What are the most useless game mechanics in Vidya?

Post useless game mechanics from any Vidya game
>Durability in Bloodborne

Attached: durability.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

durability is worthless in every souls game except demon's souls.

I remember it having some impact in DS2, but usually wasn't a concern.

As well as the storage box

Thats because Dark Souls 2 was shit. A weapon shouldnt break after using a few R2s.

I used my weapon x amount of times and now its damage is down; I better go fix it with easily obtainable souls.

What an interesting mechanic!

Outside of 100%ing the game, did anyone ACTUALLY use the D-links in BBS?

Attached: khbbs107.jpg (480x272, 43K)

They are fun to mess around and ahve some useful passive effects, but they are literally useless for serius combat purpose.

Didn't one of the Ass Creed games have a move you only ever used once in the game and most people forgot about it, and got stuck at that part that required it?

not every mechanic is supposed to be interesting

It’s an incredibly situational mechanic that practically devolves into being completely irrelevant. It could absolutely use a few changes to make it interesting, like it affecting how the weapon is used or making it have an actual risk.

Thirst in Dark Cloud

What move are you talking about?

Because the game gave out repair powders like candy and there was also repair magic.

Durability should only be effected by specific shit, it going down just from use is just tedious.
Scraping spear and acid cloud in Demons were ways to interact with durability and made it fun to make builds around, but since people cried so hard about it, they removed it from all the games after it.
I know that they still have acid cloud and acid bombs but they do almost nothing, you'll NEVER break peoples shit with it. They removed it from ever being viable.

well then spend that manpower coding and programming the game into creating a mechanic thats interesting, retard

Mana is a bad mechanic in every game it's implemented. What resource management it'd introduce is always trivialized by the overabundance of items that restore it for the select few difficult situations in a given game. Mana only ever has two effects :
- Make small encounters more tedious because you have to slightly hold back
- Make "difficult" encounters easy as fuck because the balancing of skills through mana cost is completely irrelevant in fights where the player can go all out and use items to restore it

>only matters for like the Tonitrus, and all it does is actively makes the game less fun if you decide to use it

What an awful mechanic. And don't even give some horseshit excuse like "buhhh it's so the player can't abuse a strong weapon!" when the fucking whirligig exists.

>but usually wasn't a concern
Without having magic or using items, you needed to run some of the DLC areas in PC with multiple weapons if you were a dex build (especially as summon). Not a real concern, since there were so many upgrade materials.
Basically the bug in the original game was that you sometimes took double durability damage because of the high framerate. And hitting bodies (even if you oneshot an enemy because your weapon went through them) also did increased durability damage. Scholar "fixed" this by having you always take double durability damage and keeping the body bug.

Attached: 1502725665427.jpg (500x277, 47K)

yeah this. Don't know why they keep bringing it back, at least make it like DeS

nah mana is good. it's a common currency to balance relative power of different abilities that could be used in a given turn. done correctly it allows there to be some cost to using one spell over another in the same allotted time to account for dynamic situations

pls dont false dichotomy in my Yea Forums

Less mana more lost Turns using potions to restore it its tactical even in boss fights..

it exists to provide some depth to specific enemies. in normal gameplay, you repair your weapons occasionally and its no big deal... that is, until you encounter specific enemies which deal excessive durability damage which must be accounted for. without durability existing in the rest of the game in a very mundane, predictable, and easy way, these enemies could not have this extra flavor.

there was an issue in DS2 where durability was tied to framerate or something which caused all the twinblade weapons to lose durability extremely fast.

>megalixir
>use one turn to restore the mana of your entire team
yeah so fucking balanced
cooldowns > mana everytime

Yeah wow, what an interesting enemy type. Such flavor! Such depth!

Attached: burrowing rockworm.jpg (673x927, 799K)

there is zero use to the item except as a scoreboard and some extra lore better gotten online since you can atleast see more of it

for how much the games make a big deal about these i am amazed at how shit and useless they are

Attached: pokedex-kanto-1-1080x650.jpg (1080x650, 86K)

i mean yeah

>cooldowns > mana everytime
god no

I put in all items I didn't need anytime soon so I could quick switch equips during PVP. Wouldn't say it's entirely useless.

Okay I'm gonna stop being sarcastic: you're a retard who cares more about concepts on-paper than the actual in-game execution
Durability as actually implemented in Soulsborne has never been good, ever. None of the content that is reliant on it is good. It's simply not.

>that saturation
digusting

it's worth it just to make one ooze break one person's weapon so that just one time they think twice about it. because thats what oozes do, and that kind of thought process is what makes the genre great

instead of calling me a retard, you could explain why you feel it's bad, cause i'm interested in your opinion enough to reply

Every good mechanic is, but durability can work in the context of a survival based game. It has no place in action games that are only about killing shit, because all it does is throw a boring meter that makes killing shit more tedious, if it does anything at all.

>it exists to provide some depth to specific enemies.

That’s not the only intention of the mechanics design and it is not the only way to add “some depth to specific enemies.” You seem to have completely missed the point of my post, that your weapon simply losing damage and being easily repaired are the flaw of the mechanic, not how low durability threshold is achieved, which is again is done an incredibly simple manner.

Designing moves and weapons around the mechanic (see: ) is done far better in the sense that it not only involves more risk, the spell is designed around the mechanic, unlike these enemies. If it’s not clear, my claim is that an acid cloud affecting durability matches better than a lava bug affecting durability. This especially presents itself as a case when you think about the inconsistency of armor designs in relation to the durability mechanic. In other words, this bug causes the degradation at some rate while x enemy who probably should doesn’t?

>you repair your weapons occasionally and its no big deal...

Not necessarily.

>that is, until you encounter specific enemies which deal excessive durability damage which must be accounted for.

You make this claim but I, as well as many others, have never had to account for these specific enemies. Do note this is a completely separate part of the argument, as again I’ll reiterate that this is completely irrelevant to the claims I initially made about durability.

>without durability existing in the rest of the game in a very mundane, predictable, and easy way, these enemies could not have this extra flavor.

Define “extra flavor” and “depth” for one. Having a well designed durability mechanic is not mutually exclusive with having enemies affecting said durability mechanic in a meaningful way, no.

Vancian Casting in CRPGs without time limits, the only reason not to rest after every single fight is for personal RP reasons which is lame. PF kingmaker is the only one that got it right.

They also tell you the typing and local habitats for pokemon so you can know where to catch any after you've seen them. They are genuinely useful, user.

The only time I've ever liked a durability mechanic was how you had to sharpen weapons in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but even then once the novelty wore off, it was just a tedious minigame.

Tonitrus gets fucked up in a few swings if you abuse electricity to attack people
Aside from that I've never seen a weapon in that game at risk

There is a rule about how often you can rest in a period of time in the DnD games those rpgs are based off of. That being said, vancian casting is pretty bad as a system. AEDU from dnd 4e is way better in every way.

For the fucking hooded boss in departure land I used Aqua d-link to revive playing as Terra
To this day I can't believe I used the most useless character in the game to 100% it

This post reads like a MauLer video.

wow you didnt have to go full autism take your pills my dude

I won't defend it being shit and broken at launch and while after, but making you have to use multiple weapons made your builds more varied and acid powerful as fuck.
Did durability matter at all in 1&3?

wow you showed him my dude

Tonitrus goes down super fast if you use electricity. Also there are gems that reduce it's weapons durability for a big boost in attack.

i cant think of a single game where durability was a good idea. im sure somebody can though

I’m not familiar with that person.

It only took me a few minutes to write and it seemed like the person wanted to have a genuine discussion about the mechanic.

I’m almost positive this post was intended for: . In which case I’ll simply say that the manpower required for simply adjusting the rate of degradation is utterly insignificant. It’s a core issue with the RPG numbers aspect of these games development. There are always broken stats which could be fixed in the simplest of ways.

in 1 it only mattered if you were using weapons with special attacks (the dragon weapons and some boss weapons)

not a good idea but actually a tragically bad one. But i think the BOTW could have been good if they just made the weapons break until repair.

Zelda games have long struggled giving link an actual expanded weapon kit. picking up enemy weapons was rarely useful outside of a few situations and were not long use items, You have things like biggoron sword, masks and items that deal damage but its still something they just never got right. The game could have been great in this respect but the decision they make with it completely shits on it and turns what could fix a problem into a problem way worse than the old one ever was