Legitimate, true heroism is underrated in video games...

Legitimate, true heroism is underrated in video games. Mario and the like isn't fleshed out enough to really appreciate while it feels like most everything AAA these days needs to be an anti hero or villain treated as a hero.

The biggest example of a recent hero, despite the game being 6 years old now is still Wonder Red, someone that lifts others up around him, that cares about helping in big and small ways, as a teacher and leading the global defense that is the Wonderful 100. What the fuck happened to teaching these values?

Another character that represents this at the height of their writing is Mega Man X, but his arc gets mangled horribly from game to game.

Dunno, just an underappreciated value in games I think.

Attached: Wonder-Red.png (849x560, 253K)

No one huh?

Sorry should have used a twitter screencap

I guess so

Too bad for you, OP, games all have to be edgy and have a bunch of morally shitty antihero protagonists who do terrible things to their enemies, if they're not outright bad guys themselves, all to appeal to immature gamers.

It's a real damn shame too.

It seriously is a bummer at times.

Spider Man PS4 at least did it well, but it’s fucking Spider Man too. That’s him to a T.

W101 was amazing in every regard

W101 lore is that in the future humanity becomes a tyrannical galactic empire with the W100 mask representing genocide and enslavement though, which is what prompts GETHJERK to go back to the past to exterminate humans before they expand though space.

that's why I never understood people complaining about zelda being always the same shit about the knight saving the princess

who still does this type of traditional story besides zelda? everything has to be some kind of retarded morally relative antihero story so zelda actually becomes unique in comparison

And Wonder Red comes to the conclusion that preventing that future is on himself and those around him to pass the values of heroism on, to children and to Luka, and to ensure that when Luka grows up, he carries that torch and those values to the generations after.

But W101 doesn't have multiversal time travel, GETHJERK bringing W100 mask technology back to the past is what gave humans that tech and allows them to conquer the galaxy.

And sure Red himself is great, but one of the core mechanics of the game is a system where W100 can conscript anybody they find to fight for them.

It ultimately comes down to if you think that the W101 with Luka can break the cycle, or if it’s a doomed time loop.

Because we sure as shit ain’t getting that sequel where they fight the Greater Galactic Coalition

you have to try hard to sell that nowadays
that doesn't mean you should stop making it anyway

Attached: 1553671288439.png (1278x1388, 2.86M)

>hero
>sub-manlet
>not even three heads tall
OH NO NO NO NO
big marring is gonna step on this nigga

Attached: 1558639084501.png (419x249, 6K)

X is a cool guy, just mourn the fact his series was hijacked by Zero.
Sure he's also pretty heroic but not to the degree as X.

Wonder Red is my favorite protagonist in fiction, period. He's not a deeply flawed character, but rather a character who is "realistically perfect". He's as great of a guy as you could possibly imagine somebody could be without being unbelievably flawless. The game does such a good job of fleshing him out as a character and giving him every reason to do what he does. There's subtlety to him in several character moments throughout the story that don't spell out everything for you, and you really don't see that in games often. Revelations made partway through the game completely recontextualize his actions earlier on. Red is a man devoted to helping people no matter what, and I've never seen that kind of character portrayed so well before.

It's crazy that Kamiya wrote the story to this game, when previously he'd only ever written simple, fun, saccharine stories (and Bayonetta 1, which is a confusing mess story-wise from every angle until 2 handed the writing role to Bingo Morihashi who put everything in order).

Attached: 1542181146440.jpg (800x534, 44K)

>"Our quest for justice will last far longer than today!"
Does anyone really think Red would be the kind of hero to just rest on his laurels if the W101 were to start straying from the code? He's a strictly by the books hero, and doesn't stand for it at any other point.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. He’s the best man he can be with his own reasons and motivations for doing so. He took the exact right lessons from his father and internalized the lessons that came from that incident in a healthy and positive way.

And he’s still a total goof at times. His penchant for titles and long names is adorable and he has the utmost respect for those around him, despite being the leader. Just...fuck.

I honestly loved Wonder Red, is script was superb and his voice actor nailed it every scene.

Kamiya is always great with those kind of characters. Just look at Joe from VJ.

Joe is a great character but he's definitely more of a lovable goof than anything else. Red has dorky traits that make him endearing, but his character goes a lot further than that. That's before you take into account how well-written Blue, Vorkken, Immorta, & Nelson are, plus every major GEATHJERK leader, Chewgi and Green/Pink are standout personalities that get one or two good character moments apiece. I wish that we got a little more from Yellow, White, Black, and Alice though, and maybe a little more from Green since while he gets a lot of play he's given way less serious moments than anybody close to his screentimes; even Pink gets a couple brief moments of not being comedy relief.

Bump

>go into game expecting generic sentai shit
>it's actually well written to the point I can't think of any other vidya that tackled themes of revenge in a better manner
I'm not trolling or being superfluous, either I haven't played as much vidya as I think I have or W101's story is more underrated than it's existence and it really fucks with me.

Attached: 1483891803809.jpg (720x720, 32K)

Attached: 1381049489969.png (500x329, 96K)

Do I actually have to grab a fucking Wii U for this goddamn game? How does emulation even work?

Attached: 1383011069059.png (860x1100, 617K)

Nah you're pretty spot on, the game overall is underrated and deserves to be on more radars and ported to Switch to be saved from complete irrelevancy, but it's rare for people to go in-depth about the story, instead focusing on the action, style, and music - all of which are fantastic, but the story is on equal ground. It plays so well into that cheesy saturday morning feeling with superheroes and bombastic villains, but it takes things so much deeper with everyone's motivations, histories, etc. Truly top notch design.

Attached: cantbelievethisshit.png (480x360, 165K)

Bayo 1 is some genuine galaxy brain tier shit when you read up on it. Kamiya definitely thought about it a lot when they were making it. I agree W101 is better though, it's the best story in any action game.

Alice's mystery us part of her allure, she doesn't need to be fleshed out any further I think.

I feel like the side characters outside of Blue are too undercooked for my taste.
Green and Pink are used for comic relief but really undercharacterized.
Yellow, Black and Silver are just ... there.

Pink has shit. It just isn’t on the surface at all. The reason she’s so protective of Luka for example is because he reminds her of her kid brother that died in a GETHJERK attack.

They use her for too many obnoxious jokes though.

Can't argue with that. The show did seem primarily focused on Red and Luka though, with Blue taking a high secondary role along with Vorkken.
I do wish the other colors were a bit more fleshed out, but I can forgive it since the story never really has them in its focus, they're mere asides that just add a few bits of extra dialogue while Red, Luka, and sometimes Blue and Vorkken push things along.