Starbound

What went wrong?

Attached: 1558797845295.jpg (480x360, 29K)

Brainless devs.

the world is empty compared with sea of 2D crafting survival games

Mostly … reduced mobility. Gameplay is "some of the most important" in aspects of gaming, intensity, and (thus) replayability / fun. "RPGs are reliant on multiple or great builds"; etc. Mobility is a lot of that, keeps up pacing, promotes diverse experiences … especially amongst properly countering mobs.

>Starbound
>Terraria

Attached: terraria_mobility.webm (638x360, 2.79M)

It was a scam. They don't care about finishing it.

>Tumblrina devs
>"""LORE"""
>Early access open world with crafting

Too much focus on lore
Not enought focus on the comfiness and scenery, which is Starbounds main strenght

Everything except Building. Starbound's building is probably the only aspect that it does better than Terraria due to more block variety and a bigger range of furniture/decoratives.

Honestly could be fun if someone made a Stardew Valley-esque mod for it. 2d comfy space farming

What lore? I remember their being lore but there isn't any lore now.

Attached: 1558874691228.jpg (1516x1422, 494K)

and better spritework aswell
starbound artstyle/direction is way better than terraria and it show with an excellent spritework all around

terraria's just inconsistent

I never really noticed the sprite inconsistency in Terraria but I do prefer Starbound's sprite work over Terraria's. Especially the character sprites since it does allow for better looking armor and vanity compared to Terraria with it's old FF-esque sprite characters.

It's mostly noticeable on newer vs older item, the separation is very clear between 1.1 and 1.2 era and it keep building up (as normal, because the re logic dev improves and have more ambition, so the newer item are definitely better than the old when it come to sprite)

Forced story mode with a shitty generic lore ruined it for me

Looking over some sprites through the wiki, I can see the inconsistencies now though mainly with the weapons, armors and tools

>Chucklefish
I just want them to release Witchbrook. I have the tiniest bit of hope and I know they'll crush it. Still, I want that shit.

They forgot to make the planets worth something.
Instead of having a galaxy to explore, you move up through the ranks of planets, leaving older ones behind with nothing left to do on them.

Different planet templates should have been generated like terraria worlds, where there are objectives and biomes and things to actually do.

So what is Witchbrook suppose to be again?

Just boring overall.
Not even fracking universe saves it. It actually makes it worse by overwhelming the inventory with thousands of shitty mats you have to sort manually into dozen of containers and constantly have to micromanage to build stuff. Absolutely horrible experience and a slog to "play". Mining lasers are also overpowered as fuck and you can completely vacuum a biome in under an hour.

I don't understand why nobody tried to make the inventory system more manageable by wiring containers to craft stations so that the mats get sourced from them. I guess the mod system is not flexible enough for such shit. Things like that would make the game actually playable and provide the groundwork for expansive extensions and biomes so we have shit to explore and collect.

Also, random loot and no boss monsters was a horrible soiboi mistake.

I really enjoyed building in the game honestly, I just wish there was more to it. Different planets inspire different build themes and they have enough materials to allow you to make them.
Wasn't Terraria kind of shit too before they did the big "hardmode" update? That's what Starbound needed

Boring version of Terraria where building a base on a planet is pointless.

One user promoted it as "Stardew Valley with Witches" or as an actual LWA game.
I just want a comfy game that is about witches, that's the only thing I expect from it.

So replacing the farming with alchemy, magic and etc?

it wasn't terraria

God the terraria combat and mobility sucks. Just a spammy shitty flier once you get to wings.
Even before that it's pretty meh.

Needed more Florans. And gameplay that isn't complete wank.

Attached: 1102739 - Floran Starbound.jpg (646x687, 36K)

This is the limit of 2d movement.
I just wish building was more essential and less of "build a long platform at x height to never take damage"
The other problem is that its really hard to make a real time boss interesting when your options are so limited.
Dodge or die is incredibly boring and tedious when every single enemy encounter plays out this way.
Bosses should've been less of a "can you survive?" and more of a "can you figure out how to kill me?" The problem is that they are already bullet sponges with horrible powercreep in damage and hp as the game progresses, with only two enemies that actually require you to aim at all: the cultist (lunar or lunatic?) and the moonlord.
The brain of cthulu in expert mode was poorly thought out compared to the cultist fight and the crimson in general feels like an afterthought compared to the corruption.
But yeah bosses need more gimmicks to kill them instead of gimmicks to survive them.
Encourage class switching to value things beyond raw dps.
Encourage aim and carefully timed strikes instead of spray and fly away.
Encourage more extensive arena preparation and building in general. Perhaps more enemies actually using terrains to their advantage like worms do could work.
Expert mode shouldn't exist. Expert mode boss moves should've been the default, but some were so bad they put it in its own difficulty mode to beta test it.

I'm actually enjoying it more than Terraria after giving it another try, it's a legit good game once you get into it.
Only complaint is that gitch spaceship looks retarded as fuck. I mean, look at this shit, it's literally bricks. SPACESHIP made of fucking BRICKS.

Attached: Glitch_Ship_Upgrade_8.png (800x368, 234K)

Hey it works for 40k and their giant flying space cathedrals

God, i wish i didn't select "build your own ship" in fracking/byos. I have no clue how to get the custom race tiles for ships and am stuck with the default ones. Even worse is that i have no materials to expand the ship size significantly while the default ship just got bigger the more crew i got + some simple modules. I guess i'm not one for building things.

The only thing Starbound did that few other games had are musical instruments and the ability to use standard sheet-music files in-game. I know other games lets you keyboardmash and play something but I can't think of another that lets you use imported files instead.

If I was a robot I would build my ship out of bricks too, it's probably cheaper and more durable than whatever tinfoil shit organics use to keep a breathable atmosphere.

Try this lifehax:
Make a new human character, skip into
type /admin
type /spawnitem ShipT6 (or whatever tier you want), use it
go into your save folders, each character has its own .shipworld file (.shipworld is the file extension)
Rename the .shipworld of your new human ship to the name of the .shipworld of your main character
????
Your main character now has the ship of a human!

This works with any race combo, but if you upgrade your ship it goes back to the original shitty theme park ship of your race. For this reason, on any new character I just instantly spawn in all the upgrades and then change my ship to the one I want, which is usually human T4; not too big, not too small.

A nice thing about this is because the assets all exist in the base game, your new ship transfers perfectly into multiplayer.

This is what happens when artists and idea guys run amok, with no grounded and well thought out design you get shit like this.

It looks great. It has some cool ideas. But it's not a good game.

>have good ideas
>they all get removed in favour of shit
There's more to it that that

final fantasy xiv bard

Procedurally generated bullshit.

The beginning lore was actually nice. However they ruined it with the atrocious story that retconned what they made in the first place with the stupid fucking space ranger shit.

A lot of things but most can be fixed with mods
Really comfy game once this is done

What's with sci-fi Terraria ckines ending up being shit? First this than Edge of Space. Is it sone kins of curse or something? My favorite genre can never get a good 2d Terraria game.

Attached: 1558110385901.png (464x498, 271K)

Post Molly screencap. The sole preprietor to qhy Starbound turned to shit since Beta.

SoC and other bursting movement makes it pretty high APM potential. Pillars are really entertaining …

Bosses *are* very pattern-based though. Mechanicals are fun, even with OP-esque items / builds.

Attached: Prefacing Objectivity - An Explanation on the Popularity of Shooters.png (328x415, 68K)

Sometimes I forget how many dozens of things I've modded in this game. Starbound did two things right: good procedural generation, and 10/10 aesthetics. The superb soundtrack helps with that a lot

People complain about the combat and the story and all of those things but really the game is about journeying around, seeing planets, seeing cool new dungeons, building (I hate building but SB makes it fun), and is also really enjoyable with friends. Like the absolutely massive number of sprites, objects, themes, all sorts of shit to find in this game makes it feel like a genuine exploration and discovery experience in a way that I don't think other games manage to replicate.

I've always loved this game and mods make it even better. I've got more than 300 hours in it, about half of which are post-early access, and I'm probably going to put some more in when they release this new update soon. It's probably the most fun I've gotten for a $15 game.

One of the things I loved was temperature when I played early on, but then they just removed it.

What other mods exists besides Fracken for this game?

idk never searched beyond frackin universe as it fixes my issues with the game and expand its content enough for me, can't help you user sorry