Fighting games

>SF4 is one of the best and most popular fighters ever
>MvC3 is a gigantic hit loved by all
>MKX and I2 are actually decent releases coming out of NRS of all studios
>ArcSys breaks into mainstream fighting
Fast forward a bit
>SF5 is a piece of shit living on a drip feed of capcom tourney prizes
>MK11 is a fucking joke where all anyone does is throw, teleport, and maybe do one good string
>MvC Infinite was such trash even capcom abandoned it
What the fuck happened?

Attached: freepcfg01head.jpg (786x442, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/WydD/status/1135210098274578432
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

casual market

RE Engine SF and MvC will hopefully save us from this shit

the genre peaked with SF2 CE. everything since then has been driven by milking autists by selling them the same bad game every year or two, and convincing them that being the only people left who care makes them good at the video games.

Attached: jzhnthtrp0411.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

>and MvC
it's dead, jim

video games peaked with pac-man for the atari 2600
ancient-ass game good, new games BAD

>MKX and I2
>actually decent
single player casuals don't get opinions

Capcom will never learn from their mistakes. Street Fighter will die just like all the other Capcom fighting franchises.

they managed to save RE, so i'd give it a 50% chance that SF6 isn't fucking garbage like V.

none of their modern games play better than their predecesors though
so SFVI is likely to be more casual or play worse in general, it may be succesful with casuals since they may make it pretty

>they may make it pretty
Hopefully they ditch the stinky steroid cartoon art style from 4.

Arc has been making fighting games a lot longer than when SF4 came out, underage scum.

he said
>breaks into MAINSTREAM fighting
which is correct, they are far less niche than they used to be

No it won't

Attached: akuma re engine.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>>MKX is an actually decent release
>>MK11 is a fucking joke where all anyone does is throw, teleport, and maybe do one good string

Attached: 1524428824619.jpg (426x544, 57K)

What's your excuse for not playing Tekken?

Attached: 1550247674922.png (1920x1080, 1.77M)

>>SF4 is one of the best and most popular fighters ever
>>MvC3 is a gigantic hit loved by all
>>MKX and I2 are actually decent releases coming out of NRS of all studios
>>ArcSys breaks into mainstream fighting
those are literally all wrong lmao

You are wrong about mk11 and probably have not watched or played the game

I don't like doing kbd on pad

Maybe new Samurai Shodown might be good? I dunno

Attached: 1554166951635.webm (1280x720, 2.23M)

8f of lag

WHY IS IT SO FUCKING UGLY

Attached: K6YH7ik.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

too hard, I can't kbd

E-sports meme happened

eSports pandering
Any game that tries to be competitive instead of letting it grow naturally is bound to be shit. See StarCraft 2, CS:GO, Quake Champions, etc.

WHY

Attached: Cerm1d5WIAEp4IW.jpg (600x656, 69K)

WHYYYYY

Attached: StreetFighter5AlexArtworkSmall.png (1500x2315, 1.25M)

Esports pandering
Casual pandering
Disney in the case of the mvc series

If you think Arc broken into mainstream fighting after MKX, you're a fucking retard. Guilty Gear has been a thing since before you were born.

>Guilty Gear has been a thing since before you were born
I was born before 1998, arbitrary challenge completed

Back in the 90s Capcom did lots of different fighting game franchises. Even if you were of the opinion that all the non SF/Marvel ones weren't any good, they were at least a way to experiment and learn. Both Street Fighter and Marvel owe a lot to Darkstalkers, for example. But now Capcom feels that they can do nothing but SF and Marvel, sothey quickly drive those 2 franchises into the ground.

Attached: capcomfighting.png (584x566, 335K)

The best part about this thread is you could literally find the same thing 10 years ago on Yea Forums except:

>3rd Strike is one of the best and most popular fighters ever
>MvC2 is a gigantic hit loved by all
>UMK3 is an actually decent release coming out of Midway of all studios
>ArcSys breaks into mainstream fighting
Fast forward a bit
>SF4 is a piece of shit living on a drip feed of capcom tourney prizes
>MK9 is a fucking joke where all anyone does is throw, teleport, and maybe do one good string
>MvC3 was such trash even capcom abandoned it
What the fuck happened?

I don't like the idea of sidestepping

they should AT LEAST put rival schools characters in the next street fighter

>SF4 is one of the best and most popular fighters ever
stopped there, popular yes, not the best by a long shot

this
it just keeps getting worse, man, fuck this timeline

Of the eleventy million things wrong with fighting games today, you picked the three or four that are near the eleventy million threshold. The actual fucking problem faggot, is that every fighting game that has released this gen has been a F2P with mobile currency. Only you have to pay 60 bucks on top of this kike scheme.

>SF V
>Tekken 7
>SC 6
>Guilty Gear
>MK 11
All of these games are treating players like walking bags of cash. Can't unlock characters, have to pay for em. Can't unlock new outfits anymore, have to pay for em. Can't have all the characters on launch, have to pay for the cut content now. Can't even fucking cheat the single player to bypass the grind because cheat engine is bad for our business.™

Each playerbase for any one fighting game is dwindling faster than normal because the long road to gitting gud isn't even worth it anymore. Developers do not make the time it takes to become skilled proportional to the fun one can and should have when playing a fighting game. Don't even get me started on the schemes surrounding customization items.

This genre has been hit the hardest out of any others in this modern dystopian hellhole known as the current day video game industry. And it's only going to get worse.

Attached: 1447012340082.gif (386x172, 1.01M)

It's fucking garbage.

Agreed with everything.
My only hope is that these companies see the success of smash ultimate (in regards to it's content and business model) and go "Oh, this is what they want". But that's not going to happen.

I'm not gay.

Go ahead, post Chun-Li or Cammy instead of cherrypicking and generalizing like a motherfuck. Do it, you son of a disease-ridden whore.

>RE Engine SF and MvC will hopefully save us from this shit
Fuck that, , realistic look doesn't fit SF

To be fair, unlocking characters was always stupid. I want to learn and play a character right off the bat instead of having to force myself through a badly written 6-hour story mode or whatever. And with the way things are, they would shrink the roster in the base game even further if they ever go with unlocking again. You would still get your DLC characters anyway, so fuck that.

But user, they already put Sakura in Street Fighter 5 :)

This. Even at the time of SF2, it wa still a cartoon/comic look, just a less exaggerated one.

Attached: 20100601054836!Street_Fighter_II_Art_Ryu_1.jpg (580x580, 38K)

X-factor singlehandedly ruined the entire genre

The only characters that ever required unlocks in fighting games were usually hidden boss characters.

Oh great, a fighting game thread on Yea Forums. Any yuros still up for a few sets of Tekken or Street Fighter? Or will your insightful comments be the only thing to entertain me the next couple of hours?

I'm poor and lazy.

>>SF4 is one of the best and most popular fighters ever
The worst thing SFV did was make retards parrot this shit.

Samurai Shodown seems to be on the right track

Tekken 2 had almost a an entire second roster behind unlocks.

sf4 should have just continued to recieve updates until a real sf5 could be completed

also maybe dont use a fucking fps engine for a fighting game

UE4 is fine. The problem is that japs are fucking terrible at using it because they're so used to their own proprietary in-house engines.

>60 bucks on release
>no PC (for now)
>shoddy looking animations
>less than 20 characters
>8 frames of lag
>possibly terrible online if KoFXIV is any indication
>DLC characters already planned
I appreciate they're giving away the season pass with pre-orders, and the ghost feature looks intriguing, but it doesn't remotely justify the price tag.

i think they could still stylize it in the RE engine

>infinite replayability
>doesnt justify the price tag

The starting roster was tiny

It's an snk game
Of course it's going to have terrible netcode

I know, hence the 'usually' part of my statement. Some games did have characters that unlocked after set time or some particular parameters were met during play.

If they didn't stylize DMC5 then the engine probably can't do it, the necessity to scan everything would be awful for SF characters

that doesn't change anything about what he said at all ever in any way, shape, or form. Not sure what you're sperging out about.

>MKX and I2 are actually decent releases coming out of NRS of all studios
I WISH this wasn't bait

Nah, the next SF game has to go for a very different art style to avoid the SF5 stigma. Realistic is the way to go.

Art style is not an engine-level thing unless you're using default shaders and shit like all the stock-looking UE3 games from the last gen. They chose to make the characters and world more realistic at a production level.

Attached: jinned.jpg (115x282, 31K)

They tried realistic look in early stages of SF5, it was awful, SF5 sitgma has very little to do with looks and more about the awful state it was launched

The engine is such a weird complaint. Tekken 7, SCVI, DBFZ and I think even GG run on UE4, but their problems are never traced back to the engine. It seems like another case of everything associated with SFV being perceived as bad while it's no issue anywhere else.

>he doesnt know

MK11 is fun, though.

And theres also Soul Calibur.

Literally a Zoomer. The fighting scene a whole generation before that shit entirely on that mess you call good.

God no. Imagine realistic Chun Li, Ken, or Blanka like those of NRS. I rather wait 5 more years for another street fighter with sprites

FINAL ATOMIC BUSTER

Attached: SSF2T_Zangief.gif (404x440, 13K)

>60 bucks on release
Its not ideal but it was expected
>no PC (for now)
You will get a more complete version anyway
>shoddy looking animations
Cant say the same, it looks fine to me
>less than 20 characters
My main concern since classic fighters will end up being DLC
>8 frames of lag
You mean during online?
>possibly terrible online if KoFXIV is any indication
The ghost feature might mitigate this ossue if it works
>DLC characters already planned
Expected as well

>replayability
Meme. And pointless in a genre whose appeal is playing against living opponents, unless you're one of those pitiful souls who only play singleplayer. In which case LOL

The feature also sounds a bit too good. I fully suspect it to be massively overblown or completely trivial.

I miss Tech Romancer. I used to play that shit all the time in the arcade. Though recently I downloaded an emulated version of it and I found out that it sucks. Or maybe I just suck.

Fpbp

What about lack of modes?

MK11 >>>>> MKX and I2.
It's not even a fucking contest.

While the pvp is the main dish of fg, I remember playing the fuck out of Street Fighter II single player mode, people use to gather around the cabinet to see some guy fighting against Bison, and making up many theories about the story of each character

On a casual level he's correct
Professional play is completely different

It's not the 90's anymore grandpa

chun li is not much better and neither is karin.
cammy is lucky.

>animations
There's something weirdly wobbly about the characters' movements in almost every animation.
>You mean during online?
Pure input lag.
>ghost feature
See Still curious to see how it will turn out.

Samsho is one of those franchises you messed around in an emulator for an hour or two before doing something else. It's good to know it's around, and I see the appeal, but actually playing it? Yet alone dropping 60 bucks for the privilege of doing so? God no. Especially not considering online will be a wasteland after two weeks. 60 bucks is reserved for the shit I'm really passionate about and Samsho doesn't fall into that category. I'm not alone in this, but on the other hand KoFXIV moved enough units to be considered a success by SNK, so it will probably do alright.

Think they might add some new modes later? Just arcade and online is pathetic.

>SFV is a piece of shit
Maybe in regards to how Capcom has been monetizing it, but whats wrong with the actual game?
I feel like retards are still just parroting this opinion without knowing what they're talking about, this isn't the shitty launch version of the game anymore that doesn't have VS CPU, multiplayer lobbies and barely worked online anymore

>the genre peaked with SF2 CE
>random stuns
>the peak

>BETTER GRAPHICS WILL SAVE STREET FIGHTER!
I hope retards like you choke on your own spit in your sleep
Literally all Street Fighter needs is slightly stronger defensive options and maybe some sort of move cancelling mechanic with the Vmeter that lets players do ebin 1 frame link combos for hype optimal bullshit during tournaments

Attached: 41d.png (482x315, 90K)

college WiFi doesn't let me play fighting games on console and my PC can't run it

I don't take party games seriously

Same. I spent my childhood playing vanilla SFII over and over again by myself on the SNES because I had no friends who were into video games, let alone something resembling a local scene. But after going online and actually competing, playing against the AI feels boring and trivial. Everyone's free to disagree, but I really think people would enjoy multiplayer much more if they actually gave it a chance and didn't take losses too hard.

Case in point as to why to never listen to Yea Forums about fighting games

>chun li is not much better
Chun has never looked better, and Karin is pretty enough. Disagree and you will have to turn in your hetero card.

>Every game is now a party game
Retard

Attached: 00.jpg (474x266, 19K)

>Realistic western trash Street Fighter
No thanks, Capcom should hire traditional animators to draw sprites that they won't have to digitize so we can just have a game as beautiful as Third Strike without the limitations of the time holding the style back.

Out of all of the companies producing fighting games right now, Capcom is the one that could manage to bring back actual sprites

>Tekken
>not a party game
So what, smash isn't a fighting game because it plays nothing like actual fighting games, but Tekken gets a pass because you like it more?

Capcom not having complete monopoly on genre is a good thing.

Attached: 1537453901618.jpg (643x754, 325K)

Maaaaybe. I wouldn't expect anything substantial, though. Besides, it's a fighting game - 1on1 fighting is the name of the game. And history has shown all those hip modes are never played.

Tekken is a fighting game and smash isn't. It's simple as that

>muh retarded "mvci reskinned into mvc4" rumor

That rumor was like 9 months ago user, it's time to let go

>sprites
Oh look, it's one of THOSE people.

>MK11
>fun
BOCO PLEASE

Pfft, maybe not by you. The more single player modes the better.

Astaroth isn't in it

Attached: astaroth_sc_4_20180406_1533309131.jpg (1920x1080, 251K)

Chun is hot as fuck in sf5 excuse me

But you're still right that 60% of 5's cast is pretty ugly

Do you unironically like 3D models more than traditional animation?
It'd be expensive as fuck but also result in the best looking Street Fighter yet, rather than kinda ugly 3D models that are just good enough.

Compare everyone in SFV to how they looked in SF4, its a general improvement.

>all fighting games now die a month after release
>"And that's a good thing!"

I suppose it's ironic since you're posting art of a dead studio

Nothing about SFV looks realistic or Western

Attached: 1558193289149.jpg (167x206, 11K)

I mean, unlocking stuff is. Stocking up on currency then going on a chest unlock spree in Krypt...I've already sunk hours into it.

As someone who mainly plays Street Fighter, it's actually nice to see other games share the spotlight. That is, until a player's inferiority complex flares up and he feels the need to start a dickwaving contest. Anime players love to do that and lately Tekken fans have been at it, too.

Everyone would enjoy fighting game multiplayer if they just matched against people with their skill level. A close win is exciting regardless if you're grand master or a rookie.

>Me want sprites.
>But also me wants 50 characters on game or it's kusoge.

Attached: 1559344872527.jpg (200x200, 19K)

I just wish anime fighting games weren't so retarded, I like playing a really defensive neutral heavy game with 360 grapplers, and Street Fighter is the only game that really lets me express myself without holding me back with a million retarded gimmick mechanics and an avalanche of inputs to do the most basic shit.
I hate how hard it is to find an anime fighting game where it still feels like I'm going mind to mind with the opponent and the game is just our tool of choice, rather than struggling to fight with the game to do what I want because its trying so hard to be CUHRAZY that it forgot to be even slightly intuitive and even though I know what to do I'm too busy fighting the controller to actually play

Attached: Cn11XGUUsAEcqGe.jpg (573x329, 24K)

I do like the feel of the 3D Street Fighter games over the 2D ones.

SFV launched with like 16 characters

The only extra mode a fighting game needs is a customization mode. Give me something to spend the funbucks I earn in online on. Costumes, accessories, colors, whatever. As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay in a grind/pay to win kind of way.

it doesn't have to be realistic. A game engine is malleable

Sounds like you'd enjoy Granblue Versus. You can play best girl Ladiva.

Sure, but you don't always have that kind of luxury. Especially when the playerbase isn't that large. People have much less tolerance for frustration nowadays. Fighting games are about learning and improving, and in order for that to happen sometimes you need to take the L.

Tekken still lives and till the end of time other fighting games will be salty about it being the best selling series of all time (Smash is not a fighting game).

And games with sprite launch half of less than that.

Just because now you can grab the latest version with 30+ characters don't mean that they popped from thin air.

Take ton of releases to reach a decent number of characters.

T7 has single-handedly destroyed the appeal of customization in fighting games for me. Costumes, colors, profiles and so on are fine, but I don't want to ever fight Akuma wearing a pink mohawk, gamer shades and angel wings. That's fucking disgusting.

zoomers dont understand sprites unless they're being ironic while playing a shitty indie game they bought on steam

This is true. Unfortunately most fighting games have a sweet spot zone for about 3 months from release where everyone is learning and improving together. You have a much higher chance of matching with complete noobs so other complete noobs can actually learn together. Joining later you run the risk of actually having to deal with a decent amount of frustration which means people probably would rather quit and play a more instant gratification game.

At least it's not Create-a-Soul. That is the worst feature ever implemented in SC

Attached: Hair Down.jpg (1920x1080, 291K)

>more characters = better
lmao

t. boomer with a learning deficient or a zoomer trying very hard to fit in

I kind of wonder why with the state of affairs, we see so many threads for fighting games.
I think it just has to do with Discord. Players can find each other much easier and the community is growing.

I don't know why every single retard think that you need learn a sick loop de loop combo to get into pro level when high level gameplay consists on mostly doing pokes then landing some bnb combo 90% of time.

Yeah Tekken 7 went too far. If you're giving people the option of getting accessories, then design the accessories to the character. Like for Akuma let unlocks be different style gis, belts, maybe scar options, something that fits. Character design is one of fighting game's main appeals and it just gets thrown down the shitter if you're constantly seeing random garbage designs online.

BOY I HOPE SFVI STILL HAS UNIQLO ADS

Attached: jpg.jpg (690x388, 42K)

Third strike and ST are the only good Street Fighters
MvC2 was far better, and MvC1 is the real classic
MK9 was better than X
You forgot about Killer Instinct, which definitely was the best fighting game this generation.

Pretty much, yeah. The only solution to this would be a constant stream of new players so there would always be someone around with your own skill level. A free to play model seems like it would do the trick, but several games like DoA had that without much success. Maybe it would be different if a series with a larger profile tried it. Maybe we need to realize that fighting games simply are not popular with the large crowd and never will be, and they should focus on pleasing the existing playerbase.

At the time of SF2 you couldn't even do realism retard. Even MK couldn't and it used full body scans.

The great age of anime fighters is upon us. Old clunky dinosaur games are going extinct.

Attached: 31717394_p0.jpg (943x600, 733K)

No, V-Trigger needs to leave. Caping all the good shit behind this crap is what made me dislike this game literally in the first 15 minutes to begin with, after that was seeing there was no FADC for ebin combos, and then came everything else.

Going from IV to V makes V looks unironically dumbed down.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-09-25-19h02m14s598.jpg (756x480, 64K)

Your virginity will outlive all of them.

Soulcalibur 6 is still great, say what you want. I'm happy. :^)

I thought Injustice was going to a good path for Netherrealm. Then the sequel and MK games happened

>4 makes V look dumbed down
>when the special mechanic of 4 is "HURR EVERY SINGLE ROUND THERE WILL BE TWO SUPERS, DON'T WORRY ABOUT MANAGING YOUR METER BRO, FREE SUPERS EVERY ROUND!"

>lmao fightan should be CRAYZEE, mang!
>Fuck that balance shit, gimme Rainbow Edition retardation!
Nah nigga, fuck that. I don't ever want to fight a Bison or a Boxer with a permanent V-Trigger on.

4 is a pretty fun game but the comeback shit was unbearable and literally chopped my score for it in half.

Back when I used to play Brawlhalla almost daily, I'd find every type of player from all skill levels. The game was several years old and I'd still find people playing like they never picked up a controller before. So maybe a free to play model is a good idea. The game also gave you funbucks per match completed and you could use those to buy characters (while accessories, colors, costumes, etc used real money) so maybe it could be a decent model if tweaked.

>2d games

Attached: kekken.png (708x802, 347K)

The fighting game "scene" before 4 was a bunch of drug runners in basements.

MvC3 is shit compared to 2
SF4 took several versions to get good and is still nowhere near the best
NRS has always been a joke and I2 came out during the SF5 era
ASW didn't break into the mainstream until DBFZ, which is one of their worst releases to date

>ASW didnt break into the mainstream until DBFZ
no, id say xrd did it and even then accent core sold really well, doesnt matter because guilty gear is trash anyway

It's so easy to recognize a baddy.
Ultras in SF4 were very slow to start up after the freeze and could be option select blocked on people's wakeup.
The real fucking problems with SF4 like Focus Attack never get mentioned cause people like you probably enjoyed that shit.

>watch top 8 at combobreaker
>THROW THROW FULLSCREEN ATTACK THROW RAW FINISHING BLOW
making throw teching 50/50 was always retarded, but punishing you for trying to tech a throw when you saw it coming is so fucking stupid there needs to be a new term for it.

MK11 is great. Good netcode, solid balance, you have to actually do more that one bnb for most characters to get Max damage and advantage, and no Mileena.

Calamity Trigger was sprite based and launched with only 12 so what are you bitching about? Where do people get this ludicrous idea base fighting game rosters are going to have up to 30 people. SFV started with 16 then increased to 22 by the end of 2016.
>but SFIV had 25
Yeah after the base game was in arcades for nearly a year which also started out with 16 characters with the other 9 being added for the console release.

Get your heads out of your asses.

>option select blocked
lol this guy

But yeah, focus was also subpar, but the risk/reward with ultras was much higher and more frequently used.

Not sure what your point is, but I was arguing in favour of sprites

>stop talking about gameplay I want to talk about capitalism!
We all know capitalism sucks, this board is about video games

those are unironically based.

The monetization methods are the only real problem with SFV

>no Mileena.

Go away, Boon

>The monetization methods are the only real problem with SFV

I'm not a fan of the entire V Trigger or the neutral/crush-counter focus. I prefer any other SF system over it

I'd rather play Guilty Gear in its place.

i just got destroyer earlier today

But Akuma looks great in Tekken 7

xrd is trash and also a dead game

It takes fucking forever to get a match going. I swear, I get three matches in SFV during the time I'm waiting for one match in T7.

what said and the hunger for more money past the first sale

thank god for Namco

I play it daily without having to go to discord or anything like that, so it's certainly not dead. I'd say I even have an easier time getting games in it than in Tekken, though I get a larger pool of people in Tekken where I run into the same people regularly in GG.

really? i might pick it up on pc then and give it another shot. Im not really an anime fan though, seems like i have to do a lot less thinking when i play anime than when i play tekken and im not a huge fan of that

As much fun as I have had with it, they don't bring you a lot to keep you playing once you hit your skill roof online.

what skill roof would you say that is, at what point did you stagnate?

I play on PS4, but I'm told more people play on PC so I imagine you won't have trouble finding people there. I don't really agree about feeling like you have less thinking to do, the amount of thinking you have to do in any fighting game just depends on who your opponent is I'd say, but GG certainly has the capacity to give you plenty to think about, you have a lot of options at any given moment and there's usually a way for the opponent to exploit anything you could do, so they're more than capable of keeping you on your toes if they're skilled enough, and at that point you'll be thinking plenty.

In a good game I wouldn't have any butt-ugly models to cherrypick

let me explain what i mean when i say less thinking, i mean that theres simply less you can do on a 2d plane, that and at a high level id say tekken requires just as much if not more execution than gg does. The air game does interest me a lot however, but neutral in gg has always been a bit of a joke to me

fighting games live or die on the quality of their single player content, the one truth that both the devs and the hardcore fanbase needs to accept in order to get good games again

Nothing beats Third Strike to this day

>I haven't played fighting games since 3rd Strike.
>Not that I played that one, lol

Don't want to have to jerk off my stick just to move properly.

>fighting games live or die on the quality of their single player content
Bruh look at dis dood
Wait till you see the- OH NO NO NO NO
PFFFFHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA

There is less you can do on a 2D plane compared to a 3D plane assuming each of those aspects are being utilized to their absolute fullest, but I don't think that's much reason for a 3D game to automatically require more thought than a 2D game. There are a lot of mechanics and movement options that are present in GG that have no analogue in Tekken, and that makes for options and things to consider that there is no analogue for in Tekken. Not to say that makes GG have more depth or anything, but I think if you're saying Tekken gives you more to think about it on the basis that it being 3D creates the room for the developers to give you more options, as you have to consider things like sidestepping that take advantage of the fact that the game is 3D, isn't really fair, as there are a lot of things you'd have to think about in GG, or any 2D game, that you wouldn't have to think about in Tekken despite it being 3D.

Outside of projectile YRC I think the neutral in GG is fine, I personally prefer it to Tekken's because of how different characters have more varied approaches to it than Tekken characters, but I would understand someone preferring Tekken's.

>fighting games live or die on the quality of their single player content
You literally couldn't be any more wrong

Attached: 1200x630bb.jpg (630x630, 63K)

kbd is not hard at all man. Once you get used to it that shits second nature and unless you play a character with a backsway the input is super lenient. Even then you dont need to kbd around like a madman, just 1 will get you out of range of most if not all attacks

SF2 have nothing but arcade and versus and still have ton of people playing it.

Story mode and other gimmicks are merely bonus, on top of that fighting game stories are shit.

hey man thanks for the good convo, ill be sure to check out gg a bit more before i decide to dismiss it entirely.

This. Stories in fighting games are so awful they make capeshit look like arthouse cinema. They'd be best off just focusing on the individual fighters and their personal motivation for joining the tournament.

Fighting game stories are fun because that's where you get the idea for DLC/sequel bait from. For established properties it's less important, but for brand new franchises or ones with less "lore" the character stories do a lot for fan interest in new characters. Hell, even in SFV which is established as fuck you got people wanting to play as Rashid's genie bodyguard, or people from Neo Shadaloo.

lol

Neo Shadaloo is dumb, though.

People play fighting game for versus not for wank some lore. Having X or Y pop on sequel or next dlc is cool but it don't really matter.

I like Guilty Gear lore though.

>Samsho is one of those franchises you messed around in an emulator for an hour or two before doing something else
What? It was a good arcade experience where many people actually learned their fighting game basics

>Fighting game stories are fun
No, they're not. They're silly bordering on the retarded and it speaks volumes about yourself if that's the kind of entertainment you seek. Especially when we're talking about video games.

Story in fighting games should work differently than in regular games. Just look at the catastrophes that are story modes in pretty much every fighting game these days. They don't need on overarching plot, but they benefit from framing each character's participation in the fight. Framing, not plotting. For that, the classic arcade structure was perfect.

I agree the versus play is the most important part but saying the roster doesn't matter is just silly. That's "function vs function" talk.

I want to play as the gorilla.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1200x675, 117K)

Attached: Gd1F5o9.jpg (1674x870, 118K)

>I want to play as the gorilla.
Same, but as a different gorilla.

Attached: 30_meme02.jpg (1151x1353, 118K)

Would rather play that than MK's story mode desu. Where do I pre-order?

I'd be a bit disappointed if they did that because I like Rival Schools but I'm not too fond of SF. Ideally there'd be another one, which I have little bit of hope for someday seeing as Itsuno has said he wants to do another one, but just getting some Rival Schools characters in a Capcom crossover game someday would be nice. Just getting another Capcom crossover game would be nice for that matter.

>tfw blazblue story

Even worse that you are forced to read ton of unrelated shit to understand that garbage. And even after that you can't.

Attached: 1511052698124.jpg (575x503, 67K)

SC6 and Tekken are pretty good, Arcsys is still solid, unist is cool, ultimate is better than smash 4.

Also I'm not too sure about MK11's gameplay being worse than MKX's.

There's no need to resort to personal attacks, especially since I feel like we're arguing for the same thing. There needs to be background and lore in fighting games for the reasons I mentioned previously. Of course certain fighting game stories are silly especially when they bend over backwards to justify certain characters fighting certain other characters, but knowing who they are, introducing related characters, knowing their motivation, it all gets people interested in the story which allows developers to expand the roster and gameplay in ways that gets people more invested in the game. That's kind of where Akuma and Evil Ryu came from and they've always been fan favorites.

It's irrelevant to me whether they do this in an overarching story or just in classic arcade structure which is what you're advocating, but I feel like both ways could work if done properly.

God, I miss late 90s/early 00s fighting games.
MvC2
CvS2
3S
Alpha 2
Tekken 3 and Tag 1
All broken messes but damn they were fun.

Blazblue's story was basically a super long visual novel wasn't it?

To be fair, blazblue was supposed to be jrpg. But yeah it's a glorified VN with some bullshit fights inbetween.

I don't get why people keep bringing up "Disney ruined MvCI!" as if Capcom themselves aren't responsible for the gameplay choices and management behind that game.

>>shoddy looking animations
I don't think the animations look too bad. I really like the art style, it reminds me of the Afro Samurai PS3 game.
>>less than 20 characters
Now this is a very valid complaint. How do you have 16 characters on release after VSP had 28? It's just an excuse to charge people extra as DLC characters later on.

Confirmed? That seems unlikely.

if anything, street fighter is the party game of the bunch

twitter.com/WydD/status/1135210098274578432

bwoashit

ever notice how all of the best fighting games are broken messes? maybe the modern obsession with balancing everythan is bad thing.

>the game that invented the genre
>"its not a REAL fighting game"

Of course it's a real fighting game, but it's unga bunga as all hell compared to literally all of it's competition (except NRS trash, obviously). Was mocking the assertion that Tekken was a party game.

Define broken mess.

Stuff like KOF 98 and Garou are pretty "fair" for most characters.

That was Karate Champ.

"Best" is a highly relative term. And I'd argue that people who are after broken messes are hype obsessed memelords.

I didn't know Karate champ had combos and command inputs like literally every fighting game does

SF2 wasn't the first one but the one that popularized and solidified the genre.

Same deal with Pokemon, Mon games go way back into megami tensei.

We need fun fighting games again that don't pander to the established FGC like Bloody Roar, Plasma Sword, Budokai series and Dark Stalkers.

3D fighters are the big gay.

>SNK representative literally one of the first responses saying they're looking to fix it
Actually based

justice for power stone

>random post smelling entirely clueless
>asking for failed or obscure games
Every single fucking time. Don't act like you would buy, let alone play those games.

>Visit fighting game thread on Yea Forums
>"SF 2 was amazing"
>Close thread

I have bought and played every one of those series. Yes even Plasma Sword for Dreamcast.

Nothing wrong with SF2.

But people need get their ass off from Super turbo.

it was amazing but definitely had a bad case of first game-itis

On release? At a tournament?

Yeah, thought so.

I liked Killer Instinct, did you anons?

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f (720x502, 58K)

Aside from Capcom being shit now, ASW took over. Capcomfags won't move over because REEE ANIME

Killer Instinct looks fun as hell and it looks like the character archetypes are super varied but it had such a different fighting system that I'm used to I was unable to git gud while it was still alive. Only match I played pit me against a General Raam after 20 minutes of waiting that proceeded to Supreme Victory me with seemingly little effort. I might go back to it and learn it for real at some point, even though the online is presumably a ghost town.

One thing that hurt it for me is that it had no character specific tutorials. They gave you a decent amount of info in their move list screen but even simple trails would have been good to have. I wanted to play Kilgore even though he's apparently ass.

Infil has a really good guide on how to play if you're used to stuff like SF.

>At a tournament

Stupid FGC retard. I just said that pandering to you faggots is the issue here and that they need to make more fun less serious fighters again.

Yeah, how dare they to make games for their main demographic.

Do you think you suck at fighting games because they're made for "fighting game players" and not because they practice and you don't?

Casualizing a fighting game won't make you suddenly better, it will just make the game more boring.

>main demographic
KEK

>muh RNG

KI is legit the best fighter this generation. It took some work to get to that level but it did so much so well, unique mechanics that actually add as much as they remove are so rare to see. It's hard to believe a change as significant as KI's combo system works as well as it does. With the sound design and character designs and the back and forth mutli-level RPS nature of almost every interaction the whole thing comes together incredibly.
I only got to play a small amount while it was more alive, because I don't have an xbone and dual booting W10 is a pain, but even with how little work I put in it still felt very fun and satisfying, and actually "like a good fighting game".
MS did that game a huge injustice trying to hold it hostage to force people into their ecosystem.

RNG is bad in a fighting game
denying obvious shit isn't an interesting personality quirk