This is the most painful ensemble of sights and sounds I've seen in a movie theatre that I can commit to memory in...

This is the most painful ensemble of sights and sounds I've seen in a movie theatre that I can commit to memory in years.

Stupid, awkward, annoying, unfunny and ugly.

I have no idea how Nintendo company that's been making some of the best games ever for 30 years approved this, but they could not possibly have been involved in any way.

Attached: MV5BNDU4Mzc3NzE5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE1NzI1NzM@._V1_.jpg (1382x2048, 870K)

>going to a movie theater in 2019

Attached: 1557264830011.jpg (1024x576, 224K)

it wasn't amazing but it was great
cope harder

Funny, I had a good time. Not saying it was a great movie but it was far from terrible.

>I have no idea how Nintendo approved this
Have you seen the detective pikachu game

>it wasn't amazing but it was great
Tell me what else ranks among your rating of a "Great movie"

>Funny, I had a good time. Not saying it was a great movie but it was far from terrible.
Terrible. And I don't throw that word around

There was barely one line in this movie that didn't induce some kind of physical pain

Yeah it sucked

It was definitely a dumb kids film but I didn't find it painful or anything.

It has nothing to do with Nintendo ignorant fuck.

Oh fuck off, it was fine.

The only real issues were the plot near the middle and end, and shitty acting by the secondary characters. Both of which are excusable because it's a fucking Pokemon movie. What did you expect?

I thought it was okay, but it felt like it should have been a TV movie instead.

Nintendo's standards have been declining sharply since 2014. They don't give a shit about quality anymore.

Its not physical pain for one retard. The movie didnt PHYSICALLY lash out and hit you. Its a childrens movie and you went to see it. In theatres. If you cringed your head out, just imagine how normal people cringe seeing you walking into that theatre with all those 9 year olds.

So how much bitching about Detective Pikachu do you think is solely because of people salty that it’s now objectively the best movie based on a video game so far? Mortal Kombat was finally dethroned, and it’ll only be further desecrated when they do the reboot films with nu-Kombat characters and “themes”.

It was alright. The scenery was far more interesting than that walking piece of wood the movie decided to call a main character, and the plot was pretty weak, but Ryan Reynolds was fine and the world of Pokemon was translated very well to the big screen IMO.
Not a masterpiece, but as far as Hollywood movie films goes, it's prolly the best one. Not much of an accomplishment, sure, but eh.

I'm not even being a pedantic nerd here

I cannot imagine being an adult and thinking that this was an enjoyable cinematic experience

This absolutely dreadful cartoon was migraine inducing

>What did you expect?
1. The Pokemon not being photorealistic depictions of real creatures where Lickitung has every spore on his tongue rendered
2. The people in this beloved children's cartoon not making crude jokes and allusions to sex
3. Actors that don't look like that they're just barely stopping themselves from breaking out laughing every time they have to deliver a line

>it's meant for kids
So is everything else Pokemon related that is not this

>solely because of people salty that it’s now objectively the best movie based on a video game so far?
Yeah that ain't much of a metric.

While on the topic of video game movies
>tfw Zombieland could have been the best video game movie ever, but Valve declined to lend out their ip
Hard to blame them given the track record of vidya movie up to that point, but at least Hollywood is getting better. DP was alright in my book

Attached: NWQl2dC.gif (400x231, 1.96M)

>>What did you expect?
>1. The Pokemon not being photorealistic depictions of real creatures where Lickitung has every spore on his tongue rendered

Stopped reading there. This shit was known day fucking one and you'd had to have been living under a rock to know this was the direction the film was going. Confirmed retard.

>Pokemon
>Not a cartoon
Nigga you dumb as hell

Attached: 1540410809830.png (249x253, 94K)

I don't know what "It always looked like shit" is supposed to disprove

Why are you trying to argue with this?
What makes you want to defend this digital vomit?

The most easily pleased redditors that just wanted to show up and see their childhood video game animals make the funny noise thought this movie sucked

I love Pokemon. I always have. Which is why I don't enjoy seeing an unsettling photorealistic depiction of Pikachu with every hair rendered and distended eyes the size of bowling balls

Attached: z0kbxN642W2AMrz3p94kYI6kFtvMvaaIjMuCAFQytz8.jpg (960x789, 122K)

you're right, but this movie has shills who aggressively shout down anyone who points out that the pokemon are all ugly.

Attached: liveactionsoulsoulless.png (1571x1069, 1.58M)

Aside from being filling every kids movie checkbox, it wasn't bad at all. I'd love to see a movie in the same universe with a more dark/serious story.

name a better vg movie
unironically

>looks more cyberpunk than Cyberpunk 2077

Pokemon is so incredibly stale and boring. Literally doing anything different with the world is a positive for me, even if it's bad.

Its the perfect movie to see for a date but OP is a homosexual so he wouldn't know.

I'm just going to branch off this and explain how fundamentally stupid this design choice is:

A cartoon is a fundamentally different visual format from something that's actually meant to look realistic.

A cartoon is a very simple collection of lines and colors that imitates something in real life.
If it has "shadows" or something that actually implies it's physical, it probably has one solid shadow just to aid you visually.

When you take this and try to translate it into something that's actually real, you have 2 options:
1. Take the way they're simply drawn literally
2. Take them and translate them so they actually look real

Here they opted for both (Jigglypuff, and then photorealistic Charizard) depending on whether looked like less shit. They didn't even have a consistent design philosophy.

You can translate it into hyper-realistic 3D animation. It's possible. It just is not well thought out here.

>are you saying you're smarter than the team of 1000 computer animators
I have ever faith that the computer animators hated their life every time they to add a wrinkle in Charizard's highly detailed dinosaur skin.

This decision was made by a marketing team that realized the potential revenue in the demographic of beard-clad numales that want to see their childhood cartoon in a live action piece of cinema.

That Aipom is just copy-pasted what the hell.

The story was stupid, but it was still fun seeing a "pokemon world."

this movie isnt about lusting at loli trainers user

>Nintendo's standards have been declining sharply since 2014.
They dropped the ball at the n64 and haven't picked it up since desu

The movie was pretty clever in some places
>The entire Mr. Mime scene

Attached: Jack.jpg (500x375, 18K)

lmao are you fucking stupid? everyone knows this is how giraffes look like irl

Attached: download.png (189x267, 5K)

My autism was only flared at the only pokeball in movie not being the thing that grows from a tap. If they were going for anime canon,you might as well use the anime version of pokeball

>allusions to sex

Huh. When did this happen

>Tim pouring invisible gasoline on him
>locking him in his own invisible cube
>then accidentally dropping the invisible match

That whole scene was comedy gold.

Attached: 1522079099341.jpg (523x569, 61K)

You're wanting to argue subjective opinions. You're a brainlet and a waste of time

Well no fucking shit. That's the target audience

>2. The people in this beloved children's cartoon not making crude jokes and allusions to sex
explain

Not him but there was a line about going back to the apartment and pikachu says "I am not that type of pokemon". I didn't mind it because sneaking in adult humour has been a thing in cartoons since the dawn of time.

Did that Charizard in the fight club die due to the water flooding out and probably extinguishing it's tail?

"You shouldn't be alone at night"
"I'm pretty good at being alone at night"

"I don't always have people over to my apartment, I'm not that kind of Pokemon"

"I'm coming over to your place"
"Sweet"

These are 3 separate instances.

Really?

>Psyduck blackmailing Pikachu with mutual self destruction
10/10

>psyduck appears on screen
>"PSYYYDUCK"
>"Oh that's a psyduck, let me explain the entirety of the concept of a psyduck to you"
>pikachu appears on screen
>"Oh that's a pikachu, they can use volt tackle, thunderbolt...
>Mr. Mime appears on screen
"Oh yeah that's right, Mr. Mime creates invisible walls like a mime!"
why are you explaining all this shit, the teens/kids know already and the parents' opinions don't matter they're going to hate it either way

Attached: force of angerr.jpg (800x760, 43K)

The film has some heavy plot holes and logic leaps you're expected to ignore or fill in the gaps yourself and it was really jarring to see the same couple of dozen reused Pokemon models in the background to every scene, but other than that they did an incredible job making a surreal film based around subverting your expectations of Pokemon and the designs play into that perfectly, which is the only way they can do it consiering how hokey the anime is even in the realm of animation, let alone live action.
Also, lmao at people who think the target audience was kids and not 20-30 year olds enjoying the irony.

Overall I give it a solid three stars and say it's the only good live action video game adapation yet.

Attached: 1540223099742.jpg (1000x1000, 139K)

This movie was seriously trash, if you enjoyed it you should kill yourself.