How do you feel about the future of gaming being streaming...

How do you feel about the future of gaming being streaming? I think I am too much of a boomer and will miss actual hardware but since going fully digital I don't miss boxes so maybe I won't care.

Attached: 1558506623514.jpg (850x750, 242K)

The future isn't streaming, the future for casuals is streaming. I'll always have my own downloads and hardware

As long as I can still game on my old consoles I don't care, honestly. Although I am worried that they'll start breaking down and become scarce.

This....I have another new PS2 in my closet just in case the current one finally craps out because this scares the shit out of me

The future of gaming is not streaming. Its PC gaming on Ryzens using Linux. Just give up, StDia will fail.

Honestly Streaming being the prime mode of game distribution is a long way off. It'll really struggle in places with good internet (Major US cities, Japan, Korea, Western Europe) and be nigh impossible in places with shit internet (Midwest USA, Australia, Eastern Europe).

It really is a pipedream for big tech companies atm.

Until america and europe can afford good internet then i doubt anything will happen.

If and when games become streaming only, I'll be happy to give up on new games and start looking back on all the great classics I've missed.

Anything with moving parts will eventually break.

Maybe people who actually game on hardware will be like people who listen to music on vinyl? I now have normies ask me with confusion why the hell I still have an entire people instead of just a laptop or tablet.

"Why have a big ugly box, desk and all those wires?"

Normies have no souls.

It makes extremely worried to think that all games in the future will be digital / downloaded. This is both good and bad for preservation.

There's something to be said about having a physical copy of a game: for future generations to enjoy, but also a piece of history JUST IN CASE something catastrophic happens to the Internet or Industry.

God forbid, if something catastrophic happens to the Internet or the Industrial world, all of your favorite downloaded games... POOF. Literally vanish from the face of the earth, and all you'll have is discs and decaying hardware.

More hobbyists need to be illegally manufacturing discs in my opinion and distributing them for free. We need games in libraries and more games in the library of congress. Having all games in the cloud could be the most tragic example of having "All your eggs in one basket." Do I need to remind you what happened to P.T.?

CDs and DVDs rot, even if the internet goes out my Spinning disks full of games will still work. Losing physical sucks but even now the disks for the consoles don't have most of the game on it

>How do you feel about the future of gaming being streaming?
It's not. It's still leaning toward digital downloads since storage is always expanding and the vast majority don't have good enough internet to stream.

>I think I am too much of a boomer
More like zoomer, you post frogs and are "fully digital", idiot.

That's why I think it's important to keep manufacturing the most loved games and the games most worthy of preservation. Even illegally.

I still don't know how this is happening to people because I have a metric shitload of PS1/2 games that still function perfectly and have no signs of degradation.

ruined by SJW, jews, mentally ill and puerile cucks

I believe the self life is 20-25 years alot of factors like moisture and shit to also account for

Live in the Midwest and have multiple 1gb/s options

I guess when my Legend of Mana disc finally craps out I'll know for sure then

Last night I busted open my PS3 and a disc that were sitting neglected in my closet. I plugged it in expecting the worst and preparing to be really sad but lo and behold...

They worked seemingly without issue. I played The Last of Us and was really happy. I think it helps if you keep your discs in the case and also prevent your console from collecting dust (literally collecting dust. dust that shit off once in a while)

I'm not tech savvy but I did read an article that said that if your laptop isn't used for a long time, it is way more likely to malfunction and stop working.

Seriously, boot your consoles up once in a while. Excersize your hardware and actually play them once in a blue moon. Don't let that shit sit and be neglected.

Really? I was led to believe Rural US had trash internet due to poor infrastructure and monopolies by big telecoms.

>all these buzzwords
>calls anyone puerile
Go outside. Get some fresh air. Have sex.

what will happen to modding?

I'm 28 and don't buy physical because I don't want that shit cluttering my house.

it's w/e

it's tranny based celeb shit now, i buy non AAA games and pirate the rest

god i hate subscriptions services

>catastrophic event happens, world is fucked
>at least i can play my physical videogames

You will not be able to access the game's files unless Google is renting you a VM. Stadia will most likely have no modding

Yeah I think this crap mainly happens to people who lie their discs out in the open or let them get exposed to all kinds of bullshit. Anything I've kept on a shelf in the original case still to this day functions and looks immaculate despite some of it being 20+ years old at this point.

I know they'll eventually die on me but I don't expect to have to worry about that for at least another 10 years at best so long as I take care of them.

Yeah well you're a homo so don't bother replying to me again.

Okay.

I don't like it because it's going to be as cancerous as any other paid subsciprtion thing, like cable or Netflix. There are going to be exclusives and if you want everything, you'll end up paying for 5 or so services.

Someone explain streaming games to a retard

>>It's not. It's still leaning toward digital downloads since storage is always expanding and the vast majority don't have good enough internet to stream.
Listen to this man, this stadia shit is going to fail hard sooner or later.

He's exaggerating the extent of the problem, but you're doing yourself no favors with this sort of idiotic reply.

Streaming is meh, but I'll watch lets plays for games I don't want to play because I'm too chicken shit. Or if the CC is a funny guy, which they rarely ever are.

Streaming will be a much bigger part of gaming going forward, but it will never be *THE* future. The infrastructure, and thefore the demand, just isn't there.

What I can totally see, though, is some kind of hybrid system where all the on-demand computations are done on the console you own, and more technically demanding but less minute-by-minute number crunching is done on a cloud server. So your game is on your console, but it has to stream the data from a central server instead of loading from a disc between levels. Also, it would phone home for things like enemy AI or physics computations.

nVidia is already doing stuff like this for their graphics upscaling, to mixed success.
The future certainly involves streaming, but I think it's going to require a mix of set-top box and streaming for the best experience.

Eventually you will play games via a streaming service similar to how you now watch movies and tv.

As I said before that seems like a really bad idea for the long-term preservation of games if something really, really bad were to happen.

The thought that our games are only available on cloud or for download or whatever makes me worried. Don't get me wrong, the Internet is a vital avenue of preservation (see: roms and emulators) but it can't be the ONLY avenue.

I doubt it will be the only option just the most overwhelmingly common due to convenience. People still buy physical media even for music.

Guys, I'm conflicted

I'm extremely autistic about having physical copies of games, but I desperately want SMM2 and AC Switch digitally because it's so convenient

Somebody convince me to do one or the other

I can't imagine streaming a fighting game and trying to play it online. It'd be hell.

>There's something to be said about having a physical copy of a game: for future generations to enjoy, but also a piece of history JUST IN CASE something catastrophic happens to the Internet or Industry.

zoomers who play electronic snoylent movies don't care about future generation because they dont' want children period

the only people who care about future of videogames must resort to literal violence to preserve games. heist tier stunts to steal ROM of rare arcade board or forcing people to release source code at gunpoint is not some meme joke, it's a reality we're now