How do we save horror games Yea Forums??? It seriously seems like we haven't had a good horror game in years

How do we save horror games Yea Forums??? It seriously seems like we haven't had a good horror game in years.

Attached: 1538892838260.jpg (640x480, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DPh1nVj2VC4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is this picture being reposted over and over again lately?

someone redpill me on this meme plz

reddit

seriously though, how the actual FUCK do we save the horror genre?

Attached: mkdsaf.webm (640x360, 2.85M)

People should make horror games of the phobias they have instead of "spindly pale man chase you" games

Only game that did horror correctly was Harvester in that there wasn't necessarily a monster and there weren't jumpscares, but instead there was a constant feeling of unease and that something was slightly off (except for the last half of the game was all combat), along with including scenes which would be considered too controversial for today's standards. We will never get another good horror game until people realize to separate fiction from reality and depict truly horrifying scenes.

Alien Isolation was a great horror game and that was like 2 years ago.

by making horror games with actual gameplay instead of just running and hiding from enemies.

ITT: low IQ fags pretending to be fearless to look tough on fucking Yea Forums

>"hasn't been a good horror game in years"
>REmake 2 came out a couple months ago
>had everyone shitting themselves over Mr. X

Maybe you should, you know, try some of the newer ones. There's even been great indie horrors like Lost in Vivo.

>inb4 "but RE2 is trash, cut content blah blah blah"

/x/'s backrooms meme, which was an interesting subject that became spammed over and over again as LARPers kept adding "lore" to a common place visited in dreams. easily the worst thing that board has seen lately, and that says a lot.

that would require actual introspection though

This. I can replay RE1-3 endlessly but I cannot even make myself do a 2nd playthrough for most modern horror games. Once you have beaten the game there is no reason to come back to it.

RE2 is a great game, but it's really not all that scary. First few times you have Mr. X chasing you are pretty tense, but after you know all the jump scare spots and have played like two runs it's just annoying. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but the zombies really don't spook me like they used to. If it came out like 17 years ago around the time I played REmake it would have made me shit myself, but I just didn't find any of the enemy designs or like 99% of the situations they put you in scary.

Attached: aliens.gif (400x215, 682K)

>Alien Isolation
>2 years ago
user I...

Sexual horror

Attached: 1370876-f542367f7c-00000010.jpg (1280x1542, 75K)

Attached: 1421422-db95d5a06a-00000046.jpg (715x1000, 147K)

Attached: 1559190268007.png (640x480, 503K)

Video games just aren't scary as there's no real sense of danger. Maybe one day when VR is immersive enough they will be. I'd rather horror games focus on fun game play before trying to "scare" people. Let there be creepy environments, enemy designs, and a soundtrack to create an atmosphere that at best unsettles players but the game should still be primarily focused on providing fun gameplay.

Attached: 1421422-db95d5a06a-00000049.jpg (715x1000, 166K)

keep going

Attached: 1558264829316.png (1024x576, 531K)

>/x/ posts cursed image
>user makes a small backstory
>autistic LARPers try to create tons of lore
>Youtubers catch on, adds le Spooky monster
>redditors come from youtube in droves
>it's now a FOTM horror trend

That's just sweat i swear

Attached: IMG_20190531_190137.jpg (706x1000, 137K)

Attached: 1228114-59f1aae94f-00000001.png (600x810, 131K)

Attached: 1228114-59f1aae94f-00000002.png (600x810, 104K)

Attached: 1228114-59f1aae94f-00000003.png (600x810, 120K)

>Video games just aren't scary as there's no real sense of danger.
false. anyone who says *insert medium here* isn't scary fails to understand the workings of horror within that medium, and/or lacks the ability to suspend their disbelief for the sake of enjoying such works.

Yet another forced shit meme

VR. That's literally the solution. Just look at that Alien game or the new FNAF VR game.

Thread is kill, horror is dead

Attached: 1228114-59f1aae94f-00000004.png (800x1080, 195K)

People are legitimately retarded here, end of story.

>VR
yeah cause game where not scary without it retard. the real problem is being so decensored to everything that is "considered" scary

>decensored
desensitized, user.

what the fuck is this user

It comes from /x/ but now normalfaggots discovered it

WHACK IM

IT'S PAYNE

Finally, someone who shares in my opinion that Sadako needs a big donkadonk

Attached: spookwaifu.png (540x717, 201K)

had potential, but then /x/ overplayed their hand and demanded it needed a grimdark edgelord story instead of being an incomprehensible situation of Lovecraftian horror

HOLD IT

Did you have a stroke while writing this?

yes. a robot chicken gave me a spook.

As always, normalfags ruin everything

Yeah no I understand horror just fine and can suspend my sense of disbelief for any work of fiction in order to enhance my own entertainment value. The difference is I'm not a literal child or a sensitive little bitch that scares easy like you. Most horror games are full of shitty overused tropes and have shallow plots so at the very least they should focus on being fun to play rather than "scary".

Observation was released a week ago and it's probably the best horror game ever made.
The developer's previous game, Stories Untold is also good and was released in 2017.

Then we have SOMA, Frictional Games' masterpiece. Then we have great stuff like Visage, Allison Road, etc.

And of course, games like Resident Evil 7, R2MAKE, etc.

Attached: Stories Untold_2019_05_31_01_53_25_242.png (1680x1050, 1.33M)

phoneposting with autocorrect turned on

>thicc amazon ghost girl comes out of big screen tv

hell even FNAF was good enough to become as popular as FortNite

uh oh of course you'd turn out to be the "tough guy" type. your opinion is irrelevant here and you can kindly fuck off if you're going to be a petulant child about it.

sidenote: i haven't been scared by a game since the original Silent Hill as a kid, but you still show a very elementary understanding of the subject.

God i wish that were me

Attached: 1043982-25ff7456c6-00000002.jpg (600x800, 104K)

>tfw no qt ghost gf

youtube.com/watch?v=DPh1nVj2VC4

>0:33

Yeah, it hurts

Attached: IMG_20190531_192000.jpg (600x800, 172K)

Just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it's irrelevant if anything you just proved my point you're a little sensitive twat. But please tell me what I "don't understand about horror".

by impregnating your mother. hopefully she will give birth another horror

Now this I can get behind.

Attached: 1405632948424.gif (300x300, 471K)

so you're saying nothing in horror has unsettled you in the moment? left you thinking about it late into the night? it isn't about feeling that fight or flight sense of "scared", you literal mongoloid. it's about building an atmosphere of dread and/or helplessness, putting you in situations that even if "scared" has no place as a descriptor, are enough to leave you on edge due solely to how fucked up they are.

get out of here, mouthbreather. you seem to be the only one who can't handle opinions he dislikes, seeing as how i didn't insult you before you lashed out at me (again, like a petulant child). who's the sensitive twat again?

Maybe they are just niggers scared of white people.

I've actually thought about what would happen if a game about incredibly detailed insects became popular
I don't think I'd be able to live any longer

Was I supposed to see something?

This shit is not scary. Stop posting this

Wait, does she have shimapan on or not? Is that the real scary ghost?

Attached: 159941-9af9d44283-00000028.gif (500x500, 39K)

SPOOKED YA

Attached: 159941-9af9d44283-00000029.gif (502x491, 37K)

>he doesn't have possessed ghost panties that change colour and pattern upon arousal levels
Look at him, look at him and laugh.

Attached: spoopy.gif (751x514, 3.86M)

There's only one picture of her without the stripes on the panties but its because it doesn't need to be detailed in that picture.

>don't... don't sniff me there.

Attached: 1391666339498.jpg (400x400, 30K)

Would you?

Attached: sample_b76eec5cc69d1529bd7fbc38d1fbb9bf.jpg (850x1303, 187K)

>Seeing as how I didn't insult you
You've been projecting your own pretentious attitude onto why I have the opinion I do the entire time. That sense of dreadful atmosphere is what I fucking said should be included in more games in my initial post you fucking retard.

you can't post that and not say the name of the game

WOULD I?

Attached: file.png (500x343, 195K)

Diluvion
It's apparently shit

Attached: 1324340798350.jpg (1024x768, 171K)

Diluvion.

Attached: spoop.png (591x437, 356K)

>possessed ghost panties that change colour and pattern upon arousal levels
I actually want this.
>tfw have to constantly match underwear with hair ties
Detailed enough to put the extra cotton bit on the panties and have it be shown, though. Seems like an oversight to me

>>Video games just aren't scary
while also saying that, which seems to contradict your point on building dread. if video games can't be scary their can be no dread. that IS being scary, peabrain. i've been projecting nothing, and you call me pretentious because you have no other argument without fucking contradicting yourself. i'm done insulting you, you do enough of that on your own. and since you seem to need a reminder:

>noun
>1.
>great fear or apprehension.

>I actually want this.
I actually want that in a hentai game.

I expressed a different connotation for both you're just arguing semantics and lack reading comprehension.

Do you think it would work better in a fantasy and more magical setting, or a sci-fi one?
They could be magically enchanted, or some sort of super future clothing, where everyone just buys one pair of underwear and it can change and morph.

no, you just don't know what the fuck you're saying and have too much pride to admit it. that's fine though, you're only hurting yourself.

notice no one else has replied to your initial post? it's because it's wrong. wrong and laughable.

You're only arguing semantics because of how I articulated myself and tried to reiterate what I initially said. The fact you're now using the amount of responses I garnered as an insult shows you have nothing of substance to add.

Both scenarios could work. Though if talking about a magical/fantasy setting, then I think possessed panties would be even better because then they'd be a separate character on their own. Talking with the heroine and changing as the game progresses. In a sci-fi scenario it could be some nano machines that change the shape of them through out the game. Either way, I wish something like that had been done in a h-game, since the basic idea is very hot.

Attached: 1426486568658.png (640x640, 457K)

What really ruins it is that fucking noclipping is officially how you get into the backroom
This thing you can do in video games is used as a reference for getting into the backroom and all sense of tension and realism is gone

>The fact you're now using the amount of responses I garnered as an insult shows you have nothing of substance to add.
or more accurately, that you had nothing of substance to say, as further evidenced by your following posts. i'm done here user, but maybe it'd be a good idea going forward to articulate yourself a little better, and have a starting point with actual foundation to boot.

this thread got autistic incredibly quick

Clearly I had something of substance to say since it got you upset enough to respond this much

>Horror segment in a non-horror game

Attached: 1542952034501.png (1328x468, 310K)

Horror genre was tarnished by walking sims interactive movies.
Even PT is a walking Sim and most fags including Yea Forums will praise it.

Make smething more than a walking sim

video games can't be scary because they require control and having control is anti-horror.

This

So like what happened with SCP but in one week instead of 10 years?

You also have to fix the fact that in most horror games, death is meaningless.
When death is meaningless, you stop caring as much.

>The scariest vidya deaths you've ever had were in fucking Runescape

Someone just needs to make a less cartoonish Subnautica.

Thanks now I'm having flashbacks

You need to add in secondary effects from death, then.
>die
>game immediately saves and returns you to your last used save/checkpoint
>notice that the character sounds different when breathing, doesn't quite walk the same, vision occasionally blurs for a moment
>more deaths result in further changes, gutteral sounds when breathing, vision blinks to infrared spectrum for an instant
>the monsters are gradually turning you into one of them
>best ending is achieved with no deaths
>several endings show a deformed MC escaping/surviving
>NG+ opens up if you get fully mutilated and you play levels as a monster stalking survivors -- they're better-equipped than you were, but can be separated and taken down
>game features co-op multiplayer as survivors, monsters, and competitive multiplayer with players in both groups

That just sounds tedious more than scary.

get back to posting sexy ghost girls daMMIT.

Meh. You'd still have the standard fare of creepy enemies and shit, it just attempts to alleviate the "doesn't matter if I die" problem.

Only if the game is set up in such a way that dying is nearly unavoidable or avoidable only through tedium.

Ironman runs aren't a new concept. Ironman ending wouldn't be anything special.

Condemned is the ONLY horror GAME actually made. RE, SH, Amnesia, Layers Of Fear, Lost in Vivo, they're all fucking boring because they have no GAMEPLAY
LOOKING FOR KEYS IS NOT FUCKING GAMEPLAY

WHAT GAMES ARE LIKE CONDEMNED FUCKING TELL ME

Attached: enogh.jpg (316x202, 30K)

FEAR was fun

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling