It still hasn't been topped 18 years later lmoa

it still hasn't been topped 18 years later lmoa

Attached: Baldur's_Gate_II_-_Shadows_of_Amn_Coverart.png (220x287, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278
twitter.com/DerWaffleMous/status/1128972414862405633
youtu.be/Zbu4fFgGqZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

back when CRPGs still had SOUL

Based

That's because the thing that made BG2 amazing wasn't the combat, contrary to what these modern cRPG devs think.

RtwP combat is an atrocious half-way point between two completely opposite design philosophies. Every single RtwP game boils down to "make my party strong ASAP so I don't have to micro-manage any fights and can just let them auto attack everything to death", and before you reach that point you will likely be pausing the game every 0.5 seconds trying to micro manage things in a haphazard way and much inferior to actual turn based systems.

BG2 was a good game /despite/ its combat system. BG2's setting, writing, characters, art, voice acting and high amount of content are 99% of the reason why the game is good.

Kingmaker's the closest we've come to something that's comparable to BG2. BG2's still probably the champ when it comes to total overall polish on a massive fucking amount of content, but Kingmaker's got more interesting character development/builds and combat (Barring wizard duels, but the flipside is the non-wizards actually get cool shit too).

Attached: 1556508143120.png (1793x978, 842K)

lol no

Pathfinder rules are complete garbage and Kingmaker's writing is worse than even PoE trash. There is nothing good about Kingmaker's combat system, it isn't even as good as PoE.

>BG has bad combat

lmoa no. BG combat is at worst still decent. And it's loads better than other CRPGs like Fallout

It was much better than the buff fest in the beginning of every encounter in PoE. Also it wasn't nearly as clusterfucky.

My wife Valerie IS cute! She IS cute! (She is! She is!)

Attached: Valerie.jpg (702x700, 123K)

She's alright. She would've been my pick for romance if the idea of fucking the twink orc didn't crack me up so much, so instead she's relegated to valuable member of the party.

I love her!

Attached: Pretty Valerie.jpg (719x720, 239K)

unironically too.

You prefer her without the scar, eh?

Valerie isn't JUST alright! She IS the BEST!
(That's right! That's right!)

I do NOT play I have NEVER reached her scar! I will SURPASS Old Sycamore IN Enhanced Edition!

Attached: Cute Valerie.jpg (1000x760, 159K)

Valerie IS the BEST! She surpasses AND withstands ALL dermis afflictions!

What!

Who ARE you! Another Valerie user!

get a room, fags.

>RtwP combat is an atrocious half-way point between two completely opposite design philosophies. Every single RtwP game boils down to "make my party strong ASAP so I don't have to micro-manage any fights and can just let them auto attack everything to death", and before you reach that point you will likely be pausing the game every 0.5 seconds trying to micro manage things in a haphazard way and much inferior to actual turn based systems.
Naeh

Fuck BG2, Pathfinder is where it's at now, and it actually has choices that affect the game for once!

Attached: pathfinder.jpg (474x266, 21K)

Valerie IS the best BUT Jaheira IS a good wife!

Attached: Jaheira.png (210x330, 123K)

>OGL

Attached: v documentary.png (569x333, 303K)

For me the combat is the thing I like the most. Or I should rather say the battles - as in the situations, setups and specific enemies and groups and the various ways to approach them. I honestly don't think the writing is all that amazing.

You do NOT get to trash talk about Jaheira's game!
Valerie may be MY wife but Jaheira is fine TOO!

Attached: jaheira.jpg (450x650, 85K)

What!

There CANNOT be two wifes!

Attached: latest[1].jpg (300x470, 21K)

LITERALLY JOAN OF ARC WTH

Annah IS a good wife!

Attached: Annah.png (272x441, 199K)

S-rank classes
>Archer
>Berserker
>Sorceror
>Ranger/Cleric
>Mage (of Conjurer variety)
>Kensage

Valerie is COOL like THAT! Her short hair IS symbolic of her PURITY!
(She is! She is!)

Attached: valerie_by_sabalmirss_dd1p93a-fullview.jpg (600x800, 99K)

I agree! (I do! I do!)

Joan of Arc IS crispy Valerie!

ALL my wives work out amongst THEMSELVES!
WE have a schedule that works out FINE for US!

>9 INT
Dude, your wife's a dumbass.

Attached: 1414766894996.jpg (960x1292, 187K)

Cavalier/Inquisitor > Archer
Kensief > most, except Kensage

It IS a CUTE part of her! Give me dumb wife!

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

6. warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278

Attached: Beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

That IS what makes her CUTE! (Cuuuuuute!)

BG2 was presented as classic fantasy adventure and that's exactly what it delivered. No subversions, no 'clever' author monologues, no 'le funny irony', no politics, just good old adventure in the world of +1 swords, orcs, dragons and evil wizards.
Shame you can't romance Imoen tho.

there's a mod for that

based beamniggers poster
they deserve forever hate for what they've done to great games, luckily I played BG2 before their filthy hands got a grasp over it

Explain how Archer and Berserker are good.
Also, which Paladin variety is the best - classic, Inquisitor or Chevalier?

Cavalier loses nothing

Inquisitor dispel and true sight are free and incredibly powerful. The penalty is negligible

>the way she starts coming onto you when Khalid's body is still warm

That IS the BEST part! She IS my mommy THEN my wife! Give me mommy Jaheira!

berserk makes you immune to almost all status spells

I agree! (I do! I do!)

There's plenty of stuff like that, it's just minor. There's the bum whom you can complain about cliches to and there's Irenicus mocking you for expecting a villain exposition.

Attached: 1326487211607.png (1024x768, 930K)

Well, there's a difference between villian mocking you and every fucking NPC being basically a post-ironic Tumblr-R*ddit lovechild.

That's... a bit extreme.

to be fair this is from an old-ass version a decade-old

There's a new mod that's a lot less fetishy (as far as one of this nature can be)

You mean an entirely new mod, or just an updated verision?
Also
this mod is a decade old jesus christ I feel old

Good fucking god mod makers are terrible writers.

new mod, same concept

mhmm yeah no this is so wrong

What's the name?

hot

RTwP is complete trash, but almost every RPG before that was turn-based so it seemed revolutionary back then.

Imoen Romance mod

and the fact you could customize characters and build your own group even in the single player mode. great shit.

I haven't played any RPG's in D&D setting which one should I start with?

>Keldorn with this party of evil shits
What happens next? she transforms into a Slayer or murders you?

Don't. Games are fucking old, and it'll be painful trying to power through bad gameplay and design. People who enjoy them are nostalgic and played them right after the release or a few years after it.

after playing DivOS2 RtwP is really shitty. Pathfinder is good enough to keep me playing regardless, but I can't help but wonder how much better it would have been if it was turned based like the FUCKING GAME IT'S BASED on and had less encounters to balance out the longer battle times.

yeah nah, I never played PS:T despite having played all of the other IE games and only did so a year or two ago. It was equal to, or better than, BG2.

You're full of shit.

Pillars of eternity is easy to get into, but is somewhat bland
Pathfinder is a bit more modern than DnD and baldur's gate but the system is more complex so i wouldn't advise as a first timer
Baldur's gate is great but will take getting used to the graphics and rtwp with no slow mode during combat

Play Pathfinder Kingmaker! Romance Valerie!

Considering quality of the mod, probably nothing interesting actually happens.

God I want her to peg me

Alright boys I'm rolling a new character. What should he be?

t. Someone who always rolls a thief because all other thieves are shit

Attached: 1556445010270.jpg (960x960, 46K)

Fighter/cleric

Berserker for extremely interactive and deep gameplay.

I'm a sucker for the Druid theme myself. Even if it's not that great.

Baldur's Gate easily.
>Planescape Torment is too wordy
>Icewind Dale is for those who enjoy the dungeon crawling element
>BG2 is the sequel
>Pathfinder:Kingmaker is eh.

Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 are also acceptable alternatives. I personally really enjoy NWN2 actually, it's a pity its not on steam.

pillars is absolute garbage written I assume by a teenager and with awful repetitive combat

>lmoa
>>>/reddit/

Swashbuckler IS good!

Why had Infinity Engine such incredible voice acting? Its fucking insane how good the voices in PS:T are. For me, Monty and Xzar from BG1 are the most memorable NPCs in CRP history ever, even though they dont talk with you at all in the game.

Attached: Screenshot (302).png (224x262, 115K)

Jaheira's accent IS cute!

Gee i replaced those two as soon as i could

NWN 2 is classic Obsidian game. Great premise and potential, interesting characters, but gameplay is absolute dogshit, bugs everywhere and 2\3 of content is cut and unfinished because devs are too retarded to make the game in time.

Elanee IS a good wife! She IS mommy THEN she IS wife!

>Bioware game
>thread is full of absolute faggots waifushitters

Did old Bioware always have waifufag shitters or did this only happen after Mass Effect and leak retroactively into older Bioware games?

Attached: 1525971836446.png (539x518, 539K)

>Pillars of eternity is easy to get into, but is somewhat bland
I'm still fucking baffled how they managed to make PoE so boring and bland. It must've been a conscious effort to make the game as dull and bland as possible. Or maybe Obsidian really can't make an interesting story in their own world, and the top of their ability is taking existing setting and using it.

>Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure

I think it's just one autist shitposting

Jaheira A mommy!

Well, yes, but that's no fun.

The NWN campaign was complete garbage, I think NWN 2 was overall a better game. That being said the best thing that came out of those games were the custom rp servers.

>feegyoor

>NWN 2 is classic Obsidian game
Yeah and as such it's utter shit. Nwn1 is better in every way.

>JRPG-inspired storyshit Biosludge pseudo-RPGs
The fuck did people see in these garbage games?

Wife!

I don't know, they seem to think filling the game with so much text gets them somewhere. It's like every npc oozes words from every pore. And don't get me fucking started on poe 2, where they made up a fictitious anaua culture and had every npc greet you with their made up words, and insert these random made up words in every sentence they spout. All with terrible voice overs..
I hate how you have like 5 different options in every dialogue, but they make absolutely no difference. I'd rather not have any choices than actually having me read each alternative and then whatever blob of text the npc said just to advance.

Anyway, I mainly play poe for the combat.

Attached: 8071038dd1ad6bb7394041bb25866c86.png (1000x1000, 282K)

Out of any video game, the first Dragon Quest game comes the closest to the BECMI D&D experience.

>JRPG inspired
tfw your perfect troll bait shitpost has one crucial flaw

>____ __'_ __ _____!

Attached: 1557909433939.jpg (1276x1920, 1.28M)

>Dungeon Meshi style

Attached: 1500123280318.png (593x866, 310K)

Maggy and hero 4 are way too sexy.

>Viconia is the only original female to avoid the weird braid fetish the portrait artists had in BG2

Attached: 1280402357429.png (300x300, 59K)

Isn't Hexxat a nigger vampire?

I have braid fetish!

Apparently Ruiko Kui drew her own custom portrait, but since it didn't meshi with the rest of the artstyle, she redrew everyone else as well

Attached: 1557909497769.jpg (1280x1905, 973K)

twitter.com/DerWaffleMous/status/1128972414862405633

+1 sword? What low level version did you play

>Imoen before

>Imone after

Kill all that would harm the imouto

ya, there's 2

>beamdog npcs

DUERGAR'D

I wonder what ttrpg is the most popular over in Japan? Is it Sword World or did 5e take it over?

And who's the second one?

When will we get another high-level party rpg with memorable companions?

I don't really know. I know though that back in the days the japanese prefered d6 based games. They also have a few systems of their own (that tend to involve cards for some reason).

In the case of Dungeon Meshi, it's based on the Wizardry game series though (Laius is a lord, Marcille is a wizard who has dipped a bit onto priest, Farlyn is a bishop, Senshi is a fighter, Chilchack is a thief, the stupid kot is a ninja)

Attached: 1529228694067.jpg (2260x1600, 1.88M)

spoilers

2 is the white woman who is enslaved by the nigger vampire, lures your party into her tomb, and is then later consumed by her (i'm serious)

Based Meshi author

Attached: 1487829656014.jpg (4128x2322, 2.15M)

P:T >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BG2 > BG > IWD
Might not be a fair compassion being that you can put the game amount of ">"s between P:T and literally any other game

Never. There's no studio interested in making such games, there's no audience interested in building a party, optimising equipment and all that shit. Also it isn't trendy making something classic, you need ot deconstruct and subvert, and have a lot of politics in it.

That's kind of lame. Incredibly lame.

>literally gives her virginity to a stranger while she's in your party and you're trying to court her just to ruin herself

thanks owlcat games

It'll take a long time. The devs have shown that they really don't "get" the smaller elements of BG styles gaming that made the system "tick". Instead they overdesign and add too many functionalities to each party member, which makes the gameplay a chore. In these sorts of games, you should only have to manage positioning and the caster's spell casting. Spells should also be a fairly precious resource rather than something you spam on opponents. Current gen makes everything too fiddly, which makes it unfun (why do I have to pause to press a button to maximize my fighter's damage? Can't the ability just be a passive boost to damage?!).

Then there's the whole affair of having "soul" which isn't easy either. For instance, Pillars of eternity just tries too hard but comes off as shallow and pretentious as a result.

The Shadowrun series is probably the closest we've gotten off late, though they were more episodic affairs.

Attached: 1468517008658.png (717x562, 520K)

Pathfinder Kingmaker IS memorable! Valerie IS memorable! I will PLAY it soon!

Does anyone know which grain filter she used on the BG2 ones? I want my Kivan portrait MC to match the other BG2 ones.

Stop it. Get some help.

Only Valerie, MY wife, can help ME!
(That's true! That's true!)

Holy shit the braids. It's like I'm really at Lilith Fair '94.

youtu.be/Zbu4fFgGqZA

What!

What edition of D&D do you think she likes best?

Imoen is the reason it may be hard to play as evil character. You can ignore random strangers in your partygetting angry, but making your sister sad is a line you don't cross. Especially considering that she sticks with you no matter what you do, because you're her family.

Is there an installer somewhere or do you have to replace them manually?

Meshi thread.

Attached: harJYm4.png (876x567, 261K)

Fuck off and Neeshka is better waifu

What are your favorite BG1 companions? I like going full HIGH DEX BOW MODE with Kivan, Coran, Skie, and Viconia

It's been awhile but replacing portraits should be as simple as putting them in a folder of your install directory

Someone in the comments of the twitter thread here created a google drive with all the images you need.

Attached: 1531667538134.png (1024x956, 419K)

based twitter tranny

Neeshka is NOT a wife! I checked!

>tfw if you pick a tiefling PC some guy will think you and Neeshka are a couple, with her denying it like a tsundere

Kingmaker's difficulty levels are so infuriating, I've already ragequiited a bunch of time, might get tired of it for good, of only there was another crpg to play
My recent nemesis are all the wisps in Candlemere island. There are 3-4 of them in each encounter, they open up by ambushing and throeing a lighting spell for 30 damage, each. Which can well be an instant party wipe.
I've already figured out an strategy, but I need to buff tons, meaning I also need to rest before each battle. It's infuriating, having to spend so much time buffing and resting just to fight mooks. And I've even already set it to easy, I think it's at "weaker monsters"
The difficulty level is completely schizophrenic, I feel like I constantly wander into areas I'm 5 levels below, but there's no indication, or logical progression on the map.

I want an elf.

Attached: 1546839276046.gif (600x600, 1.06M)

You're getting a full immersive experience of having a retarded GM.

You CAN play on Story mode user! I play on Challenging!

torments gameplay is shit though, youre only scoring it like that because of its story

Attached: 1401524464339.jpg (813x900, 182K)

You can afford good voice acting when characters only have a few lines.

The ONLY companion I cannot do without IS Jaheira, MY wife!
Everyone else IS optional!

protection from energy communal and resist energy communal last forever iirc

Wandering into parts where you are underleveled is fun. Makes it feel like a proper adventure. Sometimes you just have to turn around and do it another day.

What I don't like about the difficulty is how the AC and resistance values just went off the charts when you slightly increased the difficulty (and in all honesty, just making things tougher isn't very fun. I'd rather that increased difficulty would result in monsters getting new feats and spells instead)

that's how good the role playing, setting, and story are, though. The combat is absolute dogshit.

Kingmaker is legitimately good, although it reminds me more of BG1 than BG2.

I want Khalid AND Jaheira AND Imoen! Khalid IS funny! Jaheira IS my wife! Imoen IS my sister!

Kagain, Kivan, Safana, Baeloth

Attached: elves.png (545x425, 208K)

Stop FUCKING talking! like that! you annoying IDIOT!

Who IS that cute!

Kingmaker IS good! Because it HAS Valerie! (It is! It is!)

No!

Resist energy, the one that gives you damage reduction, lasts 10 minutes. I don't think I have mass protection from energy yet, I'm level 6. I've got the single version, which I put on Valeria, send her up ahead and have her eat 3 bolts to the face, if there's a 4th, the spell already faded

Marcille is not for lewd!

Ruiko has good taste.

Now that I'm looking through some of the classic RPGs, I'm surprised Baldur's Gate is the only one I can see with a JPN translation. Torment, Arcanum and even the more modern crpgs like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny don't have Japanese translations.

They might not hold up as well as Baldur's Gate but there's still some decent stuff buried in them.

Cat though? A cat is fine.

Dungeong cooking rpg never ever...

Attached: 1473394057592.gif (600x600, 1.79M)

>wanna try the small races because i never started as a dwarf/halfing/gnome ever
>they all have limited classes
>already played fighter and thief with other characters in the past
>it all boil down to Cleric
which race is the most suited for Cleric and which religion is considered fun?

small race? dwarves. i'd say talos is the most fun, playing evil is hardly viable tho and the game designers were shit at accommodating it. lathander has the best uniques.

Reminder CG Elf FM is still the strongest and chaddest class in the game
Why haven’t you taken the elfpill yet?

>which race is the most suited for Cleric
Dwarf for pure or fighter/cleric, the other 2 have a -1 to wis penalty though gnomes are good for cleric/mage
>which religion is considered fun?
The one available in game don't seem fun, lathander or helm seems to give the best abilities.
desu I find pure cleric extremely boring to play

Waifuretards have always clung to their games like a tumor.

not anthem lmao

RTWP is an amazing system though.