Why is Linux gaming so underappreciated by the masses?

All of my gaming takes place on Arch Linux and I don't have any issues.

youtube.com/channel/UCbg2ZEsvNhmcBQucpSc5fqg/videos

Why is Linux so underappreciated by the masses?

Attached: 874883.png (1000x668, 972K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TYmSoEhJL18?t=14
linux.com/blog/learn/intro-to-linux/2018/1/top-3-linux-distributions-just-work
techlog360.com/linux-boot-shutdown-faster-than-windows/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Blender-2.80-GPU-Requirements
superuser.com/questions/871353/http-download-speed-difference-in-windows-7-vs-linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's all in WINE or what?

>I don't have any issues
winetricks fixes pretty much everything, and there's lutris, proton, playonlinux for the smol brains

>Three games
Wow! You totally convinced me!

cause why bother

Free, no spyware, no automatic updates when you can't control them, extremely customizable, huge community devoted to providing support, better support for older games, huge library of free software/open source alternatives to worse proprietary software all included in a devoted package system, better security. The list could go on.

You have 6 500 native games and more than 5 000 games via Proton.

I think that's good enough because not many persons play more than 50 games per year.

still, why bother?

why misuse her for an unrelated advertisement :/

youtu.be/TYmSoEhJL18?t=14

a product is only free if your time is worthless

i dont have time to spend hours customizing something just to work.

Windows rot (the process by which a Windows machine becomes progressively slower the longer you use it and the more software you install on it)

PoC Exploit For Unpatched Windows 10 Zero-Day Flaw Published Online

Microsoft Admits Updates Are Freezing Windows 10 Computers -- Again

Etc.

This is the same logic used by the people trying to shill the GOG store:

>I want to play X
>X isn't available. But look, there is W, Y and Z
>But I want to play X
>No! Play W, Y and Z.
>But those aren't even on the same ge-
>PLAY W, Y AND Z. END OF THE DISCUSSION

still still, why the, pardon my language, heck bother

could it really be? the voice of reason?

That's also not really an reason for Windows. In many situations I loose a lot of time by using Windows. And you can pick a Linux distro that just works:

linux.com/blog/learn/intro-to-linux/2018/1/top-3-linux-distributions-just-work

maybe?

i am sober for once.

To be fair, you need a three digit IQ to use linux.

in few situations i loose time by using windows, since i mostly play games and do CADD CAM work, having something that works with industrial programs right out of their box and works with varying hardware right out of the box is essential. I havent had a chance to work with linux and make use of a tesla p100 in tri sli while doing cadd renders. so i dont know how well that would work out, but my current setup is flawless for what i do on an enterprise level.

>implying that's a bad thing
the masses are retarded, we don't need to dumb down Linux for them

Hello. This is my GNU/Linux dickstop.

Attached: 1557272027141.png (2560x1080, 1.03M)

>try Linux for the first time a few weeks ago
>one click to install Steam
>open Steam, enable Steam Play for all games
>download Windows-only game
>it literally Just Works™

According to ProtonDB, Alan Wake has some minor graphical issues on Linux, but it's still very playable. I didn't notice any graphics problems because I didn't actually play through it; I already beat the game 9000 times and I just wanted to try launching it because I knew it had no official Linux support.

Anyway, there are multiple answers to OP's question:
• Average consumers buy computers that come with Windows pre-installed. They don't want to install an operating system because they don't know how and they think it's hard. (It's really not hard, but do you seriously expect a normie to even understand what a partition is?)
• Average consumers expect games to work "out of the box" without messing with settings or third-party software. Steam has pretty much made this happen for a lot of Windows games on Linux, by making all of the "hard" stuff invisible, but for non-Steam games, users will still need to install WINE or Lutris or whatever the fuck. And even then, some games still won't work properly, or at all.
• Linux is pretty user-friendly these days, but — if we're being completely honest — it's still not as user-friendly as Windows. Some distros like Ubuntu might be an exception, but when I tried Ubuntu, it just pissed me off because its default desktop environment has even fewer customization options than Windows. Desktop icons were also completely borked last time I used Ubuntu 19.04, but maybe that's fixed now.

Attached: alan_wake_ubuntu.png (1920x1080, 1.23M)

Few situations? You already lose time during boot and shutdown because you use Windows:

techlog360.com/linux-boot-shutdown-faster-than-windows/

Windows isn't significantly faster during the installation of a game so you don't really save time generally.

And Linux is better compatible with varying hardware:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Blender-2.80-GPU-Requirements

So it seems as if you are seriously misinformed.

Generally agree with your points from a normalfag point of view, yet I still think they aren't really correct.
>Installing OS, partitioning
All the Linux installers I tried were very straightforward and had an option to automatically create partitions.
>Average consumers expect games to work "out of the box" without messing with settings or third-party software.
Especially when I think about recent console ports you often have people spending hours trying to fix their games with tweaks, mods and whatever.

I think it's mostly people afraid to try something new/different, but I also don't really care to convince people. I'm fine with my system and I can get out being the IT support for friends and family by saying I don't know about Windows problems, because I use Linux.

Attached: 1556663801.png (810x488, 65K)

>All the Linux installers I tried were very straightforward and had an option to automatically create partitions.
This is true.

But when I installed Ubuntu for the first time, I wanted to dual boot with my existing Windows 7 installation. I made a bootable USB flash drive, popped that fucker in, and started up my PC... and it didn't recognize my Windows 7 installation. Therefore it did not give me the nice automatic "install alongside Windows" option.

I started researching the problem, and found a LOT of different solutions, none of which were correct. It took me a while to find out the real problem: Apparently my Windows 7 installation wasn't set up to boot in UEFI mode (a feature which I still don't fully understand), and presumably was using Legacy BIOS instead. To get the Ubuntu installer to recognize my Windows installation, I had to boot the bootable USB installer in non-UEFI mode as well, which was not the default option.

The average consumer absolutely would have given up before figuring that out.

>arch
1 (one) yike

linux boots faster than 4 seconds?
not like it actually matters because this computer is on 24/7.
>blender
stop, your embarrassing yourself.

nice inconsistent settings faggot

Attached: watch?v=TYmSoEhJL18 - 00.02.10.300.png (1920x1080, 2.33M)

Most people boot (and shutdown) their computer. So what you say here is not the standard.

The download time of a game is the most time consuming step in a game installation these days.

And that's going to go faster if you use Linux:
superuser.com/questions/871353/http-download-speed-difference-in-windows-7-vs-linux

It's obvious that you only lose time by using Windows (in general)