Sports game have always had to pay for licenses for using athletes' appearances, names, club names etc

>sports game have always had to pay for licenses for using athletes' appearances, names, club names etc
>sports organizations started abusing this and bumped the prices to those licenses sky high
>EA can no longer cover the costs of acquiring rights by sales alone, have to do all kinds of lootboxes
>lootboxes getting banned will sink EA's stock

Chad is truly our greatest ally. Will this new era see the return of fun sports games and possibly smaller studios make their own sports games with made-up names (like cars in GTA)? I'm sick and tired of two companies dominating the whole market.

Friendly reminder to short EA when this bill goes live.

Attached: 382794823.png (909x209, 131K)

>Shorting, or short-selling, is when an investor borrows shares and immediately sells them, hoping he or she can scoop them up later at a lower price, return them to the lender and pocket the difference.
I don't understand. How can you sell something you don't own?

when you buy a piece of stock you "own" a part of company. granted you will probably own 0.001% of company therefore you don't matter at all, but there are people willing to pay good price to own amount of stocks of profitable companies that lets them be more involved

Investopedia explains everything pretty nicely.

>A trader thinks that Amazon’s stock is poised to fall after it reports quarterly results. To take advantage of this possibility, the trader borrows 1,000 shares of the stock from his stock loan department with the intent to short the stock. The trader than goes out and sells short the 1,000 shares for $1,500. In the following weeks, the company reports weaker than expected revenue and guides for a weaker than expected forward quarter. As a result, the stock plunges to $1,300, the trader then buys to cover the short position. The trade results in a gain of $200 per share or $200,000.

In reality, your platform / broker does all of the work described here, you normally just open a long (buy) or short (sell) position and not worry about the details.

>Wimpy of the famous Popeye comic strip would have been a perfect short seller. The comic character was famous for saying he would "gladly pay next Tuesday for a hamburger today." In short selling, the seller opens a position by borrowing shares, usually from a broker-dealer. They will try to profit on the use of those shares before they must return them to the lender.

They'll just make it so you can purchase op shit without rng.

>sports games
And absolutely nothing of worth was lost.

It's basically like this user. I borrow stocks from you and sell them at current value X. In a few days when the stock goes down (keep in mind interest has to be paid when holding short positions, but we'll ignore that for simplicity's sake) I buy them back for value Y and return the stocks to you. I have made X-Y profit on the short position.

But how do you, as the stock owner make money? That's where the fees come in. While I have your stocks, I pay the interest on those stocks. It may not seem much, but when you're lending millions of stocks the cents add up.

This is what I don't get. People who play FIFA here for example aren't spending money on dlc, let alone shit like lootboxes. It's just eastern europe culture. And americans don't fucking care about "soccer" either so I don't see them even buying the base game. So who the fuck is making this a sucessful business models? That just leaves western europe. Is it germans? I bet it's germans, those fuckers have ruined europe for the third time in a 100 years for fuck's sake.

The latter half of your post clears up my confusion, thank you.

In PUBG Mobile the people with the stuff that would require opening thousands of dollars worth of crates are always either American, German, or from the Gulf States.

It's whales doing this shit. They are a very small percentage of players, I think it's under 10% of the entire playerbase, that make this shit profitable. They literally spend thousands on lootboxes every week.

Precisely why the "vote with your wallet" argument can't do shit. One guy can cover everyone who voted with their wallet and didn't buy the game and then some, so no message gets sent to the companies that "consumers don't want this". It's a futile struggle with no winners. Time to look for a new hobby I guess.

>I think it's under 10% of the entire playerbase,
Probably less than 1% for most games, yet they make them profitable anyway

No problem, financial mathematics is a fascinating thing.

>EA loses its yearly footie games
>normalfags have no reason to buy consoles
>consoles don't sell and die out
Thanks gamers. You've killed gaming just because you didn't want me to drop 200 bucks whaling for Summer alts of cute anime girls.

Good
Sport games need to die and stay dead for at least 10 years for industry to recover.

I miss nba street and mlb slugfest

They can still put a pricetag on things, instead of random loot boxes it will be packs with items in them, all they would need to do is split everything up and put things in fucking hunreds of different packs, like if 4 things work well together split them into 4 seperate packs filled with useless shite so it seems like players get more than the one thing they are actually after, and validating the pricetag. There is nothing to prevent them from making a single skin cost £20 if they fill a pack with 15 decals that are used as your profile picture.

EA is nothing if not persistent in its pursuit of ruining games to try and nickle and dime people, theyll find a way. I genuinely feel bad for developers under them, it is entirely by EAs hand that they must include this shit, and often completely break their vision of the game to do it.

Right but who's going to license these leagues if not EA? The leagues will need to lower their fees if they want to see any money.

not like EA has any intention to actually stop with those games regardless, they'll just find other means to get more money out of it

can start reconsidering license costs after they do quit, then they'll probably come back right away and not even 1 year will have passed and release the next Sport Game 20XX

YOU POSTED THIS THREAD ALREADY YOU FUCKING MORON

No, this is a finance thread.