Is this still the best game of all time?

Is this still the best game of all time?

Attached: zeldabow_hero_2.jpg (700x394, 63K)

it got pooped on by red dead 2.

Why can't you figure out using a cooking pot is more effective than shoving raw meat down your gullet?

Not even in the top 10

Attached: metatop10.png (984x488, 34K)

It never was

no. It is second to chrono trigger

yes

People don't unironically use reviews to judge quality right?

rdr2 its a top detailed and polished game but boring as fuck

allowing normies to play video games was a mistake
literally 0 of those games would be in my top HUNDRED

>metacritic
people need to stop being nostalgia whores

OoT and the Galaxy's are gud

For me it is. All I've ever wanted was a Zelda game that puts exploration at the forefront like the first LoZ and feels like a real world, and this is it. Wind Waker almost went in that direction but then it half-assed everything.

It was a good game but it felt too empty and dull at times.
Especially the northern half of the map is incredibly boring, adding at least one other optional village there and some more interesting sights, it might bump it up a bit for me.
Enemy variety and weapon moveset variety also needed to be improved.

I played Rage 2 yesterday. The gameplay is that you're a ranger, your job is basically to save the world but all you get are fetch quests, boring abilities that you have to unlock, and when you get new weapons they put you in a fucking test room. So yeah, BotW is still light years ahead of other open world games.

What contender has come out since the last time you asked?

>The devs themselves admitted defeat

Attached: 1558810359433.png (402x261, 237K)

>outsells it in a month
>RDR 2 gets 97 on both platforms while botw is 97 and 96, so it outscores it too
What defeat? By every single metric drones used to defend botw, red dead beat it

Not even the best game to come out that year.

Why do you people keep making these fucking threads. I like the game but I'm so sick of you faggots using it for console war shitposting/baiting for (yous).

Attached: 1558560303400.png (1485x900, 320K)

Deus Ex, Thief, Thief 2, Doom, Tetris, Half Life 1, Link's Awakening, Mario 3, Mario 64, Dwarf Fortress, and Morrowind are still better. It does beat out Dark Souls, Sekiro, Warband, Dishonoured, and nuDoom for the best game this decade though.

Not even the best game in its Gen (Bloodborne). A sequel using the same engine could be goat tho, but the combat enemies and dungeons are dogshit. Almost feels like a concept or tech demo.

Who the fuck are you quoting?

yes

cope

Attached: 1502042738660.png (661x670, 98K)

His ass.

>still full price

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 69K)

Oh, game reviews count now?
Then you do know that BoTW is listed as GOAT everywhere except here in contrarian central, right?

Attached: 1554981828794.jpg (1011x1024, 143K)

>Who the fuck are you quoting?
Basically every dev who's worth his salt.

Attached: 1532939176730(2).png (1861x1080, 420K)

if they're worth their salt why don't they say what studio they work for.

What is quality about BotW's combat?

No. RDR2 isn't even better than RDR1, let alone BotW.

Some people are drones who need their opinions spoonfed to them because they can't think for themselves.

It's not as good as TP's swordplay for example; but, BotW justifies it by having better control and versatility in it's combat. It's also far better than Elder Scrolls or Red Dead combat if you want to compare it to other open-world games.

>implying RDR2 has good combat
Yikes

You can thank e-celebs for that. I was baffled people started talking about FMC1, lo and behold it's another e-celeb making a shill video about it

Literally nobody believes this to be true.

>Ubisoft open world games? Aren't those just OCD Collectathons? Why would I play something that boring? Definitely the worst thing to come out of the 7th gen. Who the fuck would play Far Cry 5 and collect 30 baseball cards for no reason
>Another orange building I can turn blue! Good god I love this so much! (Sheds 97 tears) I have spent around 20 hours turning orange buildings blue and it's been the time of my life. If only Iwata had lived to see this
BOTW is slightly better than Fallout at depicting a world utterly desolate and razed of all life, I'll give it that

Attached: 1984.jpg (2000x1252, 473K)

>sales
>reviews
RDR2 won in those but not in quality.

BOTW is iterally considered what may as well be the best game of all time everywhere but here. And Yea Forums's opinion is absolutely worthless as everyone who actively posts here is a faggot trying to out-faggot all the other faggots.

They're both open-world games where you can collect stuff, no?

Metacritic didn't become an actual review site until 2008, so most of the scores for classic games aren't accurate due to lack of reviews inflating the scores. The real highest rated games are these
> 1. Ocarina of Time (99)
> 2. SoulCalibur (98)
> 3. Grand Theft Auto 4 (98)
> 4. Chrono Trigger (97)
> 5. Super Metroid (97)
> 6. Metroid Prime (97)
> 7. Breath of the Wild (97)
> 8. Perfect Dark (97)
> 9. Super Mario Odyssey (97)
> 10. Super Mario 64 (97)
> 11. Super Mario Bros 3 (97)
> 12. Super Mario World 2 (97)
> 13. Super Mario Galaxy (97)
> 14. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97)
> 15. Resident Evil 4 (97)
> 16. Portal (97)
> 17. Metal Gear Solid 2 (97)
> 18. Half-Life 2 (97)
> 19. Radiant Silvergun (97)
> 20. Tekken 3 (97)

Still has the record for most perfect reviews, which has to count for something

RDR2 fans, shut the fuck up about reviews, awards and sales.
BotW fans, shut the fuck up about reviews, sales and awards.
Debate the games on their own merits. Reviews, sales and awards don't make a game good.

Reviews & Awards make a good game legendary

>No game has done verticality better than BOTW
Link can scale 90 degree walls because the devs could see most people run straight for the objective marker in these games. In what universe is that "Well designed verticality".
The rain area is a gimmick with the premise that for the first time the player can't just Todd Howard every mountain and has to actually think about walking along a path of some sort, and you only have to do it for a couple minutes.

oof

Attached: 4ckaevfrd0gz.jpg (1137x640, 43K)

>other people's opinions make a game this buzzword

>Debate the games on their own merits.
How about we don't? Open world genre is where their similarities end, they are very different games with their pros and cons, game design, themes and even intended audience. Choosing one or the other is a completely subjective thing, like choosing between apples and oranges.

Only if you mod it.

Attached: 013.png (1920x1080, 3.02M)

Note that I dont have anything against it being the best or top 5, but most people associate the top with perfection, and that would be dishonest to call BoTw perfect and sweep its problems under the rug, condemning every sequel to be inferior.
For the combat, It encourages outside of the box thinking and like previous Zeldas you have a varied toolkit to deal with enemies (previous entries had stuff like bombchus but BotW has more creative tools). But the direct swordplay has been downgraded and the slow motion dodge is basically broken, the weapon degradation is poorly implemented and the weapons themselves dont have interesting movesets (a better ball and chain than TP would have been welcome)
That's not good enough to count as good combat system. Other open world games would have been blasted for the perfect dodge mechanic in BoTW.

Then you have the divine beast/shrines being an inconsistent replacement for proper dungeons.
And the last thing is the quest design which is down right MMO tier. There's no reason an old as fuck game like Guild Wars should have better quests than BotW.
I wont fault the game too much for the story, but Its disappointing we haven't gotten a single Zelda with a better plot than Majora's Mask.

That's literally the edge of the map though and the game clearly communicates so independent of the dumb text prompt. It's dumb and should be taken out; but, it is a text box you'll see probably once in a 100+ hour game. Or are you complaining that the game map isn't infinitely large?

That's a good idea too, but if you must debate them it should be based on something better than "it's good because this journo said so."

New Vegas is an open-world game where the places you can explore generally tell some sort of story or have some interesting things to do/people to help inside them.
If you think an open-world game can only be "Sculpt map in blender -> drop collectables throughout -> build main quest" I highly suggest you try NV.
It's better than BOTW, RDR, or Ubisoft games

The fact that there are so many possibilities. You can use your environment to your advantage(not just taking cover behind a tree to shoot someone.)
A few examples of this in botw.

>Burn grass and use the hot air to get a height adventage + fire damage on the enemy
>Shoot a beehive and the bees will start attacking the enemy

You don't expect us to enjoy the stale gunplay from red dead2, right?

No

Attached: 2190.jpg (2700x2000, 917K)

I, unironically, dont even think BotW is the best zelda. Let alone best game.
Exploring is great but
>4 15 minute dungeons
>all with the same aesthetic
>100+ 2 minute shrines
>all with the same aesthetic
>like 7 enemies

I didn't vote, it doesn't count.

No but I expect to use the swordplay of BoTW, especially in boss fights where I dont have access to environmental elements to exploit. You cant use the environment as an excuse for poor combat.

Why is Castlevania always rated so fucking high?

The lists by year are so different, how can anyone take this seriously

Because if we spammed the same exact games every time like IGN, then it would be clear that we are just NPC's without opinions of our own

No

>if your favorite game of all time doesnt wildly change constantly then you're an npc
Okay

Boss fights are pretty trash in this game. I mainly played this for the exploring and exploiting mechanics.

Maybe not the best of all time but definitely Top 10. Maybe even Top 5.

Ahem

Attached: Morrowind-Logo-1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

>Why is a game listed in a list about good games
Gee dunno xD

Overrated shit, just like everything developed by Bugthesda Shitworks. RDR2 is shit and is still better.

How do we know if time is eternal?

Daggerfall is better than morrowind

Fuck no lmao it’s 7/10 at best.

>2 separate multiplats
simply
ebin

>RDR2
>7.4 user score

Why?

No game is perfect. So, best of all time =/= perfect

It's lower than the user score on the PS4 version even though the Xbox version is superior, there's also a certain playerbase from a certain platform that should've gotten the game but didn't. Connect the dots.

Kek no, it's a 7.5 out of 10 for me,done nothing new or original and I'm generally just sick of Nintendo cheaping out on game development, it looks like a gamecube title with bloom

It's a movie

Top kek lad, upvoted.

That's what I conclude as well. The best game of all time could not possibly be perfect at every thing. Because games are far too complex to judge them accurately, and hold an intrinsic value that score systems can't grasp. The game just needs to be more than the sum of its parts, and it takes expert directing to pull that off. Downside is that only works once, every BotW sequel will now be directly compared with it feature by feature and it will need to have its own revolutionary twist to hope surpassing it.
Otherwise the flaws from BoTW would become much more apparent if left unfixed.