JRPG

>JRPG
>a bunch of kids kill an evil god through the power of friendship
>WRPG
>collect 4 macguffins to stop the big bad from awakening ancient evil

Attached: main-qimg-eda0280eefce4192182a271dc0cd3d27[1].jpg (602x339, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CZS01XzwUQo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>JRPG
>starts with the end of the world
>you turn into a demon and demons are your friends now
>become Lucifer's bestie
dare I say, Kino

Attached: 1530647142063.gif (376x396, 1.2M)

I honestly prefer the way WRPG's do it, only because the whole god killing thing is a bit much, even for a silly game.

Finished Persona 5 for the first time a couple days ago and im so dissapointed they ended up killing a god. If only the big boss had been the grail in mementos it would have been a much better ending. Other than that, solid game, i'd give it an 8/10

>WRPG
Alduin, an immensely powerful ancient dragon, is resurrecting dragons, which will inevitably result in the end times. The protagonist turns out to be 'Dragonborn', a special being that has the ability to easily master the language of dragons, and to kill them permanently by absorbing their souls. This takes place in Skyrim, a territory experiencing a terrible civil war between the ruling empire, and proud Nords who consider Skyrim their's alone.

>JRPG
Alduin, an immensely powerful ancient dragon (that is also a demon, that is also a robot, that is also YOUR DAD), is resurrecting dragons (using the power of Gaia crystals, which you will be tracking most of the game), which will inevitably result in the end times (spanning a final battle encompassing 4 different final bosses, one of which comes out of fucking NO WHERE and had basically nothing to do with the rest of the story). The protagonist turns out to be 'Dragonborn', a special being that has the ability to easily master the language of dragons, and to kill them permanently by absorbing their souls (he grew up in a small village, and wanted from a young age to adventure with his tom-boy female best friend). There are also wise cracking talking cats, tons of boob jokes made by a busty chick in your party against the flat-chested girl in your party, and everyone in your party is like 16 years old or younger. This takes place in Skyrimia, a territory experiencing a terrible civil war between the ruling evil Church, and proud Nords who consider Skyrimia their's alone.

Attached: JRPG bad ending.jpg (500x379, 55K)

>a bunch of kids kill an evil god
Unironically one of my favorite JRPG tropes.

>tom-boy female best friend
JRPG > WRPG

is this into the abyss?

Will Japan ever make a RPG just half as good as Witcher?

>ancient evil shows up to the sequel of the WRPG as the end boss
>worst part of the game
>evil god resurrects and shows up to the sequel of the JPRG
>is in your party or a mentor

Attached: 1539928076015.jpg (836x820, 232K)

>a ragtag band go to face god near the end of the game
>God is withered, weak, old, and dying.
>God doesn't want to fight, he just wants you to prove you can take care of the world after he is gone
>his son is the real villain, he feels purposeless and without direction decides to destroy things.

>you kill the God with the power of friendship
>while crying like a bitch

Attached: 1555645959571.jpg (350x750, 82K)

JRPG
>A bunch of 15 years old twinks and DD tited girls save the world by slashing everything in their path
WRPG
>A balding, potbellied 40 something dude with attitude problems save the world by shooting everything on his path.

It wasn't the power of friendship, they defeat Giygas praying, it's totally different.

>Lucifer's bestie
Interesting way to spell boytoy.

Attached: f105172594764e9c1c81ca0a4372ae873854c628.jpg (562x800, 179K)

Witcher had some serious issues, but goddamn it was good. The attention to detail alone puts it above most other RPGs

Yeah mainly the combat being rather mediocre and such.
But the world is incredible.

You played the Blood and Wine DLC? The quest where Geralt gets a portrait painted you can choose not take it. You can then later find it on the wall in one of the brothels, that is attention to detail.

Literally Tales of Berseria lmao.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 108K)

that's not even close to the plot of skyrim
Alduin, who is you, is resurrecting other fragments of you, because he wants to avoid the collapse of reality, which is a dream.
The protagonist turns out to be 'Dragonborn', a fragment of the shattered god of time, much like the dragons.
This takes place in Skyrim, a territory experiencing a terrible civil war because the elves turned the god of man, who was also the primordial being responsible for creation, who was also you, who was also a giant robot, who was also a smaller gay robot who hated elves, into a hostile meme, and the empire is trying to stop the elves from making all of the nord's heads explode, but they don't know that.

i think that's it

No, havnt got round to it. I played it continuously between work shifts for 2 months and got the platinum, i was planning on taking a break before i do the DLC, but i kind of forgot until now. Maybe its time to get back into it. Aard sign best sign

>The antagonist is trying to delay the ancient evil at the expense of protagonists.
>Protagonist defeats the antagonists and then defeat the ancient evil.
>Why they didn't just defeat the ancient evil is never explained.

Attached: 1504046883953.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Not even the first DLC Hearts of Stone?
Man you are in for a treat, they are both much better than the base game.
Also introduces mutations that can change and make you completely OP, like the Aard sign freezing and instantly shattering enemies.
You should definitely get back into it as soon as you can.

this honestly, the last part felt so removed from the whole game
Why does it always have to be the world that's at stake? Worked well enough as a personal revenge story
Worst part is they have done it three games in a row now

>>collect 4 macguffins to stop the big bad from awakening ancient evil
But this is the most common jrpg plot of them all though?

Is Maid in Abyss any good?

>maid

Attached: 1557633110265.jpg (277x256, 75K)

What the flying fuck? Why did Todd hide this from me?

Nah, it's usually a quest to stop the bad from collecting macguffins but you fail and still beat them with the power of friendship anyway

It's... weird. There are genuine pedo jokes (so many references to kids wetting bed, talk about their penises, girl shoves a stick up a boy's butthole, the teachers punish them by undressing and tying them up etc etc).

But then it mostly follows a Ghibli like fairytale adventure formula but surprise, there's extreme violence at the end.

It's enjoyable considering 99% of modern anime is pure trash, I suppose?

bethesda is too stupid to integrate it into gameplay, it's all in the in-game books

> pedo
it's fiction lol

>JRPG
>There are only sorrowful endings that force you on having a sour aftertaste of nostalgia
>WRPG
>Ending gets you a comfy aftercredits where your accomplishments and mistakes are numbered and unless you forced it, there's no bad ending.

This is my biggest gripe. I want to defeat the evil and make everyone happy, unless I am playing a fucking asshole.

Attached: 1540623339047.jpg (1080x1080, 140K)

>Ghibli like fairytale adventure
user you are a fucking retard

>MTG
>The big bad collects 4 macguffins to trap all the heroes and steal their power
>the macguffins are turned against the big bad and he loses all his power, trapped in another dimension.

The old lore was pretty WRPG

What kind of games have you been playing, even final fantasy includes happy endings.

what's up with JRPGs and killing god? are nips the ultimate fedora cringelords?

>JRPG
>it's a little girl torture and toilet simulator with amazing cooking mechanics

It's called a meme user, very few jrpgs actually have you killing god, most of the time it's some crazy guy who wants to be one and you have to stop him.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold?

>JRPG
>you fuck a local bitch and they come along with you
>WRPG
>you fuck a local bitch and leave them to start some other civilization, only to be remembered by the bitch years later (in the sequel)

same reason the Church (or its equivalent) is ALWAYS evil in JRPG's

Attached: 8417DF8BAF367DFAD60A9608FC4552B0FFDC0BBC[1].jpg (1920x1080, 217K)

> it's ok to expose kids to extreme violence in a work of fiction but lewds are absolutely verboten
I didn't know MrWiz browsed Yea Forums

The story would have held up perfectly well if killing the grail in mementos made it so everyone ''opened their eyes'' so to speak. So they basically steal the hearts of a whole city. That's grand enough to end the game and not so absurd that it breaks the game's momentum. It was actually my first ever Persona game, i only tried it because i ran out of other games to play. Besides, we're forgetting the most important point: Futaba best girl{/spoiler]

Its great

Never said the violence was fine either. That whole part about trying to severe her broken arm with a dull rock while she's screaming and crying was fucked up.

Who the fuck is this shit pandered to?

Adult men with taste.

yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=CZS01XzwUQo

Ok, are you 100% SURE you don't mixed those two up? Because I can't remember a single WRPG from the last 20 years not named Bard's Tale where the main protag has any emotion outside brooding angst and, in Bioware's case, a desire out of nowhere to bone the nearest party companion.

That's more of a post 2007 thing, here is how it is.

>JRPG
>A bunch of european clothes line models kill a psuedo shogonate.
>WRPG
>Some dumb faggot accidentally an entire villains utopia project.

Attached: 1505615556019.png (1200x603, 877K)

EO fags
Author fucking loves those games

Regardless of Western of Japanese RPGs, i always get sad at the end. I think its because the play time is so long. I usually get a void of ''what now?'' at the end of most games, but RPGs are so much worse because theyre so long. I spent countless hours in my favourite final fantasy game, XIII, i was really bummed that it ended.

That game had some glaring issues, i agree, but goddamn the story line is probably the best ive ever seen, except MAYBE the whole fire cycle of the dark souls universe, and even then its the hopeless nature of it that i like so much. The idea that this time there is no happy ending, the cant stop it, the absolute most you can do is delay it very slightly

Berseria was actually really good for a Tales game. It's up there with Abyss and Vesperia IMO.

because that LOSER was going about it by THEMSELF, without the POWER of FRIENDSHIIP at their side, duh

Well the japanese have dabbled in christianity before and all they've seen is how much of a fucking prick "God" is and how he needs to be worshipped 24/7 or he'll annihilate you. It makes sense that western style churches are evil to them.

usually nobody really thinks they can win against the ancient evil and/or the antagonist unwittingly served as an important training dummy for the protagonists to become powerful enough to destroy the ancient evil
See: FFX where the party would have been utterly annihilated if they tried to take on Sin early because they just weren't strong enough yet

Found the cucked weeb

what is this? similar to corpse party? i loved that game

quick summary
>great music
>great artwork
>great shota/loli bait
>very edgy and has moments of disgusting violence and torture for cheap shock value which completely ruins it

Yeah its actually a fairly realistic representation of the church irl. If they could get away with it, they would 100% subjugate everyone under some bizarre rules with death being a punishment

user no, while gnostic sentiments do exist in specific JRPGs like Shin Megami Tensei, it should be noted that YHWH is specifically noted as not being God but rather being the Demiurge, a being who claims falsely to be God. pretty much all of the "gods" who turn out to be evil in JRPGs are along the same vein, merely almost omnipotent beings rather than truly omnipotent creator deities.

On both sides of the equation, Japan's been given shit by Christianity and its attempted spread, and they've persecuted Christians right back within their lands. It's kind of vitriol from both ends.

The true demon ending is shit though. All that work to just become Lucifers bitch and then die

Attached: Alien Shinto.png (1260x879, 303K)

based

It's the writers lashing out against authority as a concept. Japan's society is notoriously strict and conservative. They keep writing shit like this because that's hardly changed, so writers are still expressing their gripes over it through their work.

You don't even play videogames.

Yes, there's that whole "believe in yourself and try your hardest" thing that's hammered non-stop in JRPG's. And the antagonist is often a messiah like authority figure, if not a literal god.

Basically it's mostly aimed at teens with low self-esteem.

Damn that JRPG sounds kick ass.

Has there ever been a WRPG where it's sequel is a JRPG?

>JRPG
>you don’t kill God
>you find out God was the one who killed you all along
>he then proceeds to pop a cap in your ass again

Attached: BF96136D-CDEB-4826-9ACD-71A82D9DD4C5.jpg (748x1874, 176K)

>Jrpg
>You play as an angsty teen playing a videogame who learns who chill out while dealing with some major glitches and game bugs.

Attached: 1509756871724.jpg (1920x1080, 133K)

I feel like jrpgs stick to this trope even harder

>JRPG
>you don't kill God
>you restore God's faith in humanity
>by killing the Pope
>and then killing God's evil son (who is also your brother-in-law)
>God proceeds to let you bang his daughters

Wizardry, I guess? Japs like the games so much they acquired the rights and made dozens of their own.

What game?

Attached: Please Respond.jpg (604x604, 93K)

Almost every game and VN out of Japan has a better story than the Witcher

what game?

Valkyria Chronicles

Why do people not realize that the "God" that they often kill in JRPGs is never the all powerful one but is always some pretender or is just some low level god tier being in a polytheistic religion?

.hack//g.u.
I preferred the main character when he was an insufferable faggot in volume 1.

Attached: _hack__G_U_ Last Recode_20171104114521.jpg (1920x1080, 226K)

Based KinoTensei fan.

Because they can't complain about it if it doesn't fit their narrative

>maid in abyss
>maid

Attached: 921872873.png (850x1200, 938K)

Baldur's Gate 1

Xenoblade 2

Attached: smug malos.gif (480x270, 1.2M)

>ruins it
How so?
It's a story about two ten year olds falling down a murderous hole
Do you really expect them not being subjected to some horrible shit on the way down?

>JRPG
>Weak attempts at humor stifle moments where the story is slower
>WRPG
>Remains serious throughout

Attached: 1526211490641.png (888x1300, 564K)

>Loli/ahora bait
I'm honestly surprised about that part, how did they get away considering there are theater releases now?

Fuck Erdrick, Werdna for Smash confirmed

Attached: 1531438254368.jpg (696x486, 69K)

Mass Effect 2 feels very JRPG-ish.

This smug anti-christ should have been the main Blade.

Attached: Xenoblade 2 Malos see you later.webm (747x420, 726K)

Mark is a very good boy, yes. Why do you ask?

Attached: Maids.jpg (337x201, 16K)

It started as a web manga
It got popular enough to get published
Published manga got popular enough to get an anime made
Anime got popular enough to get a recap movie for theater release and a sequel movie
Nobody in Japan cares about the main characters being kids

Malos DLC when?

Because Todd wants to distance himself from Kirkbride.

>WRPG
But that's also JRPGs, although nowadays they subvert it all the time.

You can't just post that and not give the source user

this just makes bethesda look like even bigger hacks than they already are.

Its pretty much The Inferno but Dante and Virgil are a loli and a robo shota.

why does this sound so accurate?

only christians have this notion of an omnipotent creator

>VN
He said RPG, user.

Christians? I think you meant abrahamic religions as a whole.

you have ten second to tell me how a RPG should start and end without resorting to WRPG/JRPG logic.

Attached: 1555175522456.png (478x456, 407K)

Probably people who liked Lain.

Of which I have met 1 IRL, and she was a fat girl.

>your idyllic home village gets burned by the big bad

>JRPG
Grind levels for hours
>WRPG
Buy max lvl boost

It has a theme that sort of reminds me of STALKER, with the setting of Etrian Odyssey. Pretty cool if you like mystery/adventure and occasional horror. Good art, good music, good characters and very interesting world building, I recommend it. I feel like it would adapt pretty well to a video game

It's Maiden Abyss

>Not watching 127 Hours

I bet you don't even drink piss

>the true evil of the story was inside you all along

>Starts
With two newbie thugs doing dirty work for a criminal group
>Ends
With an obligatory 2-on-2 shirtless brawl atop a tall-ass building

Gettin' tired of this fantasy/space opera shit (Doesn't mean it's bad, though), so what about a Yakuza-like RPG in a big city where battles have action bars to determine who moves. Battles get fast-paced real quick since foes don't stop while you're selecting attacks or items.

>game starts when you're traveling on a merchant caravan/something similar
>you get off at the starting town
>no quests at all with lots of options for professions
>no experience system, you gain skill correlating to positive and negative experiences based on the specific activity
>the land always has warfare so you can enlist as a soldier that gains skill and rank with time
>everything is permadeath and dangerous encounters are roguelike, no inventory apart from what you can physically carry in weight and dimensions
>game ends when you want it to end
>soft endings are becoming a master artisan, high ranking officer, wealthy lord, master of arcane arts, etc
only problem is that this game would require a huge team to develop, so it would cost a lot for a single player game

>JRPG
>Main Protagonist acts like a spoiled 5 year old for half the game
>Turns out its because hes a 5 year old clone that was created so the original could joint the Big Bad in his plan

>JRPG
>unite humanity with your dick and then lead their armies in a desperate war against a giant tentacle-rapist squirrel
>WRPG
>fight a bunch of evil green/undead guys with the help of some gay elves and bearded midgets

You're a nobody adventurer looking to make fame/fortune through your sense of "goodwill".
Every couple of dungeons/missions might subtly hint at some major big bad, but could otherwise be missed if the player is too much of a brainlet to piece shit together or just doesn't care enough to pursue any further.
Endings could vary from joining big bad and fucking shit up, the whole countryside being engulfed in war/death/etc. with you as being one of the many victims, retiring to another land with your riches and just not giving a fuck, or being a big hero.

You're wrong and I'm guessing your assuming politics, which is not what I meant at all by "conservative". Japan is notoriously resistant to any kind of change at all. It has its advantages, but also its disadvantages. People are fucking unhappy over there, so much that their birth rate is in the toilet and their suicide rates are staggeringly high for a first world society. No society is perfect, user.

>their birth rate is in the toilet and their suicide rates are staggeringly high for a first world society.
Try actually looking at statistics instead of reading blatant propaganda.

Good taste

in 3 it was fine because everything led up to it and you knew Nyx was the big bad for a while, 4 it's a little more forgivable because you have some questions unanswered

This is so accurate it hurts.

>JRPG
>Games for children
>WRPG
>Games for manchildren

Like Recettear but only with full 3d graphics and a bit more fluff.