How close is it to FF8?

How close is it to FF8?

8 is the last good FF game I played, believe it or not. 13 was pretty but boring and linear

Attached: FF_XV_cover_art.jpg (305x325, 54K)

It's closer to 13 then 8.

Fuck. But it has an overworld and towns...

Why wont they make a good game?

Most are gas stations. It has 3 towns, one that you have to leave the main map to visit.

That's disappointing. How are the sidequests and the exploration?

>How close is it to FF8?
Not at all. It's inferior to 8 in every single aspect possible.

>How are the sidequests
sidequests are "go here and kill a thing" or "go here and fetch a thing" or "go here and take a photo"

> and the exploration?
not bad but the problem is that it's hardly rewarding unless you stumble upon a Royal Tomb

Oh man. Here I was thinking I could get a PS4, FF15 and have nostalgic feels like playing FF8 as a teenager again.

What he said The best thing about the game is hanging out with your bros. You get little side quests by camping out in the wild. They're pretty short and not too many but it does make it feel like you are good friends.

>How close is it to FF8?
Not at all.
>8 is the last good FF game I played
FF8 is fucking rock-bottom tier shit game.

Play FF Type0 HD instead. It's great.

>Play FF Type0 HD instead. It's great.

What's so great about it? Looks like an upscaled PS2 game. Obviously I could just play older games but I'm looking for new titles worth playing.

>Here I was thinking I could get a PS4
...why? It's on PC as well. In a FAR superior shape to boot.

Now, 15 ain't the worst shit ever, and I actually had some fun with it for hours ... as long as I literally ignored the story quests. That being said, if you're looking to experience classic FF goodness, you better look elsewhere.

I'd suggest grabbing the FF9 and 10 instead.
9 is literally one of the best games in the whole series, and while 10 is divisive amongst the fans, it's a quite lovely and chill adventure.

>Play FF Type0 HD instead. It's great.
That's not half bad suggestion either. The game's full of fan-service for old-time fans, and replay value is great.

Attached: ff9 BG AI Gigapixel upscale.jpg (1199x797, 262K)

I hated X big time, never played IX somehow

>What's so great about it?
tl;dr: Just about everything, to be honest.

>Longer wall-of-text answer:
Type 0 is like a fancy, action-packed Final Fantasy themepark, mixing varios elements from the series' past games, in order to create its own fantastical, yet surprisingly dark world and story. You got mechs wielding Russo-Nazi empire invading blood-magic using countries, some time travel shenanigans, ancient evils, and some brutal AF war.
Gameplay-wise it combines real-time combat with random encounters on the field. You got 14 (FOUR TEEN) main characters to choose from and train, something for everyone.
Story progresses through set missions. You also got some Persona 3-5 style ""time"" limited socializing / side quest activities between big missions, that not only grant you neat bonuses, but also open up the world & cast a bit more.

My first, calm-paced playthrough took me a good 85 hours, yet I was left with sooo much unfinished and unsolved material, that starting a NG+ was a no brainer.
Now with clocking 115 hours, it has become clear that the game indeed IS designed to be replayed, both gameplay and plot-wise; tons of new content becomes available, and you keep your levels & stuff from first run(s).

The game as an experience will definitely be memorable and emotional, no matter the somewhat overwhelming beginning.

>Looks like an upscaled PS2 game
It is a remaster of a 2010 PSP game, so obviously it won't look as UHD ultra realistic as some recent home console / PC games, but that actually only added to the game's charm in my case.
The PC version is even at its worst "fine". Ran OK on my old 560ti couple years ago, though I disabled that fugly TAA instantly.

/end of blog post.

>never played IX somehow
wew lad... you know what to do then.

Attached: Type-0 full cast.jpg (1920x1080, 804K)

Not really close to 8 in any regard other than having it's music and you can download FF8 mods.

It's a pretty good game though, if you play it on PC or get the Royal Edition.

Attached: cat.png (265x190, 75K)

8 is dogshit but 15 is even worse somehow.

IX was a bad Final Fantasy. It had absolutely terrible equipment, skill, and ability systems that allowed no room for players to shape their characters in any way. The trance system going off outside of your control was even worse designed than VIII's limit spamming. The combat was slow and boring and the only interesting mechanic AT ALL was the dynamic between Steiner and Vivi, and it didn't really add anything to the game at all. It had a terribly boring setting that's only praised by "classic fans" because it didn't emphasize sci-fi, completely disregarding that Final Fantasy has used sci-fi elements from the start of the series. Your cast consisted of characters like Freya who were completely forgotten by the plot after their usefulness to the story was up, characters like Quina who basically just showed up whenever the game felt you needed a 4th party member and didn't do ANYTHING of any relevance, and characters like Amarant who I'm still trying to figure out why he was added to the game. The protagonist and antagonist being "space alien grim reaper brothers" is by far the worst plot twist in the series, much worse than either the orphanage in VIII or "You're a dream Teedus" could ever hope to be.

The worst part of all? In a series that's known for its innovation in its genre, Final Fantasy IX bitched out and actively BACKTRACKED to boring, outdated, mechanics. At least the early games it was a callback to were innovations of their time like the ATB system in IV, and at least for the PSX titles VII, VIII, and Tactics all tried to do new things with turn-based RPGs, storytelling, and world building even if it didn't please everyone- whereas IX actively decided to say fuck that, and appeal to idiots who want video games to stagnate.

>Obviously I could just play older games but I'm looking for new titles worth playing.
"new" has practically become the synonym for "dumbed down shit". 2017 was a huge exception to this rule, bringing us some new modern mega-classics, like the Nier:Automata, Zelda:BotW, Persona 5 ... etc.
FF hasn't been truly great since PS1 days, but the FF13's two sequels were pretty good tho'.

I disagree with everything you just said.
My answer to each item of yours is practically the opposite. Dear god, an established series goes back to its roots, after two huge departure titles, one which was controversial as hell?

FF9 is simply an encapsulation of all things great about Final Fantasy, before it became a meme about emo boys in belts & zippers. Absolutely gorgeous, top chill game. Perfect for winding down after long work week.

Attached: ff9 - comfy the game.jpg (1982x1288, 1.33M)

Lol fuck off retard.

Also IX has the better OST desu.

No it doesn't are you fucking deaf on top of being retarded?

Apply to yourself and cope.

Attached: 1510963411249.png (246x242, 76K)

Kys furry faggot.

you're talking to two different anons now, m8.
and yes, IX's OST is magnificent.

Attached: Lindblum render.png (2048x1536, 2.58M)

Oh my god the deaf retards are multiplying.

>liking girls makes you a faggot!
I bet you think that # is a secret white supremecist symbol too, no ?

Attached: 1511871507673.jpg (1024x761, 149K)

So trance going off automatically was a good thing to you? The absolute state of IXfags.

>So trance going off automatically was a good thing to you?
Did such minute detail truly ruin your experience or something? I fail to see what that has to do with the atmosphere, visuals, OST, the skill / equipment system, story ... etc.

Attached: 1488303679040.png (1920x1080, 2.64M)

>it was good if you ignored the bad things
Also nice backpedaling on your previous statement.

>sucking magic for hours
>good game
pick one

the plot/story/setting were pretty decent, but the actual gameplay was aggressively mediocre.

The party members have about as much development
i.e. none

>Final piece of hot garbage 15
>a pretty good game

Has a worse heroine than Rinoa. So no.

7>8>6>9>4>10>5>3>15>12>2>1>13. Deep in your hearts you know this is right. Obviously online FF games don't count.

Take this as a reverse endorsement. I absolutely fucking despise FFVIII. It's the worst game I've ever played that's actually functional and longer than four hours. FFXV was the first non-MMO mainline game I refused to buy, because it reminded me so much of FFVIII and FFXII. It definitely has the nonsensical world going on, where monsters walk next to farm fences and the world's culture hasn't at all been shaped from this and it's just like our world with our own major architecture placed within the game world. It's blatantly inyour face that the jutaposition is intentional (This time, because Nomura explicitly likes the contrast together.).

So based on that you might like it, but this is of course from an outsider's perspective, so beware.

Post the Iris headpat webm, please.

I understand your criticism but there's some charming simplicity to that type of world (as seen in 8). It doesn't need to be realistic, in fact it should rather not be, as it's exactly what I want from a FF game, a break from the realistic RPGs.

>(This time, because Nomura explicitly likes the contrast together.).

except anything in XV was Tabata's fault.

>it was good if you ignored the bad things
Nice fallacy spooning there, kiddo.

Most yes, but Nomura likes the contrast and that's why it's there. He thinks realism and fantasy are boring, so he wants the undiluted combination. He has said so.

I'm pretty sure Cucktaba was the one who went with "A fantasy based on reality".

Don't listen to the user that recommended Type-0. The game is terrible