Westerners pump out thousands of 3rd person shooters

>Westerners pump out thousands of 3rd person shooters
>Japanese make like five, including two of the best ever, Resi 4 and Vanquish
Are FPS and RTS the only genres nips don't dominate in? What are their best attempts there?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 46K)

Vanquish is like 6 hours long and not really that good. It is better than stuff like Gears of War, but Third Person Shooters are genuinely one of the worst genres of video games, so being better than Gears of War is not hard.

Fuck Third Person Shooters, and fuck anyone who complains that shit like Cyberpunk is First Person.

You forgot to mention Binary Domain which is the best cover shooter of all time.

Surely there must be at least one TPS you enjoyed playing

>Vanquish is like 6 hours long
Maybe if you're just blowing through the campaign, but the challenges are the best part of the game. Plus the game is usually like $10 so it's not like a 6-12 hour playtime is offensive.

There are games that I liked that are 3rd person shooters, but the aspect of running into cover to shoot is a bad aspect of them.

For example, despite what the game has come to represent, I was a big fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2. Both of them are 3rd person shooters (with their RPG elements) but the actual 3rd person shooting is pretty much the worst part of both games. I cannot really think of any traditional 3rd person shooter that I enjoyed because of its 3rd person perspective, or that I think would not be vastly improved by being 1st person instead.

How did Shinji Mikami drop two of the best TPS single handedly?
Gears of War games were unironically good. It's easy to make fun of the franchise now, but even going back to the first trilogy today it's easy to see why they were so beloved.

>Vanquish is like 6 hours long
Nah more like 2 but is this supposed to be a bad thing? Long games are for faggots who need to go back to purseowner, short & sweet with extra challenges is how vidya is meant to be.

For me it's Ratchet and Clank

Attached: benis.jpg (960x956, 56K)

EDF!
D
F
!

Attached: wallpaper01.jpg (1920x1080, 569K)

Many TPS wouldn't be as fun in first person because part of the fun is seeing your character model do cool shit, and games like Vanquish and Max Payne would just feel weird in first person

>vanquish
>good

Attached: bdd.jpg (720x697, 38K)

FEAR and FEAR Extraction Point prove you wrong with viceral first person damage feedback

talk shit post 3x3

No they dont, the slides and melee there feel like complete dogshit with no impact what so ever, enemies just enter ragdoll mode when you collide its absolutely pathetic. The only way to feel cool there is to just point and click while chugging some nades, avoiding all the stunts

Jap shooting in general feels weak outside of RE4. Vanquish still had guns that felt like staplers.

i dont think i've ever played a nip RTS

>Are FPS and RTS the only genres nips don't dominate in
Yes because guns are illegal in japan and nips suck at strategies

Not even RE4? What a faggot.

I didn't know RE4 was a RTS

RE4....my favorite real time strategy game...

attache case is real time strategy

I love Vanquish. Try Binary Domain, too.

Attached: binary-domain.jpg (800x450, 64K)

BIG BO

this

Movement is good but the shotting is trash. RE4 is trash in general.

Vanquish is hilariously overrated though

Sound wise maybe, the amount of feedback you get for shooting enemies is really solid between the destructible limbs and very visible hitstun and actual knockdowns. Sending Romanovs flying with a point blank shotgun blast feels really satisfying

I legitimately enjoy a game less when it's in first person. I prefer seeing the character I'm controlling and having a better view of the action than my character's vision. I see the appeal of FPS but I much prefer Third Person games, although TPS specifically are not usually my thing; the ones I've liked are things that are very unrealistic like Vanquish, Ratchet, and EDF, as people in this thread have mentioned.

Attached: 1461530505211.jpg (500x501, 38K)

>How did Shinji Mikami drop two of the best TPS single handedly?
Eh, to be fair Vanquish wouldn't have happened without Mikami botching P.N.03

The voice command gimmick was so fucking bad and whole game feels like a shooter from your local arcade joint that you paid a quarter for.

I loved it though

Mikami's one of if not the best modern jap game director desu
He made 2 of the best survival horror games, two of the best TPS and casually dropped the best 3D beat em up in between. Even his worst games like PN03 and Evil Within have a lot of interesting stuff going on. Too bad he's not actively developing anymore.

But you can turn the voices off and there's no reason to use them in the first place.

>Are FPS and RTS the only genres nips don't dominate in?
Point&Click games.

Are Ace Attorney, 999, Ghost Trick and Hotel Dusk not p&c style games, just on a DS?

Never said they made shit p&c games. The west just made more good ones.

That's not a genre worth dominating in

It is but the west still dominate only because there's no new p&c games.

You post Vanquish then mention Resi 4, what a faggot. RE6 is mechanically godhood of TPS.

>there's no new p&c games.
Don't movie games like Detroid: become human and Until Dawn count as point and click to some extent?

No, they're cutscenes with QTE. There's three big types of p&c, the VN, the lucasarts style and the Myst style.