Why did it die?

Why did it die?

Attached: northamerican-retail-ranger-large.jpg (719x1024, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bKJSC_mteIg
github.com/megai2/d912pxy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the game had a outdated framework (even upon release) that limited the things the devs could do with it.
I mean, this game didn't even have a Y axis in its framework when it came out.

it got old and then they released the abomination that is guild wars 2. loved the feel of actually challenging content in the original instead of the lame gw2 endgame stuff.

it didnt, people still play it

shits just a genuinely good game, has aged well but it is OLD. getting close to 15 or 20 years now yeah?

GW2 raids are much harder than anything in GW. In fact, Dhuum is in both games and is a much harder encounter in 2 than he is in the original game.

Support dropped, if they added a new expansion, some qol improvements and make the base game f2p it would come back.

They could make so much money if they would take only the PVP part of the game and remake it into a F2P arena game with loot skins.

i nutted so many times to the girls in the guide books

Attached: 1546734956967.jpg (333x482, 49K)

>that feel you get a good fucking team in random arena, you all know that you're good, you know your role and you kick ass without saying a word to eachother the entire time

Attached: 482.gif (450x253, 1.49M)

Incompetent developers.

>join random arena
>monk/mesmer/a/war
20 seconds later
>RAY OF JUDGEMENT
/resign

>making it 10 rounds in RA then 40 more in team arenas until your members gradually disconnect and some tryhard guild group finally takes you out

Attached: 1556956189632.jpg (250x247, 13K)

>tfw Ebon Dust Aura Dervish in RA.

Attached: 1559227165933.jpg (1080x1312, 110K)

Tbh GW1 mesmer is still the most unique class i've played in an mmo
Thinking back on it, its really fucking gnarly what they do

Attached: 1547401755164.jpg (750x1024, 54K)

GW1 is still being played but it'a a mere shadow of it's former glory. If they had made GW2 with the intention of improving the combat system rather than limiting it to a set number of builds that required you to have certain weapons equipped it would have been a million times better. They really alienated their original player base when that happened. Though it's not entirely their fault. They didn't even have any if the same devs left over by the time GW2 was released. It's really just a shame what happened with gw2. I'm going to be pissed off about how gw2 turned out forever basically. I absolutely can not believe nobody has tried to recreate the skill/combat system of gw1.

best fashion too

NO JUMP BUTTON

The biggest problem was calling it "Guild Wars 2" since it has so little in common with the original.

and thats a good thing

It never died, Guild Wars 2 was released (and was shit), player base slightly dwindled, but nothing ever killed it.

I play it once in a while, there's a ton of shit I haven't explored still, and it's still as good and fresh as ever before, storywise. The main issue is, it's better played with friends, and there are so few people now. At least in the latest iterations you gained much more power over your companions and can now solo the whole thing. But PvP is about dead.

Still, I think it'd give it a second life if they added some stuff here and there so we could fuck around it: unlock some fun cheat options, trigger holiday events, possibly editing/modding tools...? It's an old engine, but it's great at what it does, and highly capable, so many things could be done with it if only we had more freedom. That would give it a second life for sure.

in 1 most people just did pve by themselves anyways, 2 is just a product of that.

EotN was a bad expansion. Take me back to the prophecies/factions metas, please.

This. Its literally my worst regret ever buying gw2.
What a fucking piece of messy shit jesus christ im still mad.
I wouldnt have bought it or be mad about ir if it was just a new random game. But they decided to name it after one of the most legendary pvp games

If you compare it to WoW, it was lacking a lot of QoL updates. There isn't an auction house or a group finder, which isn't helpful as the game expands and your declining playerbase were split among 3 expansions. NCsoft didn't even provide an official forum, the devs even had to post on a fan-forum for updates.

Eventually the Heroes system killed multiplayer-PvE.

There was a group finder, just not an automated one. It was still a great addition though, and I'd argue an automated group finder was far from necessary since the hub outpost design of the game meant if anyone wanted to run the content you were interested in they'd be at the same hub as you already anyway.

It was a singleplayer game made into a mmo.

I wanna beat my dick to more races than just humans

Mhhh, the gw1 player tears are delicious

Sad that you can't feel how some gw2 zones are kino af

Attached: guild-wars-2-thunderhead-peaks.jpg (1200x675, 136K)

It came out too early.

I will never get over how they killed everything unique about it.

The game was absolutely teamplay focused, to the point where you needed bots to complete content.
It was the absolute best PvP MMO I have ever played, and possibly the best multiplayer game I have played right next to Counter Strike and Team Fortress (in it's top shape).
Nothing ever gave me this feeling of epic progression through arenas as we battled through the underworld right up to the golden cities of gods to battle for their favor. This was the absolute best feeling I ever got from a multiplayer game, running through the heaves with my bros.

Lastly, the game had unique PvE, where social interactions would take place in cities (where they should) but exploration was done solo, which gave it an air of actual adventure. I can never get into the mood of braving the wild when there is 10 retards doing a jumping puzzle. The game stops being an adventure and turns into a theme park. Also, killed monsters stayed dead which gave the world a sense of presence that now is forever lost.

I cannot believe how GW2 killed literally every.single.thing. that made it unique and made me love the game. And the worst part is that there is NOTHING to replace it.

>tfw you spend 3000 hours on GW and then you see GW2

Attached: 1556910873927.jpg (1500x1501, 224K)

I feel like the game got stale when Eye of The North rolled out. Heroes, while they're really neat in their own way, did mean that players didn't have to interact with each other to pass harder content. My biggest issue was when they introduced obscenely OP PvE skills, then balanced the majority of hardmode content around everyone having access to Pain Inverter and Save Yourselves. A lot of people wanted stuff like being able to swim and being able to jump too, which was obviously something they couldn't add without a major engine overall.

But the game did heaps of things right. It still looks good graphically, it had tons of unique areas with their own hazards to overcome, the skill system was great both for players and for designing enemies and every class having its own unique armour was great. People look down on the instancing as a negative thing, but I think it actually worked in the game's favour, since they could balance encounters around having so many people for a particular area. Also, the soundtrack was fucking great. Pic related.

Attached: you can now hear the main theme playing in your head.jpg (300x424, 43K)

>They didn't even have any if the same devs left over by the time GW2 was released
That's not true. They still had them. They just had 200 additional devs to the about 50-70 GW1 people

>tfw got full vanquisher without paragon on raw elementalist nuker when all enemies had like 100+ elemental resists
Barely used pain inverter either outside countering some AoE heavy individuals.

Same. Fapped raw to Ranger, Mesmer, and Dervish.

>*Power Blocks ur skillbar*
>your entire team folds like a house of cards
Heh, nothin personnel monkie.
It is a matter of fact that GW1 GvG would have been half as good as it was if not for the Mesmer class.
Without it, between blindbot Eles and prot Monks, every match would have come down to hour long stalemates.

>running a wammo with roj in FA
good times

Mesmer is, without a doubt, the greatest brainfart ever to grace the gaming world, both the incarnation from the first and second game.

>GW1
>Hey, do you mind if I utterly dictate the pace of the fight and make you unable to defend yourself if you even think of fighting back? Didn't think so.

>GW2
>I'm over here! Wait no, here! Oops, over there! Surprise, it was all clones! I'm actually capturing the point now.

If it wasn't obvious, then yes, I am fucking mad. Death to mesmers and those who unironically play them.

Says a lot that apologists for GW2 resort to empty zoomer buzzwords like "kino".
But I've slowly come to grudging terms with GW2 now that there's a bunch of content to play with the two expansions and LS maps. As atrocious as the story is, there's actual fun and nice rewards to be had playing the game now.

I like GW2 but it's nothing like GW1

assasinplayers need to learn some E.M.P.A.T.H.Y

Aw, did someone Diversion your Word of Healing one time too often, monkie?
You know in your heart that Monks would have been far too strong without the Mesmer class to put them in their place. All things must find balance.

Attached: Diversion.jpg (248x250, 8K)

100% agreed.

>Skill is called Empathy
>Is strictly used by sociopaths

Attached: 1414978253315.jpg (433x380, 26K)

>Guild Wars 2 has more trannies than actual wars between guilds

Attached: 1553594292350.png (1119x1552, 1.74M)

but hey at least gw2 is pretty >:O

>get shit team
>manage to noodlenig and kite enemies for a solid hour while the rest of my team is dead until the other team ragequits

Attached: 1416506374592.jpg (362x366, 33K)

I remember having a guild with some friends and other randos they found. Going through GvG and other PvP content. Tackling difficult PvE together. It was all so 'tight', and still felt different from other MMOs. The PvP content was structured, and had proper limits on what could happen. It wasn't hopping around and hoping people couldn't tell what you were doing. You knew what everyone was up to, it was clear and deliberate.

Then GW2 happens and yeah it had charm, but it felt way too much like bowing to those who wanted Guild Wars but WoW.

i hate you

Attached: 1547417219485.jpg (64x64, 4K)

>queue as Ele in RA
>get 3 other Eles on team
>call out any target and nuke him
>rinse repeat for 25 games

Good times

wow you must be the guy ice skating in marhan grotto all day long

Using this shit awakened something in me. I love playing like a massive frustrating cunt in multiplayer games now.

>ywn solo farm UW
>ywn do RA
>ywn do JQ

it hurts bros

youtube.com/watch?v=bKJSC_mteIg

obligatory

>tfw you think nothing can save 2 and then they roll out the most well done mounts ever made in a game

what went so right?

GW was fun, but I feel like it was way too dominated by FOTM builds and it was hard to keep those in check due to the multiclassing system that enabled people to find all kinds of broken shit that Anet then had to nerf to maintain a semblance of PvP balance.

I, for one, do not miss bunny thumpers, touch rangers or obsidian spikers. Yeah, each of these could be countered, but teams running them were usually prepared to deal with any counter attempts and so the only path forward was to join in until whatever it was that gave the edge was nerfed.

for me it was spiking stragglers with teleporting assassin builds in alliance battles

Attached: 1532185455405.jpg (64x64, 5K)

Last time I was on JQ was still technically running, its just that 90% of both sides were bots running N/A suicide nuke builds.

they are excellent, but I feel like they came too early.
Back when HoT came out, it seemed like they wanted to add a new, unique movement option for each expansion, but now that mounts are around, they can just keep adding those instead of stuff like the glider.
really I just wanted snowboards if we ever get a snow expansion

Attached: gw058.jpg (1920x1080, 457K)

im not sure which i'd rather have, the meta being gimmicky bullshit constantly, or the meta being the same for literally 5 years like it is in 2.

literally nothing except for those

considering that mount skins probably account for 90% of their income they probably should have done them sooner

>queue JQ as aura monk
>use auras at shrine people
>hide somewhere so i wont get spot imediatly
>suicide nekros keep dying trying to take the shrine and fail
why did it have to die

The necro is the perfect qt gf I always wanted. Hold me Yea Forums!

Attached: Depravity.jpg (248x248, 22K)

>people loudly crying because they can't blitz through the collections required for the skyscale in a single day
Caving to the elitist crybabbies was a mistake, there's literally nothing wrong with 24 hour timegates.

>anons are still seething about Mesmer bulli ten years after the fact
Best class ever designed.

question:
why guild wars is remembered fondly and what made it different/better then other mmos and its sequel?

more RPG variety, options and content

>affordable, no monthly fee
>runs smooth as butter on any computer, no slowdowns, no bugs
>fucking great classes and skills
>great PvE areas, great PvP arenas
>PvE and PvP rely on same mechanics
>good graphics for the time
>absolutely stellar art
>god tier Jeremy Soule soundtrack

It was masterfully designed on all points.

it's skill system, plays like a deck of cards, you mix and match them

Limited party size and limited ability choices meant that builds were based on your abilities more than the percentage differences in what you could do with the abilities everyone had access to. That is to say, in Guild Wars, your ability bar only allowed 8 abilities (called skills), and one of those could be an 'elite' skill, which was more powerful than the others. Your skills were based on your primary class and your secondary class, so you could have a warrior who had access to a little bit of healing from monk, or a little bit of disruption from mesmer.

The game was built around a PvP like environment first, so even the PvE content felt was balanced around how the skills worked in PvP.

There were different game modes, new expansions brought in new classes and new skills, and the meta was always changing. It was amazing. because of the structured nature of the combat, you could have classes that would be unheard of in other MMOs, like the Mesmer who was like playing blue in magic the gathering, build around disruption and countering rather than direct damage of their own.

atleast gw2 finally released the last episode

Attached: gw001.jpg (1920x1080, 550K)

The combat system. You have a wide variety of builds. It's like a TCG, you collect skills like cards, and select 8 of them to form a deck. You can specialize into very niche builds like a literal rezbot that does nothing but rezzing.

unique builds that you cant really do in any other game, let alone an mmo.

pretty sure gw gave me a fetish for build crafting.

Auction house isn't a good thing though, one of the biggest flaws of Guild Wars 2 that killed the RPG aspects of it all. Unless you played the game for AH only, then it was one of the best economic simulators you can play of its time, and the dozens of people I know think its a good game just for it.

>kill off dragon at the end of episode 5
>wow maybe we'll actually get some character in the commander no-
>revive literally in the first few minutes of the next episode
okay so what was the fucking point then

Attached: gw987.jpg (1920x1080, 699K)

GW2 environments are fantastic, its sad that everything else is souless as fuck. It would of been a tonne of fun doing territorial clears of old areas like in GW1, or skill hunting in those lands with rare monsters requiring the jumping puzzles. Instead they shat on GW1 and made too much of the gameplay mechanics a steaming load of shit.

Skyscale collection is well behind me now, and I've long made peace with the time gates.

Main issue I felt with the feeding is it was such a long time to wait for practically no effort. At least with the collections and S4 currencies you had to invest a decent chunk of time into completing those.

Of course in retrospect you could be doing the necessary farming while waiting between feedings, but that was a complete unknown at the time.

Attached: aurene 2.0.webm (732x702, 2.82M)

Hold up. After that whole dramatic reveal of her having died at the end of the last episode, they just fucking revive Aurene?

Nah, miss me with that gay shit.

Mesmers and mesmer skills were 90% of the fun in playing a monk. Dodging those assholes and their e-draining, diversioning, blackout spamming shit made healing more fun than in any other game to date.

>The commander once again gets put to the side to tell aurene's le epin story
>Krackhead the dragon was a good boy who was hurtin and dindu nuffin
>Aurene is now basically super dragon god of the setting
>We got Kormir'd AND Trehearne'd at the same time

Attached: 1468986032321.png (1136x640, 652K)

To be honest it would have been more terrible if she stayed dead. All of LS3 and LS4 would have been a waste.

It really grinds my gears how they have one of the best environmental artists and designers in the field of mmos, and they fucked it.

Be honest, you never even made a single attempt at coming up with your own build, let alone a team build, to counter any FotM shit. You just copied the same gw-wiki builds like everyone else.

Jesus fuck this game is a god damn eyesore.

it wouldnt be guild wars if the player character wasnt getting super cucked by some gay side character.

>it's another billion scavenging hunts disguised as new content
>latest episode has some of the worst writing in video game history
Imagine "playing" this and defending it publicly.

I thought they'd give us at least an episode with her dead and then revive her because obviously the gays who play this game wouldn't let her die for good
the commander is still essentially a non-character and I figured with the pet dragon dead we might get some development regarding how everyone the commander likes dies and every plan fails, but no
fuck this game's story is terrible

Attached: gw046.jpg (1920x1080, 629K)

Anet should just make an action platformer single player/co-op game with mount movement and great environments at this point. That's what they're best at.
Too bad they got fucked over by NCSoft.

Because time passes and people move on, although I imagine GW2 unlocks got some back to try the game. Lack of a sub also means there's less rabid audience that needs to justify their payments.

Attached: GW1-Defenders_Zeal.jpg (248x250, 12K)

>fuck this game's story is terrible

I always felt GW2's story was at it's strongest during the first 40 levels when it was still your actual personal story. They simply couldn't keep it interesting or consistent afterwards, and expansions were all over the place in what they were going for.

Attached: queensdale-entry.jpg (896x504, 130K)

>trapper rangers
now that was ebin

>play the game for years and love it
>decide to come back to it
>can't remember account password
>try to recover account
>"Please enter the full first and last name of the characters on your account"

Attached: 1559221698578.png (1079x635, 21K)

why is there no gw2 general anymore?

Attached: slam.gif (540x304, 1.34M)

>he actually lurks MMO generals
How many guys do you jerk off with on discord a day?

What's the point of a cinematic story in an MMO? Isn't the real experience the interactions between players?

It is the fucking worst countermeasure. If you have your game key somewhere that can be used to restore your account.

just /r/traps

guild drama turned into some autist bot spamming the thread whenever its created.

thus, it can no longer exist. also mods literally cannot stop this person and are lucky he only attacks gw2.

it got overtaken by some bots iirc

Because it's new age MMORPG cancer. People don't actually WANT to interact with others, they just like the idea of seeing them run around and have a functional auction house system. Singleplayer story was introduced as replacement. Comparing SW Galaxies and SW The Old Republic really emphasized this difference.

they tried to do the whole interaction between players story in season 1, but because everything was temporary content and if you missed it, that was it, it didn't really pan out.
It doesn't help that the game might as well be singleplayer since the only interaction you'll have with other players is when you do a raid or a fractal (actually no I've run a bunch of fractals without speaking a single word)
so yeah, it doesn't really work as an MMO, and it's told poorly.

when will Arenanet finally fix their performance issues? Dx9 in 2019 is pretty retarded.

Why don't people just make stealth generals to avoid the bot?

github.com/megai2/d912pxy
you can try this

the general was worthless anyway. half of it would just be furry porn on an average day. most generals are like this actually.

Spammer did everyone a favor, though. It was furry central with very little game discussion.

>tfw I got the GW cover of the guy

They actually released a pretty sweet update somewhat recently that even adds more inventory space and other stuff

was done by like 1 guy at Arenetnet in his spare time but still

In fairness, both those images are minimum graphics

mine was max though
the game didn't look that great back in 2012 and time certainly hasn't done it any favours

Attached: gw982.jpg (1920x1080, 681K)

I really liked the charr personal story's warband. You go out and recruit, and I chose that funny companion who had really good one liners. Felt wholesome all around. Then that just disappeared around level 30?!
The world is nice to explore but that's it. Though I havnt playedthe expansion , but I dooubt the everyone-stack-and-dps-meta has changed.

Does anyone still run low level fractals?
I want to do them but it seems like the ship has sailed any anyone who still plays is fucking around in the endgame areas.

>haven't done any group content since killing Zhaitan on release

Is any of it worth the effort of dealing with other people?

the only thing they should change is to finally fucking support vulkan.
even dota 2 started support vulkan, its just embarassing.
btw i thin gw2's graphic looks really good. a lot better then WoW and other mmos

ys, it just takes longer to find groups.
at best you search groups to clear multiple fractals

>even dota 2 started support vulkan
Dota 2 was ported over to source 2.
GW2 is still using GW1 legacy code.

DX12 won't fix GW2's performance. The bottleneck has nothing to do with the gpu.

It was primarily a PvP game and the expansion release schedule broke the dev team. They froze the PvP ladder with a bad balance patch and lost their PvP playerbase.
Still some people playing it and it is still better than Guild Wars 2.

Because it's not a mmo if you're separated from other players everywhere except the hubs and you can do most if not all content alone.

It was too complex at the end, after EotN it was hard to get new players into the game because everybody was able to recognize most useful skills after a split second of casting and nobody would take them into GvG. Balanced builds required at the end a lot of knowledge so new players went for the FotM build and ruined the game for everyone.

GW2 should have been GW1 without the bullshit skills to keep complexity managing, less mechanics (no porting, no chants), a lot of QoL improvements and more focus on PvP instead of introducing PvE-only skills.

I think they realized that it was too complex, but simplified it beyond relief for GW2 and then went full retard with the PvE focus and the stupid story.

lmao whats up in gw2, why are the halloween event batwings suddenly worth 30g?
i still have 40 from halloween event, im fucking rich

Thank fuck I got into the beta and realised it wasn't the GW goodness I wanted and got an immediate refund on my pre-order. So I at least have to thank it for teaching me that pre-orders are a retarded concept.

>WvW

Attached: 1404324260120.jpg (470x352, 110K)

1. he didn't say anything about DX12
2. if you fix the core performance issue (single threaded engine) it would leave the renderer as the big new bottleneck. there is basically no point in trading bottlenecks so a rewrite would imply both rewriting the engine for multithreading and rewriting the renderer to take advantage of it so that you don't have any more software bottlenecks. in short, DX9 in 2019 is retarded. it would be even better to stick with DX11 so you aren't requiring Win10, but they can also use vulkan to go modern and multiplatform.

The engine is spaghetticode from 2004 with the people who wrote the spaghetti long gone from Arenanet.
It'd be faster to rewrite the whole game on a new engine than to try and fix the old one.
But neither will happen.

>GW2 will never capture this feel

Attached: 1549384792624.png (1280x1024, 2.36M)

i thought it was pretty obvious that it would be a bait and switch. they never really explained why she would be "dead". the characters just assumed so for no reason at all and nobody questioned it. it is shit writing though

it was too pure for this world

Mein Neger!

This is probably the only non-cardgame I've seen take inspiration from mtg. They even adapted it in a way that was much better imo.