547, 1.14M)

>stop browsing reddit

It's a good thing I never started to begin with, then.

>bloated trash
>unsuable menus
>dont know what the fuck is going on

>download core
>launch rom with core
>set core options
>set video settings
>save core preset
Done. I dont understand why people have such a hard time with it

The 2 main reasons are:

1. Nonstandard configuration. Its setup is not the same as other emulators, it's not a mouse friendly UI (instead it's meant to be controller with a controller), the defaults are a little bit stupid and people refuse to stop being fucking ducklings

2. The people involved in the project aren't the nicest people

I would say a third one is that some cores are unmaintained properly or not as good as standalone, but it's not enough for everyone to make a big deal about it. In contrast, RetroArch has many advantages:

1. Supports CHD for many platforms
2. No need to even bother with binding config if you play the popular stuff with popular controllers
3. Per core / per game configuration despite that for everything that can be actually configured (so you can have a specific game run on opengl with an overlay, specific bindings, specific hotkeys or controllers, specific shaders...
4. Did I mention shaders? There's a fuckton and many already decent presets, some of them with plenty of options
5. There's like 10 different options designed specifically so you can lower input lag and if you have a decent computer there's no other current emulator that can match it
6. Nowadays it takes nothing to learn how to use it, I don't understand how there's so much trouble with downloading a core and using "load content"

Only standalone emulator I use aside from it is MAME, because the RA MAME core is just outright inferior. Everything else I would rather not deal with (no options for smooth vsync on a 120hz display, next to no options to lower input lag, stuck with either opengl or dx9, have to stick with one set of bindings for every game on one platform...)

Knowing some of the people who complain, they'd be even alright with the video settings by default, so it's even less understandable.

I dunno, default has vsync and bilinear filtering on. RA defaults are really kind of bad, you have to at least go though video settings.

what do you want out of your GUI? do you want a zsnes gui with cool epic graphics? mame lets you set all the fucking global settings, you can filter the machines, theres per-game settings, plugin menus, what more do you need?

>runahead and hard GPU sync
Stop falling for memes. The sync is a useless CPU cycle waste. Runahead is also useless for almost all games, and a even bigger hog.
Only reddit recommends mGBA, especially in libretro. That shite can't even use multiple GBA palettes and you're encouraged to mimic them with GLSL filters, all this while endrift floods himself and his stupid solar sensor in a land of shilling and upboats on r/emulation.
It's meant to pander to zoomers and console friends. It took me days to understand how it works and babysit its problems with Xorg and desmume-git and why the relevant settings are cryptic and hidden in wrong places à la Higan. Only real use is for the nice integration with libretro which cuts bloat from the likes of citra and other cores.
>Go to User Interface
>Threaded Tasks - Perform tasks in a separate thread.
Any reason for it to be there and not Latency or something?
>Go to Onscreen Display to adjust the FPS overlay
>Display Framerate is in Onscreen Notifications, not Overlay.
I don't understand how someone can fuck up a GUI this badly.

Attached: mo.jpg (600x524, 43K)

Vsync by default is a must on 60hz displays at the very least. Tearing on 3D games is mostly not much of an issue but on 2D games is jarring, unless you're one of the weird people who don't notice. A bit of input lag (that can luckily be mitigated in different ways) is not worth removing by making the image tear in half when playing literally anything that scrolls.

File Edit View Tools Help and a nice black screen

>Runahead is also useless
Lol. It's absolutely required for all cores that support it, and makes stand alone emulators impossible to go back to. It's the single biggest emulation breakthrough in recent years. Getting CRT AMD native hardware levels of responsiveness is a game changer. It's the very first thing I fiddle with when setting up emulators

As someone who's pretty sensitive to input delay I have no clue how anyone could disregard it

i never had any problems with the menu, what is this meme

>Stop falling for memes. The sync is a useless CPU cycle waste. Runahead is also useless for almost all games, and a even bigger hog.
I'll give you Hard GPU sync is not the most noticeable thing, but Runahead useless? Either:

1. You didn't try it and are just outright throwing shit without understanding what it does
2. You can't somehow perceive any differences in input lag somehow between any display, any platform, any emulator or even any controller

Retroarch has exclusive full screen, lower latency options, optimised for g-sync, etc, it makes sense

Maybe if you played only on real hardware for a long time and got VERY used to it. CRT +Keyboard is all you need on any emulator. I mean how can you even feel a sub ~10ms delay and say it's worth strangulating your CPU for a mere NES game.

huh? retroarch doesn't have that either, and how is it so hard to type the name of the game you want and press enter?
you're right though, i like fiddly win32 UIs where you are toggling full screen and going scrolling through a file browser with a rom list exceeding 30000-something files.

Why would you take that over the comfort that Beetle offers you?

For some reason my computer with a Radeon R9 290x is terrible at emulating Gamecube games or even N64 games.
There's always input lag and gamecube games crash or are low framerate.

The menu has always felt very unwieldy, since it's designed for controllers but packs the customizability level of desktop software. Thankfully that's being adressed with the desktop GUI.

stop being contrarian like
y
i
k
e
s

yeah like I said, you didn't try it. Not anyone can notice hard gpu sync, everyone, even you, can definitely notice something like runahead at a setting of 2. Please do try.

the GC & N64 emulators for RA suck, use Dolphin for GC/Wii

Everything makes people angry, are you new in the internet? RA is fine, there's more people praising it than hating it.

Runahead with a setting of 2 (which is what I use for most games) is essentially reducing input delay by 32ms. That's two whole frames. And if you can't feel the difference in that then I dont know what to tell you.

Also my CPU can handle runahead all the way up to PS1 (usually. It does shit itself when using the analog stick). That includes GBA and even Saturn to am extent

By the way I just realized some people might experience input lag even with that enabled thanks to Windows 10. Make sure that you're disabling fullscreen windowed -and- fullscreen optimizations, if you try.

how do I go through retroarch's file browser quickly? that's my only gripe

R1/L1 scroll by letter. Left and right scroll by page, and up and down scroll one at a time. You can also type and search for something directly

Just tried both of them right now in Castlevania Dracula X with bsnes mercury performance. Same shit except with that warp juddering crap which comes from using more than 1 frame. Get real.

reminder that runahead is hacky and in fact less accurate than hardware and that perceived input latency is brought about from poor input handling and video output and actual game logic

BizHawk, Mednafen, higan and OpenEmu are all much better multisystem emulators than retroshit.

Anyone around knows any place with overlays? There should be a booru for that shit. Not everyone emulates on fullscreen with 4:3 displays and fuck black borders.

>download emulator
>works fine
>download same emulator core in retroarch
>doesn't work

that's the reason.

Is there anyway I can take OpenEMU's library system and put that onto RetroArch? OpenEmu has pretty nice gui but is stuck on a macbook while Retro is pretty good but stuck with a shit UI.

You are entirely incapable of explaining how it's hacky and why it's less accurate.

This makes Retroarch users angry for some reason

Attached: emulaters.png (990x650, 151K)

Then you screwed something up somewhere. Works on my machine ;)

Also the setting is game dependent. Try 2 with something like Super Mario World

Not me. I like using an anti-dithering filter on some games.

>Metal Slug with CRT-Royale shaders at 4k
Fucking gorgeous

I prefer crt shaders :)

Attached: Super Mario World (USA)-190603-183746.png (1881x1440, 2.65M)

I hate the GUI, and also im autistic so I like one emulator for each console.
But can Understand that some people want all their stuff togheter in one place.

The problem is that like 85% of devs are turning their support to individual emulators and becoming Retroarch tards.

>bsnes performance
oh nononono get a load of this cpu-let

Doesn't look like a CRT

Meh it's not very great, but I use it on ps3 out of convenience.
On pc, I'll just use separate emulation programs. But usually I play on the original hardware if possible.

Not that user, but Beetle fucking chugs on my i7 laptop while Mednafen works perfectly fine.

>warp juddering crap
If you mean the character almost warping around the place, it's a per game setting. Some games can even tolerate 6 fucking frames (street fighter games on FBA are specially noticeable). Mario games with a setting of 2 are optimal, megaman X might not. But it's not like RA doesn't have per game config overrides (and in most cases even 1 frame is definitely better, unless you're on a freaking laptop and you need to have something heavy running in the background).

Super Mario Bros 3 on NES / Aria of Sorrow on GBA I refuse to play without runahead, no matter how "hacky" it is. When you notice mario has had a few too many fucking lasagnas without it, you know it works.

its entirely faster than real hardware. that is less accurate.
its hacky because it literally is. it abuses the fuck out of save states and runs multiple emulator instances to do shit ahead of time, it can break.

Not him, but definitely looks better that way, i hope one day we will get an accurate CTR filter.

RA is really frustrating since it has several features that are extremely good (multiple low latency improvements, good net play, etc, etc) but the UI is fucking awful, and is a massive pain to navigate on PC.
I really want to use it but I really hate it.

I run Higan in 60-75 fps for the SNES core. But as i said i'm not wasting electricity for that dumb accuracy meme your friends on r/emulation and emugen are parroting.

I set up Pokemon fire red on my friends Android in like 2 minutes and showed her how to use it. I don't understand how people have trouble using it.

>use an unmaintained piece of shit core that hogs CPU
>complain about CPU hogging features

MAME already has that
MAMEUI
It's been the quazi official UI for like 20 years.

Unfortunately it's not physically possible to get a good CRT filter.

I've never seen it break so I'm not seeing a single downside there. Runahead is a net positive if you can use it.

Why go through headaches with emulators when almost none of them have proper clock speed or latency? I'd rather just buy the original games and play that

Not till you get to around 8k resolution is what some estimates put it at to accurately emulate the look of NTSC color banding properly (under high enough of a DPI that visually you can't tell the difference going to a higher res then 8k). So we'll probably not see that happen for a while.

>20+ year old plastic clutter vs an executable on your PC
Tough sell, m8.

The hog is the runahead. Bsnes performance is so good it almost runs at full speed on my pentium 4

I collect vintage games and I can tell you two main problems people would have with collecting physical:
1) Where am I going to put all this shit and
2) Why are these old games so goddamn expensive holy shit

Sure it is, you just need 8k. Hell, CRT-Royale at 4k with the right settings is already really damn close

Not him, it breaks with many of the 16-bit multiplatform licensed crappy games (superhero related games, games with obnoxiously big sprites and such). So it breaks with shitty games, mostly. Megaman X games are a bit awkward with anything above 1 but that's about it.

>almost none of them
t. played zsnes and epsxe once and declared all emus bad

Literally only BSNES does proper clock speed. The rest are all buggy or even unplayable

>Why go through headaches with emulators when almost none of them have proper clock speed
This isn't the 90s anymore man... Emulation for 8 and 16 bit anything is extremely accurate and has been for years (like more then a decade for most)
>latency
RA has resolved the issue for most systems, you can get lower input latency emulated in some situations then real hardware, yes you read that correct. This also helps to off set the added latency from LCDs.
forums.libretro.com/t/input-lag-compensation-to-compensate-for-games-internal-lag/15075
This has been fully implemented in RA for over a year, its the #1 selling point for using RA to me (even if the UI is fucking garbage)

>Emulation for 8 and 16 bit anything is extremely accurate and has been for years (like more then a decade for most)

Genesis emulation is still quite fucked up from what I see. Sprite scaling is so busted on so many emulators

>being 1 second behind for every 10 minutes with the benefit of perfect scrolling

I mean it's not cycle perfect but fuck it's so close that I'd take the 60hz downclock

There are many emulators where there is no perceptible difference for the end-user with original hardware, dinosaur.

>Sprite scaling is so busted on so many emulators
The fuck are you playing on? I haven't seen sprite scaling issues on a CD game or done in software on a stock Genesis in well over a decade.

Rocket Knight is fucked beyond belief when the chain stage comes on and so many emulators can't handle it

Accuracy is only truly required to get rid of glitches or unexpected negative behavior. If a game doesn't show graphics correctly, sounds a little bit weird or works at improper speeds, breaking game elements, then it's a problem. Once it's past that there's literally not a single issue. If I could get rid of slowdowns on games like Kirby Superstar and Earthbound on the original hardware, I would, and any sane person would as well. Sure some old games are easier with the slowdown (namely some shoot em ups, or Metal Slug 2 for instance) but sometimes accuracy is not pleasant and if the developers back then could, they would fix that, make it what you would call today "less accurate".

No, it's the literal lack of depth to the monitor that is holding it back. CRTs ignite a phosphor sheet but that phosphor sheet is separated by a metal grill and the electron beam which ignites it travels down a tube as opposed to being a flat wall of little lights. The very foundation of CRT shaders misinterprets the shadow mask as a flat surface that is merely distorted. It's the same science behind the fact that "flat" CRTs aren't actually flat.

Attached: lcd-vs-shadowmask.jpg (2048x1071, 768K)

I know this is more my problem than the emulator's, but for whatever reason my settings never seen to save properly on my phone and have to configure everything all over every time I want to play. And I don't like how I could drop my isos/roms on the root of my sd card and still have to go through seven directories to reach them

You don't seem to know what runahead does, so you think it's not a result of the core you chose.

???
youtu.be/TlDYcXv9yM0?t=1796

>buggy or even unplayable
t. played zsnes and epsxe once, read some article about compatibility on BSNES somewhere, and declared most emus bad

>download dedicated emulator for system
>no hitches
>download retroarch
>stutters like a motherfucker
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
the only reason this piece of shit exists is for easy porting to hardware no one gives a fuck about, like the PS3

You're using the wrong shaders lel

No, I'm using a real CRT.

Attached: Panasonic FT2700.jpg (1536x2048, 748K)

I don't know about the phone version, but the PC one had path configuration since its inception, so you could point at a starting folder. On PC settings save fine if RA doesn't crash (it used to do frequently, nowadays you actually have to actively try to fuck with it) and it mostly depends on text files being created with certain settings and such.

I'm going to guess on phone it requires quitting the application normally and not by force (not saying that's how you do it, but I know people that are used to that gesture on phones where you can hold back and it force closes an app) or maybe it's just shitty (which might explain why so many people dislike it, maybe they're using the mobile version)

Yeah.. enjoy playing with a big line going through your screen, lol!

Fuck, that angle makes it look rather flat.

RA will get you better results if you have time to fiddle with it. But thats apart of it's problem, you're basically required to fiddle with shit to get it working the way it should.
I usually stick with dedicated emulators or BizHawk most of the time.

That thing looks awesome

>shittiest UI ever created
>just a convoluted front end for actual emulators
Just download a real emulator.

I currently use LaunchBox with RA (I know I know, a frontend for a frontend). It makes the configuration pretty easy though, adding ROMs to it is a breeze, pretty decent scraping, I can choose whether I want to use vulkan or opengl with one core or another, it opens instantly on fullscreen at the right settings that I want for each core on each game... it's convenient enough that I don't mind it took me a bit longer to learn how to deal with RetroArch. I wish other emulators had all of these options. Some of them don't even open games directly (like a certain dreamcast emulator) and it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

Another thing I like about retroarch is being able to lower loading times a little bit on PS1 games. Though that's a mednafen setting too if I'm not mistaken.

No runahead, no thanks

lookin' good.jpg

For me it's the opposite

>Download dedicated emulator for system
>Enable vsync
>Monitor is not exactly running at the refresh rate that's requested by the emulator
>Every so often sound crackles a little or there's a stutter

>Download RetroArch
>Enable vsync
>It doesn't give a shit that the monitor is running at 59.95hz instead of 59.94, it still doesn't have a single stutter or crackle related to the display

I was complaining about this kind of shit almost exactly a decade ago. I tried a fuck of a lot of emulators, some more obscure and discontinued (like SNESGT or Regen) and RetroArch was a godsend.

Attached: EarthBound-190531-190322.png (1200x1050, 577K)