Linux gaming thread

Now that Linux has games, it can be considered a valid gaming platform.

Will you stay on Windows until Microsoft fucks shit up beyond your level of tolerance or will you be one of the enlightened ones who help build the future of gaming?

Attached: NewTux.svg.png (853x1024, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome
lutris.net/
protondb.com/
appdb.winehq.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
youtube.com/watch?v=_cjfvH9UekA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm staying with Windows until Linux is good for audio work.

>Linux
I'm not a smart guy user

Attached: confusedAnimeGirl1.png (462x496, 274K)

Now we need fully functional windows emulator on Linux

Linux is like less than 1 percent of the total PC gaming market. It's never going to be valid or mainstream.

the gog update doesn't support linux. i am now not supporting gog until the fulfil that promise.

no tux, no bux

>he only does things that are mainstream
hah what a fag

>what is VirtualBox
>what is GPU passthrough

Or you can try convincing shit to work in WINE if it doesn't really absolutely require whole Windows.

can you play siege on it

It's better but still not great. Don't get me wrong, generally speaking I like it more than Windows and would switch right away, but games are still holding me back. And dual booting is a pain.

>Now that Linux has games
too few
>it can be considered a valid gaming platform.
no exclusives = no valid platform
>Will you stay on Windows until Microsoft
yes. Dual boot.

>He only uses platforms that actually get support from developers

I like Linux but there's no reason to use it until it actually has support.

KDE stutters and shits the bed on my intel iris 5200 because I have a retina macbook pro. Windows runs fine but I should try out a different DE that performs well.
protondb.com

>he is arguing in favor of exclusives
look at this consolefag, this is what consoles do to your brain

Sorry but since Epic is going to be taking over gaming you Linuxtards are going to have to go back to jerking off to command lines.

>he doesn't jerk off to command lines
cls yourself

I am a loyal master racer. I play only PC games but still, as long as most games are exclusive on Windows, Linux cant compete. not all games are supported on Wine, dual boot/VM still requires installing Windows

Even Torvalds doesn't support Linux anymore.

Speaking of riceniggers, how come they are willing to put up with Windows? Wouldn't some insect-themed Linux distro be more fitting for them?
Best Korea is already doing it and Second Best Korea is saying they are thinking about it. Why wouldn't chinks also embrace it?

i wast thinking about buying a gamer laptop and running gnu/netbsd or as i like to call it freedos

[citation needed]

>there are people who use a malware OS in order to the small hand full of games that don't run in proton
Are you people serious?

Attached: chadandbetalaughing.jpg (600x532, 40K)

you can read siege on it

so they can use their pirated software on their pirated windows

Remember not to use frankendistros forked by some petty neckbeard in his basement.

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, OpenSUSE, Arch, Gentoo and Slackware are literally all distros that matter.

Attached: 1429189794243.jpg (1000x562, 68K)

You literally listed nothing but frankendistros.

you should run my fork of gentoo from 14 years ago
my implementation of portage didn't look like it was written by a college dropout and you still got to spend your time optimizing ps for your processor

Gpu passthrough is too complicated to make work and requires specific hardware

Depends on where the line is between "well put together" and "badly mashed together"

People seem to be fond of Manjaro lately

Linux in general falls into the latter category and thanks to the CoC it's going to get worse.

>Gpu passthrough is too complicated to make work
Not really. If you're not a brainlet, it's as simple as following a few instructions on the Arch wiki. You can have a working setup in less than 30 minutes.

>and requires specific hardware
Unless you're using an ancient toaster, all modern hardware is going to the able to support it. The only caveat is that you need a second GPU (not technically, but for most intents and purposes you should), which most people will have in the form of an iGPU.

>follow instructions
>it doesn't work
What now?

Does then by your definition most if not all of the software fit into that category?
Are you judging feom the perspective of someone who measures only how software looks or as someone who measures the overall structure.

I like Linux and it's come a ridiculously long way both as a general OS and as a gaming platform (I'd argue that it's honestly 2nd place behind Windows these days, easily ahead of MacOS by a longshot), but it's probably still not quite there for the average normie yet. Proton and its integration into Steam have been enormous leaps forward, and Lutris fills in the gaps really nicely (what with its one-click installs of pretty much anything), but there's still some stuff that isn't 100% of the way there yet. Granted, most of that stuff doesn't have any technical reason for not working, it's just anti-cheat or DRM garbage.

Beyond that, there's still some annoying gripes on the desktop--little things, like the infamous GTK filepicker or Xorg's general jankiness (especially with regards to multiple monitors). At least KDE has been getting really good. I'd like to think everything is going to be in a pretty good spot around the time Win7 support ends. Hopefully Wayland is finally usable.

Figure out why it doesn't work. Yell at freetards for not writing a guide specifically for you.

>Xorg's general jankiness
carry on my Wayland son

>he hasn't been emulating his massive backlog of retro games on Linux since '95
>wanting new games
I'll just be chillin' here with my (S)NES^2GB(A/C)VBPSXGCN64 while you faggots fight this one out.

>follow instructions
>it doesn't work
Then you followed the instructions incorrectly.

Seriously, there is genuinely not much to it. Make sure you have the right software installed. Enable VT-d in your BIOS, enable iommu in your kernel parameters. Reboot. List out your iommu groups. Pass your device ids as a kernel parameter. Reboot. Bam, GPU isolated. Something like that, anyway, I haven't done it in a while.

Then you just set up libvirt, and at that point you can pretty much do everything through the GUI of virt-man. The only real "gotcha" that I remember is Nvidia GPUs not being very happy about being in virtual machines, which just requires you to add a line to the VM's config file to hide the fact that it's in a virtual machine.

I judge based on how well the software performs its function and how focused its development is. Being an open source product, it will never be anything more than a cobbled together hobbyist product due to the inherent flaw with the idea that anyone can contribute without the oversight of asking if they really should.

Until the idea of "distros" is abolished and Linux becomes a single unified product it will never be anything more than an afterthought to the market.

The future of gaming is ps5 though.

People screech and REE so much about Wayland, but I honestly cannot wait for it to become commonplace. Xorg is an antiquated piece of shit that is fundamentally flawed in a number of ways. Wayland might be taking a millennium, and it might not be feature complete as of yet, but it is a far more sensible model at the end of the day. Most of its "flaws" are nothing more than extensions that have yet to be added to the protocol.

I'm staying with Windows until Linux is good for all Japanese games

Attached: 1537270680565.jpg (2025x2296, 313K)

I will switch when Linux gets better hardware support and a better focus on user experience

>Being an open source product, it will never be anything more than a cobbled together hobbyist product due to the inherent flaw with the idea that anyone can contribute without the oversight of asking if they really should.

>what is redhat
>what is chromeOS

honestly linux is practically redhat OS these days, and the existence of different distros really doesn't impact that fact much

>what is VirtualBox
>what is GPU passthrough
expect the vm to crash regularly particularly with old games that fuck with the resolution

FreeBSD wins again.
Actually, for how cheap will PS4s go once PS5 comes out?
Since there is a lot of PS4s out there, I assume there will be no shortage of people selling them after PS5 release.
Since Linux can be installed on PS4 I might even get one then.

I pla, a lot of old games in WinXP VM and I managed to get them all to work without crashing.

>debian

With software from ye olden thymes. Shit is so fucking ancient they find it in pyramids.

>arch
Literally broken and autistic.

>fedora
Just look at the name.

>ubuntu
Kiddy shit and worthless as well as sold out user privacy before.

>gentoo
Literally doesn't work for anything but a hobbyist distro.

>slackware
The only thing slacking here is the coders.

>opensuse
Just a random noobuntu ripoff.

>rhel
Are you rhely serious?

McFucking kill yourself and use a real OS that isn't pozzed and stop caring about MUH VIDEOGAMES, you fucking children.

Attached: 1555698661586.jpg (434x532, 25K)

Or just reinstall Windows and suddenly everything works.

was it a long and convoluted process? I just stopped bothering after a few hours when it became a balancing act of breaking one game to run another

t. Voidbrony

Your post is full of words nobody understands except long-term Linux users, do you really expect someone who's stuck using Windows because they can't do gpu passthrough to say "damn, it was so simple all along!" when none of this shit makes any sense? Every linux guide to do anything is like your post, they always assume everyone has been using linux for 10 years.

Ubuntu isn't just kiddy shit, it's mobile kiddy shit. It hasn't been a desktop OS for years now.

Sure thing Pajeet, here is 0.05 rupees for your convincing post

Using VirtualBox for gaming kek

Git gud faggot

is Slackware not dead?

>When linux doesn't work
You immediately associate every shortcoming with the OS itself (99% of the time rightfully so) because you just installed this thing and are very concious about what's happening.

>When windows doesn't work
You dismiss it as "just computer things" because you've been on this platform for 20 years and long stopped noticing the bullshit it puts you through.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome

My post wasn't intended to be a guide, user. I didn't expect people to understand what I was saying, I was just pointing out (in response to the other user's post) that there aren't a lot of steps, and therefore not much that can go wrong. It all sounds super scary with words like "kernel parameters", for example, but that's just adding 2 phrases into a file. If you want a guide, the wiki pretty much spells out the whole process for you and gives you all of the commands to run. Again, it is seriously not a hard process.

This is why Windows is still the most popular option

>Now that Linux has games
it literally doesnt still

lutris.net/
protondb.com/
appdb.winehq.org/

I can guarantee you that 99% of your favorite games will work flawlessly.

Windows is the most popular option for the desktop because Microsoft was successful in aggressively marketing it and getting widespread OEM support (and denying Linux the same), which ensures it comes preinstalled on every machine. Due to its sizable marketshare, most "industry standard" software is written for it, which, along with specific, legacy software, keeps companies locked in to it. That's pretty much it--it doesn't really have much to do with the technical merits of the system one way or the other. You can slap Ubuntu or something on a laptop and most normies would probably hardly be able to tell a difference. GPU passthrough isn't difficult, but it's still a somewhat technical process, and judging the ease of use of the operating system based on the merits of setting something like that up is pretty nonsensical.

at 24 fps in a 800x600 window maybe

The difference is how frequently the "doesn't work" really crops up for the basic user of a Windows or Linux system. Windows crashes catastrophically but things usually are simpler for a dumb and lazy end user "it just werks".

Fuck off nigger, I can see you won't even entertain the idea. I dropped windows entirely last year and have been playing games without a problem. You'd be surprised at how many games in your steam library will just work without any tweaks.

Games running in Proton / Wine + DXVK nowadays tend to get around 80-85% of Windows-level performance.

(This is referring to graphically intensive games, that is.)

It's not just about crashes and glitches though. Take installing software for example. On windows you go to your browser, google the program you want, download the installer, run setup while looking out for ask toolbars and other shit, and afterwards get pestered with update popups for each individual application you installed.
Spend some time on linux and realize just how much bullshit that is.

Until Linux has something on the level as Visual Studio I'm not going to use it beyond secondary machines for messing around.

Non-neckbeards don't find any of that wiki page understandable.
As long as there isn't some kind of gpu passthrough for dummies guide I will remain on windows, at least it just works.

until linus torvalds sets up my computer and plays my games for me i will continue to allow the nsa to time the delay between each of my keystrokes

Until I can play all my games on linux I will allow the NSA to time the delay between each of my keystrokes indeed. Unlike most people on Yea Forums, I fucking love video games.

do you love league of legends

user nobody on windows installs programs anymore

Just dualboot?

Windows has a habit of breaking dual boots occasionally, I'm not 100% clued in as to the reasons but apparently it's something to do with secure boot sectors or something.

Then how they do anything at all? Surely people don't live with Edge or WMP, or even the default notepad.

No retard, lol isn't the only game you can't play easily on linux.

youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE

Fedora is actually good. The name is dumb tho

Hoping ReactOS will eventually get to the point of supporting dx and replace windows as a whole.

well sure they go and install the barest essentials on install like a new browser but basic-ass users on windows install things so rarely that streamlined installation on linux is meaningless
it's like shilling desktop environment customization, nobody cares about it

>Illiterate people don't find any of that wiki page understandable.
ftfy

Seriously, you are making it out to be a lot harder than it is. It's literally like 3-4 things you have to do, so I wouldn't even be surprised if there are scripts that automate the whole thing. You don't really need to understand anything--it spells it out in the plainest and most robust way possible, really. Just because it "looks scary" doesn't mean it is. You don't really have to understand what you're doing, you just have to be able to follow basic instructions. If you can't, then just stick to Windows. Or use Proton.

Linux is honestly much farther along in accomplishing this than ReactOS is.

Sticking to windows is what I'm doing until someone makes a script or explains it clearly, like you said was perfectly possible.

Whoops, I made that post a little redundant. I think it's time to go to sleep...

Honestly, Proton may end up rendering GPU passthrough pretty pointless in a few years anyway (for gaming, at least).

Only Deb distros count. Because the most programs you can download from official pages are mostly Deb, sometimes also redhat, but nothing more. So the distros what matter are Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Can you actually install mods for linux games? Like the AI high res mod for FFVII for example

I wouldn't imagine so for native stuff, but people do install mods for stuff running in Wine/Proton.

The biggest problem with getting people to move to Linux is that it targets people who like computers rather than people who see computers purely as tools.

The biggest problem is this 2 decade old stereotype that linux = terminal and that using it looks like hacking scenes from CSI. People are simply not aware it's an ordinary desktop.

Yeah, but only if you use AMD video cards.

>2002 memes
nice falseflag

>The biggest problem is this 2 decade old stereotype that linux = terminal and that using it looks like hacking scenes from CSI
Well it's not like the terminal isn't an integral part of it. Ordinary people are always going to find a terminal with commands they have to look up much less inviting than a feature rich GUI with magic buttons, even if it's much more efficient.

Switching to linux just to use it as a windows clone is idiotic. The terminal is the entire point of linux.

>2006-7 Give linux a shot kubuntu/debian
>compiling graphics drivers with reference thru e-links text based web browsers
>hours and hours and hours to get compiz-fusion to work for some wobbly windows and effects
>not worth the trouble
>2010/11 dual booting windows with kubuntu
>Filetables get corrupted
>Well, that's enough of that
>2019, let's give it another shot
>Debian on separate SSD, installs no real trouble
>HOW DO I INSTALL STEAM, not even run games, just steam
>user is not in the sudoers files this incident has been reported
>still have to do this shit through terminal
>still bad reference on how to do it
>su
>adduser user sudo
>half works
>user is not in the sudoers file
>this incident has been reported

Let me know when they figure out basic usablity

12 years ago

Attached: 1485797146061.png (343x543, 3K)

>Install server distro with no intention of making it easy for idiots to use and who refuse to put proprietary software like steam in their repos
>Complain it's not "usable"
Try ubuntu or mint next time you won't need to use the scary black box then.

Attached: serveimage(23).jpg (645x773, 56K)

You miss the part where I've been dabbling with this shit for a decade and listed the exact commands to actually do the shit in terminal and it doesn't work because I didn't jkl; into visudo.

Steam is in the debian repositories disphit

Or, you know, using software that's not all about selling your data to advertisers.

Not even the nerdiest of lifelong nerds can stomach linux.

doesn't Synaptic come installed in Debian?
Why would you then complain about "hurr I had to do all the ugleh command line work" if you refuse to use the tool that is provided to make installing software easy?

Mycroft needs to get developed and integrated into Linux distros by default so that it can hold hands of normalfags who can't find "the blue E the opens the internet"

user, I think you have your chart of Linux adoption turned upside down

Attached: Linus_pilot1.jpg (190x222, 18K)

>not using aptitude
My complaints are twofold: simple, common tasks that can only be done in terminal, and then they don't work

There's technically obscure and then there's needlessly opaque.

The main thing hold Proton back right now is trying to support proprietary apis out-of-the-box. About half the games being listed as broken right now will work one they implement their own mfplat support

>want a modern linux desktop
>my choices are gnome (currently reduced to a baby's toy), KDE (feels like it'll break any moment), budgie (unfinished and it's still mostly gnome) and deepin (ch*nkoid software)

Attached: 1321869543275.jpg (480x465, 44K)

Yeah that's all pretty spot on. GNOME is probably the most polished and stable out of the bunch, but the functionality leaves a lot to be desired. It's honestly not a bad desktop once you get a feel for it, though, and add-ons can help a lot. The much bigger problems are its architectural flaws that make its performance shit, but they've been working on that to the best of their ability recently.

KDE has been getting really good over the past year or so. Nowadays, it's not going to break on you, but it still suffers from a lack of polish in quite a few areas that'll aggravate you. Still, it gets a lot better with every update.

At any rate, the true redpill is using a WM, anyway.

2006-2011, I'll grant you, was a pretty miserable time to be using Linux. I don't think anybody would deny that.

Nowadays, though, you really probably should have given something like Ubuntu, Mint or maybe even Manjaro a try, since those are actually optimized to be user-friendly experiences out of the box. People swear up and down that Debian is a good distro, but it's always just been a bit strange for me.

I'm on KDE because I think it's the best of the 4 I listed and I'll admit it doesn't "break" per se anymore as far as pure functionality goes. But man, does it have frustrating visual glitches sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=_cjfvH9UekA

Oh, and I'd like to add--most Linux installers these days have a checkbox to give the user you're creating administrative rights. The Debian installer is a little more convoluted than the installers on most other distros, so my best guess is maybe it's something you missed. You certainly don't have to go through that rigamarole on, say, Ubuntu.

I think it's easier to dual boot: Windows strictly for gaming, and a real operating system for everything else.

Yep, same thing here, I feel exactly the same way. I'm currently using KDE on my desktop and i3 on my laptop. KDE is probably the only DE where I feel, discounting external software and the terminal, in terms of functionality, it is markedly superior to Windows. Every other DE is more or less fine, but I'd consider them more of a sidegrade, generally speaking.

>But man, does it have frustrating visual glitches sometimes.
This does drive me totally nuts, though. I mean, I'm glad they've at least shifted a lot of their focus to fixing shit like that and making the UI more pleasant now that the desktop is pretty stable and performant.

Make sure you run that shit on separate disks

It's fine to install them both to the same disk as long as you're comfortable repairing GRUB when Windows decides to break it every so often.

Oh, and as long as you don't use disk partitioning tools within Windows that go "lmao whats an ext4"

Just saying, you put linux and windows in the same cage, one will bite the other