What exactly went wrong?

what exactly went wrong?

Attached: amiibo-chrom-fire-emblem-novo-lacrado-original-nintendo-D_NQ_NP_931831-MLB29257803926_012019-F.jpg (1200x356, 33K)

>vast majority were absolutely useless
>a handful unlocked significant content/modes and people complained
>mainly a Wii U gimmick
>Animal Crossing line ridiculously overstocked to the point where stores were trying to give them away

>understock popular characters
>scalpers swoop in and ruin everything
>fuck up the restocks by, once again, underproducing everything
>almost like they were TRYING to make scalpers lives easier
>overproduce shit like the Animal Crossing ones, resulting in shelf space being covered in shelfwarmers

It made things a living hell for people who just wanted a figure of characters they liked.

Attached: angery.png (644x2000, 922K)

its ok when nintendo does it

literally overpriced physical DLC

At least the actual figurines are somewhat nice, and sometimes the only merch some characters will get.

Meaningful content got locked behind it. Also AC:Amiibo festival.

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival flooded store shelves with figures nobody wanted, while popular characters were consistently understocked. Retailers got tired of dealing with the full shelves, put them on clearance, and stopped selling them since they were considered a waste of money.

It got to the point that amiibo festival wound up in thrift stores like Poundland, and sold for £5.
That was the Wii U game on disc with both the Isabelle and Digby figurines. I was tempted to grab it just for the figurines, but I already had them.

They're restocking old ones which is cool

I remember all the clearances and sales to get rid of those. My local Target only got 20 Rosalina amiibos when Smash 4 came out, and they instantly sold out to the people who waited outside for them when they arrived. Then, when they launched the Animal Crossing line, Target got 60 amiibos that nobody wanted. They sat there for a year or so, going on clearance multiple times until they were practically giving them away.

>Leaf Land
>Ridley was $25
>AC amiibo's were like $4.

If they sold Isabella seperately, I'd have bought her after she was announced for Smash.

It's gotta be shit like Reese, Cyrus, and Lottie right? Even Kicks, Kapp'n, and Rover are more popular.

Isabelle is going to be the most popular AC amiibo by far, but it's still frustrating that they decided to do a Mabel amiibo without doing a Sable amiibo. They're the Able Sisters, they're a pair.

>understock popular characters
this
I go to best buy and all they have are fucking pacman, ridley, FE shitters and pikachu
Mario? Kirby? Link? DK? Lmao no, let's produce a bunch of unpopular ones!

Pretty much under stocked the the popular stuff overstocked on shit no one wanted.

>tfw Star-Wolf amiibo is in the mail
I will be pic related when it arrives.

Attached: 53832696_849778792036742_3209415634785927168_n.jpg (960x685, 139K)

is that danny phantom?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

That reminds me... are amiibo still a thing?

They were all the rage like 3 years ago. I dont hear about them anymore.

This plus a lot of them were understocked as fuck.

I'm forever salty that I'll probably never own the Samus Returns ones or all the Splatoon 2 ones or even Marie and Callie unless I decided to spend a ton of cash for them or get lucky and come across them for cheap at a flea market or something.

Smash is still getting them, but no other game is getting new ones lately. Some games still support them in small ways.

If you REALLY want to own those, just go on eBay and buy from Japanese sellers. I mean, unless you want them boxed. With English text.

Buying them both is still just under $70.

I'm sorry about your son