ITT: Greatest localizations

Only the best allowed

Attached: Screenshot_20190521-081510~2.jpg (1066x873, 361K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OA62q1STU4A
youtube.com/watch?v=gkNyBx-4zUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For real what is he actually saying? I can't make it out for the life of me

No doubt youse all ken whit it is I want tae talk tae youse aboot.

Something like
>No doubt you all know what it is I want to talk you about
"ken" is a Scottish word meaning "to be in the know."

11 used "into the bargain" in skill descriptions and i thought it was an error for 60+ hours

ken = know

Is that Scots?

Is this real?

Attached: 1550254204946.gif (219x254, 1.81M)

Is that real? What game? Looks braw

Yes

DQ localization is bonkers since VIII got popular. Apparently the localizer think people like their funny memes

Attached: announce-ds-e.png (512x384, 58K)

>Tfw got a mate from Buckie in Scotland, basically heartland for this kind of east Scotland accent
>Only pick up 35% or so what he's saying and have to translate in my head on the fly

I love their funny memes though.
Honestly saddens me to think that the jap version of DQVII on the 3DS doesn't have different accents for all the island.

Haha fukin bawbag pal

>since VIII
Nigger it's been like this since Dragon Warrior 1

So what happened was DQ8 had voice acting so even with the accents you could at least tell what the hell people were saying. Accents are meant to be heard, not read. When they localized all the text-only games they put the accents in anyway, and that gives you shit like this.

I fucking hate that accent

This one area that is the only area everyone ever posts pics of is the worst of it and even it is far from unreadable, at worst mildly jarring.

Ahh right, I remember playing this game on DS. Dropped it couple hours in because I couldn't fucking understand what they were saying.

Ah yes, the based ds Dragon Quest localisations destroying ESL shitskins and working them into a third world emulated seethe

If this is the way we're going about it, Breath of Fire 3s Dolphin scene is the best scene in anything ever
youtube.com/watch?v=OA62q1STU4A

DQ5 was just as fucking bad the whole way through. I couldn't even understand what the final boss was going about half the time.

Attached: stupid shit.jpg (640x480, 105K)

>it is far from unreadable, at worst mildly jarring.
It is unreadable for the barely literate.

>that one time localizers inserted tons of lewd jokes into the video game adaption of a little girl's anime

Attached: 1538853160130.jpg (908x984, 253K)

The dwarves in the german version of FF9 had a bavarian dialect

what does ryu mean in bagpipe?

i went to square enix's booth at a job fair and they were literally looking for people with good writing skills rather than people who are good at japanese. they dont give 2 shits about the accuracy of the translations

holy fuck the first snl reference I see in a game that's the last time I play that game and any other game in the series

You haven't seen kino localizations until you've seen the dub for the first Legend of Heroes game.
What a fucking trainwreck, most people don't even believe it's official
youtube.com/watch?v=gkNyBx-4zUo

Attached: 250px-Loh1_Dragon_Slayer_The_Legend_of_Heroes.jpg (250x251, 24K)

its a shortened version of are you

The English translation of FF7 gave all the characters life. In the japanese version they are very sterile and bland.

da fuq

in the JP version he used a Kansai dialect, switching to Australian was a great way to keep the joke alive

Octopath Traveler... Kino...

Attached: based improvement.jpg (1019x412, 120K)

Being ESL is suffering

They had a job offering for translators up for some time a year or two back and you had to submit a fucking fanfic as part of the evaluation process

No wonder all their games are shit

like a fanfic written in japanese?
cause that makes a lot of sense that they'd want to see your comprehension
why is this weird to you?

No, in English only. The language requisite for Japanese was JLPT N3 or something equally shitty.

Knowing the end language is more important than knowing the source language.

Hey now, that's a pretty good JRPG script for 1991.

Attached: Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes [U][SCD][TGXCD1029][Falcom][1992][PCE][thx-1138-darkwater]-0028 (864x696, 247K)

Attached: Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes [U][SCD][TGXCD1029][Falcom][1992][PCE][thx-1138-darkwater]-0103 (864x696, 254K)

no it's not

Sure it is, unless we're talking literature or something then end readability matters more than the source material.

If it's anything like Treehouse, the actual translators and the localizers are two different teams.
The translators come up with a straight translation and hand it to the localizers, who proceed to change everything.

literally all

The Scottish accents are rough in DQ games, but I genuinely like the rest of them and they add a lot of color to the world. Alena's Russian accent is adorable and no amount of shitposters can make me think otherwise