Looking back, was it terrifying?

Looking back, was it terrifying?

Attached: 60E227AF-01B0-4922-ADB2-EC3858FA2057.png (640x480, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RNy42Wd9gfI
youtube.com/watch?v=V4xIaLchJ9k
youtu.be/dde7k65iAcI?t=2550
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

that aged well

I remember I used to give the ps1 d-pad shit because it was segmented unlike superior snes d-pad

In first-person games, it still gives me the heebeejeebees to this day. Absolutely mortifying.

yes, console controls are still terrifying for FPS

It was ahead of its time. Games back then had such strange controls, left stick usually moved you forward and back, but also turned you left and right instead of strafing

Why not get a third-party controller where the d-pad isn't segmented? I remember having one of those for the PS2, the d-pad was like modern XBOX d-pads.

The lesson is I was a stupid kid being a console war faggot, when I got my PS1 I was like "this is nice actually"

>The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Everyone hated the controls then, so it wasn't that the twin stick didn't work, it's that this game fucked them up.

Attached: Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 136 November 2000 page 252.jpg (1649x2200, 2.09M)

Change always is

>FPS on a console
it's terrifying

Yes.
Twinstick is slow and inaccurate and also outdated aver since Gyro aiming became a thing.
Too bad its held back by brainlets.

Attached: 1405292205423.png (221x300, 103K)

I fucking love A:R. Last game I had pirated (rented and copied it) before getting a PC capable of vidya. The controls were new but extremely intuitive. Just shows that game "journalists" were always shit at games.

Playing fighting games on the shit segmented dpad was hell on the thumb.

Back then? Dual analog for fps is still shit now!

oh fuck you.

>the best fps ever made is exclusively on consoles.

Attached: Tsfpbox.jpg (220x311, 21K)

That's just an availability issue. It's my favourite fps too but it would be even better on PC

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What's so special about it? Co-op'ed it with a friend during winter holidays and while its content is varied I wouldn't say it aged well

that isn't even the best TimeSplitters, yet alone FPS

how exactly? the ts games are sort of designed for consoles. they don't require overly precise handling and precision aiming.

Man I remember the first FPS game I played with those controls was Timesplitters 1. I kept strafing right into pits. Made me abandon the entire genre until Black came out. Weird in hindsight.

you could make the argument that number 2 is just as good, if not better were it not for FP's superior story mode, even though it's sort of a continuation of 2's template.

after having played the level included with Homefront, he's right, it feels great

First Half Life is a better game than FP. Half Life 2 came out before FP. FP has nothing going for it except le wacky humor

Attached: SBY3ARvZ_400x400.jpg (400x400, 21K)

Powerslave is better which is still console exclusive and EX is a janky port

>half-life
kill yourself unskippable cutscene shitter with broken AI
youtube.com/watch?v=RNy42Wd9gfI

>000

fuck you triples
FP has nothing for it except you being a console kiddy and cringy humor

I beat it to timesplitters 2 as a kid

Attached: ts2.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

i played half life on the ps2 and i don't think it was as good as future perfect. still good though.

yes, aiming without a mouse terrifies me.

trips wasted on a braindead console retard

Absolutely.
To this day I can't wrap my head around how this became the norm.
Playing a FPS with a controller is just painfully sluggish and imprecise.

Attached: re (10).jpg (220x221, 21K)

Based.

Attached: Ts2_screen002.jpg (291x435, 53K)

Attached: jo-beth-casey-cartoon.jpg (620x465, 47K)

trips of truth

>being mad console games are better
wait til you realize consoles games are always better

>Like, gag me with a spoon!

>cats always land on their feet...i always land on my butt.

Why do PC fags hate console shooters for a simple control scheme, it's not like they're unplayable?

concept art of her would-be incarnation in (the cancelled) TimeSplitters 4

Attached: Jo-Beth_Casey.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

the games are bad and the consoletards that post on 4chink have never played these pc fps games in their heyday

Because they're bad at video games. Remember the video of Polygon playing nuDoom with a controller? Dude could barely turn and move, that's because he was a PC gamer playing with a controller. They're just that bad at games.

The only PC shooters I even liked were Doom 1 and 2 and Quake.

those are the only good ones so you're basically covered there. PC gamers like to pretend their platform has more good games than it does, especially their "classics." I've had the misfortune of playing them, they're not good.

imagine not growing up an idort with all consoles, handhelds and PC. Imagine struggling with a form of control input. Imagine.

Attached: imagine.jpg (600x709, 23K)

t. zoomer
no kid back then would have the means to just go and buy a new gamepad

This, I fucking hate the playstation d-pads. It's not even a d-pad, it's four separate buttons somewhat close to each other.

Because the entire genre had to be dumbed down for that control scheme.

It just dumbs down the genre so that even spastic monkeys can enjoy it. I think people hate that itt just diminishes the entire genre for it.

Attached: 3129.jpg (300x300, 24K)

I have heard PC fags say they can't use a controller to play a game, it's not that fucking hard to use, only a mong wouldn't be able to figure it out. PC is faster and more precise for shooters but unless you play online who gives a shit?

did you see how it took literally days for consoles to complete the division 2 raid recently, whereas PC completed it on the day of release? Or how it's been speedran in ~40 minutes on PC, but is still at a handful of hours on console? Gamepads are shite, mate.

Nothing special about it, console players just don't have a proper metric for a genre thats inherently better on pc

Half Life was what dumbed down FPS games with linearity and scripted setpieces and was a PC exclusive.

It's like trying to steer a car with a rod instead of a wheel. It's doable, but why not play with the superior steering wheel?

>N64 gets "lol three hands to use all the buttons" meme
>PC never gets "lol fifty hands to use all the buttons" meme

If you like online shooters sure, but otherwise it doesn't really matter what you use and online shooters are almost always trash anyway.

Because consoles are expected to be easy from the getgo so even the smallest brainlet can enjoy it.

ye, your online comment holds true. Personally, I tend to play isometric or first person with M&K and everything else - namely third person - with a dualshock 4

I think the people who prefer a controller for shooters tend to be Americans or Japs, while Euros and third worlders prefer PCs since consoles have never been popular in those regions.

RTS and isometric games is the ones I will say absolutely requires m&k, using a controller is painful for those.

imagine being a spoiled little dick.

stay mad poorfag

actually, my dad played video games so I got to use them due to that, they were in the lounge/his "office", not my bedroom; I ended up getting my own PS2 when the slim came out, though

Reviewers are all console morons though

Imagine being worthless and poor.

and even then it's irrelevant, as if you're playing an online shooter on a console you're playing against people who are also using controllers.

it's a pc elitist argument.

I use a XIM 4 actually

>mei finally hits menopause

see, so console controls can be just as precise as on pc..

The biggest advantage of PC is mods, but for whatever reason the tech and not the actual game is brought up for arguments, like I don't really give a shit if a game is 30 FPS vs 60 FPS, unless it's inconsistent or dropping below 20, it doesn't matter. Maybe I have a high shit tolerance but whatever.

the argument wasn't platform, it was M&K vs. gamepad

Wow, that pulse rifle sounds amazing!

even 60fps feels slugging to me after three years of 144fps, I honestly wish I could go back to being naive

well obviously. that and certain games have just always has their best versions on the pc, but the whole console fps inferior argument is getting old, i've played fps on pc and on ps2, i didn't find one less playable than the other.

Not at all, the console shooter will always be dumbed down in comparison to a KB+M shooter. Pretty much all console shooters have aim assist.

I wish they still reviewed games based on "ingenuity"

Remember Lifeforce Tenka? Maybe they changed it for the final game, but in the demo:
>doesn't use the analog sticks
>d-pad to move
>r1 to strafe
>R2 to choose weapons
>L1/L2 to look up and down
Shit was awkward as fuck

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 63K)

and yet the argument for fps games being superior on pc is M and K so it becomes a platform argument.

They call it "innovative", "groundbreaking" or "full of water cooler moments"

1ms response times @ consistent 144fps w/ G-Sync means more to me than M&K

You don't know shit, if they were buttons, like the joycons, you would be able to press left and right at the same time, try it.

implying less precise aiming makes a shooter dumbed down.

lmao

we all know you did, Kent

This, it's shitty game mechanics that dumb a game down. I seriously blame Half life for a lot of why fps games have been dumbed down. Valve fanboys will attack me but it's true.

weak bait, my friend. Halo began the dumbing down of shooters, btw. But that's not to say that I don't love Halo, because I do

ah fug this hit me right in the feels. When the world was not full of faggotry

I really don't get how it is bait when Half Life started the cinematic scripted events in shooters along with being extremely linear. I'm being entirely honest here.

i don't even know what the fuck you are talking about.

and there's nothing wrong with that. But for me, the technical excellence that PC can offer truly adds to the experience

yes that, but when you look at half life's level design and environments, it's a game that requires you to be on your toes all the time and thinking fast, and it never really relents.

Have a listen yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=V4xIaLchJ9k

>have you seen this thing about my adhd shooter?
take ritalin and grow up, shooters are for kids.

it was in the context of a conversation about shooters, you fucking retard

I played both joystick and KB+M, joysticks are much better and precise, you computer trannies needs to get good.

Nah, Halo did nothing wrong. Half-Life is a game that's meant to appear cinematic and realistic, no sprawling levels, the worst vehicles ever in a game, HL1's broken AI that constantly breaks itself. Halo 1 isn't great but compared to half-life it's a masterpiece.

>hurrdurr I can point and click faster with a mouse
congrats, doesn't save you from the fact you're playing ubishit and the worst genre known to man.

cope, gamepad shitter

Making a game after that awful movie still gives me nightmares

the variety of interesting and increasingly alien enemies that half life has, the way the levels are built around the outlandish alien invasion, the precise level design meaning that rather than just run around the level you have to go a certain precise way and figure it out fast, that feeling of just scraping by every encounter and surviving by the skin of your teeth.

Controllers unironically made the genre better because it shifted the focus from clicking on heads really fast to using a variety of gadgets and tools.

play something else besides an ADHD point & click and take your meds kid

>Left Analog stick to aim
>Right Analog stick to move
>This cannot be changed

At least it emulates the awkwardness of piloting a mech, but who thought this was a good idea?

Attached: gungriffon-blaze-ps2.jpg (706x1024, 135K)

Tribes would like a word with you

Attached: Tribes-2.jpg (854x1024, 175K)

>poorfags

Attached: Metal_Gear_Solid.png (730x290, 41K)

Steel Battalion is what piloting a mech is really like and it's fucking awkward. Cool as fuck, but awkward.

>the variety of interesting and increasingly alien enemies that half life has,
yeah like drone that dies in 2 shots or hitscan grunt or dog tentacle. How could I forget? Gimmick blue man and gimmick tentacle.
>the way the levels are built around the outlandish alien invasion
an industrial and scientific facility in neglect and disrepair, truly an original setting.
> the precise level design meaning that rather than just run around the level you have to go a certain precise way
linear, and painfully so in other words
>figure it out fast
no you can just kill the guys before they kill you and then push the button and turn around and run back through empty hallways.
>that feeling of just scraping by every encounter and surviving by the skin of your teeth.
maybe if you're shit at games, most kbmshitters are. Half-Lfie is a joke on the hardest setting because the AI is constantly breaking itself. All this flowery prose and pretense and it's still a shit game. You've been fucked by psyops.

git gud. If this can be done on just a d-pad, you've gotta nut up.
youtu.be/dde7k65iAcI?t=2550

Yes. It was absolute trash.

yeah, it felt fucking weird at first
obviously it got better

So it's got the drawbacks of a dpad AND separate buttons but none of the benefits. Great!

it still is, the ultimate pleb control scheme. Imagine making fps for a console, it beggars belief. Game pads are for racing games and side scrollers, not for sticky targeting 'games'

i remember when i first tried playing quake 2 with an analog controller on ps1 and when i set it to control scheme D which was exactly like that (left analog move,right analog look) it felt so comfortable that i didnt even understand why would anyone use the other schemes,i even told my brother about it since we always had regular ps1 controllers,journalists are a fucking joke,have always been and always will,

as a side note,as a kid,i always found that in the megaman X games,remapping dash to R1 was way better than circle because i'd always hold charge fire button,to this day i still think dash should been a shoulder button by default,just my 2 cents

Did this game ever have an appreciable player base? I had it years ago but all I did was play with bots or over lan with my brother. When I tried it again some time later all the servers were empty.

>Try to move an inch to quickly hit a guy
>Thumb stick moves too much and now I'm looking 45 degrees to the right of where the dude was

replying to bait

Attached: 1476802046483.png (736x354, 347K)

I can, but why would I want to?

>implying it matters which face button controls items
>implying Sony controlled design elements for every fucking game on the PS1
I guess game journalists were brainlet faggots even back then.