Mario & Luigi SSS Thread

Mario & Luigi SSS Thread

Attached: 23B1EF6E-7E41-4E1E-8E97-A4B7C221D151.png (1334x750, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NQEf2Cy_TlA
youtu.be/zOQGRrC7A_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Rr70dLy5yKg
youtube.com/watch?v=Nygo0LLcI3o
youtube.com/watch?v=wNay5uldi7I
youtube.com/watch?v=vCYLiuFET-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=mQn8seklAr0
youtu.be/6DIQeREx59k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3ds remake is objectively superior to the original in everyway but artstyle

can we all agree
SSS=BiS>DT>PJ>PiT

Pleb
I agree

Attached: 0F03FB85-9F5B-4D41-9635-593114ED2C52.jpg (1334x750, 132K)

Higher difficulty (surprising considering it's Nintendo), more balanced battle system, many QoL additions/fixes, more content.

Attached: 1456629836563.gif (400x400, 427K)

i liked pit the same as bis, bis was great but too short

Bis isn't quite that good and pit isn't quite that bad

I can fucking hear it still.

youtu.be/NQEf2Cy_TlA

Attached: 829F1736-DECF-45AE-A887-93F777BAB829.jpg (1024x683, 122K)

youtu.be/zOQGRrC7A_Q

makes me wish i could dance.
the last time i tried to move my body like that i looked like a fucking retard

Zoomers first Mario RPG

Imagine unironically still liking this game when Mario RPG and Geno exists

If Mario RPG was so great why isn’t there a Mario RPG 2?

not my fault you have such shit taste, user

Attached: 1539232161740.png (533x534, 203K)

SSS>BiS (except those boss battles where you had to rotate the DS, those were awful and almost made me break the screen)>PiT>DT

I didn't play Paper Jam, but from what I've seen it's not worth the time

Square betrayed Nintendo with Snoy

They’re buddies again so there’s no excuse.

>zoomers
Spotted the retard who’s trying hard to fit it. Nothing wrong with liking m&l sss you autist.

bis is longer than pit, what are you talking about?

Attached: ezgif-1-8e37b33bf827.gif (240x136, 647K)

I don't even think the 3ds artstyle is that bad but against the original? It's not a contest. Would of been nice to see an attempt to recreate the beanbean kingdom in full 3d though.

Damn, soulless remakes look like this?

The "soul" is there, it just went somewhere else...

Attached: 7B58FA11-ED14-40FF-B08E-F2D795EAEB87.png (1334x750, 2.27M)

From this...

Attached: 44A0BFD2-BB94-42B5-9088-106C3056D7BA.png (1334x750, 1.51M)

To this.

Attached: 3F87A5D0-6A00-433F-B03F-C39372B40E71.png (1334x750, 1.48M)

You can't trust women user

1/2

Absolutely adore SSS. For some reason I can't really get into the other games despite them superficially being so similar to SSS.

On the gameplay side, I think the pace of combat is better. Bros attacks are snappy and fast (outside of the fireball attack). I might be crazy, but I swear enemy HP is inflated in later entries which makes fights take a lot longer. By contrast, SSS often has you in and out of combat in a matter of seconds. This works wonders for the exploration.

The game itself is a fairly linear story, but bean Bean kingdoms layout is incredibly well-thought out and manages to feel bigger than it actually is, with tons of alternate routes and hidden paths off the beaten track that reward you with gear and moves - A design choice that stems from Bean Bean kingdom being a central hub and everything is laid out around it. Later entries take a more streamlined approach to their overworld maps that are functional, but lack the cohesiveness or intricate paths that plot Bean Bean fields.

Attached: sss.jpg (1920x1080, 473K)

Finally, I think the general atmosphere and brevity of the plot works better for the overall vibe of the game. Beanbean kingdom works great as a new location and serves the "fish out of water" jokes very well as you interact with its various denizens. Not taking place in the Mushroom Kingdom also allows the game to introduce more unusual pathos to the Mario lore. You get stuff like fighting a Somelier who brews soda by telling it jokes, learning fire and electric powers from a race of talking heads, hanging out with skeleton Donkey Kong, and just a shitton of other standout moments. The fact that the game seldom slows down to explain these but rather constantly moves you from one place to the next grants the game brevity and pacing - you never feel like you are twiddling your thumbs or that you are bored since the game is constantly throwing something new your way and never lingers too long on any one thing. The game isn't terribly long, but its absolutely packed with unique and fun locations and uses every hour effectively to entertain you. I'd argue SSS has some of the best pacing in a JRPG next to Chrono Trigger.

Attached: swoligi.jpg (320x320, 20K)

Attached: 1508004693896.jpg (480x360, 18K)

And of course, there is the matter of Mario and Luigi themselves; I've already said I enjoy the fish out of water comedy that emerges from the setting, but I think part of why that is so appealing is that Mario and Luigi themselves are on their own. There is no third wheel who constantly chimes in (I'm looking at you Starlow, you fucking mouthy bitch); The Bros. constantly interact with the denizens - but since they aren't given any text to work with, communication is instead made visually by wild gesturing and through jumbled faux-Italian.

This lends the dialouge a metric ton of charm and gives us some of the most hysterical jokes in the series, but it also helps the player empathize with them. In a similar way you would impose a personality on a mute character in another game, the Bros. visual reactions leave much to the imagination - They aren't actually saying anything, but you as a player get to fill in the gaps yourself. Stuff like Luigi poking Toad for a free badge during the tutorial or turning into a nervous wreck when he has to go alone to the ruins manages to emote a ton of personality without ever resorting to text.

On a side note, it also bothers the shit out of me how subsequent games keep having to re-teach you the spin jump as if the Bros. don't know it anymore. SSS would had jumped on the opportunity to do an amnesia plot by bonking Luigi on the head or something so he'd forget.

Anyway, I really enjoy SSS. While it'd be nice to see a sequel that manages to scratch a similar itch, I think modern Mario RPGs suffer from a flanderization and homogenity. Established characters in later entries feel far more like they are just filling a role because the plot demands it rather than organically growing into it. The lack of new locations or races to meet also makes later entries feel token. Ideally, I'd just like the RPG series to do what SSS and TTYD did; Take the old and familiar brand of Mario and use it in ways I don't expect.

Attached: wholesome.png (420x300, 9K)

Attached: 67487299-6B08-4A8B-8EDA-BD7B70544161.jpg (1024x2118, 339K)

>The lack of new locations or races to meet also makes later entries feel token.
Except Dream Team is in a new location on Pillow Island and did have new races with the Pillow people.

bump, i wanna give a constructive reply to the wall of text posts

>He didn’t play dream team

Your comments about new locations, races and character consistency is absolutely wrong
Dream Team does both of those, Bowser was fucking great because he carried his BiS personality

What do you guys hoping for with a possible M&L on switch?

The remakes atleast did 1 thing right and it was streamlining and getting rid of tutorials. So we know the next game won’t have the retarded criticism DT did

>that fucking Giant Luigi Vs. Giant Bowser boss fight as a whole

Name a more hype moment in Mario as a whole, I dare you.

Something involving the Wario Brothers would be cool, but at this point I'll take pretty much anything with original characters and locations. It's been around 6 years since Dream Team for fuck sake.

Attached: 6ed.jpg (251x251, 9K)

I look forward to it since they know what they are doing

I just hope faggot YouTube’s who use the remakes as an excuse to shit on the series as “franchise fatigue” don’t ruin it for us

i can mostly agree to this
can also agree mostly to this
>There is no third wheel who constantly chimes in (I'm looking at you Starlow, you fucking mouthy bitch)
starlow is not for bully, i liked her. for me she talked more officially when it was more important than just mario and luigi's goofy reactions (how we would even have the bowser interaction without her?).
>On a side note, it also bothers the shit out of me how subsequent games keep having to re-teach you the spin jump as if the Bros. don't know it anymore. SSS would had jumped on the opportunity to do an amnesia plot by bonking Luigi on the head or something so he'd forget.
there's really not much you can do about it and doing your thing will be just wasted time when most people dont care. its just a quick way to remind people with controls or for new players to get a grasp of the controls (the later M&L's way to solve this (which are these books with tips and tutorials that you get saved) might be a double edged sword since some people are fags and wont check in and then they will complain they dont know shit about the game).
to be continued

are you the same faggot in the other thread that thinks gba is zoomer
because if so fuck off idiot

>The lack of new locations or races to meet also makes later entries feel token. Ideally, I'd just like the RPG series to do what SSS and TTYD did; Take the old and familiar brand of Mario and use it in ways I don't expect.
i dont think its that possible and if most people want it. I think the way creators try to manage this is still a pretty good job, giving every game some sort of narrative/mechanical gimmick to give you a new experience (PiT had the babies, BiS had bowser as a playable character, DT had the whole dream world stuff, PJ had the paper mario and paper enemies/world mixed with M&L), so its still much better than they ever could do.
the problem now is that there isnt much stuff left to actually make a gimmick out of, except as said, give in the wario brothers. Wario is already a pretty personality rich character that is just begging to be put into a game like this, and waluigi unironically deserves much more spotlight than he ever got with the mario sports stuff (like goddamnit, hes already so long in all these mario sports games, he should already be viable for his own game).

Attached: 1517989739382.jpg (999x941, 198K)

Retard

We already know they don’t need to go hard on new gimmicks, Paper jam adding a third fighter was simple and great

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr70dLy5yKg

youtube.com/watch?v=Nygo0LLcI3o

Which one sounds better? And why is it the GBA version?

what do you mean?

i think the bowser's minions OST is just too bloated with fancy, modern sounds. GBA version is rather simple and catchy, but the remake just makes it sound like you are high af.

I’m talking about the new gimmick in the next Mario and Luigi.
Paper Jam added Paper Mario as a third playable character except it’s not segmented by itself like Bowser is Bis or Dreamy Luigi in DT.

Attached: CE0DC21A-3D69-43BF-99C8-E902199D3E07.jpg (416x504, 53K)

This is one of the few times the shitty instruments improve the track. It's clear that Yoko can't recreate the same charm the gba version had because she tried doing this twice (Paper Jam ver. and now the Bowser's Minions ver.)

You'd think after making the Jelly Sisters visibly thicker in the remake that there would be more lewds of them. Really depressing. They need more art.

even without the remake there should be. They are the best girls in the entire Mario series

oh alright i get it, you dont want a gimmick so big that it pretty much makes 2 separate worlds in the same game and instead enchances the experience on the world you are already on.
Both their pros and cons, but yeah, they shouldnt go too much for it.
They really need to make wario brothers inside a M&L game like either some rivals or frenemies that fight side by side, both having different moves.
also they should get back to the previous bros moves in SSS (every move was actually viable in SSS and was much nicer of an explanation to how they learn such moves (actually doing some effort learning with an NPC how something works like a hammer and then get a special move based on that item/technique instead of just shitty puzzle pieces or fucking individual items)).

The remake has plenty of soul ya birdbrained ninnies

Attached: Jojora 11.jpg (774x1032, 82K)

To be fair a few tracks are better in the remake
youtube.com/watch?v=wNay5uldi7I
youtube.com/watch?v=vCYLiuFET-Y

Swapping out those dooty brass/trumpets/whatever the fuck instrument is doing the main tune of the GBA version with some gay synth in the remake was a mistake.

I've only played SSS and DT but just installed CFW on my 3DS, should I get Paper Jam, BiS remake, or BiS original?

I just want a new game so Yoko can make new fucking music goddamn it.

She literally held off on using the piano for remaking BiS’s final boss and instead used it for Bowser Jr’s final Boss
youtube.com/watch?v=mQn8seklAr0

It's best just to ignore soul posters.

The soundtracks of the original and the remake are pretty even in my opinion. There is a fair share of songs I prefer in each version.

Play Paper Jam, it’s a nice normal RPG that’s only lacking in OC and Original settings
Play original BiS afterwards, if you don’t know shit about BiS, playing the remake is fine too

mario and luigi in kingdom hearts when

Faggot

Don't bother with the BiS remake. The utterly butchered framerate and loading times ruins the experience, especially coming from the original.

I'd go with the remake over the original BiS mostly because FUCK the microphone.

They really need to keep doing side stories like Jr's Journey.

Yes.

PiT is not a bad game, but they really got the less deep and interesting combat system in the entire series. Also, making a economy with the power ups reemplacing the brothers actions was a fucking bad a idea. Good for them to remove that from the later sequels.

BiS is near as good as SSS, its just that they have 1 or 2 shit minigames, and the gigant boss battles would have been better with the gamepad instead of tactile. But aside from that, combat system and bowser, and story-wise, were god tier.

Attached: 1534686681517.png (628x763, 472K)

Oh baby, that’s good

Shroobs sequel when

Okay what if next game is not even Mario related

I would like a M&L style DK or even Kirby game

You love Shroobs don’t ya? I love them too.

Attached: 2E9DF411-7D9D-486B-9832-0D31F5399E84.png (1334x750, 3.15M)

I would love a Mario & Luigi Wario & Waluigi Super Star Saga

>BiS remake added both princesses instead of just elder

Just return you goddamn purple mommies
Imagine being fucked by both, holy shit

Is there a patched version of the remake that restores the Popple battle theme to Fawful's fight? I know the OG Jap version used the Cackletta battle theme, but Popple's theme is 1000x better.

>Imagine being fucked by both
elder would probably break you.

The remake was inferior and the tacked on mode sucked hard.

In what way is it inferior beside artstyle?

I only agree with Bowser’s Inside story but Bowser Jr’s journey was great

SSS though, nah, it was just as great

I dont like how you cant save BP with hard bros moves anymore and the moves flow way better in the original

I don’t understand how BiS remake fucked up the entire point of the challenge medal

Super straight shota?

I gotchu covered senpai

Attached: 1502055366.shinysteel_jelly_sisters_done.jpg (927x1280, 154K)

Thank you!

Attached: 87F7ECC4-6DC7-458A-8298-B71E0E8BC884.png (694x656, 260K)

>27 years old
>played M&L SSS on GBA in elementary school
>zoomer game
nice try

>been wanting Bro Moves to come back in full SSS glory every new game
>it's always just repetitive item bullshit
>explicitly just can't get myself interested in a new game until I can find out if Bro Moves at least branch off into different Advanced outcomes
>mfw the SSS remake doesn't even make Advanced moves branch anymore, it's just an entirely separate fucking selection on the menu now
As petty as it may seem, this was the actual deal breaker to me for the remake. It's sort of like Majora's Mask 3D where I just don't see enough reasons to play it over the original while the remake changes enough shit that annoys me (character design swaps also bugs the shit out of me, but that goes without saying on here)

Attached: 1508612637504.png (484x458, 227K)

Mario has the deepest lore.

Too bad they removed it in the remake, fuck nu-Nintendo

Attached: 1447612789044.jpg (478x314, 39K)

It’s nice but i think they can make a good balance in newer games.

Paper Jam’s bros moves are much quicker and feel satisfying while having the retarded long bullshit on just trio moves

Imagine being shroobed

Attached: 6245782A-16E6-4D8E-9AE8-F2C019A62A65.jpg (800x900, 149K)

Hey I remember you from yesterday! You was the Op of the previous thread...

Attached: 6D88A0EA-DE1D-468D-B5D0-C594A86B3B5B.png (1334x750, 1.76M)

Was princess Shroob a sociopath?

Princess Shroob only wanted to get her BBW sister out and Destroy because that’s the only English word they know

Paper Jam is OK, though it is getting weird at points.

Attached: peachy selfcest.png (485x287, 198K)

According to Mario wiki & TvTropes, princess shroob was a sociopath. The younger sister, not the elder.

>Mario's legs are stretched out and relaxed
>Luigi's legs are bent and close to his body in a shy manner
Thats some good detail right there

Attached: 1442679355592.gif (200x200, 121K)

I thought it was just because Luigi is taller.

Attached: D4B55DF0-B247-428E-BC94-AC6DC28A1508.png (1334x750, 3.39M)

Attached: BDFA9716-0EE6-43D8-8701-F0A1F7275C0F.jpg (964x749, 193K)

we need more jellyfish pics, stat

Racial slur & hypocrite

Attached: A6161AFF-CE0F-4445-9139-783BA2BCC119.jpg (919x695, 170K)

Attached: 52A1140F-F489-4AFF-B2B0-8B15D9262904.png (697x599, 192K)

Okidokie

Attached: D0AC7DF6-F45B-42D2-A191-B108A1D94066.png (1224x1280, 1.14M)

Got this game as an early christmas present. I don't remember being sad on christmas when it came around and I didnt get any gifts.

Also, when Mario talked about Advance moves in-battle I had no idea what he was doing. I thought they were just randomly plugging the GBA in-game for some reason.

FPWP
Shit taste you underaged faggot
Superstar Saga DX is a prime example of a monkey paw-tier game gone wrong

What is it with aliens in Mario games and racial slurs?

Attached: do not mess with me, biped.jpg (1210x694, 109K)

Racism and feeling like a superior being.

Attached: A4EFEE3A-1603-4246-88EB-5E16E79BD3BE.jpg (933x749, 158K)

The fuck are you trying to say, you mumbling buffoon.

BiS>DT=SSS>SSS Remake=PiT>shit>BiS Remake>Paper Jam
Inside Story will always be the king for me. I always thought SSS was good, but a little overrated.
However, SSS will still always be infinitely better than Super Mario RPG, the most overrated Mario RPG.

See you nostalgiafag

I've played both back to back, the remake is objectively a sizable improvement.

oh wow you have trouble comprehending sentences

how is that my fault

Mario RPG is weaker than any of the M&L or Paper Mario games, and Geno was never an interesting character. I’ll never understand why genofags feel the need to rear their head where no one wanted, they’re such attention whores, not to mention a lot of them avatarfag.

What was the meaning of your post before you fucking retard.

They actually remade it correctly in their last game but for some reason to just reuse the song.

youtu.be/6DIQeREx59k

Agreed. I beat the whole game and didn't have fun almost giving up on the series but then I picked up PM64 and SSS and had a blast with both of them
>inb4 zoom zoom
SMRPG is one of the easiest RPGs and I've beaten much older ones no problem.

What the fuck this is perfect
Makes me wanna actually play Paper Jam

it was a good game that i'd gladly take as an early christmas present.

Can anyone give a rundown on why PiT is as hated as it is?
Sure the areas are linear and the babies are annoying but its still overall better than PJ and goes roughly even with DT

It's just incredibly dull and lacks much in entertaining characters or scenarios. Bro Items were such a big step down from Bro Moves, and bosses having too much hp for combat that just boils down to "spam your best bro items" It also tends to get more heat than the newer bland games since more people were still interested in the series coming from SSS, and most of said people had already given up and stopped paying attention by that point like me.

Attached: 1530833974621.jpg (252x252, 17K)

i think one of the main things is the bros items. self explanatory, bros ITEMS, they are very shitty.
its either too broken because you stock up on them and manage to kill all bosses with bro item spams, or annoying if you lose all of them and you are forced to use only normal attacks.

>my dumbass kid self thought that Rookie was Bowser's brother or something
I didn't realize that was a mask

>bros items
>short and linear
>HP sponge bosses
>lame puzzles for M&L standards
>overworld controls feel annoying and clunky even for M&L standards
>lackluster soundtrack compared to other M&L games
>worst battle system gimmick in the series yet

its perfectly fine thinking like this until you reach the moment where if i remember correctly rookie and popple get launched with the beanstar and then rookie roars that hes bowser
if you were young you probably missed that part
dont feel ashamed of it, its okay

I appreciate the game for the foundation it paved for better games but I despise the endless dicksucking it gets when up until recent years where there are games that are just straight up subpar it was the weakest game in both series.

I'll ask yet again. Does anyone have a Partners in Time save file from somewhere within the final castle? I found one that says it's right before the final boss but I don't know if I was that far. The last thing I remember was taking down a bunch of UFOs in a minigame