Alright, in Japanese her name is pronounced Aerisu. That's how the Japanese say her name. How do they spell it...

Alright, in Japanese her name is pronounced Aerisu. That's how the Japanese say her name. How do they spell it? We're getting to the bottom of this TH retardation.

Attached: aeris.jpg (338x319, 83K)

D-E-A-D
That spells Aerisu

Dear EOP: "su" can signify either s or th. For example Griffith = Gurifisu. I have no stake in this either way because FF7 is overrated trash but the localization isn't wrong.

It's Aerith you faggot get over it.

Then if it can be either one, shouldn't it be the one that doesn't sound retarded? Shouldn't it be the one closest to the way the Japanese themselves pronounce it?
Aeris is closer to Aerisu than Aerith is

S and th are pronounced the same in Japanese so you can can consider her Japanese name to be aeris or aerith. Her name in Japanese is a pun for the Japanese word for 'earth' which also ends in the ambiguous s/th in Japanese. The problem is that in English the only correct translation is aerith. That's the only way that the earth pun works in English which it is supposed to. Sephiroth was correctly translated even though his Japanese name ends with s/th. Aerith and sephiroth were supposed to have names that were similar as at one point in the story we are led to believe that they are both ancients. Get BTFO ps1 nostalgia zoomer. It has been completely confirmed as aerith for years and has even explicitly been stated numerous times that it's not a retcon but rather the translation of her FF7 PS1 was a mistranslation and mistake. FF7 on PS1 was mostly done by only 3 people who made many. You have no leg to stand on other than 'b-but muh childhood memories'

Neither is closer. S is pronounced differently in Japanese.

secondaries and weebs can kill themsevles.
this is the first time i've ever been called a zoomer. oh my god, thank you.
There is no version of FF7 where her name is Aeris. None. Even after they went back and fixed stupid translation errors like "This guy are sick". Her name remained Aeris. Because that's her name.
>But Kingdom Hearts-
Kill yourself

Attached: 1494637083792.png (474x451, 423K)

Square decided it was romanized Aerith even before the game came out in English. You could get figures and wallscrolls in Japan among other goods that had her name written out.

>There is no version of FF7 where her name is Aeris.
Well all things are they should be then.
Aerith is the correct spelling, moving on.

Literally has been confirmed to be aerith, nice denial. Was credited as aerith in advent children and crisis core too. They didn't change her name in the re releases because changing the naming systems default name take a lot more effort than most script changes it would mean messing with the character input system.

The original intention was for her name to be similar to "Earth". There's no "th" sound in Japanese. The original translators were unaware of this and directly translated it as Aeris. This was fixed in later releases.

Please see

>There is no version of FF7 where her name is Aeris.
That's every international copy tho

Attached: strut.jpg (768x1024, 162K)

>"What is more important? A translation that sounds good? Or a pun?"

Translation that sounds good every fucking time. Literally 90% of the time that anime or manga is translated, this stupid shit gets replaced with either a actual joke that fucking sucks, or as it should be, removed and replaced with nothing. So Aeris is correct because it sounds better, isn't a stupid fucking pun, and in all the revisions on typos and errors for the game, her name remained the same.

I refuse to call her Aerith until we start calling him Thephiroth.

Attached: Sephiroth-FFVIIArt.png (1680x1200, 1.12M)

Aerith is correct, but Aeris is better.

Her name is based on the word Earth you dumb fuck.

And according to your logic, the villain should be named Sephiros.

Nobody tell the anti-"Aerith" dudes how Norse gods' name is actually pronounced

Se and su are different kana you fucking mongoloid. And you're ALREADY calling him by the exact same rules as Aerith. If Sefirosu is SephiroTH, then why isn't Earisu AeriTH? Imagine being this fucking dense.

エリス
Eris

Aerith is pronounced Earth.

Find me a word that ends with "-rith"

that's a lie.

When I bought my copy of FFVII International, that was one of the first things I checked. I opened up the instruction booklet, and saw this.

I dunno what to believe anymore. ;_;

Attached: IMG_2404.jpg (3264x2448, 1.35M)

Aerith

retard

This doesn't mean anything. You might as well say Bartz should be called Butz.

What looks good to the Japanese eye is often not acceptable for English speakers. Nips do not understand English pronunciation rules, which is why they cannot ever be relied on as the "word of god" when it comes to official names.

What's important in an English translation is that the names make sense and seem believable.

Find me another one.

Isn't it supposed to be a combination of Air and Earth

No

Brith.

Attached: rabbi glickman.png (768x576, 456K)

The OP appears to be under the assumption that it should be Aeris because Aerith sounds stupid and we should pronounce the name as close to the Japanese version as possible.
What OP doesn't know is that he's completely correct. Only retards and zipperfaggots call her Aerith.

Damn, Aerith was a jew all along. No wonder she charges you for the flower.

>If Sefirosu is SephiroTH, then why isn't Earisu AeriTH?
Because that isn't how English works. Sephiros would actually work better as a name than Aerith, but it adds a weird Greek slant to the whole thing that's better off being avoided, in the same way that Aerith adds an awful gibberish slant to the name that's best avoided. You are not "more Japanese" if you call her Aerith. You're just retarded.

Earisu = Earth

It’s earisu you retard

They're only one gil, user. Cheapest prostitute ever. Jew girls are all about the sex, not the money.

>We're getting to the bottom of this TH retardation
This has already been discussed to death in the two decades the game has been out. You're not a ground-breaking pioneer.

These guys are literal the dumbfucks who petitioned the translation of the wild arms 1 remake to not “change” (ie fix) the names

Why do they keep talking about this? It was obviously Aeris all along, holy shit let it die

It's going to be funny when the game comes out and everyone calls her Aerith. The tantrums you autists will be throwing all day long will be priceless. They already are, really.

Alright, in Japanese his name is pronounced Sephirosu. That's how the Japanese say his name. How do they spell it? We're getting to the bottom of this TH retardation.

Attached: (OP).jpg (683x989, 186K)

the thing here is the sufix "th", which is incredibly common on the Hindi languaje, Sephiroth (The Tree of Life) is actually from the Habalah.

Niggeroth

Just throw out all the retarded jap fantasy names and start over.

Cloud = Bob
Tifa = Lina
Barret = Jim
Aeris = Sandra
Sephiroth = Chris

Ignoring the embarrassing mistake in your post, there is a version of FF7 where her name is Aerith. The remake.

Square Enix doesn't usually change names in ports. It's still Crono instead of Chrono in all the Chrono Trigger ports. But for this remake they did it, and only a complete autists would keep insisting on Aeris at this point. She's been Aerith for 15 years already, which is twice as long as she was Aeris. It's time to grow the fuck up and stop being a petulant child in the body of a man aged 30+.

Claude
Tiffany
Barret
Ashley
Cervantes

And dissidia, theaterythm, ffxiv minion, the DoC manual, etc. Literally anything SE localized themselves has it as Aerith. SCEA were the ones who cocked up. What's funny is that the internal ID in ff7 is still Aerith too. And there's a little trick you can do to skip her normal naming screen so it'll default to her actual ID and come up as Aerith too.
It's voiced too, so no one's renaming anyone this time.

His name ends with a su, the same kana as Aerith. This has already been explained to the retards many times, along with all the other proof that Aeris was a mistranslation. They won't listen, which is good, because it will make it fun to see them squirm when the remake comes out.

That's the French (or Spanish?) localization I guess.

Yeah, they never changed Terra to Tina in anything either. That's because Tina to Terra was a name change, while Aerith to Aeris was an error. You fix mistakes, not deliberate changes.

>rather the translation of her FF7 PS1 was a mistranslation and mistake. FF7 on PS1 was mostly done by only 3 people who made many
FF7 has a lot of mistakes, but Aeris pretty blatantly isn't one of them. It's the only reasonable way to render her name in English.

Changing something doesn't make it right, though. There are plenty of mistranslations that have been fixed later, even names, and almost nobody takes issue with them. Aeris is such a divisive topic because Aerith sounds utterly retarded, and it's very blatant that no native English speaker was even consulted on the matter. Only braindead weebs who think that the chosen Japanese people can make no mistakes and do no wrong actually defend this awful, awful choice.

Do you start complaining about how retarded the word sounds whenever anyone talks about the Earth? How about people named Edith or Judith, do you complain about their names too?

I wonder if they’ll fix the bigger mistakes like Sepher Sephiroth though

It's obviously Ealice.

It was changed because Erriff sounds bad and Eris sounds good. But we'll see how they do in the remake.

I'm sure there will be a mod to "correct" this terrible "mistake" so why you faggots still bitch and moan about a non issue is beyond me.

Probably complains about guys named Gareth too.

They do sound like outdated names desu
Why are people blindly accepting Square's decision on the name, anyway? Do we like Square now?

Attached: cloud ponder.png (176x192, 26K)

Now awaiting the hardcore fan-approved "restoration patch" for the FF7 remake, where any voiced mention of the name Aerith is replaced by a Microsoft Sam reading of Aeris.

No, because those names are proper names and not fantasy made up retarded names. Also they are very outdated names and hardly ever used today so there's that too.

Gareth is literally so outdated it's used in medieval and fantasy movies.

I would have actually assumed Sephiroth was written Sefirotto, but I guess not

So you're telling me... a fantasy game... has names that sound weird or outdated? That can't be right!

It's still a common name in England. The US mutilates it to Garth, but that's the US for you.

Well of course, England is the most fantasy medieval setting there is.

So wait, those names are OK because they're real names and not fantasy ones... but they're also specifically used in fantasy movies because of how they sound... and this game is called Final FANTASY... hmmmmmmm

No, you retard. I'm talking about actual people named Edith or Judith. And FF7 is far from medieval so it wouldn't be appropriate there either.

Man, you really do have autism don't you. Everything in this thread is just flying over your head, it's almost cute.

If only. That would however require a modicum of self awareness.

>tfw choco bill, choco billy and chole are actually "gurin" "gurin gurin" and "kurin"

>actual people named Edith or Judith
those are literal boomer trash. I wish all you old niggers would die already. "Aerith" is cringe as fuck. Please just die of old age already

Look at all these butthurt merkins totally unable to accept that if the rest of the world does one thing and they do another, it might just be them in the wrong.

It's fucking soccer all over again.

>Cringe as fuck

Way to talk like a gay teen.

Thorry Americunth, theemth like you faggoth are wrong.

Gay teens rule the Earth now. Your time is over, old man. Nice reddit spacing desu

They're interchangeable, the same as L and R. There's no distinction between the two, but it doesn't mean it's always one or the other. It's down to the individual word and the intention of the creator. Words that contain them are usually based on foreign languages, like the name Erizabesu is obviously Elizabeth. The writers have stated multiple times that Earisu was supposed to sound like Earth.

i don't care if they call her Nigger, as long as they don't touch Tifa's tits.

tl;dr version: Aeris is correct, anyone that tries to force Aerith on you is a faggot, even if the remake has "Aerith".

TH is the actual misstranslation or rather, unneeded. The final part of her name has the "ス" or Su Kana, and most of the time, the "U" in ス gets dropped, thus you have Aeris. The only reason it continually actually gets said Aerisu is because phonetically the Japanese cannot pronounce it comfortably any other way.

People only hopped on the TH bandwagon because of later bad localizations. It TECHNICALLY can be either, depending on how you favor looking at it, but it was never wrong in the first place, that's just idiots weebing because Japanese works different than English. The original localization team got it correct.

t.weeb.

Attached: always mad af.png (1189x669, 1.19M)

Idiot.

This kind of thinking leads people to think "Safer" Sephiroth is correct.

Provide an argument. Waiting this long to reply doesn't mean you've disproven anything, faggot.

Attached: quackthetic.png (1031x904, 594K)

>Waiting this long to reply doesn't mean you've disproven anything, faggot.
Why do you think I'm "waiting to reply"? Could it be that you're the kind of person who is mashing refresh autistically? Maybe I just opened the thread just recently.
>Provide an argument
Authors have intent. They may not get the intent across if it has to go through bad translation. It's not "safer" sephiroth, it's sepher because of the Kabbalah theming.
It's Aerith because the intent is the Earth connection.

Attached: marisa is disgusted.jpg (426x462, 32K)