So real talk, why did Origins get so much hate? So far it seems pretty similar to City...

So real talk, why did Origins get so much hate? So far it seems pretty similar to City, yet dumbass reviewers as usual gave it 20% less points simply because it wasn't by rocksteady.

Attached: arkham origins.jpg (460x215, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/qm0yR
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm wondering too since I never played it.

I played it last so i was annoyed that it was a prequel

that's on me though , game was alright

>Same map as City so it felt like an expansion pack
>Weak story
>It's the Joker again
>They couldn't get the real voiceactors so it plays like a weird non canon elseworld Arkham City

it was more buggy than city and the combat felt a little off but i wouldn't say that it was bad, knight was utter shit tho.

the crime scene recreation mechanics were the best addition.

>mfw didn't heed the warning and play arkham knight
>batmobile, batmobile, batmobile, and more batmobile
bad entry to end the series

Attached: Untitled2.png (360x365, 133K)

It's bloated version of City. Journos are retarded hypocrites that gave it a lower scores because "it's the same as City" but I do think it's inferior and a looser experiences compared to the Rocksteady games
>bloated in sense of everything is bigger for little reason. There's no need for the second island to exist.
>literally adding Ubisoft towers
>story has the potential to be great (and in many ways it still has some of the good stuff) but they self sabotaged themselves by making it about Joker again and ditched the cool idea of hunting villains
>their idea for harder combat is by throwing more enemies and also ruining it by giving you shock pads
>bugs and glitches

The bridge was the worst addition

It's not terrible, but it does feel like a rehash, coming off of arkham city. They didn't do enough that made it feel like it's own game.

The glue grenades were even just a reskinned freeze grenade

Batmobile bad.

Attached: 1539591476035.png (416x435, 114K)

Batmobile good
Batmobile levels bad

I think Origins had the best Bane in the series.

Slade was the best thing about it for me

best boss fight...well the only good boss fight in the arkham games lol

Mr Freeze was pretty cool

I kinda found it annoying how he tells you should try something else lol

Gives it away a bit, but it at least makes it so you actually have to do more than just one technique

the best boss fight was the excavator fight.

City Mr Freeze and Origins Firefly were also really good.

wayyyy too much fighting

the cool thing about the bam ham series is how it keeps throwing different stuff at the player at semi-regular intervals - you have combat, stealth, puzzles (driving in the case of knight), none of which are terribly deep but since the games keep juggling them you don't really notice

origins just has you punch dudes most of the time and the few predator segments it has (seriously there's like what, three or four in the whole game?) feel like an afterthought so it gets stale a lot faster, especially after you get the shock gloves

>fast travel
>fast travel stations that can't be unlocked until late game
>the same map with a winter tone and a slightly new corner of the map
>the worst bane origin story
>the bad guy's just fucking joker again
>the bat-glue-grenade

The martial artists were cool tho, deathstroke's boss is pretty great too

something something cope tranny

Origins is a great game

>Adapts parts of The Killing Joke and Mad Love.
>It has the best story out of any of the Arkham games. Don't listen to people crying "muh Blackmask"
>one-on-one boss fights
>properly adapts Bane. Rocksteady's version is shit
>Roger Craig Smith is amazing as Batman. As much as I love BTAS, Kevin Conroy sounds bored in the Arkham games
>Batman actually moves into a combat stance in combat
>Animations for Batman's finisher will change depending on the direction you engage the enemy. In the Rocksteady games, that enemy is getting punched in the face or punched in the nuts because its always the same animation. Origins avoids the nut punch by providing a different animation where Batman breaks the guy's ribs
>character designs are better in Origins
>Batman's crime scene investigations are fantastic
>It has the best piece of DLC for the series. Cold, Cold Heart. It's not great, but still better than anything RS did.

That said, here are some of the negatives:

>The open world map kind of sucks
>Batman's skill tree railroads you down a path with very little freedom
>Troy Baker as Joker isn't bad, but he does sound like an impression of Mark Hamill
>Riddler is just kind of there. I didn't have any motivation to actually complete all of the riddles this time.

Oh i remember the DLC it was glitched so i looked on youtube you had to use a glitch to proceed and i never finished it

that might be a factor in the bad scores

>the bat-glue-grenade
Can you sniff it?

Attached: Lord Humungus.jpg (478x253, 22K)

While I never had any problems, I guess a lot of people did run into some issues in Origins>

It didn't help that WB Montreal said it wouldn't be focusing on single player bugs. All of its further efforts would be going toward the multiplayer.

Arkham City wasn't good. Asylum and Knight are the 2 good games

It has its highlights. The side missions are by far the best part of the game, including the DLC ones.

City is one of the only good open world games because it doesn’t feel like one.

Nah City is shit, the world is gay and about an hour in you realize they just have you going to retarded checkpoints that segment gameplay.
>Have to go anywhere
>Go through a door barring off the city from whatever you're doing
Knight does a better job at this and asylum makes more sense doing this because it's a prison

That was good though since it actually felt like real levels, felt similar to how Zelda does an open world before BotW

Batmobile was in Knight

What DLC do I need to buy?
The multi is dead and I don't care about challenges and skins.
And why it is never on sale?

I'm not a fan, if your world is open then it needs to interact with itself, Harvey dent chilling in the Arkham city courthouse untouched by anything else is dumb. Gordon just casually chilling in a library because there's 2 doors you have to open is also stupid

>recycled the basic map assets from City
>had less actual content since it actually blocked off some areas that could be explored in the previous game
>had less content because it didn't have alternate characters to play
>introduced stupid bugs/sloppy mechanics that weren't in the previous games
>menu/UI was sloppy as fuck on PC, was obviously only designed for a gamepad, also not a problem in previous games
>less characterization and weaker villain cameos than previous games, you spend most of the game fighting no-names that only comic book readers would recognize
the game was a disappointment and completely unnecessary. the definition of a soulless cash grab. and it wasn't just the fact that the devs weren't rocksteady, but that everyone from the original production team (from TAS), including the writers and the VA cast, were gone. it was really that, not so much rocksteady itself, that made the original game so good. TAS remains the single best adaptation of Batman and they had successfully converted it into a modernized video game. now, there's just a tired combat engine with the usual excuses for progressing from A to B. even bringing rocksteady back for Knight couldn't fix that

TBQH Origins was a great Arkham game.
The design fixed some of the major flaws in Arkham City (one on top of my mind is the use of the Batplan to move in quikcer to some points of the city).

The real bad thing is that they had not all the money of the world and a few boss battles ended up being just some cinematic video of Batman fighting, not actual gameplay.

Imho it's the best of the Arkham games from a design point of view, very balanced, with a lot of corrections even in the fighting sequences and a great vibe of that "not so expert" Batman. Sure is a better game than Arkham Knight and City for different kind of reasons, but the real killer of the Arkham series was allways the fact that outside of the island of Arkham Asylum, the away you can move Batman in the map never felt good like any other Spiderman game, to use an example.

I prefered the smaller size of Arhkham Asylum.

Have you ever been inside a building before? They tend to isolate you off from the outside. That's kind of their purpose

I don't really understand this complaint

Cold Cold Heart, that's it

In origins defense, the alternate characters shit was lousy

Arkham Asylum felt like a rare 3D metroidvania and has the strongest level design in the series

Why would you need a sale when it's like $2 on g2a

>Gangs of rapists and criminals roaming around the city
>THEYLL NEVER FIND ME IN AN UNLOCKED PUBLIC LIBRARY ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THEY ONLY HANG OUT IN THE SAME LOCATIONS UNDER STREET LAMPS!
you aren't very bright.

incredibly buggy and I can usually put up with a lot of shit byt the pc version is an absoolute disgrace
doesn't add anything to the series just shit we seen before (at least knight improved the combat even if the batmobile is controversal and tried for different story beats (even if again probably wasn't very successful))

That's the point.

I loved that metroidvania mix with Batman.
The later iterations of the series loses that feel, even if in the end is allways there, but more frustrating.

City is easily better than Knight overall. I found Knight's side missions more memorable and meatier, but the main mission's story is a mess and corresponds to some of the weakest game design in the series on top of it. At its best Knight is absolutely as good as Asylum and City, but at its worst it's a bloated and unpleasant.

City feels like a 3D Zelda game almost to me but with less developed dungeons so I liked how it wasn't a typical open world game either. I like Origins but it feels more formulaic in terms of open world design. I haven't played Knight yet.

oh damn, almost forgot
>shoehorned multiplayer bullshit
>gets shut down and strands players on achievement progress

Unless you are on xbox, where the servers randmoly came back online like a year ago

>Weak story
I thought it had a better story than the other Arkham games, but I guess that's not much of an accomplishment.

I don't recall the specifics but I remember finding the combat worse than City.

Origins had the best boss fights overall in the series

-Janky
-Low framerate
-Buggy as fuck
-Same map as City but with less to do and fewer interiors to visit
-No Riddler puzzles

Apart from that it's legit. From a gameplay standpoint it's easily the weakest of the Arkham games but it probably has the best story and characterisation.

Attached: tumblr_m87udiNC9i1qz9qooo1_1280.jpg (1103x1440, 204K)

I thought it was better, you could also turn off hints and you'd have to actually look for when to do combos and not just blue pointers. Really fun desu.

More like $8

LITERALLY only because it wasn't made by Rocksteady.

That's it.

>Joker again (but for some reason that didn't bother them in Knight)
>No real gameplay changes (i know it's not a very good reason but it being a prequel and developed by a different studio prevented that)
>Half the map was a reskinned city

I feel like making the game use most of City's map really hurt it in the end. I think the devs would have been better off making the game a smaller scaled metroidvania-like similar to Asylum.

Attached: 1556256472192.jpg (572x621, 104K)

Joker wasn't the villain in Knight and is handled probably the single best way to ensure he is in the game while not participating too much in the main story.

Correction: under $2

Attached: _20190523_023009.jpg (1200x1093, 113K)

It still had a pretty small map though for an open world game and it at least felt like it had content.

>Joker again (but for some reason that didn't bother them in Knight)
Oh it gets better than that
'Origins is a subpar game because it reuses the joker as the game's main antagonist when batman has an amazing rogues gallery of villains to choose from'
'It makes total sense for Arkham Knight to feature the Joker, the arkham series has always been about the special relationship between Batman and the Joker. If anything not having him in Knight would eb a travesty'

-Actual conversation I have had with someone

>I remember finding the combat worse than City
I felt the same, and it's mostly because they made it were you can't interrupt your own attack animations to counter another enemy. Makes the whole thing feel clunky. They also did that annoying shit where enemies will "lock on" to you when they've reached a certain point in their attack animation and will literally slide across the ground in order to hit you when you've moved out of their attack range. Mad Max suffered from the same issue.

Really tired of this meme. All of Origins' boss fights were extracted from the Ra's fight in City.

imgur.com/a/qm0yR

For some odd reason, Origins has the most vocal supporters. I'm convinced it's the people who prefer the Nolan "WHERE IS HE?!" Batman as opposed to the BTAS version these games emulated from the beginning.

Attached: BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20171001214128.png (1920x1080, 3.99M)

I know everyone is burnt out on bamham combat but I'd kill for a rocksteady Batman Beyond game

> All of Origins' boss fights were extracted from the Ra's fight in City.

Nothing wrong with that honestly.

What I wished the series did were more Mr Freeze City boss fights

Yeah, now that you mention it I think that might have been it.

Dude, like 90% of the main story bosses were fucking batmobile fights. The tank fight against Deathstroke ends in a fucking QTE.

The common mugger isn't going to pursue Batman. That's like chasing after the cops. If they even think he's real, they're all terrorfied of him because he leaves broken bodies in his path. Direct quote from Origins:

>Not "may be"! I am! When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice-that is fear. That is what I am! That is why they hired assassins-because I am the reason the criminals breathe easier when the sun rises. So no, Alfred - I am NOT in over my head! Tonight won't be my end. But it will be theirs!

Arkham Knight is my favorite. It has so many villains, I love the story (I know the twist wasn't a good one) and the gameplay is the best in the series. The car stuff didn't bother me that much even though tere is admittedly too many drone fights

They don't let you go inside buildings if there are criminals right outside. If you were down the street and saw Batman go inside a building, you probably wouldn't want to follow him. Not only is it retarded to sneak up on him but whatever supervillain he happens to be fighting will most likely brutally murder you while Batman laughs.

Knight is the ultimate pleb filter. People love to complain about the Batmobile but if they were actually good at the game, the tank combat doesn't take long and can be more fun than the brawling.

this. I think I wasn't bothered by it because I bougth the game a year later and since everyone complained about drone fights I invested a lot of early points into Batmobile upgrades so most Drone fights were done in under a minute

Actually kind of bummed out that the condiment King didn't show up as a joke fight.

Attached: 1555987606208.png (672x752, 927K)

If it didn't focus so much around it I would have been fine with it. Also, despite the amount of villains, nothing interesting is done with most of them. Penguin's is a rinse and repeat sneak in, fight baddies, close vault cycle, Two-Face is the same predator cycle, Man-Bat is just run into him then find his lab, etc. etc.

I didn't hate the game, I just wish there was some better focus in some areas.

He literally caused the main story by dying though. Everyone wants to be the new craziest supervillain now that he's gone. He also created the Arkham Knight. He might as well be the villain because he's the only that actually makes any progress in slowing Batman down and he's technically the final boss once again. Scarecrow and the Knight are fucking retarded and got lucky that Batman has the Joker in his head and that that's the only reason he can't operate at 100%.

that was clickbait reviewers like jim sterling using their review to try and make a statement.
the deal was origins represented a shift, WB was doing what call of duty did which is have two devs working on the series at the same time, an A team and a B team making games that could be released every two years. on top of that they had announced day 1 dlc and day 1 season pass which was not common at the time so they viewed it as turning the game into a dlc delivery system.
so to protest it the "journalists" decided to unfairly review bomb the game to make an unrelated point. you know they thing that in current year the very same game journos cry about on steam when users do it.

To be fair the combat system they created for Batman isn't suited well for boss fights. Combined with the fact that most of the villains are just normal humans, who Batman would easily overpower in hand-to-hand.

another thing about origins i think no one mentioned yet is the overall feeling of cheapness

like how plank walls you can punch through and concrete walls you have to blow up have their models swapped and they never bothered to fix it

it's a perfectly functional game, but rife with stuff that just screams second-rate

But the other games managed to handle the encounters much better I think. Knight always felt like it was just trying to push me to the next encounter with tanks.

you are very right about the wasted side quest villians. i am one of these who think the batmobile complaints are over done (maybe virtue of playing it with mouse and keyboard). I think asylum is probably the best because of the tighter focus but in terms of the feel and flow of combat I think knight is the best.

I think it was mostly due to being buggy. It still has the best writing and boss fights from the Arkham game.

The tank was just the big thing they wanted to market and make the selling point for Knight, essentially calling the game "the ultimate Batman experience". And don't forget people were getting tired of Batman games after Origins released saying they're just rehashing them for a quick buck. I'm just glad Rocksteady said they're moving on from the series at this point.

As much as I agree that docking a game for unrelated points is unnecessary it is right to call out the shitty practices they were partaking in from Arkham City onwards (DLC locked behind new copies, season passes etc).
On the topic of review bombing by professional outlets one of the worst examples I can think of was the Korra game Platinum Games developed. I played it and felt that it was a perfectly fine action game that ran well and felt sort of like Bayonetta-lite, yet you wouldn't know it from all of the "professional" reviews that gave it scores on par with some of the shittiest games of all time because it wasn't what they were hoping for. They just magically forgot the type of game Platinum usually developed (short, sharp beatemups, usually) and got butthurt that it didn't fulfil their ridiculous expectations, not to mention they found it too difficult. I have no idea what they were expecting for a $15 downloadable title but it sure as hell shouldn't have been something like LITERALLY MASS EFFECT IN KORRA or something. You can't get the game anymore though so I guess they won; one of the joys of the digital only age that all of these publishers want.

Copy pasted way too much, the story promised to be joker free and ended up reneging on that which annoyed people, the map had a lot of invisible walls for no reason which made moving about a pain. It was fairly buggy at launch albeit nothing close to Arkham Knight, the story was fine but isn't enough to save it. I thought it was okay but a poor sequel because of how much it lifts from the previous game.

>You can't get the game anymore though
what? how come

Its been delisted due to the license expiring. You can still download it if you bought it but yeah DIGITAL ONLY GUYS GOTTA LOVE IT.
The only genuine option now is to pirate it.

the license only lasted 5 years or something? bonkers. yeh fucking absolute state of digital only distribution

It had some progression breaking bugs. The game on release was just a bug fest in general.

That's the game, what I need is the DLCs.

Aah my mistake
just pirate it

Because Activision