Why is the church so often portrait as evil in video games?

Why is the church so often portrait as evil in video games?

Attached: eeeec16bb321dc8cb8fd64b37de23f5f.jpg (1920x1200, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A0KUWzfugg4
youtube.com/watch?v=DadAepW4LD8
youtube.com/watch?v=gOaNr6jUuqQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For realism.

Because most games base their church off the Catholic church which was (and still is to an extent) corrupt as hell. It's not hard to take that a step further and just make them evil as well

jews are upset that christians replaced them as god's chosen people

why do you post this so often

Because they have power.

Because churches are the enemy of the people and regularly brainwash people in real life. It’s just so easy to translate into vidya.

it's mostly JRPGs because japs don't give a shit about christianity

Then why is not every single government in in video games corrupt?

>tfw this artstyle got modernized

Uhhh they usually are

ahem
fuck illias and fuck (sex) the monster lord

This

This is the only actual answer
Don’t bother with the rest of the thread

Because they can't portray feminism as evil yet. Just give it time after many 40+ single women offing themselves intensifies.

Because like most forms of faith, it's about listening and believing and not questioning things.

Seething Jewish producers and soulless Jap bugmen

Cause christian cucks always turn the other cheek. Try to portray imaginary religion that looks like islam as evil and even christcucks will demand removing it.

religion is always retarded. always.
anything that forbids you from eating something is retarded.
only good things to come from religion are satanism and Shiva

This. It's similar to why comedians tend to "punch up," instead of down when it comes to their material.

Probably because the Catholic Church is evil.

What an utterly brainlet opinion.

Imagine actually, literally, unironically being religious. How god damn fucked up in the head to do you have to be to believe that shit? I can’t believe we still allow parents to raise children thinking a magic angry sky man exists.

Japs are still butthurt after 400 years

That, and it's a difference in paradigm. When the average Japanese thinks of a "god", they point to mythology that shows deities that can be cajoled, reasoned with, outwitted, and occasionally even fought successfully by humans. And since JRPGs thrive on escalation of threats, gods (or God) just happen to be at the top of the ladder.

To subvert expectations.

Because Japan didn't have its own church and western religions were prosecuted when they were brought over there, and then many years later all the japanese that made fantasy rpgs just ripped off western cliches so you get the standard push back against oppressive organized religion but with none of the actual background knowledge to keep it from being the same stupid shit every time.

You have:
distinct theme,
people worshippers that you can interact with so you can elaborate on villain identity,
hordes of mooks to blaze through midgame,
enough named important entities for midbosses,
lategame reveal potential with all the eldritch designs for higher angels
stakes appropriate for ultimate boss
tentatively reason to be blamed for all the evil shit that happened while they're supposed to care
Nihonjins (cliche JRPG are what OP is alluding to most likely) are polytheists and idea of "one and only god" is simultaneously dickish, while they do not consider it taboo culturally to explore repercussions
and so on, depending on angle you want to pull

Attached: YHVH_SMTIV_Final.jpg (732x438, 81K)

The church is evil in real life too. It only stopped being a fascist authorian tyranny like 150 years ago.

Japs hate God and Christianity
Jews want weak Christians and a weak Catholic church

catholic church sees a small child

>YEAH RAPE EM

Because Abrahamic religion was the culprit for the most recent destruction of Japan

Attached: Rose_AI.png (235x353, 96K)

FPFP

Because religion is fucking stupid in how it doesn't change with the times.
Do you really think that the behavior of people in the modern era with things like the internet and cellphones should be dictated by some 2000 year dead sandnigger prophet?
No that's retarded and leads to the kind of insanity you see orthodox jews doing to avoid breaking rules

Why do church fags get upset when a fake made up church that isn't their own gets portrayed as evil

Being religious by definition means believing in shit without any proof or evidence. It only makes sense that this extends to them believing in boogeymen that want to take them down.

Because just like in real life, all major religions are worshiping some ancient evil and trying to destroy the world

I'm gonna fuck it

Attached: 1559253785478.png (1447x2046, 2.2M)

Cause of different valve and view

Attached: Alien Shinto.png (1260x879, 303K)

Anyone else find the thought of pumping a higher angelic being full of human cum EXTREMELY arousing?

Because God is found in the heart, not institutions that have strayed so far from thier original goal.

nothing further

But uru is a good girl

Attached: Karura3.jpg (900x657, 179K)

How does that thing stay attached to her forehead?

Bro, she is like 3-4 meters tall.

Attached: 1533996676041.png (800x574, 949K)

depends if it's rape d e s u
if so yah

Satanism is actually pretty cool
It's basically libertarianism
Teaches you to not be a literal cuckold like christfags

by nip standards they hate foreign organized religions because they waltz right in demanding free land and money, literally niggers

Attached: based Oda.jpg (170x206, 8K)

>Imagine actually, literally, unironically believing in rights. How god damn fucked up in the head to do you have to be to believe that shit? I can’t believe we still allow parents to raise children thinking a magic paper document exists.

The only conclusion of this line of thought is nihilism.

Most people are stupid. Most people are religious. Most criminals are religious connect the dots.
>inb4 fedora memes
Kys

Art imitates life.

Attached: insert_intellectuals.jpg (678x381, 79K)

more like
>any institution sees a small child
You don't want to look up the stats on CPS (chicago public schools or child protective services)

>replacing words withing a sentence changes its meaning
Whoa, great argument, kid fucker.

>tfw like paladins
>don't find the aspect of being lawful good too enticing
Granted there's few games and rules that actually make them lawful good

>Believing in an invisible sky wizard is the same as believing people should have human rights
This is your brain on religion
Goddamn, it's hard to express how retarded this is, especially considering the church couldn't care less about human rights when it suits them

Imagine

Attached: 1527730126839.gif (367x265, 558K)

>but what about
Makes those priests not fuck kids, I guess

It's a trope to subvert expectations. But it's been used so much that it doesn't do that anymore.

Fallen Paladin my dude

Attached: fallen-paladin-3.jpg (800x500, 58K)

Go get your slaves, the Bible explains how to do it 'properly'. Nice morale system

It's more like they enjoy Christianity from a mythological viewpoint, in the same way Westerners have a hard on for the ancient Greek gods. And since they see it as mythology they have no qualms portraying it in a negative light.

Comparing a god to the concept of human rights in your context makes no sense. Religious people believe god is living being that can exist tangibly and assert his will on the world. No one argues that human rights and laws are anything more than concepts we use to keep the peace.

That's the best part.

You mixed the two up buddy

Depends on how they act when they fall
but typically they just go evil for some reason rather than continuing the pursuit of good their own way

I wanna suck a giant tiddy

Attached: boneher.jpg (1000x984, 237K)

Missing the point. All normative claims are metaphysical. So even something as basic as rights doesn't hold up if you require everything to be materially grounded.

why should we keep the peace?

Religion is just philosophy of law, -morals and -life for children and simpletons. The institutions being corrupt is another matter.

Iunno man shit if you wanna purge we can purge

Because Church DOES NOT approve of pic related

That's usually because it takes an obscenely heinous act in order to fall and by that point that paladin is evil
If you had a DM that made you fall for doing something like, sneaking, that would be fucking retarded.

Finding it curious that one instance of sex abuse gets a disproportionate amount of coverage and making excuses for pederast priests are two very different things.

Then you are correct. Human “rights” don’t exist any more than a god does.

Christian mythology is fucking awesome in fiction
Rape
Sex
Torture
Blood sacrifices
Paladins
Honor
Faith
Arch Angels
Demons
it's just so goddamn metal i wanna see more of it

religion is powerful, has authority, and is generally a good and integral part of people's lives.
it's scary as fuck when something that powerful and absolute is actually something bad.

Whenever you hear an evil villain's theme on the church organ, the game devs are giving this character hierarchical power, but that it has been perverted and poisoned for evool. that's why

Attached: Jeanne Mammen - Chess Player.jpg (1400x1218, 362K)

How does it subvert expectations if it happens 90% of the time?

You probably agree to do so because you'd prefer not to get your ass beat, get murdered, or bring harm to things you value.

I'd rather accept religion and keep faith that something exists rather than continue to live in this hell surrounded by godless demons with no hope.

Attached: satanic-drag-queen-long-beach-library-full-600.png (600x600, 666K)

But user, if that's your definition of evil then church indeed is evil.

Attached: 13040673698.png (768x488, 495K)

Read your Bible and start having slaves again, you retard. Your holy scripture is worthless.

A false shepherd placed by demonic Askhenazi's is leading the faith astray.

REPORT ALL INTENTIONAL TROLLS

What the fuck is up with the spamming on /tg/ tonight

Attached: Report Rulebreakers.jpg (125x117, 2K)

This is Yea Forums you imbecile.

Its been along day...
Eh, still stands. REPORT THE SPAMMING CUNTS

Dumb thumbnail poster

Fuck off

Attached: Beaver on Morality.png (2218x1814, 1.58M)

the Portuguese literally made deals for their land. Protestant british traded with nobunaga during his reign, and many clans willingly converted until hideyoshis autistic purge.

Fuck off with your revised history bullshit.

Watch Silence for a quick rundown of why that's the case in Japanese games.

youtube.com/watch?v=A0KUWzfugg4

fpbp

This. Fuck Hideyoshi and FUCK THE TOKUGAWA. Oh and also fuck niggers of course

Ignoring all ties to actual real world things: suppose a game has a giant shadowy organization with immense political power, and it used promises of rewards after death (which may or may not be delivered upon) to entice its followers into proving financial support and defeating its enemies. Would you find it believable for every single person in the organization to be a completely unblemished paragon of virtue?

Xenogears portrayed our reality, and with that, Christianity, the closest.

youtube.com/watch?v=DadAepW4LD8
youtube.com/watch?v=gOaNr6jUuqQ

wasnt even talking about christcucks

>men are the sole thinking beings in the universe, therefore what we conceive of in our heads exists

image is flawed from the start

This thread is like being an angry 15yo again.

Because its/they are cute.
-Japan

Why are japs so obsessed with the west in general anyway? Did those two atom bombs scramble their brains that bad they can't stop seeing and obsessing over Western Europe? It's mostly always western Europe you'll never see eastern Europe like Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Croatia, and the Byzantines.

Attached: 1558135723171.jpg (1024x759, 195K)

>you'll never see eastern Europe like Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Croatia
ARR ROOK SAME
Seriously though, for the average person, especially from outside Europe, they probably just get jumbled up into the stereotypical France/HRE knights in armor mush

AHH I WANNA FUCK AN ANGEL

More modern iterations of D&D do Paladins best. A Paladin is a divine warrior of whichever god he chooses, and there are gods of all alignments. The Oaths available to you can fit well enough to any particular god. If they go off the rails and don't go through some repentance, they are either forcibly changed to a non-Paladin class, or are marked as an Oathbreaker (which itself is really good for some Evil alignment gods).

All about Sune. Chaotic Good, be excellent to each other and do everything stylishly and beautifully. No need to be a hardass goody two shoes superhero. Plus she's hot.

Attached: DnD Sune.jpg (400x596, 66K)

In a weird way, you illustrated my point.
In a matter of a few posts you recapitulated the origin of government and rights given in Leviathan, a foundational text for liberal thought.
When someone is so mired in a way of thinking that they end up unintentionally reciting its texts, we usually call that person a zealot. Don't think that atheism is freedom from belief, it's just belief in liberal ideology.

Atheists aren't nihilists, they're just unconscious liberals.

its because eastern europe didn't try to colonize in or around japan, they would notice you more if you had boats instead of clay

You've just described every society ever. No society has ever not worked this way.

Being a chaotic paladin just seems strange to me. When I think paladin the first word that comes to mind is LAW.

My favorite was a paladin of redemption who was neutral good and their god was Tamara

Because liberalism is inherrently anti-religion

That's not it at all it's they base everything off the same three fucking countries which is England, Germany and France Every. Time. Europe isn't just England France and Germany and I wish the dumb japs would look more into geography to see that.

This. Non-lawful paladins suck ass and aren't canon

Also I like your god, Sune. Really based.

Being a moral nihilist doesn't mean you have to oppose systems that believe in human rights, it just means you don't think those beliefs are founded on anything. I'm a moral nihilist but I'm still glad modern societies exist because they're good for my well being.

Your ways are over, old man.

Attached: mrm.jpg (210x240, 12K)

>its because eastern europe didn't try to colonize in or around japan
>what is the Russo-Japanese war
>what are the Kuril Islands
>what is Sakhalin
>what is Manchuria

Where are your slaves? The Bible never prohibits slavery. Go change laws and talk more about morals, your child fucker.

>Europe isn't just England France and Germany
You're right, there's also Italy, Spain and Moortugal

I can't believe one guy has had this much influence over d&d

>understanding the concept of surrogate religions makes you a catholic hardliner
lol

it's exactly that and your bitter that your people made clay instead of boats

imperial russia =/= commie russia

Again, this is a way of conceptualizing society that was birthed at almost exactly the same moment as liberal ideology and free markets.

It isn't a coincidence you think of society the way you do. It just means you believe in liberalism's foundational myths: the state of nature, individual selfishness leading to collective prosperity, everything is a market.

Not Him but:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War

Attached: BioShock_No_gods_or_kings.jpg (700x394, 75K)

>Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Croatia, and the Byzantines
>hurpdurp muh russians

>the state of nature, individual selfishness leading to collective prosperity, everything is a market
I don't necessarily believe any of these things. The only claim I'm making is that modern society is beneficial to my well being. That's all.

The bottom half of Sakhalin were taken by the Soviets you know. And the Soviets were planning to invade and take Hokkaido before the Japanese surrender preempted them.

I wish the church lets you kill for them. I'd revert us back to the dark ages if it meant being free. Dying for the church and your people is much more preferable than living for a global corporation.

>creates a dystopia

Because the Catholic church has historically been the definition of a sinister malevolent presence in society and has actively fucked western civilization over time and time again between war, pointless conquest, and idiotic backwards rules that condemned people to death and suffering for the dumbest fucking reasons. Not to even mention it's a fucked up warped version of what it was originally supposed to be. I've never seen a western game tackle the concept but the Japanese love to romanticize it, so good for them.

>wants to escape being a slave to corporations
>choose to enslave himself to the church instead

Attached: too altruistic for me.jpg (224x224, 10K)

Calm down rabbi.

Nice fucking fedora faggot, how's the early 2000's treating you?

The idea that a society's purpose is to promote general welfare, understood as nonviolence and a lack of suffering, without affirming any particular Truth or striving for any particular goal is precisely the liberal conception of the state. This way of thinking about the state was invented by liberal thinkers in the 18th century.

>imperial russia =/= commie russia
Not really, just because the Tsar changed doesn't mean their empire (or autocratic regime structure) ceased to exist

They don’t though, do you know how many comedians are millionaire douchebags who get paid ludicrous money just to tell jokes on stage? Not most of them, but they’re overpaid relative to their work anyway, they’re incredibly privileged

Why are some zealously religious characters so cool?

Attached: awshititsgraham.gif (500x281, 1.98M)

ok, so how does soviet russia help the japs acknowledge the Byzantines.

>The idea that a society's purpose is to promote general welfare, understood as nonviolence and a lack of suffering
Never made this claim. I don't think society is supposed to have any "purpose". I'm simply acknowledging it just so happens that it benefits me. I'd be fine with a religious state too for example if it benefited me.

Not jewish
Definitely not atheist. Stay mad though, Catholic scum. Keep praying to you ido- I mean "saints".

Third Rome, nigger

Oh man this big brained individual is so right on how evil christianity is. I like this free thinking individualism society way better.

Attached: 1556948992613m.jpg (719x1024, 149K)

le dark ages meme pushed by 18th century fedoralords

Religious institutions traditionally inspire trust, which makes them ripe for betrayal plot twists.

Also, the Anglo world is overwhelmingly Protestant historically, which means the cultural memory of the English speaking peoples is warped with a very dim and incorrect image of Latin Catholicism.

Honestly, early medieval eastern Europe would be a kino setting. Coastal clashes with Vikings, Migration period, Roman refugees... hell you can even chuck in some slavic mythology, as in folklore the mythological creatures left Earth because of the spread of Christianity

Attached: 800px-Oton_Ivekovic,_Dolazak_Hrvata_na_Jadran.jpg (800x541, 236K)

Not christianity nigger, the Catholic church.

Oh so your a filthy goatfucking mud. Not really an improvement.

>Why is the church so often portrait as evil in video games?
church do bad and crazy things in past

nice to know soviet russia was the byzantine empire this whole time, thanks user

Lot of Catholic church's bad reputation is actually based on English and French propaganda about Spain and Austria.
Spanish inquisition for example has bad reputation, but it actually had much more fair trials and put more weight on actual evidence than secular courts of the time.
That being said the modern meme conservatives also romanticize Catholic Europe way too much, it was in no ways politically united through faith and especially French and Dutch often allied with Muslims against their common Austrian and Spanish enemies.

Because it usually is in real life.

Roman Catholisism is Christianity.

Do you not know what protestantism is or something?

Actually it was Finland, ignore the Soviet LARPers

You're already playing the game if you think "I'm okay with it as long as it benefits me" isn't a statement of purpose. What do you mean by benefit? Why does it only matter if it benefits you? You're already buying into the premises of liberal thought.

What does that have to do with the claim that the Soviets didn't try to seize Japanese lands?

And the Japanese learn about European history filtered through American culture. Americans don't give a shit about Eastern Europe.

False religion that's responsible for weakening Europe and burned people to death over accusations with no evidence and has female pastors? Catholisism is the only form of Christianity you degenerate.

No Christian should be praying to Mary or any of the other "saints". Roman Catholics are heathens.

That's because the French are giganiggers and the eternal enemy of Europe
>innocent German duchies
YEAH BULLY 'EM
>innocent Italian city states
YEAH BULLY 'EM
>innocent protestants
YEAH KILLEM
>innocent Cathars
YEAH KILLEM
>innocent popes
YEAH STROGNARM 'EM
>innocent British/ Spanish/ Dutch/ Portuguese/ Italians/ Germans/ Russians/ literally anyone
YEAH KILLEM KILLEM KILLEM

Have fun literally burning in hell, idolator. There is far more blood on your church's warped walls than there is on mine.

Nobody prays to Saints though.

>What do you mean by benefit?
Makes it easier for me to live in a position of comfort and fulfil my desires.
>Why does it only matter if it benefits you?
The only thing that matters is me.

The how come modern liberals are near universally unfettered hedonists who completely disregard the suffering of those who don’t have power (vegetarianism is considered far right now because it means asians can’t eat dogs, smaller minority groups aren’t really appealed to, abortion is considered acceptable even when the baby is clearly developed enough to suffer)

Im going by the original post that goes on about why japs are obsessed with western europe instead of eastern europe, but lists these specific names: Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Croatia, and the Byzantines.

Catholic is the only true Christianity. Anything else is just a bastardisation of it made by someone for their own selfish reasons, like Protestants being created to spit in Gods face by allowing divorce.

Orthadox is ok

>vegetarianism is considered far right now because it means asians can’t eat dogs
????

Orthadox can be the only exception. Pr*testants are sinful degenerate false christians.

Hitler was a vegetarian, don't be like Hitler

Japs usually portray the church as good guys though.

These are exactly the answers I'd expect from an uncritical devotee of liberal thought.

For example, fulfillment of desires was understood to be a slavish life by ancient Greeks. They didn't really think that an individual could benefit qua individual. Why do you think Plato looks for the good in the city?

It's a mixed bag. You have churches as save points, but then God and angels as the main bad guys to defeat.

Is this what your brain looks like on /pol/?

One way of parsing that is that modern liberals are becoming post-liberal in thought and deed.
Another way to look at it is that vegetarianism represents an imposition of the capital T Truth (thou shall not eat meat), which liberalism has, from the beginning, prohibited.

"desires" is a pretty wide net, it doesn't have to refer to just base level hedonistic desires.

Catholicism and Orthodoxy
>same core message, but different lithurgy, culture and hierarchy, some friction but usually bros
Protestantism
>ME KING GEORGE THE LICE-RIDDEN WANT TO FUCK 20 WENCHES, AND METHINKS FUCKING WENCHES OK

The church not only has a rather black and white morality that can be twisted enough to justify ANYTHING but in a lot of branches it doesn't even really matter- a single confession and you're back into heaven.

Fuck in some followings morality doesn't matter at all, ONLY faith does. You could be the most evil, sinful cunt in existence but so long as you've accepted Jesus into your heart at any point in your life, that's all that matters...

The church is kinda fucked.

Attached: 1492962568848.png (1200x1200, 717K)

>"fuck you, got mine!" is liberal

Attached: 1445617281664.jpg (375x305, 29K)

What happens if you desire that someone else live the good life? Do you try to force it upon him?

Not just "Christianity" but religion in general because they want to remind themselves of what blind faith in corrupt leaders cause. They blame themselves for what happened to them in WWII.

If that was what I desired, yeah, but it's not.

Just curious, have you read any of the following:
On Liberty, Mill
Leviathan, Hobbes
Treatise on Government, Locke
By liberal, I don't mean "librull." I mean the above thinkers and their offspring.

Why don't you desire that?
For almost all of human history, this would have been considered a normal desire.

>Russo-Japanese war

Attached: 1420020427738.jpg (1807x1384, 416K)

Go ahead, post the part of 'On Liberty' where Mill says "fuck you, got mine" is a good way to live your life.

Plato's ideal republic was a fucking dystopia. Also the beliefs of ancient Greek philosophers were extremely varied. Being a hedonist was looked down upon, but fulfilling your basic needs and desires was generally seen as good.

>Fuck in some followings morality doesn't matter at all, ONLY faith does. You could be the most evil, sinful cunt in existence but so long as you've accepted Jesus into your heart at any point in your life, that's all that matters...
That makes sense since God has no morals himself

do you even play video games? 90% of them are

Only like 7 churches matter before the world gets destroyed. Depending on whether he believes in Revelations

I don't really care about the well being of people unless they're close to me. Additionally everyone derives happiness from different things, a "good life" for one might not be so for another, especially since in your example you said "force it upon him." If someone derived happiness from living a certain way when I did not, I would not want that person forcing his way of life on my to try and bring me happiness.

wow athiests really are this retarded

you want a quote? He's obviously not going to come out and say that.

He does say that you should only take a forceful interest in the well-being of someone else in extreme circumstances. These qualifying circumstances would become more extreme as liberal thought progressed.

Striner's line of thought always upsets me. Oaths and ties that bind being looked upon as slavery, no matter what they are, are a complete perversion of the bonds that hold together a complex society. Had everyone acted in their own selfish interest at all times, the world as we know it could not function.

This line of thought is why even the fundamental bonds such as marriage and family struggle to survive in the modern world, as we as a society are taught that our own whims and desires are paramount and come before any other entity or concept, as if we were less than the beasts of the wilds. In our struggle to elevate ourselves, we tear down everything near to us, and are in turn also dragged down by the weight of others doing the same. It is only when we work together for common goals with self-sacrifice do we truly move forward and improve.

Both because some churches irl are corrupt, and it's a very easy way to write a story
>This institution which is supposed to be good and help people is bad, WHAT?
Hundreds of games, and just stories in general use this format. Hospitals/mental institutions, police, the church, government, orphanages, ect

Because you constantly repeat this thread like you're some kind of bot made to shitpost.

Fuck off and die.

>fulfilling your basic needs and desires was generally seen as good.
probably. But can you find a Greek philosopher saying that *merely* doing so is a life fit for anyone but a slave. (don't cite Epicurus. He didn't think this).

>Mill explicitly states that "harms" may include acts of omission as well as acts of commission. Thus, failing to rescue a drowning child counts as a harmful act, as does failing to pay taxes, or failing to appear as a witness in court. All such harmful omissions may be regulated, according to Mill.

You're full of shit.

Yes

You're basically quoting Mill

>spooks
>fundamental

sorry, didn't mean to quote

Space catholics bad, lolipope church good

Attached: xenogears church.png (526x392, 277K)

The fact that my beliefs line up with liberal thinkers is more coincidental than anything else I think. My desires are pretty conventional, but if they weren't it wouldn't line up so well. For example If I enjoyed murder I wouldn't be making the same argument because a core component of my desires would be imposing my will upon others without their permission. My belief system of "my desires over everything" can line up with almost any other belief system. If I was a religious zealot, "my desires over everything" would mean a religious state.

alright nigga, you're making me grab it off the shelf. brb with a quote.
"But with regard to the merely contingent, or, as it may be called, constructive injury which a person causes to a society, by conduct which neither violates any specific duty to the public, nor occasions perceptible hurt to any assignable individual except himself; the inconvenience is one which society can afford to bear, for the sake of the greater good of human freedom."

>So what if I'm a fish and I swim in water? It's just a coincidence. Don't all living things swim in water?

He fucking said it

Murderers exist so I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this analogy.

I'm saying it's not a coincidence that you, as a subject of a liberal empire, have liberal desires and beliefs.

That quote simply says that people shouldn't be punished for doing things that don't harm others. In that very chapter Mill says that people ought to avoid harming others and contribute to society:

>every one who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit, and the fact of living in society renders it indispensable that each should be bound to observe a certain line of conduct towards the rest. This conduct consists first, in not injuring the interests of one another; or rather certain interests, which, either by express legal provision or by tacit understanding, ought to be considered as rights; and secondly, in each person's bearing his share (to be fixed on some equitable principle) of the labours and sacrifices incurred for defending the society or its members from injury and molestation.

The nips are very angry at catholics.

They can still be after they accept Jesus Christ.

The Jews fear the Samurai

Honestly the easiest way for me to win this argument would be go to out and shoot a bunch of people so just watch the news and prepare to lose retard.

Attached: 1535704449252.jpg (377x567, 15K)

I know you. Youre the guy who kept rambling about praying to idols and such in a thread some days ago.

>innocent british
No such thing.

When and where was your church founded and by who?

>believing in the illusion of the thinking self
I bet they believe in free will, too.

They "ought to," but why will they?
Mill wants the consequences of an illiberal society -- collective goods -- without the causes -- collective values.
Which is more important for Mill, a society where everyone shares, or a society where everyone is individually free? I think my quote answers that question. Mill centers individual liberty (which, for Mill, amounts to other people letting you be) at the expense of collective goods.

If you think this is an unfair criticism, I cite contemporary liberal society as evidence.

In any case, Mill is definitely one of the more progressive liberal thinkers. You won't find such sentimentality about collective goods and sharing in Locke. In fact, Locke tells the British that America is theirs to take because the natives aren't using it well enough.

Attached: narwhal.png (640x480, 449K)

And the media would call you a lunatic because your desires don't fit into the liberal consensus.
I'm not saying you can't choose to do anything other than what liberal ideology would have you do. I'm saying that liberal ideology has framed how you think about your actions.

For a less extreme example, look at the coverage of abortion legislation. Southerners are "crazy," "fascist," etc. because they're trying to legislate morality, an act which is anathema to liberal thought.

And yet, you won't.

>Southerners are "crazy," "fascist," etc. because they're trying to legislate morality, an act which is anathema to liberal thought.
We already have a bunch of laws that regulate morality, like capital punishment. Whether or not someone on death row ought to be killed is a moral judgement more than anything else.

Hold on a second I recognize those tits.

Attached: 2018-12-19-025149.png (960x544, 682K)

Because all organized religion has always worsened society and should be banned.

narwhals narwhals swimming in the ocean

>they're trying to legislate morality, an act which is anathema to liberal thought
Law is mostly based on morality, though. The concept itself of law is to establish some moral common grounds by which to judge the acts of a person. Lots of other stuff has gotten in with time, but in its core, it's about morality.

>Southerners are "crazy," "fascist," etc. because they're trying to legislate morality

No they aren't. They are legislating women to punish women for working and no longer agreeing to be sold in political marriages.

Causing a commotion 'cos they are so awesome.

It's the easiest way for your story to have themes about not always having to follow tradition to be successful, which hey guess what, the Japanese are all about.

And liberals love those laws, right?
NB: I'm also not saying that liberal ideology has perfect control. There have always been competing ideologies. Indeed, it seems like liberalism itself is already yielding to something else -- some kind of socially conservative, economically left, populist system. But surely for at least the last 100 years liberalism has been the dominant ideology.

I don't think you know what this conversation is about.

That's a fair point. But I would say that we've seen a gradual erosion of moral laws as liberalism has progressed and the reservoir of preliberal social capital has been depleted. Blue laws are a good example.

>Indeed, it seems like liberalism itself is already yielding to something else -- some kind of socially conservative, economically left, populist system

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Populists are full of shit when they promise the gammon better lives and economically left-wing policies. The populists and social conservatives will always suck one-percenter cock and will always favor neoliberal, Randian economics.

Gonna start Paradox.
Alice or Ilias?
I figured I'd do both until I saw some peoples saves being like 300+ hours.

factually wrong.

It'd be more appropriate to describe it as the erosion of *your* moral laws and the accretion of *their* moral laws.

/thread

I'd go ilias

why?
Seems to me like such a misalignment of interests of the electorate and the elected can't last forever.

You'll eventually do both since starting a NG+ is the only way to recruit certain characters you passed up in your first playthrough. Monstergirls you already recruited will stay in subsequent playthroughs so you don't have to do that again.

There are also a few route exclusive characters

Attached: 1555251440082.png (1275x479, 598K)

But aren't the laws that are left tolerated by liberals precisely because of their supposed ideological neutrality? E.g. "everyone can agree that no one should be allowed to murder."

Seems like liberal laws are either taken to be "common sense" or to be without moral content.

If you're new to the series or really like succubi, or Shiki(artist) then go Alice. If you've already played the OG Trilogy, go Ilias, since she gets a lot of character development. Having an angel fetish is another strong point for going Ilias, since she get's a few exclusive angels on her route.

Attached: 1557702800969.png (303x216, 98K)

Based

IMO this was the only good DLC from that game

Attached: 1553405076398.jpg (581x960, 76K)

Because it is not in human nature to be solely good, the church tries to sell this idea anyway and warps the mind of other people to make some pathetic excuses for themselves. The church is only a breeding ground for psychopaths.

the church does not sell that idea.
May come as a shock, but the church believes in something called "original sin."

Piss goddess if you played the original. You should play through it twice at least though. Don't forget that you have a choice on who you can recruit on the replay.

Ilias interests me since I heard that about her getting more development before too, but Alice always appeared to me as the "true" route considering the original trilogy and my few choices during it so i kind of miss my comfy fun adventure with Alice, but it was a while ago too. But I'm considering it now. Thanks.

Oh, I see, maybe those long saves are from NG+ then. But if this game is as big as it seems I don't even know if i'll have a NG+ in me after just to find a few more monstergirls.
How long would you say a first playthrough as and how much could you get out of a NG+?

Attached: little girl.png (526x571, 486K)

Alice kinda gets shafted development wise since she doesn't really have the whole coexistence thing going on.
Oh, I also recommend playing on Very Hard or Hell to start out. Hard and below are a cakewalk.

Attached: 1558487054793.png (639x715, 324K)

>filename
That's a little sister though.

> How long would you say a first playthrough as and how much could you get out of a NG+?
It's probably going to take you a few dozen hours at the minimum if you're aiming for even somewhat completionist shit.

Cheers for the headsup and help. Going for Ilias I think and gonna play around with the difficulty.
Unsure yet if I really want an RPG Maker game to be super hard or not yet since the combat can get old, but maybe Paradox will surprise me and make grinding seem fun.

Forgive me /jp/

Attached: Luka.jpg (900x900, 86K)

what does an angels fart smell like? just for laughs haha

Grinding is a pain in the fucking ass early on, I probably wouldn't try it until you get to the second continent. There's also passives you can equip that give you extra JP, might want to keep an eye out for those.
>Forgive me /jp/
I haven't been to /jp/ in a long time, don't worry about it.

Good luck, and make sure to recruit Imp.

Attached: 1557653097043.png (681x1127, 505K)

Tpbp

>aryan goddess angel is a genocide committing racist who wants to dominate you
hot

Attached: 1444259465564.gif (500x281, 865K)

Alice if you want shitty rehash of original
Ilias if you want superior route with tons of lore, character development and more interesting story

>but Alice always appeared to me as the "true" route
Nah, that's Ilias or the future third route.
It's beyond obvious when you compare them.

fpbp

As a christian, I agree.
The Vatican isn't that straight in its boots anymore.

It'll be the third route. Possibly the Sonya-less route.

Does Sonya join you after the white rabbit shoves her into your party at the end of part 2?

Note that difficulty doesn't affect xp. You could turn it down to very easy and bully the mimics for job xp later in the game.

You can also grind out a ridiculous amount of money by slapping the difficulty up to Paradox and sandbagging to The Reaper. Forget if it was a job passive or an item that was responsible though.

Because God only helps those who help themselves.

Because the Church has been and is pretty corrupt. In modern times, it can overtly be evil and has to do a lot of good too.

And that pic is completely unrelated, because while Church is often portrayed as evil, religion rarely is. Religion is treated as the "healing" system, prayers to God being treated as a thing that you benefit from. Even games with an evil Church like Final Fantasy Tactics, the Priests, the White Mages, they're still being aided by Divine powers of their God, forces of only good through healing. So an angel is unrelated to the evil Churches, for the most part.

Nip games, the superior games, are more likely to make this distinction between the Church and religion than western shit. That is because nipponese culture doesn't harbor nearly as much hatred for religion as the stupid west does. Even the atheists in Nipland often visit their shrines and monasteries, pray and make monetary offerings to them. It also helps that religious institutes don't nearly have as much power there, and are less corrupt, my guess would be due to the nature of Buddhism itself. So western fedora tippers are more likely to make religion itself an enemy.

Attached: 1544827304957.png (919x720, 504K)

Any large organization that claims to be non-profit is bound to be ridden with corruption.

>it's a fucked up warped version of what it was originally supposed to be
Agree here. Not so much on the rest.

Because people still believe Protestant propaganda from the 16th century.
The Church in general has a better track record than any other institution or country for that matter.
People know Muh Inquisition or Muh Crusades but have no clue about Christian Scholasticism or Christian moral Doctrine.

I don't know about that, desu. I remember two examples of evil churches from Square Enix most immediately, those being the Church of Yevon and the Crystal Orthodoxy.

The former is definitely more corrupt than the latter, but both have the issue of people in charge just making the organization shit. It's never treated like religion is a bad thing in either case, considering Aeons that are powered by people's faith are what ultimately help stop Sin in the former case and Agnes restructures the Orthodoxy to be less self-serving in the latter.

That said, you also have games where Lightning says stuff like "In the future we won't need God", so maybe it's a case by case basis.

>2000s
>Atheism is considered the sensible position and people laughed at overtly christian people
>ca 2012 and later
>Suddenly "everyone" is a christian crusader and atheism is mocked and shunned
What happened?

the fedora meme era when every fedora wearer became self aware that it was a bad thing to be associated with neckbearded fedora tippers
Atheism was part of the culture of it and was viewed equally as stupid and childish as a result

jews pushing their anti-Christ agenda

Fpbp

The portrayal of the church is a mixed bag in Japan but if you want an answer Protestant and Jewish influences. Most atheistic countries in the west were former protestants even when the people became irreligious hating the church is already ingrained in their culture.

Attached: Japanese Christian PMs.png (1067x381, 41K)

So basically fat ugly losers ruining yet another good thing

imagine being so fat you hate religiom because it says you can't eat something

Being religious and believing in god or a god isn't the same thing

or Japan is just being Japan and the church just makes an interesting setting for the story. I've seen countless hentai where monks rape Japanese shrine maidens and girls being fucked in sacred dojos. Does that mean Japs hate shinto? No.

Turns out that a lot of people are incapable of acting independently of the crowd and so latch on to religion and irreligion on command.

>Why is the church so often portrait as evil in video games?
If the game is japanese, thats because chirstianity haes a dual role, for one part haves a benevolent role (healers) but its the equivalent to witchcraft for their traditions since shimmabara rebellion in Tokugawa Shogunate. That´s why characters like Shiro Tokisada Amakusa, which was christian and a self proclaimed prophet

If the game is Euro/USA just because its edgy.

nobody cares about theology
Post big tiddy angels with lots o delicous divine milky

135 lbs
try again

>>men are the sole thinking beings in the universe, therefore what we conceive of in our heads exists
That's not what's stated.
Reread the last two lines.

fpbp forever

Strikes me more as some sorta reactionary behaviour due a combination of muh heritage/history and muh islam invasion, alongside people feeling disenfranchised and lacking an identity they constructed themselves. Same reason pagan religions (though most are just half assed patched together assumptions on how the actual faiths was practiced) seems to be growing too on the internet.

It's usually garbage but hey that's just your opinion

>christian mythology
Most of it just comes from judaism, the rest is dante's fanfiction

Attached: smug dean.jpg (1000x1000, 371K)

you put the cart before the horse when you say the power has been perverted or poisoned. It's just power, that's why the villain's theme references real world examples of power.

And hypocricy. So much hypocricy holy shit

Social media and pop culture unleashed American mainstream culture upon the world.

Educated people wondered how to deal with Islamic emigrants. And stupidly settled for 'Islam is a race' and 'criticizing religion is racism'. They did so to distance themselves from the mindless haters after the wtc attacks, which is understandable, terrible mistake thought.

Fair enough if you find religion or something via independent thought but the literal sheep who need the group to decide things for them are pathetic. /pol/ in particular is full of weak, stupid """men""".

regardless of fat jokes
a religion telling you "this food is off limits" for no reason is dumb, but you're supposed to exercise self restraint with food
i'm never going to touch anything that can be labeled junk food

>i'm never going to touch anything that can be labeled junk food
cool have fun with that
religion is still retarded

It's the immediate low IQ edgy reaction to spirituality.
You might notice that the same writers who portray church as evil also draw effeminate men with long hair have mental breakdowns and wanting to destroy the world because they had a 4 minute fit, and the heroes wake up one day and their village is burning.

That is to say, shit writers who never looked into anything at all and relied on short term first impressions.

What's ironic is that those people who are very vocal against religion have adopted spiritual worshipping for technology, social media, or anime.

You do not get away from believing in shit. It appears to be an essential part of humanity because there are too many things we don't understand nor can we see what we know objectively, so we need abstract ideals as an anchor.

The problem is that most people appear to confuse corruption in religious power institutions with the concept of spirituality. They never gave up on a god, they just switched their god to steve jobs, stephen king, elon musk or whatever celebrity they liked.

>Yevon tried to rebrand in X-2 to regain trust
>they just put "New" in front of their name
>it works

>a religion telling you "this food is off limits" for no reason is dumb
There used to be very good reasons for some food being forbidden by religions. The off-limits food is generally things that spoilt easily, or were known to have parasites or house diseases. In best case scenario, religious stories were educational tales intended to keep people from harming themselves.
But in modern world when standards of hygiene (in most places) are much higher and medicine is properly understood, religious food prohibitions don't really serve purpose anymore.