Ratchet and Clank

Where did it go wrong?

Attached: Ratchet and Clank logo.png (2367x1131, 2.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8hacLBs5BEE
youtu.be/K6JNhWfejAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eMO87n-3Ibg&feature=youtu.be&t=99
youtube.com/watch?v=3kD_QhYgIA4
youtube.com/watch?v=Go4_grJPFiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uH2dM_LLKJg
youtube.com/watch?v=1BzdpC-uhRY
ign.com/articles/2018/07/21/sly-cooper-tv-show-to-launch-october-2019
youtube.com/watch?v=w9iYHl21MGg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the only bad one is size matters. haven't played nexus

It depends on who you ask, Some will say the series died after Deadlocked. Others will say it died after A Crack in Time and the interquel comic, was briefly revived when Into the Nexus came out, and died a second time thanks to the failure of the movie. We don't talk about the PSP games, mobile games, or Japanese manga.

when the autism of the fanbase took over

R&C2

I want to say Tools of Destruction, because it kicked off the whole EPIC STORYTELLING bend, where Ratchet is the last of his kind and Clank is the chosen one for a bunch of weird little aliens, but I also kind of want to blame Up Your Arsenal for making every level aggressively linear and using multiplayer maps as part of the main story and for introducing Dr. Nefarious who was a fantastic one-shot villain but got progressively less entertaining with every reappearance.
Deadlocked doesn't pussyfoot around with how it's aggressively linear and uses multiplayer maps as part of the campaign, it goes whole hog with the idea and frames the story in a way that facilitates it and drops a lot of the more heavily comedic characters for its duration so there's no awkward tonal problems.

Ratchet and Clank's biggest problem is that there is no "perfect" game, all of the PS2 games shine in different areas, 1 has the branching level paths and loads of colorful NPCs, 2 has the improved gameplay and tighter gadget use, 3 refines the gameplay further but drops most of the platforming and puzzle stuff, save for the FUCKING Hacker, and Deadlocked is almost all shooting with some vehicle breaks in-between, but there's no fifth game that combines all the best stuff into one really knock-out experience.

Nexus is pretty small and isn't anything special.
Anyway, the only factual "wrong" point is the movie and the reboot game. They scrubbed so much character for "fuzzy lovable Pixar protagonist" and the other characters got hit too.

I still believe we're getting a PS4 RnC game. I know it. I can feel it.

You mean PS5 launch title.

MR ZURKON IS READY TO SHIT UP THE RATCHET AND CLANK 2 REMAKE

Attached: Mr 'I've been in 7 Ratchet and Clank games' Zurkon.jpg (517x580, 118K)

Crossgen is a possibility.

It just got stale. They made so many of them that they ran out of interesting ideas. The culmination of this is the PS4 game, which doesn't do much more than make the original more generic in all its aspects.
I love this franchise but man it's fine to let it go on hiatus or even just die.

You're wrong. Because those sons and daughters of bitches at Insomniac found success with Spiderman? They're busy making sequels to that. Ratchet is frankly dead. Don't forget Resistance Fall of Man, Insomniac has been DESPERATELY trying for years to escape the "cartoony game" formula and copy Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch. The only reason you even got the PS3 Ratchet games is because Insominac was NOT successful until Spiderman. And frankly do you even want more Ratchet games with melodrama bland stories? Because that's not Ratchet and Clank. Fuck Insomniac. And fuck Spiderman. And just fuck all these people to hell. I hope somehow they end up bankrupt and die.

When zombie soulless generic next gen ratchet was created. I love r&c but i just want it to die now i hate what theyre doing with it

I would like to add to this and say that they fucked up big time by dropping David Bergeaud as composer. It's like they knew their games weren't cool enough for his rad music.
youtu.be/8hacLBs5BEE

counterpoint: size matters had bergeaud and that game sucked donkey dick

I can’t be the only one who thought Tools was one of the blandest and most forgettable action games ever made, right?
I don’t remember a single thing about the game, which is saying something for a R&C game. This is a franchise known for its zaniness and leaving solid first impressions, and yet for the love of my life I can’t remember anything about Tools. Not one level, gun, original character, etc. It’s surreal that I can still distinctly remember lines and easter eggs from Going Commando and UYA, but not Tools, which is a more recent release.
The saddest part is that Tools may have killed the franchise because it was the first real entry for the PS3 generation and it arrived on the scene with all of the force of a wet towel.

Tools is one of my least replayed Ratchet games desu. There are one or two decent ideas in there but honestly aCiT was so much better that it made the game redundant.

That's fair but we can't blame Insomniac for that trainwreck, that's all on High Impact Games, who also made the unbearable bore that was Secret Agent Clank, and the game that finally killed Jak and Daxter off, Lost Frontier.

size matters armor system was the only real interesting thing and made me wish they implemented something like it in mainline games instead of "Next armor that reduces damage by x%"

The armor system was interesting but using all your best pieces made you look like you'd walked through a scrapyard covered in glue.

True that. Weird to think that Size Matters was one of their better titles.

That said, didn't Bergeaud do some work on Tools?

It didn't. I've played literally every R&C game and they're all good games.

I don't remember if he did or not, mostly because I can't remember anything about Tools of Destruction besides the main villain, the really awful glider segments, and the two old man robots.

would you accept it if mixing armor pieces into the set bonuses would replace the textures with a new, homogenized one?

Like for example, Ice II is this, but my suggestion would make perhaps the entire armor white but with purple accents.

Attached: file.png (297x339, 120K)

R&C 3 and Deadlocked, kinda the same thing that happened with resident 4, they made an awesome game(in this case 2) and decided to go and make another one of those but in the PS3 So instead of evolving from 1/2/3 game we got 3 again and again, and again.
Tools and anything from the future series are all bland and generic but not only cuz they linear now, but the characters, the narrative, the gameplay, and the worlds all took hits, they just aren't as interesting or fun as the old games
It feels like those games were made by completely different people or someone that straight up started playing r&c from the 3.

Attached: 1553463164018.gif (320x256, 1.86M)

Just make the color/aesthetics a separate slot from the actual armor pieces. It gives a non-gameplay reward for optional things like skill points, arenas, races, etc and if for some reason you like the clown college look you can just leave that slot empty.

I agree to an extent but the level of quality has gone down significantly since the first few

don't forget that they really settled into some smelly archetypes for guns. Remember how the disc launching weapon became the buzz blades in ToD and it...kept being the buzz blades?

Attached: Buzz_Blades.png (370x451, 183K)

Yeah, thats true, but I still regularly get the urge to replay pretty much every entry in the series. Even tools, etc.

none of the PS3 ratchets are remotely playable

Insomniac used to just be a team of nerds who liked making fun games until Ted Price decided he wanted Insomniac to be the next big Triple A dev like Bioware and Infinity Ward, no the irony isn't lost on me, and so he shifted focus on trying to churn out mass appeal games like Fuse and Sunset Overdrive and drove a lot of talent from the studio

Attached: 4982309473242.jpg (273x431, 11K)

Fuck off you extremist Yea Forums memer. Go shitpost in some other thread.

I couldn't even be bothered to replay the PS4 game once. I got nearly every gold bolt on my first visit to each planet and I wasn't even trying. The gameplay is just too shallow to get much out of challenge mode.

Remember how this was the absolute weakest rocket launcher in the series that could only hold FIFTEEN ROCKETS in it, and stuck around for two games?

Attached: Negotiator AKA the wet toilet paper wad gun.png (570x368, 141K)

Clockblockers is still the best while Into the Taint is okay for a 'mini' R&C with a spooky aesthetic.

I only played Nexus the once. I remember it had some pretty neat gameplay gimmicks but nothing interesting enough to flesh out a whole game, so the cut length was appropriate.
The unstable framerate was the worst part.

I’ve played pretty much every R&C game except for the PS4 reboot.
Give it to me straight. How bad is it?

Mega Rocket Tube was prob the best rocket launcher, despite having the most boring name. Though aesthetically the Annihilator/Decimator def wins imo.

Attached: rac_04_10.jpg (180x157, 10K)

What was the R&C game that had a optional arena world that you could go to? I remember having a blast during that in my childhood.

Gameplay wise the reboot is great. It's very smooth and looks amazing, like a pixar movie. However they cut out some planets (the suck cannon planet and suck cannon, for instance), and the story changes are boring at best.

Most of them have that, even Nexus does and that's only half the length of a regular Ratchet game.

The PS4 game doesn't.

Every game that wasn't one of the spin-offs had an arena, Going Commando actually had two.

>Cut levels
>Levels got smaller and made more linear
>Uses weapons from different games
>Nu ratchet instead "lol nerds"ratchet
>Reworked story
Pretty much a re imagining of ratchet and clank, and a very bad one

It didn't. The worst of these games is simply mediocre.

3 was probably the biggest arena. 2 had 2 smaller ones I think, plus some races and such?

Okay which game had the rainbow colored particle effects when you maxed a weapon out?

Deadlocked.

Deadlocked, when weapons got maxed in the NG+ modes.

after deadlocked next question

Tools of Destruction is so bad no one discusses it, they have two side games that aren't worth mentioning and ACiT which can't even compete with fucking R&C2. There are no memorable characters, weapons, locations, or moments in the PS3 games.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I still liked it. Don't really get why it's cool to hate on it here. But I also didn't care for A Crack in Time and most people seem really fond of that one.

Which game had the best RHYNO?
For me UYA had the best one until you upgraded it to V5, where it became the worst.

Is it true that they turned Ratchet into a more kid friendly, generic shonen protagonist?

Thanks, gonna find a iso for that.

RYNO 2, all day, every day. It just shoots a buttload of homing rockets, no bells, no whistles, just death, and you can get ammo for it from crates.

Yes

I thought it was disappointing and I was prepared to be disappointed. It's not a bad game, but I couldn't help but compare it to the original.
The story and writing are shit but you knew that already. Same with the soundtrack.
The gameplay is really smooth, but that's part of the problem with it. You can avoid nearly any attack just by strafing and double jumping. Doesn't matter where you jump, you'll still dodge. Combat is pretty dull because it's just a case of exchanging gunfire with no real strategy over choice of weapon or positioning.
The level design was the big one for me. 90% of them are 1:1 recreations of the original planets except many of them have secrets removed. The exception is the new level (Deplanetiser) which sucks and the revamped level (Gaspar) which is actually really good and probably the most fun part of the game. Worth playing at least once IMO.
And of course, a number of planets are also cut.

If you can get it for like $10 and you've enjoyed all the other mainline Ratchet games so far you'll probably get something out of it. But otherwise it's the dullest and most disposable entry.

Hey there, fuzzball.

Attached: 1lym0d5uarz01.png (197x145, 44K)

Only thing I didn't like about it was that sound it made when it fires

it's okay in some regards but in others it's really bad.

Gameplay is honestly fine. Ratchet's new origin story/personality is more love it or hate it (i'm fine with it) The biggest change is this is now an origin story for nefarious, whose organic form is now Drek's chief scientist, who betrays him (not that he was a good villain anyways) and takes over as the actual final boss

Some issues:

>Several planets are gone because no reason really
>Eudora, Oltanis, Umbris, Orxon and Hoven are gonee
>Batalia is mostly the same structure wise but is now a frozen planet instead of jungle, Quartu is entirely redesigned

>most guns are replaced with Future equivalents or whatever
>Blaster replaced with Combuster
>Morph-o-ray replaced with A4O's Sheepinator
>smelly Groovitron, Mr Zurkon and Buzzblades return for the 10th time
>Only two actually new guns exist: The Pixelizer (a shotgun) and the Proton Drum (A...thing)
>Lastly, the RYNO is made by finding cards, which feature RYNO models from the previous games (but the future, canonically). The shady trader guy is now Slim Cognito and the RYNO is referred to as the RYNO (the original), uses the RYNO 4's model recolored, and uses the RYNO 5/7's stupid spray and pray fire mode with a symphonic piece playing

i like 3 more than 2

That's fine user, we're all friends here.

There's nothing wrong with liking 3 more than 2. It has some nice +s over 2, even if it does have a fair few downsides too.

these were the best shooters

Attached: dcxf19k-23f7b09e-4afd-4506-ac49-b94fc3def6a7.png (2000x1108, 347K)

I don't know why you felt the need to spoiler it, everyone loves the PS2 titles.

>Dual Raptors with the shock or ice mod
Deadlocked had some of the best weapons in the series, and none of the starting weapons stopped being useful an hour into the game.

Attached: when the crotchitizer kicks in.png (216x238, 66K)

kind of sucks that the RYNO 3 and 4 were peak OP weapons

>RY3NO fires the perfect barrage of homing missiles, becomes homing lasers until it becomes ruined at level 5, becoming the Zodiac
>RYNO 4 melts everything in sight on contact
>RYNO 5 and on are stupid

You can say the same about the first game.

This, Deadlocked was absolute gunplay kino. No nonsense. I loved the edge when I played it back in the day.

R&C 3 > gladiator (or deadlocked for the retards on this board) > R&C 1 > R&C 2 > R&C ToD > everything else

Be honest, user, did you REALLY use the bomb glove after you got any other weapon?

When the writers changed going over to ps3

>Deadlock's RYNO equivalent was a weapon that shot tracers for an orbital laser strike to target
>the only mods it could equip were ammo mods which is all it needed anyways

I fucking loved it

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 2.99M)

Nope, but the blaster and pyrocitor never stopped being useful. How often did you use the N60 in Ratchet 3, even early game?

The only problem with 1 is no strafing
It is the perfect ratchet game if that doesnt bother you

They had a good idea there bro, sadly they forgot they made weapon effects and such and instead we got the same weapons again and again when using that system and expanding on it would give the game lots of depth.
>Lots of speed mods with shock
God damn the best feeling blaster in the whole fucking series

Attached: 1558139780559.gif (303x303, 813K)

Crack in Time also had the distinction of the basic bitch weapons (Blaster, Bomb Glove, Shotgun) staying useful because they were modular, but it made me wish they did more with it.

Attached: file.png (750x506, 1017K)

>Upgrade it past level 10
>Every clip is enough to get enough XP to upgrade it again, refreshing ammo completely
>Get infinite ammo until level 99, roughly one playthrough

If you wanna get all hair-splitty about it, the wrench and the bomb glove are your starting weapons, anything you had to buy doesn't count, but I know what you mean.
And no, the blaster equivalents in 2 and 3 were crap two levels in.

>The only problem with 1 is no strafing
BUT user

Attached: file.png (637x512, 507K)

Second best-selling Insomniac game right hear, outpaced only by Spider-Man

If they announce a new game, it will sell more than DMC5 & Sekiro, live with these facts

Attached: 9886655.jpg (449x440, 99K)

The strafing thing doesn't bother me one bit, the level and enemy design doesn't require you to strafe to effectively fight and it makes positioning much more important.

>no other game lets you air-dash
>as soon as 2 the copter pack and thruster pack are the exact same thing

Attached: thanks for breakin' my cow lamp.png (165x169, 8K)

Be honest, did anyone actually use this? The setup time was just too long for me to ever bother.

The whole idea of him being the last lombax is absolute shit. He fucking met Angela like two games before.

I much preferred when each game had it's own villain and story, but now the future series is this one long adventure that I don't even give a shit about.

Attached: 5726ed3e9c99b4a86f772360_580b7afcebfca5702f3c4368_320.jpg (320x316, 54K)

the game doing well was dragged down by the movie it was tied in with NOT doing well.

Anyone else remember how in ratchet 1, on the last level there is a ledge you have to high jump to, but you can only jump high enough with the helipack

I didnt know the helipack jumped higher than the thruster pack so was stuck on that bit for hours, such retarded design

A Crack in Time is honestly objectively the best one and i say this as someone who replayed pretty much every R&C multiple times, Also Deadlock is not that bad, i liiked the OST and the tone of it

Attached: 576546346.jpg (1080x1080, 91K)

In 2 the copter and thruster packs were very slightly different. As far as I can tell, the copter let you descend slower and the thruster had higher jump height. Plus, they had distinct long/high jumps that genuinely mattered when platforming.

Anyone who didn't use the copter pack exclusively is a total fagus, though.

Same desu

It wasn't a thing at first in the first 3 games which is why Angela being a lombax wasn't an issue at the time but once Future happened they were back and forth on if she ever was one, until finally deciding she was, females don't have tails, and she already escaped to another dimension with Max Apogee.

If they do a RC2 Remake they'd have to address it though.

the only real functional difference between th two after RC1 is that ratchet's long jumps with the rocket pack are more horizontal and don't have as much vertical height so he could bump shit.

>Having to stop, crouch and then jump when I could just easily just double jump
No thanks, besides, planes are cooler than helicopters

Sly was objectively the better series

Still mad that SONY shat on the series in favor of ratchet and fucking jak

>slamming your stupid jet-loving face into map geometry every time to you try to save time by long-jumping
You deserve every second of it, rocket boy.

The only one of the big Sony second-party series I didn't really like was Jak, honestly. The gameplay and openness didn't draw me in at all.

>Sly
>Better series
Good joke, how is your series doing my man? One bad game was enough to kill it

That's why I don't really care about the tools story. Like you get a new writer who doesn't even fully know the duos adventures. How can you truly capture who they are and their experiences?

If they DO reboot it, I will fucking shit myself if they decide to change her race to something other than a Lombax.

I'm just mad the romantic storylines never really took off in any of the games. I feel like it could've created some hilarious scenes and moments, like between Angela and Sasha for example.

Like the game was already adult enough, I don't understand why they were always so fast to drop off any character that wasn't Qwark or Nefarious.

Attached: kisspng-deviantart-work-of-art-angela-cross-5b0740a8e547f9.3636414715272019609391.jpg (900x740, 148K)

>Sly was objectively the better series
no way
I liked sly and completed them all. But there are way to many boring shit filler mission in 2 and 3
Lots of filler in general walking around the open maps
very painful to replay

>how is your series doing my man?

How is Ratchet doing?

arguing about your smelly aesthetics when I exist?

Attached: file.png (602x402, 636K)

Never played this. Should I just emulate orginal? Is there a hd remake I can get for ps3?

When it became less satirical and innuendo-ridden around the PS3 era.

Don't forget about the minigames. Some of them are great fun, but they're offset by forcing you to endure dozens of fuckawful busywork minigames that don't ever get more complex or interesting.

if I remember the comics officially made Ratchet and Talwyn dating, and Sasha was reintroduced

Emulate if you can. The HD versions on PS3 have some issues, especially during cutscenes which can be quite bad.

There is a PS3 HD port but it's kinda buggy. At this point I think emulation works better (so long as PCSX2 is up to date).

there's an HD Collection of the first triogy on PS3 (I also think deadlocked HD is downloadable) and of course the PS4 remake

I want to know how that crap got past QA, Ratchet's helmet in 2 and 3 doubles in size during EVERY CUTSCENE and a lot of the effects don't even work, like the teleporters in 3.

Stfu
But I legit hope Jak/sly and r&c make a comeback.

Attached: 1553526198865.jpg (990x682, 49K)

Get the hd ps3 version
The remake is crap and very different (play the remake after for curiosities sake)
and it doesn't emulate well

The ps2 version is still the best and the ps3 version has slow down

The performance on the PS3 version is better than the PS2 version in my experience. That's not to say anything of all the bugs though.

I still don't know how I feel about Talwyn. Like sure make them a couple but like god, they've hugged like twice. Make me actually CARE about them as a couple if you're gonna bother giving them a relationship title.

Emulation or PS3
Avoid vita, they fucked this series in there

>no more Sly
>no more Jak
>no more Rachet
>no more inFAMOUS
>no more Resistance
>more God of War, but eh
>no more Killzone

Attached: 32651061201.png (540x540, 185K)

You can count Jak out for good. Naughty Dog is too good to do anything like that ever again. All they want to do is Uncharted/Last of Us type of experiences now.

This, getting a ps2/3 and enjoying all this dead series and knowing they are mostly just dead cuz Sony and everyone seems to just care bout oscart bait number 2 and Indiana Jones 4 is truly suffering.

>Sony is intent on killing every single fun and good franchise they built up on PS2 and PS3
That's not even to say the shit they abandoned on PS3 itself, there were so many attempts and they stopped after just one.

Attached: 1267233612368.jpg (400x343, 15K)

Right thanks, will keep to emulation then. What about the jak & dexter triology is the ps3 port fucked too?

I played the Jak trilogy on PS3 and only noticed one graphical bug (which unfortunately happens in an important citutscene). Nothing else stood out as being buggy, but I didn't have the PS2 version to compare to.
Avoid the PS4 version though I've only heard bad things about it.

So sad man, they are so full of themselves too
Fucking "we don't use the word fun" stupid fucks I literally can believe thats the same company that made the crash games and jak, I really hope TLOU 2 just fails to such an extent that they are forced to remove the idiots out of the company and back to making games instead of movies

Attached: 1555216849426.gif (236x307, 1.56M)

It's the same company, but it isn't the same people.

>this fucker shows up
>then he shows up AGAIN
AND THEN HE DOES IT AGAIN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1548076741830.png (210x240, 119K)

They made a movie that went through too many changes and then made a mediocre game along side it.

>that one fanfiction where he captures Ratchet for ransom and fucks Ratchet until he bleeds while broadcasting it to the entire galaxy

The author is surprisingly is pretty cool dude. Still chat with him from time to time.

Attached: ratchet_and_clank__gc___star_explorer_by_o0demonboy0o-d7wga7j.png (1024x569, 219K)

Dafuq

Honestly, it is so horrible it becomes hilarious. It's called Compensation. Highly recommend.

PS4 versions got a patch a few months ago that made them kinda better. I was going though Jak 2 at the time and frame rate seemed improved a bit, mostly graphical errors were fixed though. Like the precursor metal textures in the forest.

> They scrubbed so much character for "fuzzy lovable Pixar protagonist"
bro that shit's been going on since future

bro the bomb glove is stupid good

Never heard of the manga. What's bad about it? All I know is japanese Ratchet has bigger eyebrows

The first 3 games were good, Gladiator was really fun, Size matters was a bit of a mess but still overall fun, secret agent Clank is... Alright, never played booty calls, armed was decent, the time one was really good, Q force was really shit, the one for 4 players is great with friends, otherwise its a really sad game, didn't play Nexus or the reboot

nexus and the reboot were both fine if you can get them for a low price

Nexus is pretty good despite the 30 fps thing, though you'll want it discounted. Reboot might make you mad if you were really invested in the series.

>Some will say the series died after Deadlocked
Do you mean it killed it or that all the games after were bad?
I preferred it to the mainline games.

HASHTAG GADGETRON

died after IMO

>the really awful glider segments
There's nothing awful about them. They controlled better than the glider in Going Commando.

it's time to pink wojak about how we will never get games like the Sly, Jak & Ratchet trilogy.
SNIFFFF
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>it's time to pink wojak
Go to reddit.

>You will NEVER get to fuck her metal pussy
youtu.be/K6JNhWfejAQ
Why even go on?

Attached: Courtney_Gears_(2).png (262x359, 167K)

She's better off being scrap metal.

I loved every single one of those, those are the most fun I had in any game

I maxed every infamous game that came out on both playtroughs

>remake a game
>improve the graphics and ruin everything else
>huge success
As if we needed any more proof that this industry is hopeless

Ratchet mimicking her dance moves is still one of the greatest cutscenes ever.

Attached: Invincible texan man.jpg (584x622, 118K)

youtube.com/watch?v=eMO87n-3Ibg&feature=youtu.be&t=99

Attached: 1521995104776.png (710x577, 30K)

If you've got an hour and a half to kill, this guy goes in depth and explains really well why the new games aren't as good as the originals
youtube.com/watch?v=3kD_QhYgIA4

>Furries
>Furries
>Furries
>capeshit
>generic FPS
>casualized H&S
>Generic FPS
Wow, what a shame!

Tools of Destruction.

Nowhere, all games are good and enjoyable if what you're looking for is to RIP YA A NEW ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never forgive this. Playing Ratchet 1 again recently, he was such a punk. And the music reflected that. They had dynamics and didn't just instantly unanimously agree to help everyone everytime, they had different motives. They hated eachother for a few levels in the original because there was a big conflict, there was development. The writing was hilarious at times. It's fucking stupid how badly written the reboot is.

Attached: 69.jpg (396x691, 62K)

RC1 Asshole Ratchet was best Ratchet

Attached: 1554743009421.jpg (675x609, 79K)

I miss you, lizard man

Attached: 8082367.jpg (1080x998, 80K)

>Asshole Ratchet
Doesn't exist, you're either remembering wrong or have never finished the game.

"Asshole" Ratchet only comes out when Qwark betrays them and ends when they beat Qwark.

Ratchet 2 and upgrading weapons/mods. Now this isn't an issue in 2 itself (well your first playthrough anyway) but future games making weapons level 5 times for no reason made most enemies into damage sponges to compensate for weapon levels, making the combat a tad less satisfying cause they wouldn't react to your hits as often.

I know entire 1 by memory and I still haven't played any ps3 games, are they emulable yet?

From what little I have seen from insomniacs live streams, the devs seem a little resentful toward the older games. And also on some of the classic things like the innuendo titles.

But i have bearly watched any of their streams.

Attached: 1538421650990.jpg (1014x1116, 358K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Go4_grJPFiQ

Original RAC had so much atmosphere.

Attached: 1094529-795px_gemlik_moonbase.jpg (795x599, 87K)

2:11
youtube.com/watch?v=uH2dM_LLKJg

I remember unlocking this commercial on RC1 and rewatching it laughing with my friends at the moms reaction. I miss 90/00s commercials.

Ratchet never left.
Sly had a game out six years ago.
Jak hasn't had a game for a decade now..

One of my favs from one

youtube.com/watch?v=1BzdpC-uhRY
this one of my favs from two

Its a shame pcsx2 doesnt run rc1 quite right so i wouldnt have to pull out my ps2 to play it.

Working in marketing during that era must have been so fun. The industry hadn't been so refined and studied, you could pretty much do whatever and hope it works.

Prioritizing a movie over making a solid game or ending the series properly.
>Some will say the series died after Deadlocked
What goddamn moron say this?

That sucks rc1-4 are some of my fav games growing up i still play 1, 2 and deadlock almost yearly.

Yeah the sterile and by the number commercials dont make me miss tv at all.

I honestly didn't like the third one all that much. There were no bonus objectives and the overly huge maps like the Thyrranoid homeworld killed it for me

>Thyrranoid homeworld
That was an awesome level, though.
>still haven't finished my wrench-only run
>this level is kicking my ass
First level where you tend to fight enemies from a distance.

>still haven't finished my wrench-only run
Gamechamp3000 stop playing japanese monkey games and get to it

the best one was ratchet deadlocked. best weapons, nice variety of maps/mission types and straight forward.

I'm just doing it for fun, man. I'll finish it one day. Haven't finish my fisticuffs run of DQVIII, either. I think I left off at Empychu, but I'll probably start that one over.

Gee I wonder if this is a genuine opinion and totally not just parroting what that one Yea Forums approved eceleb said.

Sly is coming back soon

ign.com/articles/2018/07/21/sly-cooper-tv-show-to-launch-october-2019

Attached: D7SpkhMXYAAsLw4.jpg (700x700, 55K)

>30fps
>great

Not him, but although you're right, at least we had Ratchet's personality from the first game and then they ruined how much of a selfish dick he was with the dumb asshole who idolises Quark of all people

The ps3-4 transition watered down Ratchet to be a generic blob "i save the world because im the save the world good guy"

Should have kept him as the "back water mechanic guy just wants some adventure". He saved the world in the first game not because he "was destined" too but because it was the best way to get personal revenge on quark and drek.

Its not like In$omniac care anymore though. They make the big bucks doing marvel games.

Attached: 32c0efdf2e5cb4180e55f1d83f365cf7e54daa18.gif (500x371, 1.41M)

Why does everyone hate Size Matters? Is it really that bad? Maybe it's just my rose colored glasses, but I remember loving the hell out of it.

Attached: 1555954401869.png (432x432, 73K)

Because an eceleb said he didn't think it was as good as the first two so naturally Yea Forums not actually playing it and judging for themselves now goes by his word alone.

He's kind of a dick in the first game. He's not a hero and doesn't want to save planets, he just wants stuff for himself mainly

Size matters and secret agent clank are both decent in my opinion though. I enjoyed them more than Gladiator/Deadlocked for sure. Somewhere on the line alongside the PS3 games, since any of the first three are the best of them all

Attached: enemy assassinated!.png (392x332, 101K)

Only if you are using classic skin or low tier armor

Fuck that shitty infernox suit

Attached: 4108179_o.gif (320x256, 607K)

Never. I have yet to play a "bad" R&C game. R&C 1 would be the worst simply because it was new and lacked shit like strafing but even then the core gameplay was fun. I'd quite happily play another one if they released it.

What dank youtube meme is this?
You can strafe in RC1, its the only game in the series were you can actually die since you only have 3HP for most of the game.

Attached: 1492365798789.jpg (236x433, 28K)

I even read "one really knock-out experience" in his voice

RYNO II will always be my favourite because of how simple and just strong it is.

>You can strafe in RC1
I know you can TECHNICALLY do it via some sort of hover thing but it was so fucking fiddly that it may as well not have existed as it's functionality was zero. R&C 2 onwards fixed that.

Meant for

Attached: 1463599258190.png (796x559, 516K)

>so long as PCSX2 is up to date
If the most recent version is still 1.4.0 then no you need to find a nightly build instead which has fixed hardware rendering for R&C. Not that hard to do though.

So what your parroting is that old game has old mechanics and new game has improved on old game?

Wonderful, thanks for contributing.

Attached: 1527261921628.png (828x964, 703K)

I'm not sure why you're being so hostile with zero provocation, take a deep breath and calm down. You sound like you think I'm hating on R&C 1 when I merely stated it's the worst R&C game due to its age meaning it lacked the QoL improvements of it's successors, not that it was a bad game in its own right.

Attached: 1310645850174.jpg (429x339, 23K)

It does everything worse than all the other Ratchet games without really having anything unique to set it apart.
The game's short as fuck with linear levels and terrible weapons. It's ok in and of itself but one of the worst Ratchet games otherwise.

>What goddamn moron say this?
I do. The PS2 games are noticeably better than anything after. I played 1-3 back in the day when I was younger and then put the series on hold for years. I originally skipped Gladiator/Deadlocked because I heard it was worse so I went right into Tools of Destruction and it just didn't have that same "feeling" that the older games had. After having the same experience with A Crack in Time I just assumed it was my nostalgia for the older games ruining my experience with the newer ones but then I played Gladiator AFTER playing those two PS3 and absolutely loved it. It was different, sure, but it felt like a proper Ratchet & Clank game. I can't explain it but it just felt the same. I don't know if the team working on the games changed between Gladiator and Tools of Destruction but to me there's a very noticeably difference. I think the post-PS2 era games are all decent 7-8/10 games but the PS2 titles are some of my all-time favorites and all either a 9 or a 10.

Ratchet 1 didn't need Ratchet 2 strafing because none of the enemy or level design needed it. Adding Ratchet 2 strafing to Ratchet 1 would have made the game way too easy. It's not a QoL change, it's a straight up mechanical difference.

I wouldn't mind him being in EVERY FUCKING GAME if they gave him some new lines, goddamn he wasn't even that funny the first time around

There's a difference between saying "the previous games were better" and "this series is dead".

It's overstayed its welcome now but Tools introduced the Groovitron, at the time a fantastic 'tool' (as they were known in that game) and I was pleasantly surprised they let it work perfectly find on bosses, even the final boss.

>Adding Ratchet 2 strafing to Ratchet 1 would have made the game way too easy. It's not a QoL change, it's a straight up mechanical difference.
Horseshit. I lost count of the amount of times I had to run in circles to re-align my aim and avoid getting shot at the same time compared to 2 where I could dodge AND not spend another 1-2 seconds re-aligning my fucking shot. That is not good or intentional game design, that is dated controls and trying to justify them in the name of added difficulty means nothing when the controls themselves are frustrating to the point of detracting from the game. Your excuse sounds like the IGN article that docked points from Metroid Prime on the Wii because "the ability to aim with the Wii Remote made the game too easy". I don't care if better controls would have made the game easier, it still would have been more fun not wresting with the controls against any enemy who didn't instantly die and thus forced me to go on that fucking merry-go-round of dodging/aiming.

Attached: 1426130384376.gif (267x199, 581K)

Considering that for the last 15 years the series has been pretty much peaking with 7/10 games surrounded by garbage spin-off titles and an awful remake of the first game (not to mention that the last proper mainline game Nexus is the worst one yet) the series might as well be dead. We'll never get anything as good as the PS2 games again and the slow ongoing death started with Tools of Destruction.

me too

i LOVE the first Sly game but when i played the Sly 2 Demo i hated it

I agree, ToD was so underwhelming it was the first PS3 game I got rid of

By not making a game with the lombaxes after how great ACiT was.
Nexus was alright, but way too short. Remake of the movie of 1 was bland as hell and fuck Qwark retelling he is not funny and his jokes have gone too far.

This. I really dont get why they didnt got new lines, it's always the same shit over and over.

The very thing the series criticized about(greed) is the very same thing that destroyed it.

The bomb glove is awesome

What were the proposed innuendo titles for each game in the series? I only know Booty Calls, Clock Blockers and Multiple 4gasms

i miss the Insomniac Museums

Sounds like that's just a you problem, I was never frustrated with the controls.
While we're at it, the Trilogy version of Prime is a worse game. The invisible drone is a fucking cakewalk in that version.

I never liked the armor that coverd his face. I always liked being able to see ratchets expressions/mouth during cutscenes.

Qwarks hand drawn plans were some of the best scenes in R&C games
>Ratchet getting killed in ever panel
Haha its just like what Insomniac did to the series!

Attached: 1342651940249.gif (150x130, 263K)

You dont remember the fucking pirates, their planet and space fights? Also that jello factory

And grovitron youtube.com/watch?v=w9iYHl21MGg

>RATCHET AND CLANK 2 REMAKE
please no. they fucked up the first one too much.

I hate how the coolest weapons & gadgets only ever get used in one game and then the Future series just uses the same boring blaster/buzz blades/zurkon over and over

Resistance was kinda meh aside from the guns. You could tell that some more ratchet style guns bled into it.

>Where did it go wrong?
When they started reuising the same weapons look for every new game.

Why the fuck they didnt made new weapons for the remake? 70% of them are a port from A Crack In Time, fuck them, discovering new weapons was one of the appeal f the series.

Totally agree, reusing weapons was lazy, even Crack in Time (which is still one of the best games in the series) is dragged down by it.
In 2 and 3 they had their own new roster of weapons AND some returning favourites from the older games, the perfect balance

In 3 they even improved the returning weapons that were busted in 2.
On the flipside, the weapons that returned from 1 in 2 were nerfed into uselessness.

>mfw Liquid Nitrogen Gun
Couldn't have asked for a better fix for the trash that was Meteor Gun

Attached: 1503776662872.jpg (487x600, 191K)

Ratchet and Clank remake. Too many people said it was genuinely great.

>loved to use suck cannon
>only used in 2 main games

This level+music makes you feel you are gonna die. Meanwhile Nefarious Station from ACiT was so pathetic with that 1930s alien music and that kiddy design that just makes you laugh.
Good ACiT is so fucking overrated.

Talwyn is literally Tara Strong nepotism.

TJ Fixman.

>On the flipside, the weapons that returned from 1 in 2 were nerfed into uselessness
depends on the weapons from 1 you talking about. I feel like Agents of Doom where much better in 3 then in 1 and it's upgarded form made it even better also this

Attached: agents-of-doom.png (339x402, 212K)

What were they THINKING?

Attached: meteor gun.png (2256x1338, 2.31M)

>hey there, hope you weren't planning on spending all those bolts you were saving up on a fun new weapon, because now you have to use them all on an arbitrary barrier just to progress the game

Fuck whoever came up with this mechanic

Attached: B2eGto7.gif (640x360, 1.45M)

>the weapons that returned from 1 in 2
>IN 2
That is, the RC1 weapons that made a comeback in Going Commando were nerfed to oblivion (Tesla Claw, Visibomb Gun, Bomb Glove, Walloper, Decoy Glove).

It didn't help that GC overdid it with turning enemies into total bullet sponges, especially in the New Game+.

Main issue was that there was no second upgrade tier for those weapons

Why are people still seething over this? Lava gun was fucking garbage just like the floating bomb gun, a beginner's trap to make you waste your money on useless guns

because it was fun

Lava gun was the best weapon in 2 for dealing with swarmers.

Now that we're arguing about weapons, post your weaponfu. For me, it's Plasma Storm.

Meteor Gun is ass but Liquid Nitrogen Gun is legitimately one of the best and most entertaining weapons in the series, probably my second favorite.

Attached: Plasma_storm.png (470x401, 258K)

Plasma whip.

Because it was was fun pissing enemies with your super laser piss

Insomniac were just right for making trilogies. They created solid and imaginative introductions to a game world with the first game, the second games tend to be the overall best with expansion and a real feeling that there is more to find out there. Third core games tend to be a logical place to stop, clearly they're tired of an IP, they got everything they could think of put to practice and while there's obviously more in that universe we clearly reached a good place to end this character's story.

Then people take it further. That's where it goes awry. Side games are hit or miss

Shock Cannon is my favorite. your weapons from the series I like Visibomb Gun, Agents of Doom, Nitro Launcher, Rift Inducer, Bouncer and Proton Drum, also
>That image
Look how happy he is with that weapon of mass destruction. I love it.
oops I miss read that my bad. anyway You are correct, I remeber buying the Visibomb Gun and being sad asf with how much weaker it got.

Attached: Shock_Blaster.png (581x412, 271K)

I meant to say remember not remeber. also meant to say other not your.

Not been here long, I take it?

>Not been here long, I take it?
more like I forget to spell check my words before posting. I've trying to get better at that but sometimes I fuck really bad and you get shit like my post above.

Will we ever get a ratchet game again or are Sony too focused on being AAA movie trash?

>Charlie
Literally made everyone hate RC3 by posting a completely biassed video comparing only negatives of RC3 while ignoring literally every positive RC3 made to the series.
Fuck that nog, and fuck his shitty opinions that ruined a fanbase's discussion by having zoomers and autists parrot every point that fuck makes

Attached: 1555895695954.jpg (762x785, 193K)

Sounds like you're mad that your favorite game isnt very good

Nope, never again

Spider man games sell more

Then that's fair enough. I'm proud of you for caring unlike so many other Anons who post illegible nonsense.

>Where did it go wrong?
When they decided 30fps was good enough.

Attached: ratchet-and-clank-nexus-img-4.jpg (462x260, 25K)

Underated

Attached: 1513338853370.jpg (480x480, 11K)

Nexus wasn't bad because it was 30fps, it was bad because it was 30fps with dips.
The PS4 game was still a downgrade but at least it was stable 30fps.

I just hate how he completely ignores how fun the multiplayer actually was. I actually played online back in 2005 with some of the most cancerous individuals i have ever met. Dude completely ignores the fact that there is just as much content and variety of gameplay just served in a linear fashion, but effect the experience if you 100% everything. Charlie completely ignored the weopon balancing fixes and aiming improvements as well as ignored the the weopon obsoletion philosophy shown in the developer commentary that he cited. Not all rushed games are as "unfinished" as he claims and refused show any pros that UYA had over going commando. As I said before, fuck Charlie and his shitty opinions.

Attached: 1554319073824.png (252x323, 127K)

I can't blame him for ignoring the multiplayer because most PS2 owners didn't have it hooked up for online when it came out. I completely missed that experience too.

What's the "weapon obsolescence philosophy" though?

The weopon obsoletion system was a way for developers to entice players into trying new weopons by making the old ones less effective over time. I love going commando very dearly, but Going commando shoves new weopons at the player and forces the player to pick up new weopons pretty immediately. UYA improves on this concept by giving the player more time to make these weopon desisions by having a longer upgrade process and increasing the benefits of sticking to a weopon you put a lot of exp investment into

Scorpion Flail and the Rift Ripper.

Feels like it went wrong after 3. 3 started the more wacky humor rather than focusing on commercialism and satire on celebrity culture.
And then with how well 3 did with fans they just made it more "cringe" with the humor.

Eh, both of those styles were kind of underwhelming to me.
The first game had a better approach where weapons were useful based on situation rather than simple power. Early game weapons were still useful so long as they were used in the write situation.
Deadlocked/Gladiator also did it pretty well by having a rather small selection of weapons that you fill out relatively early but encouraging you to experiment with mods to keep it fresh.
The Ratchet 2 and especially 3 model is just to make large portions of your arsenal useless when you get too far into the game.

*right situation. No idea how I misspelled that.

>3 started the more wacky humor rather than focusing on commercialism and satire on celebrity culture.
Deadlocked went all-in on the satire. It was more or less the last hurrah for the original writers before Fixman came and went full space-opera.

Did Deadlocked do well when it first came out?

That's fair, but i feel like the game was designed respect for the player investment in mind, they put the weopon testing vendor in the game for a reason and gave the player incentive to just skip a shitty weopon they didn't want or afford. The infector fucking suck but at least gives me the option to test it and buy armor or the spitting hydra instead. But going commando gives very hard choices of mini turret and pulse rifle for steep prices that may turn out to useless with weopons that probably won't carry you to later planets with damage sponge enemies.

Attached: 20180517_122822.png (48x42, 3K)

Fucking hate the space opera vibe. There was still humour but it was barely peppered in with all of the emotional moments and slow walking segments, not to mention Ratchet just does not shut the fuck up during gameplay because they had to appeal to five year olds or something. I mean A Crack in Time was my favourite PS3 game in the series but even that was a massive slog to replay because of all of the cinematic shit. The remake was pretty much every single problem with the PS3 games rolled into one. Lower frame rate, sterile characters that wouldn't shut the fuck up, removed content from the original, generic story, bad writing that lacked any sort of edge, generic orchestral soundtrack; it was all there. If you haven't played the originals it's a perfectly functional game but I was just bitterly disappointed. Looks like it's completely dead again as a series anyway due to the movie bombing harder than any video game movie has before, and I'm not surprised it did. My friend and I tried to watch it but two seconds in there was a fucking texting joke and we're like nah fuck this.

All the criticism of the remake tends to miss what I feel is the most important point.

The gameplay kinda blows. Not enough for it to be outright bad, but enough for it to not warrant replaying. There's just no depth to any of the combat. There are no new secrets in any of the levels to reward revisiting them. With very few exceptions, they just reskinned and sanded down the old game.