15 years ago and it still looks fucking good

>15 years ago and it still looks fucking good
How the fuck did they do it, bros

Attached: 518rzM1QttL._SY445_.jpg (315x445, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vpa0kBm2skM?t=133
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good artstyle and having things look good where they actually count.

>basically a pc tech demo

very clean textures

Too bad it plays like shit and the ''''''puzzles'''''' are fucking retarded.

It looked like shitnwhen it came out tho, Doom 3 looked way better

Who are you quoting?

Literally the only thing Doom 3 had over it was dynamic lighting, everything else from the textures to models looked far worse.

Doom 3 was btfo'd by HL2 and Far Cry.

Physics was immensely worse too.

they keep updating it

That's a meme
youtu.be/vpa0kBm2skM?t=133
There isn't that big a difference

This
Its clean as shit. Been replaying and its so crisp compared to the blurry shit we have now.

Valve is pretty good about environmental cues and maximizing what they DO have vs didnt. Its more important that a given frame convey info to a player than it look good. glowing eyes draw the player's aim to the combine's head, for example.

HL2 aesthetically doesnt hold up due to super accurate photorealistic grass, it holds up because the graphics tell you what it needs to tell you. nothing more or less

the urban environments look great, the highway levels less so

The facial animations in this game still look incredible.

what i want to know is how the fuck does HL2 run flawlessly on my shitty old thinkpad but Deus Ex runs like shit

Valve then (idk about now) had legitimately talented programmers. that said, HL2 at launch was buggy cuz it was rushed for Steam launch, but that was ironed out fast. it was glitchy with the launcher, but still well-optimized graphically

>16 years ago and still looks fucking good
How did they do it?

Attached: Silent Hill 3.jpg (1920x1080, 808K)

base-
just kidding, fuck you.

Half-Life 2 invented the "walk and follow while listening to dialogue but you can't do anything" that has become a standard of cinematic games.

Same way Half-Life 2 did, made what you're going to remember the most(faces, models, environments as a cohesive whole) look good before anything else.

Attached: Silent Hill 3 PC.gif (399x414, 3.95M)

It's called dynamic adjustment to player
It detected you're shit and that you're retarded.

>HL2 at launch was buggy cuz it was rushed for Steam launch

Attached: hl2.exe has stopped working.jpg (500x375, 88K)

That happens 10 times at most during the whole game, and it happens with things you really need to know.

man I still think silent hill 3 is one of the best looking games to this day. I love the art direction in the game so much.

Attached: 1404861448672.jpg (1920x1080, 102K)

You could not have picked a worse screenshot holy fuck Heather looks like a frog here.

Attached: RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU.png (3532x687, 478K)

They understood that technology means nothing if you don't have great art direction to apply it to

Attached: aspect_raidou.png (1956x708, 708K)