What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: League_of_Legends_logo.png (502x198, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PhI-QLG_DJU
na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-810-notes#patch-jungle
na.op.gg/summoner/userName=meddler
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

constantly remaking the meta instead of balancing existing issues.

its still playable but they really lost the magic of the original style

Bought by Tencent

it went from fun to nu-fun

this never made any sense to me but is it because CS and Dota have depth they are games that don't need updates often?

youtu.be/PhI-QLG_DJU

LoL is an ok game but it suffers tremendously from the devs tearing it between being an esport and trying to appeal to casuals.

Also I really fucking hate their balance philosophy that "anything you can't dodge outright has no counterplay", really limits their character designs and results in perfectly cool old characters getting reworked for stupid reasons.

>The flash spell
>Morello - no not the item, the developer
>Everyone has a traversal now except the old as dog shit champs with busted kit
>Tanky DPS
>Everyone's a jungle
>New voice work sucks ass
>Lore scrapped

Mainly this. Champion and skin design especially ended up taking a serious hit because of the desperate attempt to secure eastern markets, resulting in sterile anime ripoff designs and gameplay that's essentially one truly unique and fun ability and the rest of the kit is gap closers and steroids to level it out.

It also doesn't help that despite being the ultimate meta police they've only ever encouraged onetricks for cancerous assassins like Yasuo.

The game is catered to the casuals, Esports will always be just a marketing tool.

Koreans usually just shut the fuck up and deal with it because they fucking can.

>Dota
>Depth
Dota is literally league now. It hasnt had depth in years.

>people voted to rework Volibear instead of Mundo
I can see how bad it is memes being an influence of people's actions

I think the only thing the game needed was a symmetrical map that's it, Even league of legends is blue side purple side is annoying.

My friend has better skill shot ratios playing from bottom to top.

Like any game that goes down the road of triying to be a competitive game they focused on stats and constant change to a meta to keep it fresh. League will never settle down it will always change and because of the change it's impossible for anyone who isnt intrested in investing time into the game to enjoy it. Also they prioritize making the kits of reworked and new champions into the competitive viability bucket instead of the unique fun category because they shill out champions like rabbits shit out babies.

Attached: 1529435185604.gif (250x251, 998K)

They keep getting rid of URF which is the only fun gamemode besides dominion

>game is still played by millions of players globally and makes tens of millions of dollars every year in skin sales alone
>implying anything has gone wrong

Attached: 78.jpg (651x768, 72K)

Game is a complete waste of time because the matchmaking system will pair you with potatoes if you win more than two games in a row.

I still don't understand how they can have champions with 75%+ ban rates with no changes for two years, but they will hot fix anything that breaks their safespace meta

I grew up.

God it hurts so bad, used to play League back in season 1-3, then stopped because I didn't like direction game was going. Dota 2 comes out, start playing that, starts going in exactly the same fucking direction League went. Can't even have fun in ability draft anymore because the changes are so fundamental to how the game actually works.

>tfw no matter how long a break I take from the game I can reliably assume Zed and Yasuo are must bans, Ahri is constantly picked in pubs with a good win rate, and Sona is omnipresent

Imagine being this wrong.
DOTA 2 DABBING ON THE MASS GRAVE THAT IS LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Attached: dabs.jpg (678x894, 204K)

These, plus they overcomplicated everyone's abilities. Spell descriptions used to be a single line, now each one has a paragraph about its passive effect and one about its active effect and the status it applies to foes after 5 consecutive attacks etc

Esports ruins everything.

Introduction of more RNG after busting their balls removing it from shit like fear or Jax's dodge.
Removed emphasis on macro-level strategic decision making in favor of forcing flashier skirmishes and quicker games.

Globally being the keyword.

They're catering to bugmen.

>tfw crab meta got so bad that if you picked a jungler other than xin, trundle or graves you'd be reported for trolling
>this lasted 6 months

pretty much
JUST as people were starting to wrap their heads around how to counter something, patched
It was not going to last long, and a lot of people could see it coming when they started these rapid fire patches

To be perfectly fucking frank with you all, the core gameplay is fun as fuck and i wish i could play a mmorpg, or even a good single player rpg, with that perspective, control scheme, tightness and speed.
The rest of the game is fucking awful. Everything else about it is unbelievably bad, and exactly what went wrong

Balance is shit, and matchmaking is bad as fuck

But it really doesnt have depth. You build basically the exact same shit every single game depending on the hero you play and change 1 or 2 late game items accordingly based on who the enemy team picks. Talents are also incredibly one sided in which one to pick.

>crab meta
Explain? I haven't played since they released Ivern

The river crab was so important and spawned so early that if you picked and early jungler and just took both youd shit all over the enemy jungler and just win

incredibly wrong

>matchmaking is bad as fuck
I still remember when it didn't balance premades
me and 4 other scrub friends could wipe the floor with much higher skilled solo players, was pretty fun too

They cleaved the XP and gold from every jungle monster in half and added it all to the scuttle crab (there's only 1 at a time), meaning if you didn't pick a champion that can duel early (Xin, Trundle, Graves) you lost it to the enemy and fell behind, and it was basically impossible to catch up

Let me guess, they buffed the EXP values even though the entire point of the crab was to be low-risk moderate reward objective control?

i ocasionally play for the stupid chests and i really realised something.

league is the kind of game that only an insectoid cuckold could make. it is literally designed to humiliate you while the reward loops are stacked on top of each other so you cant escape the addiction.

Attached: af9992530e16c74f26d424ee9aa5c437.jpg (563x551, 30K)

Yep spot on. Honestly the design team doesn't play the fucking game because the decisions they made are so fucking bad. I lost my account I had since season 2 in Season 7 after like 5 years of clean behaviour I got permabanned because the game got so frustrating and awful that literally NO ONE wanted to play. Made it worse being in OCE where in Masters+ you just played against the same 50 people every day.

>this kills the jungle
na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-810-notes#patch-jungle

The metagame.

League was way more fun at birth when no one knew what to do and anything was viable. I miss those days :'(

Not only did you fall behind but the enemy's jungle didn't need to focus on anything but ganks until the next crab. This was such a kick in the nuts because in lane even if your opponent denies you cs you'd still get the experience, but jungle didn't even get that

The meta last year was so fucked, double ADC bot was viable and Faker played Taric mid in a tournament because nothing but the ADC mattered

>am a terrible player
>manage to get a few wins
>suddenly I'm facing master tier smurf duos

Attached: 1552713885964.gif (280x200, 1.94M)

They gutted ad carries and turret damage. Bot lane is fucking boring as fuck now.

You wanna know what killed the game?
THIS is the lead gameplay designer
na.op.gg/summoner/userName=meddler

the game has some big fundament flaws but instead of fixing them riot just slapped tape on it while adding more shit. Now you can't fix the core flaws without changing everything about the game

Attached: 1548351365359.png (714x186, 13K)

They could slightly fix leeg by locking ad items into ranged/melee only.

>gold 2
>played seven games the last 2 weeks
This can't be real

Gameplay went to shit, everyone dies in 2 seconds to the point where it feels like you're playing a shooter instead of a MOBA

This caused me to quit because tank main. Dead game.

>shit at the game
>in charge of design and nerfs
>literally named meddler
Based AF

Attached: 1521680509545.jpg (480x477, 30K)

Ekko. Start of the harsh decline in champ design where they have Champs everything in 1 kit.

I've played on and off since s1 and am d4 currently and will probably never stop playing but some Champs are so cancerous to the game (new irelia etc)

>devs don't actually play the game
>fuck up the design
EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN TIME

at least morello was diamond

It started with Thresh actually

you mean zed

They probably spend all their time playing with the new patches/changes amongst themselves. That's very dangerous for the health of the game.

>Ekko. Start of the harsh decline in champ design

Idk user Jarvan's release made Flash mandatory and Ahri began the hypermobile cancer creep.

Zed is well designed
Realistically just by virtue of being in the game flash was always going to be mandatory, some heroes couldn't function without it. Ahri is aids design though.

Trying to force a specific archetypes for champ designs instead of letting the community naturally coming up the best roles for them, even if goes against Riot's intentions with them or the ever present "meta"

The best example of this would have been the onhit Neeko build that got popular.
>Riot complains about they can't make unique ADC
>A champion that was meant to be a mage was just total dogshit at the role, however she found life as an AA based carry
>Riot guts her AA based carry playstyle making it unviable
>Shes now just a shitty mage forever with a retarded gimmick.

Zed's kit was overloaded as fuck and had to be nerfed every patch for like 2 years straight

YOU SHOULDVE LISTENED
YOU SHOULDVE LIISTTEEEENNNNEED

Attached: file.png (1200x630, 1.64M)

Singed needs tenacity back on his ult

I miss her, bros...

Attached: Nikasaur.jpg (1000x667, 74K)

And Attack Damage and Attack Speed.

the game bans you for trash talk thats where it went wrong

She got fat btw

Attached: DhD7TsmU0AIXEDo.jpg (1536x2048, 275K)

most do now sadly

>She got fat BEFORE someone knocked her up
What a fucking waste.

Pandering to pugs while games average 40mins each, plus a high teamwork focus, fosters both a shitty community and a requirement to interact with them.

I never gave up on the game itself. I gave up on the community.

More to love

Riot "full fucking retard" Video Games.

Attached: Hash.jpg (500x500, 19K)

yummy wummy!!!~~ uguu she's a bit tastier now I thinks

They didn't make MMO out of this already with all characters included or some decent RPG inside the universum.
I would kill for latter

Attached: 1544501115355.jpg (630x833, 338K)

Does dota 2 have daylies or anything? I've been looking to switch my "I've got absolutely nothing better to do right now" game

Games are too long and everyone loses interest pretty quick, look at how often you have a teammate alt tabbed at the start of the game

dang she's pretty active on twitch too.

Season 5 happened and it went all down hill from there besides a few cool champions being added.

>I don't like fun, just numbers

>mfw my days of playing one of the most comfy characters in moba history, Abathur, will be over probably in the next year or 2

Attached: 1542791387704.png (150x152, 39K)

>fun builds discouraged
>try harding encouraged

this happened and even worse you can get reported and suspended for it now

>Games are too long
Everyone dies from a poke and the game is decided by 15 minutes, "too long." Zoomers gonna zoom.

Attached: 1540759524554.jpg (198x221, 6K)

A single player RPG with the champions as party members would be absolutely fantastic, but no, we need MOBAs for the crowd of players that absolutely despise fun and love being miserable

>Champs strong in proplay are gutted in soloqueue while still being viable picks in proplay; the exact opposite outcome riot wanted.

Fucking infuriating. Ruined galio/ryze/akali/azir/kench and soon to be sylas

they get rid of URF cuz it lead to a decrease of players. Theyd play it, then itd go away, and then people would realize normal league isnt as fun as URF, so they quit

That's my point. The result of a game is decided by about 15 minutes with no chance of comeback because everyone is a tank, but you need to hang around for 25 more minutes in spite of this

Back in season 1 I was regularly in matches that lasted for over an hour so imo time isn't a problem. They need to just dial the damage back but that would require a balance team that actually know what the fuck they were doing.

CertainlyT

league has been so extraordinarily bad for 5+ years i feel for people that are addicted to it

more and more RNG, more and more reliability on teammates coordination to win, more an more bullshit champs with gimmicky mechanics to make things seem 'new'
and yea not to mention in recent months a bunch of champs are just flat out better than others in every way and you can only ban one champ per game. I've been playing for 5 years and have been playing less and less this year

They are. It is 100% sunk cost fallacy at this point, losing my account was the best thing that ever happened to me and I can guarantee you that if everyone stopped playing League now a fair portion of them would suddenly live better lives.

>Zed is well designed
>Manaless ranged waveclear/poke tool on an assassin

No lol

>Game is a complete waste of time because the matchmaking system will pair you with potatoes if you win more than two games in a row.

thiiiiissssssss
atm im losing games on purpose to fix my mmr, it's fucking unplayable. you win your lane but the team literally run down mid or flame for no reasons.
i swear the matchmaking is rigged if you have an account with a mediocre winrate

Attached: gun.jpg (480x426, 17K)

No. Every dota hero is free.

the game was never balanced and it never will be and the devs dont listen to the people who actually play then game

how can anyone play this garbage when dota is right there.

this game subsists on anime tiddies and sunken cost

anime tiddies you say

Attached: 1545002737290.jpg (467x348, 40K)

I want to sniff Ahri's feet bros...........

what happened?
I was considering playing Dota 2 because I realized lol is just a game for children with no design philosophy and depth behind it.

What did they do to Dota2?

theyve been adding qol things straight from league for years but nothing too crazy.

still a great game and the best moba on the market

Nothing, just typical faggots talking shit about things they know nothing about

>they get rid of URF cuz getting rid of urf lead to a decrease of players
thanks rito

Attached: 1556266125107.gif (448x246, 3.43M)

enjoy it while it lasts

Attached: 1490312743889.png (538x560, 614K)

So stop getting rid of it. Me and my friends only play urf, I'm sure many other people are the same

Dota is harder, has no advertising, valve don't shit out pointless blogs, doesn't pander to weebs or horny teenagers and has higher system requirements.

>half the champs if not more has a generic as fuck mobility dash/jump in the game instead of something unique.
U tell me man

I think that for a free game, it's achieved incredible heights: there's so many fucking characters, animations, artwork, etc. even the gameplay itself is really fun. But holy shit is it hard for them to balance everything as massive as it's become, and I don't know how changes (like anons suggest) work without shitting the bed. vlog over

LOOOOOOL the absolute STATE of riot games

>league
balances towards removing "Op" elements and forces a meta every season. Power and mobility creep are a problem because there are more buffs than nerfs
>Dota
Dark Willow now has an aghs that lets you delete a farm sniper from the game outrange him and you can't click on her, also 2 wolves

DAMN YOU HUERGH

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

and fuck magic

Attached: 1546583835996.png (800x588, 471K)

Attached: bleah2.gif (480x480, 2.56M)

Also to the dude that said this game is becoming more league like.
Fucking AM's scepter adds 70 seconds to your highest CD ability when you die to his ult, and the timer starts after you respawn.

And it can be on a potentially 35 second cooldown.

Being an Illidan main means that we are friends user. That doesn't change even when it's over.

Attached: czechem.jpg (288x267, 34K)

Don't forget mars permabashing you with aghs.

>have an account with a ton of skins
>quit 6 years ago

is there any way I could sell the account for money? you think people would actually buy it?

morello was fucking silver and got boosted to diamond in 5s by phreak you mongoloid
I loved Morello's design philosophies and balancing mostly but he was silver through and through

if you kept playing the game after they stopped doing dev update videos in the supply closet and clg and tsm were the only relevant teams you wasted your time

Attached: 1386896903364.jpg (209x241, 9K)

just don't play on summoners rift, everything else is fine and can be fun with the right champion and friends, specially Blitz (whenever Riot decides to push it as a permanent mode Jesus Christ)

if he played more he would have to suffer the fkn game design and balancing choices.

skins from 6 years ago dont mean shit, unless you have pax twisted fate

stupid mongoloid.
she got fat bcs she is surrounded by beta so(y)bois like you.

They way they balance is like 52 pick up
god forbid they try and balance the game over the course of many years instead after season 3 they just stopped giving an honest shit

i dont play neither but dota is ugly as fuck.
only a slav could find that abhorent uglyness appealing

I wonder what Icefrog's MMR is

so it's all worthless then? alright

>Champion designed under old map, old items, old objectives, old runes
>Change anyone of these with a new season while not touching the champions
>Surprised when many become irrelevant, unpicked
This is riot's inherent problem, is power/feature creep 101

Removed ability to solo carry
Lowered death timers
Created more champions with mobility/stealth/utility in one kit
Overloaded passives/kits
Forgotten about old champions who have now reemerged with cancerous ratios
One person can lose you the game
Bounties can destroy an entire game
Champions that are labeled "support" but are assassins with an execute.
No counter to shields
Only 1/3rd of the adcs are actually viable
Throws everyone into the same starting rank
Smurfs and boosters are actually at an all time high
Toxicity initiative destroyed what little of the community was left, now ragers inters afkrs are common.
Still no feature to replace afk player with a bot, still no vote-kicks in champion select to counters disco nunus etc, still no definite ff @ 15

Management of the game itself; balance & metagame. Thanks due the chinese

Pretty much this.

>Throws everyone into the same starting rank
This is the most stupid thing. Imagine if people got placed into gold or plat based on how they play? If they were just abusing broken shit and ended up there they would quickly fall to their correct rank and smurf wouldn't ruin the game for everyone else either.

This. I'll get all gold team one game and then the next I'll get a random bronze jungler and silvers while the enemy is all gold. If you complain on the forums an entire league of riotdrones comes to defend their "perfect' game.

>an entire league of riotdrones comes to defend their "perfect' game
say something bad about china on the forums and see the chinks descend upon you with downvotes like biblical locusts

Literally Flash since day fucking one.

They limited themselves far too much in their designs for new characters, leading to baically having just a few actual options. Half the cast is "fills a specific role plus has this one gimmick", until bard, all heals were basically "heal X amount plus give a buff", and the buff itself was the only difference. The same goes for all those "every three attacks, exrta damage" or "reset autoattack and dela extra damag" or "hit for X% of the enemies health" skills. Theres characters whose entire set is only different due to the Ultimate, and even then yu still find lots of similarities like how Ezreal, Jinx and Ashe all have global ults that make damage with slight variations. Lots of stuff that would actually stand out and make the game interesting are modified so that you can only use them for very specific purposes.
Game is also designed so that teamfights are over in a flash, if you coordinate your attack properly, the enemies simply combusts to death in half a second with barely any chance to react (this is also why Flash is so vital and the game cannot be played without it).
And the there's the problem of meta enforcing. They got so much into the whole meta thing that any try at playing the game diferently gets shot down for being "unfun", which simply means "we don't know how to balance the game around what you guys just did".
Basically, anything that could potentially make every match unique and memorable is considered as negative by the designers, and quickly transformed into a more bland and repetitive experience.

>replace afk player with a bot
Yeah good idea let's give the enemy free kills

League was never EVER good. People say S2 was the "peak" but the company was still hilariously incompetent, the meta was more stale than these week old dollar store crackers im currently eating and the only interesting picks came from Moscow 5

>LoL is an ok game but it suffers tremendously from the devs tearing it between being an esport and trying to appeal to casuals.

Yeah, they try to balance the game for every single level of play, from bronze to diamond, from challenger to pro play... and that's impossible. That's why there are only 50 viable champions in competitive at any given time, you can't buff stuff like Master Yi without making him completely broken in bronze.

I don't know what the right approach should be to be honest. On one hand, 80% of people play in bronze-silver-gold, so it makes sense if they try to make the game more fun for them. On the other hand they don't understand shit about the game, so...

Its hard to describe, but the gameplay has a similar problem I have with overwatch where it feels too "clean". Almost every ability has a wind up and most of them have range/aoe indicators. Most of the weirder/niche abilities have been weeded out over time making a lot of characters feel very similar. I feel like some of the old and janky stuff was what gave the game its personality, and they've gone too for in the other direction

riot is ran by hipster trash no wonder