Doom 3

Doom 3

Attached: rbdoom-3-bfg-page4.png (900x422, 606K)

was a decent graphics benchmark 15 years ago

God this game was shit. Was there ever made a good official game on the Doom 3 engine? It feels like the whole engine was cursed, with Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4, Wolf09 and Brink being on it as well and all sucking big fat cocks.

Nope. Good engine but only suited to a few concepts where darkness is part of the gameplay. Doom 3 was alright in its first 60%

Terrible feeling guns, sadly.

>decent
Please name a better one at the year of release

Yeah, I did not mean to imply the tech itself was the problem. I think there was actually a rather good Fan-made Thief mod series on the tech (hence the "official" in the previous post).

I think saying it was "alright in it's first 60%" is way too generous way of putting it, but alright. I might be biased against the game, because I was genuinely excited for it once.

Riddick

i greatly enjoyed doom 3. it was a weird direction to go but it was a lot of fun.

chaingun was juicy

Oh yeah, I completely zoned that one out.
I never particularly liked it personally, but I can see why others did, so yeah. I guess that counts.

half life 2

Painkiller, Butcher Bay, Far Cry, Half-Life 2 were all around par when it came to pushing visuals and stuff like physics, whether they were better games or not is up to you. Doom 3 obviously had the best lighting but that came with the caveat of most levels being the size of a breadbox.

underrated game the first few levels are top notch in sound design mixing both realistic in otherworldly noises to keep you on edge

> never particularly liked it personally
Nigger, the fuck's wrong with you?

trash

Doom 3 has the best depiction of Hell compared to any other game

Yeah me too.
I think they just fucked up in calling it Doom 3. Would probably get a lot less shit if it was just a spinoff or something

>Nigger, the fuck's wrong with you?
Just wasn't a fan of it. The environments were dull, and the schizophrenic switching between game modes did not fit with me well. The melee was decent (and in an era where good first-person-melee was virtually unimaginable idea), but the stealth and gunplay were... meh.

I can appreciate what they were going for, but I just thought focusing one mechanic and doing well than somewhat awkwardly juggling three was a mistake.
It's worth noting I played the game very late - it missed me entirely on release, and by the time I played it, games like Adventures of Sir Kicksalot or Zeno Clash were out, so I guess I've been spoiled by that time.

I really have to disagree. The problem was not with the label. The problem was that the shooting was terrible and the level design was shit. I never was a fan of the Doom franchise, in fact Doom 3 was the first Doom I actually finished (we were a Heretic household, for... some reason). I played the game with absolutely no specific expectations and still hated it.

would you say it's the most realistic depiction of hell?

Are you being sarcastic? It was probably the most boring depiction of hell I've ever seen.

Nah fuck that they had a right to call it Doom, as the original had some spooky atmospheric moments too.

Doom 3 was great up until about the time you get back from the first trip to Hell. That's when you have the game's lame attempt at action & those
shitty bosses.

Was pretty fun. It sure as shit doesn't feel like Doom, what with being so linear, having "horror game" moments, and nixing all exploration. However, if taken as just a FPS, it's pretty damn fun. Fuck the flashlight mod pussies, and fuck BFG for enforcing that garbage! Nothing was more tense, and fun, then being in the dark and looking for demon then trying to shoot where you saw it. Or, trying to hunt them via their eye glow, or fireball illumination

>*hoof*
it's better than 2016.

Not really, no.

That said, I had replayed 2016 recently and I have to admit that I had no idea how I could have stuck with it for so long back at the release. It has a fun core - way better than Doom 3 - but man some of the design decisions are fucking BAFFLING. I guess I've been spoiled by the retro-FPS revival now.

more like doom pee
hahaha