Is originality a dead concet?

Is originality a dead concet?

Attached: Shattered_05-30-19.jpg (600x337, 43K)

eh, clean it janny

What's this? While it's not original in concept visually it's kinda interesting.

Dark Souls invented health bars

>the guilty one
Why are developers so fucking lazy?

Because making good shit takes hard work, literally just look at the majority of the gaming industry. Most of this shit has been done, done better or blatantly copied

Attached: 1558480188495.gif (483x556, 3.77M)

I'm sure Yea Forums could come up with a better name than that though. It's really sad how creatively bankrupt this industry has become over the years

It's gonna suck

Attached: puzzlebabbysouls.png (632x156, 23K)

Not as bad as Salt & Sanctuary's "The Dried King"

It's like they ran a bunch of Dark Souls words through a randomizer and picked out the very first results.

what about the weeping sinner?

it has been for about a century

Even if that was word for word the process that they went through it's still more effort than "The Guilty One".

You guys know nothing.

Attached: 9a38e1081027050bdd1c3ee11e43408887273f34c9904c01b1204cec13b3a93a_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.j (639x361, 17K)

salt and sanctuary is a pretty bad game apart from its attempt on ripping off souls combat and adapting it to 2d scroller.wish it had a soul and some originality the game also had garbage aesthetics

>Child Of Limbo
>Hezek The Baptized
>The Executioner
>Martyr The Shredded
>Jezebel The Erratic
>Adonias The King's Envoy
>The First One
>The Anomaly
>The Virgin
>The Mysterious Entity
>Nekosh Keeper Of Books
>Elemiah The Crow Lady
>Sariandel Prisoner Of Void
>The Ritualist
>Chimera The King's Steed
>Asriel Paladin Supreme
>Elinor & Aureus
>The Queen Lonely Widow
>The Guardian

Attached: mfv.jpg (599x600, 83K)

It has the freaky unicorns, though.

Looks like on par with any From game after DeS, what's the problem here? Is it really only ok when they do it?

To be fair, OP's image is more a gameplay concept thumbnail. The Durrr'd King actually made it into the final version of a video game.

Agreed. It's a shame when the ubiquity of something being "good" allows rip-offs to ride the wave - it's a shame because people should be able to tell the difference in quality, but they can't. They never do. They just lap it up.

>Play Dark Souls clone
>expect it not to evoke Dark Souls
Congratulations, you played yourself.

>The Virgin
Is The Chad dlc?

>The Virgin
>woman tied to a wall while giant fleshy limbs attack you
I think the fight itself might be more creatively bankrupt than the name.

It's been said for a long time that art and media is always either plagiarism or revolution
Every thing we do at this point in our lives is derivative of something or many things, just to varying degrees

The fact that you mentioned Dark Souls while OP didn't kinda proves his point

That's actually a fallacy. Everything can be brought back to a higher order or a precedent of a containing group.
For instance: painting ANYTHING is not "original" because others have painted before. Painting something "random" is not original because someone surely painted something "random" before. However it's obvious that painting something random has a high chance of being "original". Even a single speck of put in a relative way to the rest can easily be original. That's why artists do retarded things like painting with shit or cutting the canvas. Because originality is not an absolute concept, it's relative to what the people around you have seen and remember.

"Nothing is original" is just the way creatively bankrupt people justify themselves. At any given time you can create something fresh and unusual, which will be perceived as original, simply because the people experience it before they experience the sources or similar works you might have been inspired by/copied.
Stuff like Dark Souls clones are pathetic and unoriginal because Dark Souls is such a recent and well-known game.

>it's a shame because people should be able to tell the difference in quality, but they can't. They never do. They just lap it up.

Wrong. The people who appreciated the original always know the difference. Clones almost never obtain the same success as the original either. Rather, the bad clones manage to catch a low caliber of audience by repackaging the original into something simpler or giving it a different flair. It's just the bottom feeder effect.

The entire RPG genre copied off one game. And so does Rougelike. And platformers.

But there's something about Dark Souls copies like pic related that seems a bit... on the nose.

Because dark souls isn't a genre. DS clones tend to take tom much inspiration, so the end up like that.
The Surge did it right. It is 100% inspired by souls, but it does it's own thing. And unlike every other 3D souls clone is actually good.

demon's souls was so innovative that it could have made a new genre
it's just unfortunate that most of the games in that genre completely miss the point and are pure shit

But The Surge sucks.

originality is not a concept at all, even though it might well be dead.

can we once and for all say that dark souls 1/3 were great but had a terrible influence on games, just like how god of war was great but then QTE's were put in everything and ruined it's appeal immediatly

Attached: notshit.jpg (300x300, 32K)

>had a terrible influence on games
Prove that those games would have been any better without ripping from dark souls
If the devs are incompetent then the game will be shit regardless of who they copy.

Is this Code Vein? Isn't there a beta going on? Why are there zero (0) threads about it?

>its just another souls clone
>combat has no weight and feels floaty and the game is filled with tutorial prompts
Face it. Souls is too advanced for any devs to successfully clone, all that try fail miserably and Code Vein is the next flop in the queue.

No it's not Code Vein you absolute drooling retard.

I just read the filename

The filename doesn't say Code Vein either

>one team makes something exceptional
>people keep copying until something new with higher appeal comes up
That's how it has been for as long as humanity has existed, retard.

Attached: 1497821340737.jpg (800x940, 301K)

This happens in every art. Hemingway is great, but he inspired a bunch of shitty writers. Same with Joyce or Pynchon. Matrix was great but then a lot of films used the bullet time effect in the most awkward ways possible. This happens when people just copy shallow elements and don't understand that this elements must be integrated in a way that makes sense and calls for it. They just want the cool stuff, it's all skin, no bones, no meat.

another Dark Souls? Yea Forums will love this they only like this and Smash

The Sins of Freck

Attached: [THE LOVERS] Burnt Ivory King & Alsanna.jpg (900x1543, 404K)

At the very least it looks more interesting than Surge or Ashen.
But again, those two are the bottom tier trash.

Except QTEs are good business tactic for games and dark souls style combat isn't

Well, they wouldn't exist, and I'd consider that a plus.

>DeS/DaS
>original

yeah, they invented everything, just like nintendo

lel, you fucking autists are something else really

What's this game even? Looks like Salt & Sanctuary: Not Ugly as Sin Edition.

They harm no one by existing, you can easily ignore them.

when is
>The Chad
being released?

If you didn't exist I would consider that a plus.

That's doesn't mean I can't wish them dead user.

That joke was already made, you're not funny.

Attached: no no no.png (834x524, 259K)

What an awful boss name

I think you are the first person I've ever heard praise the surge

Why's that? It wasn't that bad, was it?

it was lold

Ashen

Not even the very title shows an ounce of creativity. Wew.

Funny this is I was wrong. This game just looks exactly like Ashen. OP's game is Shattered Tale of the Forgotten King. Proves the original point

I like how this game was a poster child for Epic early on, but it was really fucking half assed.

idk I never even heard of it until one user posted a bait about it in a dark souls thread and everyone shit on him like last year I think.

I still haven't even seen gameplay.

Wew

Obvious HUD copy-paste job aside I feel like even aesthetics-wise Dark Souls is getting copied way too hard nowadays

Sounds like Dark Souls alright

I can't put my finger on it, but even shit like "battle against a tragic abomination" or "wordless duel against inhuman-seeming stranger" is in so many games and it all feels incredibly derivative of Dark Souls. I think Hollow Knight was one of the worst offenders in copying that style and tone

Not that bad, actually. Maybe preface it with his actual name

ah fuck its ANOTHER soul clone, not code vein
whoops