What are some good metroidvanias?

What are some good metroidvanias?
Looking for shit to keep me busy.
I've played pic related.

Attached: cityoftears.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

remar.se/daniel/iji.php
youtube.com/watch?v=WKe19tTnNi4
youtube.com/watch?v=1hV28NDRj3E
youtu.be/t1nIW8pll9g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good news. It's all uphill from here because Hollow Knight isn't actually very good compared to other modern Metroidvanias. Try Ori and the Blind Forest and Salt & Sanctuary

>Hollow Knight isn't actually very good compared to other modern Metroidvanias.
You're full of shit.

Attached: topbug.png (250x273, 33K)

it's not very long but guacamelee was pretty fun
gameplay is crisp
a little cringe 2012 humor thrown in though

Played it.

So far I've played:
Guac
HK
Axiom Verge
Enviro Station A
Every Metroid

Probably some other shit I can't remember too.

Attached: ragdolldance.gif (434x398, 833K)

Try Guacamelee and Ori, also Bloodstained hopefully next month. If you also enjoy Classicvania you might give Curse if the Moon a try. I did and I really liked it for what it was.

Touhou Luna Nights

Attached: fc2e173edf0562c01deeab08a15cbf0f9cc06033.gif (616x320, 2.92M)

Are there more horror metroidvanias besides of Marrow? I mean, real atmospheric horror, not some ass-spooky stuff like castlevanias.

Attached: 1555022819997-v.gif (640x360, 1.68M)

Play Iji, it's a free indie rpg from years ago that will run on any toaster and is underrated but picking up a lil more steam lately. The art is meh but the game itself is dope.

remar.se/daniel/iji.php

I forgot to add Ori to the "Played it" list.

I haven't played many castlevanias though.
I tried to play Symphony of the Night, but for some reason the way the game controls just isn't quite clicking with me.

Rain World is worth playing but it's not exactly a Metroidvania, but it has the same sense of exploration and discovery. Just less leveling / inventory shit and no gating of areas until you get some item like doublejump or something
Have you played SotN or any of the castlevania type games? You might like them. Also I know suggesting these on this board is heresy but Dust is comfy and La Mulana is really good if you can get into it.

You should probably play Cave Story next.

I haven't played metroidvanias before
are you supposed to take damage just by coming in contact with enemies?
is that just how the games are?

>Have you played SotN
Read the post above
>Cave Story?
Yes.

A lot of games do this but its not a criteria. For example, it's not a thing in Salt & Santcuary.

>are you supposed to take damage just by coming in contact with enemies?
That tends to be a staple of platformers in general user, and it's revoltingly hard to make a 2D metoridvania that isn't a platformer in some way.

>cave story

Not a metroidvania.

This but unironically.
HK does a few things well but the overall game is quite lacking in several departments, especially the fucking map which is mediocre as fuck.

why does your character look so fucking retarded
how did you play "every metroid" especially super, and yet be able to bitch about SotN controls which are much easier.
maybe try AoS

>just by coming in contact with enemies?
Nigga that's been a thing since fucking mario. Almost every fucking side scrolling platformer you take damage when you touch an enemy.
Regardless, Rain World, Salt & Sanctuary subvert this.

>all uphill
>recommends Ori
Jesus fucking Christ mate.

At least recommend some actual good metroidvanias like ESA.

>yet be able to bitch about SotN controls which are much easier.
It's nothing about the controls being easy or anything, the game just isn't scratching that "itch"
I dunno how to explain it.

what itch
agreed but for faggots like OP who unironically think HK is good, cave story is about on their level

The "itch"

Attached: hotrape.png (495x398, 81K)

For anyone that cares, the Momodora devs released a new trailer for their upcoming game Minoria.

youtube.com/watch?v=WKe19tTnNi4

Attached: bigtittydemon.jpg (1920x1045, 178K)

>why does your character look so fucking retarded

So you won't fap on him!

I hope it isn't too short.

I wish they kept the pixel art. This looks like cheap flash animation (maybe it is?).

Hi, Rdein. Momo 1 and 3 remasters when?

I unironically want this even more than Blasphemous. Looks way better than it was at start. I hope it'd be as gloomy as momodora was.

Can someone give me a rundown?
Is it super difficult?

Have you tried Metroid or Castlevania?

Castlevania Harmony of Despair is really good but since the online is dead, you're going to get your ass kicked if you play hard mode.

It's average difficulty and maybe only slightly harder if you choose to avoid using her time abilities. Though Raymoo is coming soon as another boss.

Wish I could be hyped for bloodstained but for some reason I just automatically hate everything 3D. It just looks wrong.

How metroidvania-ish is it?
Is it just like a non-linear map with nothing else, or does it have proper powerup progression?

The character seems op. And it looks to be very similar to momodora, which is a good thing in my book.

Fusion is still the best I've played

Attached: giphy.gif (500x476, 147K)

It's as Metroidvania as you can get.

Full SMT metroidvania FUCKING WHEN!?

Attached: syn.jpg (1280x720, 173K)

I want Team Ladybug to make another full, original game. No car stages this time though.

Stop trolling brainlessly.

What fucking itch!?
Do you want to explore, do you want to kill shit get stronger and level up, do you want to get an inventory full of shit, do you want "Ah-HA!" moments, do you want discovery, do you want to blow your fucking brains out?

Pharaoh Rebirth+ was really good. I wish they made another original game instead of just doing short licensed meme games.

>proper powerup progression
what the fuck does this even mean?
Explain how the map is even better than SotNs (hint: it isn't; and sotn's isn't shit compared to super metroid)

One of the best, the cunny is only a bonus.

Attached: DyVqghqVAAAQmEx.jpg (1200x675, 205K)

>the cunny is only a bonus.
Unfortunately, I'm not a total degenerate user.

>so many sequels of metroidvanias I loved on the horizon
>not a single one of them has a release date in sight

Just end me bros. End me right now.

That's why it's 'only a bonus', there is a legitimately good game in there.

then why are you here

It's a 3 hour game with color coded doors for progression gating. You beat a boss, get a red/blue/yellow/etc key and go to the next area. It's practically stage based in this regard.

There's double jump, slide etc abilities that are required to go through some places, but that stuff is only used like 3-5 times in the whole game.

The combat is really spectacular but the time abilities are poorly balanced and you can easily cheese the game by spamming thousand daggers non-stop.

Attached: luna_nights_marisa.gif (616x360, 3M)

Hollow knight's gameplay doesn't feel right to me, unlike MMZ for comparison.
It just reminds me of a bootleg dark souls for girls because of the cute bug characters.
Hollow knight is dark souls for girls.

Attached: 1555604293739.jpg (640x640, 95K)

Give Unworthy a pirate.
It's a metroidvania with dark souls combat if you like that.
Lots of stuff to discover, neat boss fights even though it's a 2d black and white game.
The music and level design are fucking excellent.

Attached: 1519319043959.jpg (640x638, 109K)

list 'em lad

Attached: 142.png (644x644, 936K)

Noth classicvanias and metroidvanias are some of the most satisfying games around, it's also nice that they kept some level of consistency with the various areas of Draculas castle & the surrounding countryside between games, while still making each game unique since the castle is a living thing of chaos that shifts a bit each resurrection

This game is dogshit and can barely be called a metroidvania, same with Dust, this is just pedo shit instead of furfag shit.

But there isn't.
>The combat is really spectacular
>you can easily cheese the game
Pick one and only one.

GIWTWM

Attached: 1B20F50F5A901742EE4565FAC2993C6C48774718[1].jpg (1920x1080, 358K)

>ESA 2
>Silksong
>Rabi-Ribi 2
>Ori 2 could be good because of the AM2R dev

ESA and whatever the fuck Love Bunny is aren't going to be finished in a long time but I can at least hope that Silksong and Ori might have release dates when E3 comes along.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HOW DO I RADIANT THIS DUMB FUCKING NIGGER

Attached: FUCK MOTHS.png (421x491, 194K)

How do people have this in their games and not shudder in disgust or cringe and alt-f4?

I agree it doesn't compare but it's not a bad game, just overhyped by people who never played other metroidvanias.

Going to second this
The graze mechanic makes the combat really neat, also abusing time stop is almost required at certain points.

I tried Unworthy and I didn't like it. It's too obviously "lol 2D dark souls" with nothing of its own going on. Not being able to jump in a 2D game is dumb.

youtube.com/watch?v=1hV28NDRj3E

What do we think about this Yea Forums?

Goddamn you must be young. To this day I take care not to touch enemies in ANY genre of game, out of sheer habit from growing up in the 90s

Looks fucking hype.
They've said it's non-linear, but I don't know if it has item progression or anything.

>graze mechanic
It's really broken.

>stop time, spam thousand daggers, you gain i-frames + graze MP
>now you're all out of time powers, but your MP is at max
>spam thousand daggers in real time, you gain i-frames + graze HP
>now you're all out of MP, but your time powers are back up
>rinse and repeat for god mode

Momodora is pretty good, I liked it better than Hollow Knight, but I think it's mainly because I like the slash in Momodora more than I like the quick slices in HK

youtu.be/t1nIW8pll9g

Ori is even more overrated than HK. What the fuck are you on about?

S&S however has godly couch coop.

Attached: C603458F141636299748630E43F672C6CFFF40A1[1].jpg (1920x1080, 319K)

Momodora's combat definitely has a lot more "weight" to it than HK.

Attached: momo4_fennel.gif (320x240, 3.44M)

Good to see that they put some more conservative clothes on.
Step in the right direction for sure.

>50▶
>File: C603458F141636299748630E4(...).jpg (319 KB
>more conservative clothes
LOOK at the fucking CLEAVage and HUGE TITS are you KIDDING me and short dress SHORT dress THIGHs. stuopid fUCK

>Try Ori and the Blind Forest and Salt & Sanctuary
worse than HK in every possible way
Ori is too easy and S&S is a Dark Souls 2D remake

>ctrl-f Dead Cells
>no results found
pathetic, Yea Forums

This isn't the roguelite thread you fuckwit.

It's a somewhat modest DLC outfit actually, there are super lewd ones too.

Still, the game is full of panty shots and what not.

Attached: D206567D3C3CB6C8D44F1C68BF7FDCA0574C2A10[1].jpg (1920x1080, 457K)

Momodora is literally the best metroidvania I have ever played. I'm thoroughly excited for Minoria.

stop being mad about a game just because its popular

I just found HK boring.
At least Ori is fun just to move about in, and is beautiful to look at.

Ah yeah that's better wording, thank you

What the fuck happened to your post?