When was the last time a game made you feel like you were on an actual epic journey?

When was the last time a game made you feel like you were on an actual epic journey?

Attached: 1559538894299.png (800x600, 393K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nPq-KrDe0
youtube.com/watch?v=A17oUv0E-N4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjPizNe4RM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the night elf girl is hot

Dragons Dogma

Hollowknight, BotW (sort of), RDR2 (less epic more downhill spiral), Spiderman 2018, AC Odyssey until I got bored halfway through

What journey is there to be had in modern day Manhattan

not everyone is living in USA bro..

I got some great feelings from Cataclysm's Eastern Plague lands quest when you travel with the wagon, as well as one quest description of a quest in Winterspring where the innkeeper gets mail where Blasted Lands are looking for help, saying that it's basically as far away as you can get/across the world.

The Witcher chapter 4 also comes to mind.

Fallout 76 felt pretty epic while at the same time being closer to the little guy.

I mean it's still just a small island populated with samey grey buildings, easily and quickly traversed in its entirety by Spider-Man, not much potential for a journey-like experience

ME1 makes you feel like an absolute blip in the grand scheme of things the more you learn about the galaxy, and the overwhelming scale was never really recreated in ME2 and onward, both in map design and travel just in general. The new galaxy map made it feel more like a "game" than an actual bridge map, flying your toy Normandy around and shit

Planet scanning was a terrible answer to people who were triggered by the Mako, and it fucked with the aesthetic flybys of planets when you visited them. This was inevitable with the consolization of ME, because the PS3 was getting it too now, so aside from random encounters, you've gotta give lots of incentives to get shitheads to visit more than mission planets and (hopefully) read the descriptions

Attached: MassEffect 2016-12-29 01-12-28-73.jpg (1920x1200, 177K)

Most games give me that feeling to some extent, but it almost always wears off when you get about halfway through the game and start accumulating power and you start to wonder why all the characters are retarded or just how best to break the game
It's been a long time since I've felt like that for almost a whole game. I think the last time was when I played FFX, like 15 years ago.

Honey Select.

LBA 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nPq-KrDe0

Unironically dragon age origins

I went in not really seeing it as the 'sucessor to baldur's gate' that everyone got hung up on, and found it interesting as a setting

Problem is everything that came after was pure shit.

unironically, FFXIV.
I like how the main story took me through every zone in the game.
Scratched an mmo itch I haven't felt since MoP

Mordheau

Soul soulless etc, and good GOD is ME2's UI ugly. It was doing that GOLD/YELLOW IS THE FUTURE!!! thing everything else was doing at the time, and just absolutely annoyed the shit out of me coming right out of ME, which features sad spacey blues that remind me of Deus Ex's boxart

Attached: MassEffect2 2017-03-05 06-10-01-66.jpg (1920x1200, 965K)

Had the opposite effect for me. Trudging through instanced zones, speeding through dungeons, watching cutscenes where my character was either a statue or went full fucking retard was so off putting.

Still baffles me that anyone praises this garbage, but maybe I'm just a bitter old boomer longing for the old days of MMOs.

I guess Spellforce series, New Vegas Witcher 3 and DivOs2.
But WarCraft 3 is special.

Outward

Attached: 794260_20190413234442_1.png (1920x1080, 2.02M)

Imagine her inevitably getting covered up for Reforged Edition.

"Sad spacey blues"
I like that description

Dark messiah of might and magic

I fucking hate the videogame industry of today, I'm 32, and was a WoWfag up until legion, FFXIV is the only youngfag shit I play because the writing honestly reminds me of all the fun I had playing through the RTS campaigns, and while the combat isn't the best, the amount of world building and lore FFXIV has is top fucking tier, in comparison to nu-wow at least, but that's not a very high bar

Gods will be watching

Xenoblade 2 or Hollow Knight.
I didn't want neither to end.

Half Life 2 Episode 1, actually

I wouldn't consider WoW to be the old days I was referring to. More like UO and FFXI.

Burning Crusade was the beginning of the end for me, but hey, if you're enjoying XIV, more power to you.

I can see that. I thought the story in DA:O was bullshit, but it was the companions that made the journey worth it. I didn't care about the big evil dragon, I cared about my best buddy Alistair and my waifu Leliana. I guess you can write the most mindblowingy detailed setting, but it wil all fall flat, if you won't fill it out with people I care about. I am looking at you, Deadfire. And the opposite is true. Give me a best buddy and a waifu I like and I can stomach any stupid plot twists.

Considering what they've done so far, no thanks.

divinity orignal sin 2

Hollow Knight.

Do I need to get into Divinity Original Sin? Every time I hear something about those games they sound better and better.

Rising Storm

Rain World

>"I said a bow string, not a g."

Legend of Grimrock

Xenoblade X i thank. exploring the planet was fun.

This gem user. So many feels.

Attached: Fate_of_Atlantis_artwork.jpg (256x340, 142K)

Asscreed Origins, Zelda wiiU, Minecraft

Attached: IMG_20190602_184858.jpg (1867x2400, 1.03M)

I actually liked Legion and only didn't love it because legiondaries were implemented stupidly early on and my favorite spec, Balance, was shit.

I didn't like D:OS1 all that much. It was too quirky, the story didn't make sense and some quests were designed by Satan himself (find 20 pieces of mcguffin scattered randomly on a huge sandbox map to open the obligatory plot door, no, fuck you we won't tell you where they are). D:OS2 is IMO much better, with better quests, better atmosphere and more coherent story. And waifus. It's a step up from the first game.

Attached: tumblr_pbn0x63iXN1vsnuoyo2_r3_500.jpg (500x281, 34K)

Divinity OS2 starts off good, but god damn it falls off hard. Still not terrible, but the progressive drop in quality after Fort Joy was pretty depressing.

I agree it's a step up from DOS1 overall, but I felt DOS1 was the better co-op game.

youtube.com/watch?v=A17oUv0E-N4

Attached: Age_of_Mythology_Liner.jpg (256x398, 29K)

Homeworld
It set the bar too high and it's still the only game that got the epic in epic journey right

Rimworld

I really need to play this game at some point. I've heard it's tits. I've only played first 2 missions, enjoyed the Adaggio for Strings intro and dropped it. I guess this bizarre 3d map finally got the better of me. I kept getting lost the track of my units all the time.

This. At one point i even forgot how there was a civil war going on.

zoomers gonna zoom

FFXI was the shit. Every task in that game required time and effort on a multiple tier level of cooperation with your fellow adventurers. You weren't some chosen one, just another face in the crowd trying to change the world's destiny.

Is that giant tank from a game

This. It had soul in it's own right.

Bought and started playing spellforce 3 the other day and its pretty fun

I'd never played it until recently, but Kirby's Adventure on the NES really did feel like an adventure.

It's a good game. They didn't need to be this ambitious with the story, but they were. Also, check out previous Spellforce games. Production values in SF1 might be a bit dated, but this game is a timesink. My GOG page tells me I spent 125 hours trying to beat the base game and the Winter Elves expansion.

Dark Souls 1

The original World of Warcraft when I replayed it back in... 2017? 2016? On Elysium.
The Witcher 3.
Dragon's Dogma. Which I've replayed from start to finish I think 3 or so times now and still love everything about it. Fingers crossed for a Dragon's Dogma 2.

How is it? What is it like? Could either of you "sell it" to me? I've heard and seen so little of it and it looks, well, awful, but everyone who's played it seems to swear by it.

>How is it? What is it like? Could either of you "sell it" to me? I've heard and seen so little of it and it looks, well, awful, but everyone who's played it seems to swear by it.
it if was made by nips, the metascore would have 30+ points

The question asks about the LAST time you felt that way, obviously its going to be a newer game. Unless you are a depressed morally decaying mentally rotting jaded bitter cynical dopamine zombie that spends its free time wishing for and celebrating failure, while jerking off to ever more degenerate shit that you are politically denouncing on your second monitor. (You).

This.

mists of pandaria

Reign of Chaos was pure kino

The Witcher 3 from beginning to the sweet end

The combat is one of the main issues I've heard people have with it, which is a fair point to a degree. It isn't great, and it takes some getting used to, but it's decent and gets more fun once you've gotten the hang of it as well as started using traps/lanterns/skills/magic too. I think a lot of the people shitting on it, went out and got rekt by two bandits right off the bat a couple times since you start out pretty weak and ragequit. I enjoyed fighting stuff. There isn't a ton of combat though, so don't get it if you want something with lots and lots of action. Most of the fighting occurs in dungeons, caves, etc. You spend a LOT of time traveling, especially in the beginning where you don't have movement enhancing gear and are potentially going to and from town every time your bag gets full (poor inventory management on your part will be a massive drain on your fun).

I wanted a comfy adventure game with some entertaining combat, cool dungeons, and worthwhile loot, and I was pretty happy with it. If I could change anything, I'd probably want a payment based fast travel between cities that you could unlock at some point, some sprucing up for the combat, and then just more (bigger/more dungeons, more things to fight, more unique loot, etc.).

Alright /shill I guess. It's not everyone's thing. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was because I'd been really wanting a new, comfy adventure game that didn't give you some drawn-out, over the top story and just let you explore at your own pace. You should still watch some videos to decide for yourself.

1st Valkyria Chronicles.

That, Frozen Throne and Starcraft: Brood War.

Witcher 3
before that, OG TERA when it took a month to reach level 60(I leveled by doing every single quest in the game, never grinded)

lately I've been doing nothing but marathons
> played all Witcher games in release order
> played all Resident Evil games in chronological order
> played all Batman Arkham games in release order

So everything I did in the last year felt like an epic journey considering the time invested in each series

Attached: d97ypnfn2h3z[1].jpg (850x1063, 286K)

I actually didn't like Brood War all that much. The whole plot relied on UED, Raynor and the Protoss to be complete idiots that make the most braindead decisions, never communicate with one another and take Kerrigan's words for granted. All we needed was for Stukov and Aldaris to talk to others and explain what's up and Kerrigan would've been fucked. Once you realize that everybody behaves as a moron, just to make Kerrigan's bonkers plan viable, it sours the story.

in order...

mass effect 2015
wc3 2014
wow 2004
sc1 1998

these feelings are so far between. who knows when i'll feel that again; if ever.

Nier Automata, the world was so sad and alien despite the familiarity.

The Longest Journey

Cheeky name aside it is pretty damn good for that epic journey feeling. Shame the sequels are so shit.

Last of us. U can hate it but the journey was good. Ending ruined it though

Attached: SNOWPIERCER.jpg (745x419, 39K)

Nah you're not alone I had the same feeling with XIV. I hated it, the leveling, the story meant nothing to me and outside of the visuals of the raids and dungeons I wondered why I even bothered playing it. I felt like I was fightint with the UI half the time. I ended up just going back to private City of heroes server for interaction and socializing and TSW for story and the journey feeling( that game is also shit, but my caring for the lore she the story makes up for it)

The Longest Journey was pure kino and April was the best and purest waifu in the history of vidya. I hate how shitty her treatment was in the sequels. It's like the writers had the personal vendetta against her.

Attached: 877030-the_longest_journey.jpg (1240x1711, 778K)

Half life 1 and 2 in actuality feel like this massive fucking journey. Especially if you play them back to back. The futility of the circumstances of that games story feel so heavy as you play through it and it's great

Most dragon quest games, mostly 11

Sequel was not too bad, but still fail in atmosphere department, 3rd installment was just shit... Sadly

>inb4 hollow knight
hollow knight

guild wars 2, such a breathtaking journey at first.

Sequel was pretty but, but at the time it was kinda novel and neat in a way, and I do still hold some affection to it.

Shame the third one instead of trying to bridge the gap between 1 and 2 and bring the series back into it's more puzzle game roots and create a perfect balance between the two, it went even further into walking sim territory and made it into a glorified interactive movie. Not to mention the severe dip in writing quality.

skies of fucking arcadia

Xenoblade 1. I always saw "epic" as just some buzzword reddit used, but this was the first time I used it unironically. I cannot think of any other way to describe the game.

Attached: thumb-1920-655030.jpg (1600x900, 205K)

I guess I was hoping that the third game will bring back April in some capacity - I really liked her as a protagonist. Way more than this spoiled brat Zoe. And Chapters begins with the biggest possible "fuck you" there is. Now I'm stuck with the characters I don't like - and they don't try to warm themselves up to me. Also, the entirety of TLJ is rendered null in both Dreamfall and Chapters.

The Witcher 3 which I played last year did a good job of that just for the vast amount of quest and shit available. Expansion packs were pretty great too, I toggled off the map UI so I could get immersed and actually take in the areas/routes. I also played with the E3DodgeSystem and FCR3 mod. Easily got 100+ hours in. Even had a fun bug on the quest "Contract: Swamp Thing" where the Foglet boss completely went invisible no fog spawning or anything for some reason like its suppose to so I had to deal with magically spawning foglets ganking me against a boss I couldn't see and had to perceive by reading the layout of the room and sounds it made in that boss fight. Nearly lost.

Before that was Bloodborne/first souls game.

Attached: 1533064914557.gif (702x1050, 1.42M)

Witcher 3 is a bit to fragmented to feel like a journey to me. It feels more like doing 500 tiny journeys rather than a single epic one.
Provided you don't just rush the main quest I mean.

Hearts of Stone nailed that feeling pretty damn well though since it was so linear.

FFXIV is enjoyable enough for me, I don't do the hardcore raiding, I usually sub for 2-3 months to catch up to the story, do some content, then leave till the game gets updates. It's one of those games I like playing in bursts and when I'm in a grindy mood.

It was a fun romp at the first act of the game, but once you got to 2300 A.D the stage was set for greater things.

(Especially that longer than normal time travel animation and spooky noise)

Attached: 246x0w.jpg (246x246, 36K)

Attached: 2018103013326.jpg (1680x1050, 196K)

Never. I don't feel anything when playing videogames.

All souls and souls likes
I dont give a fuck they are all the same game or bad copies of them, they are the only style of game outside of maybe elder scrolls and dragons dogma that gives me that sense of exploration and adventure, that feeling of actually wanting to see whats around that next corner, up that cliff, or whats inside that ruin on that distant mountain
And I'm rewarded with treasure, gear, weapons or at the very least a good fight

Assassins creed 4, 2 did it really well too

>get 2-3 months when new exp is released
>buy previous exp and level all jobs a few levels
>try to unlock as much as possible
thats how i do it , so far only main job reached 70 i think

Attached: ffxiv_11012016_132811.png (380x74, 34K)

based

Golden Sun

Subnautica. Genuinely the best gaming experience Ive had in 5 years. That being said, I played the finished game without having seen the trailer, watched gameplay videos or knowing anything about it.

Fallout 3, all those years ago. Nothing compares to the first time.

>sucessor to baldur's gate' that everyone got hung up on
Its meant to be NWN3 tho

Witchery 1

I thought it was pretty bad when I played it for the first time on release as a 13yo kid. Not bad in the way Yea Forums thinks of it, just that it doesn't create the same feeling of importance as e.g. Warcraft 3 did. Same goes for Oblivion which was my first open world game, I still like them both but Bethesda is kinda shit at everything but creating sandboxes, which are in themselves a bad basis for journey-type experiences. That's why NV's initial linearity worked in its favor in this regard, or San Andreas' city progression which is unparalleled to this day, especially compared to the immediately open GTAV.

planetside 2 unironically

Just a little while ago while I was playing Thracia.

To be honest, as a fan of F1/2 I HATED Fallout 3. From the minute I started playing the game, it was obvious that Bethesda doesn't understand what makes Fallout work. I had absolutely miserable experience with it. And it's not really about the gameplay changes, but the writing and worldbuilding. They sacrificed coherent storytelling for "wacky" setpieces and "wow" factor. For me, NV was a much better experience.
But there are people who absolutely worship F3, which I don't get - so what do I know.

The best games to capture that feeling are Final Fantasy and Dragon Age/Mass Effect.

>TLJ

Let's not talk about this.

TLJ was an adventure you will never forget. Dreamfall:TLJ was maybe even the best 3d adventure to date. Everything seemed perfect. I literally played those games at least once a year. Then the last game happened. It's not only sjw trash it also shitted on everything. Worst game I have ever played and it destroyed the other games for me.

I'm going to have to ask you to delete this.

Attached: 1485188914842.gif (480x270, 1.76M)

Dark souls 1 and BOTW.

To be fair, for me only TLJ exists. It was one of the most comfy and charming stories even told by a videogame. Dreamfall kinda missed the mark for me - I don't like the new protagonist and 80% of the plot happens just because she's a complete moron. April even calls her out on it - too bad the game goes out of its way to present April as an unlikeable shrew, which for me is an assassination of a character. April would never be this jaded and mean-spirited. Also, the whimsical feel of TLJ was gone, now everyone was dark and serious. Overall, yeah, I don't like Dreamfall all that much. And somehow, Chapters was even worse, while at the same time being pretentious as fuck.

And why would that happen? Are you just trying to hate on Blizzard for the sake of hating something?
Have you seen the new Night Elf outfits from BfA? Vanilla Nelfs were more covered than that.

based

Late in the thread so this will probably be drowned out by shitposts but Divinity Original sin 1 fits perfectly. I could never recommend it enough to those who are looking for that sense and feel. Slow start I'll admit but not for very long. Getting a co-op partner who can play through the whole damn thing makes the entire game wonderful.

Attached: divinity-original-sin-silly-dialog.jpg (1920x1080, 326K)

Nier Automata

Attached: toobie.jpg (1024x989, 69K)

It's still so good.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjPizNe4RM

Attached: F97C7E0A-A44E-4DBE-ABA3-08EF484E5910.jpg (250x405, 98K)

Bloodborne

Attached: A1C326F4-23DC-43F6-91CC-46E1EDEFDBAD.jpg (755x755, 66K)

Very first time playing Fallout 2, was sad when I finished everything about it

Games nowa' days don't give me that feeling anymore, even vanilla WoW, because I know everything, there's no surprises anymore, there's no adventure when you know just what to do and where to go...god I am depressed.

Attached: 1518681838144.gif (480x480, 467K)

Outer Wilds
It's also free

Attached: 109275.jpg (950x950, 192K)

lol

>wuT GoUrneY iz thAr tO bE SpiDy mAn

This is how you seem like.

Labyrinth of Refrain. What a ride.

>crtl+f nier
my men

noice

FUCK TORNQUIST

far cry 5, funnily enough. having 4 villains and all of them being good made the game feel huge

Yeah, Spider-Man has never been about journeys, do you know what the word means

half life 2. this was like in the last 7 days.

It definitely wasn't a single-player campaign in a Blizzard RTS, that's for fucking sure.

Warcraft 3 provided enough story and world building to enable WoW to be the most successful MMO of all time, and enough content and expansions for 15 years