So after many decades and multiple devs, who did the post-apocalypse better?

So after many decades and multiple devs, who did the post-apocalypse better?

Attached: post.png (1561x415, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/r6qt_70iGk4
youtu.be/bvfbJZHfkBQ?t=48
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

STALKER

The atmosphere of Fallout 1 is unrivaled. Dark and bleak, hopeless and depressing, with one of the best atmospheric soundtracks ever on top of that.
youtu.be/r6qt_70iGk4

New Vegas is better than Wasteland 2, but Wasteland 2 is better than any other 3D Fallout

Valve

Fallout is too goofy and self aware these days. It doesnt take itself seriously. Fallout 1 and 2 were depressing. They were dark and gritty. Sure, there were memey little references and parodies and shit, but overall they were pretty serious games. Fallout 4 is unironically too colorful. It's so soulless looking. Even 3 and NV, whose have disgusting blue and brown filters on everything (respectively), feel and look better, at least in terms of mood. Fucking Fallout 76 takes place literally a few DECADES after bombs dropped, and it's nowhere NEAR as bleak as any of the other games.

This whole fucking direction Bethesda is taking with the mood is atrocious. I hate how cartoony the series has become

The devs of 1 and 2 preferred dark humor(although 2 kinda got lost with that at times), and 4 seems to have very little of it. And yeah art direction is key as well, compare a city skyline in fallout 1...

Attached: Bakersfield.png (741x549, 532K)

to a city skyline in fallout 4.

Attached: boston.jpg (1425x784, 363K)

this is really true actually. fo4 looks like some bioshock shit, maybe some groups of people are suffering but it's not like they're living in a real apocalypse

Nintendo

Attached: botw.jpg (450x450, 56K)

fallout 2 started that it's filled with memes (back then we called them pop culture references) and goofy shit.

I've never played 4 but doesn't it take place significantly later than 1?

>this is really true actually. fo4 looks like some bioshock shit
Bethesda decided to go all out with the 50's stuff.

Exactly!
I mean, what the hell?
Look at those buildings! Too colorful, too bright! I'm not saying everything must be totally dark and gritty, but fucking Detroit looks more disgusting and worn down than this "Post-Apocalyptic" city.

Remember the master in Fallout 1? Remember how rusty and gross and disgusting his lair was? Remember the bleak fucking desert with the only inhabitants being raiders and mutated wild animals? What happened? Fallout 4 is so weak in comparison. You go from a proper dystopian wasteland to "Oh it's a pretty walk through the forest with cabins and animals :):):):)"

I know, and it's really unfortunate that that's what Bethesda decided to make it's thing
But even then, the world felt and looked bleak. Like a disaster truly HAD befallen it. The mood (overall) felt serious. It felt intimidating. It felt like a proper harsh and unforgiving wasteland that was only now starting to recover

Attached: IMG_4464.jpg (475x509, 81K)

Yes
Nearly 100 years after Fallout 1

well that's not all that long but isn't it theoretically possible they just built it up like that?

No
The city of Boston in Fallout 4 is uninhabited (save from Raiders and Supermutants) by anyone. No one could've maintained or built up those buildings. The only pocket of people that won't kill you is Goodneighbor, a tucked away little shithole full of Druggies and Gamblers. The only major "city" in the commonwealth is Diamond City, which is little more than a handful of buildings lodged in a Baseball Stadium, with basically no external borders.

It's pathetic, really. 200 years and it's still just raiders and Super Mutants.

Everytime I entered the Lost Hills Bunker I kept thinking that wheel creaking sound was one of my dogs whining

God Bethesda ruined the alternate future setting so much those buildings are hideous

>clear weather screenshot
>zoomed out a mile past the shadow draw distance with the washed out distant LOD textures on display making everything abnormally bright and pristine.
If you don't have something like NV's piss filter this is how modern fallout games will typically look. Cherrypicking aside, FO4's atmosphere has a fairly wide range.
youtu.be/bvfbJZHfkBQ?t=48

All the music really adds so much.