I know there are games today with much larger maps...

I know there are games today with much larger maps, but what is it about san andreas that makes it feel absolutely massive?

Attached: gsdx_20190530155731.jpg (1600x1120, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/njaHY_WTTBU
youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Clever layout. The roads are curvy and there's a lot of hills, so it feels like you spend a lot of time driving even if its only a short spot away. A lot of smaller towns and gas stations and stuff that give the impression of a very populated landscape.

The city areas were really dense, which provided a lot of contrast to the large open areas of nothing between the three cities.

Because it came off the back of Vice City which was tiny

far cry 5, red dead 2 and countless other games do this as well

This. I was blown away how big VC was, and then playing SA, and seeing just one section having the equal size to VC was one of those moments you just had to experience in that era. Just, fucking huge.

>GTA 3
>Load between each island
>Vice City
>Islands are bigger but still have load screens
>San Andreas
>No island loading
All were on PS2. How?

San andreas is still the best GTA. Prove me wrong without saying MUH TECHNOLOGY

gta sa actually has island loading, but it is so fast that you can barely notice it

It's what happens when you get used to the hardware. It's the same how games that release at the beginning of a consoles life look like dogshit compared to games released at the end of the consoles life. PS2 is the perfect example of that.

Devs didn't know the limitations of the hardware when III and VC were made, also the draw distance in SA covered up what the game couldn't load in the far distance.

Because you a busta just like CJ and Sweet.

Attached: 1558333704975.jpg (460x468, 21K)

Nope, you're right. GTA IV was okay, but it started the shift from gameplay to spectacle. GTA V was just bad.

I modded it once to unlock the draw distance on PC, it ruins the game's scale when you can see Las Venturas clearly from Los Santos, never did it in subsequent installs

VC was better because of the cheats.

Attached: Flying tank.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Similar to Tony hawks American wasteland where long tunnels masked loading screens?

it's full of blacks

/pol/ is that way my dude

I saw a bigfoot one day behind the trees

I cant.
This. Since 4 rockstar have been making their games worse and focusing more on trying to be immersive sims then fun vidya. I'd hate to see what they'd do to Bully in this day and age.

VC aged like shit and is terrible in every way except atmosphere

Scale and good design.

It made you want to take the longer route for atmosphere rather than just cutting across the forest, but you could go through the forest trails too if you wanted. Same in the desert, take the highway or the backroads.

I like most things about it...but the missions. Most of the missions really fucking suck. There are only a handful I truly enjoyed playing.

>SA runs the best
>it's full of black people
Really makes you think....

Theres a trick I only realized when playing multiplayer

In the main avenue of Vinewood, cars always go slower with a fixed speed limit, even if you drive a sports cars, you go like a slow car

Where did it go so wrong from this to rdr2?

SA=best gameplay
VC=best story
I think we can all agree on this.

If you don't you're a faggot

the money crept in

They slowed down car movement speed from previous games so the world feels bigger.

The only good character in 5 was Lamar.
But CJ was based. For a busta.

Everyone started to copy GTA so they thought they had to change it up and go for more realism.

Who gives a fuck about the story?

Sony winning the generation by default, then chasing muh mature gamer market and turning everything into highly-curated-cinematic-third-person-over-the-shoulder-experience

Vice City's story wasn't all that, what made it was the setting and soundtrack

What kind of dumbass question is this? Are you retarded? Do you enjoy michael bay movies?

Yeah, this happens often if you mod older open world games with near-limitless draw distance, it feels so weird to stand at hills of Los Santos and to see Las Venturas just as if it was a stone’s throw away, or see Mt. Chiliad being so close to Los Santos beaches. San Andreas is very good at masquerading its true size and feeling bigger than it really is as long as it has its fog to cover reality, but it all falls apart as soon as it is removed.

Same also happens with Morrowind, you end up in situations where you can basically see from one city to next if you just climb up a hill. It really blows up one’s previous memories about the world distances and routes.

I enjoy the films of Wes Anderson

They're focusing more on story and shit over gameplay.

>I know there are games today with much larger maps
Game today provide you a GPS UI / direction arrow for everything.
As such, you never have to actually memorize the environnement, just keep your eyes on the marker and zoomzoom
Less memory of the area -> Area feel smaller/emptier.
Remove the map completely and suddenly even a small village feel big because you *have* to memorize every street, every back garden you can use as a shortcut, etc ...

cope

I think the art style really helped them lower those loading times for objects. I remember looking at a car while driving and it only had 3 different shades of colour to show sun reflection.
It was actually really simply done when you analysed it but the effect it made was really cool. I assume they cut a lot of corners here on character and building models but hid them so well it actually made the graphics feel as though they'd gotten better.

>I enjoy the films of Wes Anderson
Ah, so you're a retard. Got it.

youtu.be/njaHY_WTTBU

GTAIII = best overall game

I remember that very first time I was thrown out of LS into the Countryside. Trying to find my way back to LS without prior knowledge of the Map was glorious, it felt like a real journey, an adventure.

I mean, look back at this SA Trailer.
It's hard to explain now in 2019 what it felt like to see this for the first time. Confimring so many things that people had only dared to dream about. THIS was how to hype people.

youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g

Which eceleb did you get this opinion from, little zoom zoom?

>muh sony boogeyman

VC has an unbelievable art style

I liked rdr2 overall but fuck it has some bug issues. It felt like a lot of the gameplay shit was them wanting to make it survival with how hunting has so much to it now or the crafting/cooking but they realised normalfags would get bored so they ended up only going halfway with it, leaving it unsatisfying for normalfags who don't care for it and those who wanted it to go all the way.

Sorry I don't play VIDEO GAMES for the story. Fucking moron.

It's probably got something to do with me being the age you were when you played VC or SA when I played III.

If you think that stories matter in video games, you need to kill yourself.

There's more stuff to do.

>being such a brainlet that you can't follow a video game story
So is CoD or Fortnite your favorite game?

I was amazed at the highway system when the game came out, it made the world feel so huge

Attached: sa highway.jpg (989x537, 174K)

It’s also excellent at giving the world some verticality and a feeling of grandeur in architecture. Imagine how boring that street would look if those were just all flat intersections.

Any idea what's the first song?

Go watch Netflix faggot normie. Games must be ludo first, kino later

Been playing gta since 2 and VC and SA were clear improvements over 3, so nostalgia is a pretty shit excuse.

>Go back and replay VC
>Start to realize just how small the map actually is

Attached: 1542973598630.jpg (640x800, 52K)

So is your mother, but you still love her.

Just google whip it baby

They shouldn't be the focus, doesn't mean they should be bad or completely ignored.

>whip it baby
thanks bro

based

Attached: Enjoying a film by Wes Anderson.png (598x530, 20K)

And not just small, but so ridiculously flat too. I know that Miami isn’t know for being a city with large hills or anything, but Vice City still feels almost uncannily flat when you go play it today and don’t get blinded by the wow effect it had back in the day.

very cute

>normie
>ludo
>tv meme word
This is just embarrassing

It's how contained it all is too. The 2nd Island only really has one long road where you can drive fast, and half of the map is useless Ocean, Beach & Airport.

Maybe it's wrong to hold it to modern standards, as it really was a big wow back then.

I know the GTA SA map by heart. I have probably over 20 thousand hours in this game.

What's the weirdest most foreboding area for you?

I just couldn't get over the huge leap III made. I don't care about how big a game is as long as the world feels alive. III just has a great map that isn't filled with big stretches of emptiness (beaches and golf courses).
Missions are really fun and memorable too. I barely remember most of Vice City or San Andreas end game but some of III's missions really stand out like the construction area, Maria at the docks and of course the grand finale at the Dam.

That first time driving down into Portland from the bridge, it was like Videogames were brand new again. And i'd been playing since 1991. One of the few awe inspring moments.