With the exception of a handful of games, we can all agree that JRPGs are really, really bad, right?

With the exception of a handful of games, we can all agree that JRPGs are really, really bad, right?

>Turn based combat
>Excessively slow-paced plot
>Every JRPG has the exact same party character archetypes
>Relies on party interaction and an awful plot over gameplay and sustenance/depth
>Always looks atleast 2 generations behind in graphics

Attached: ACFA7DDA-2F55-4248-91D5-E276F50FF428.jpg (1280x720, 227K)

THEY
AREN'T
BOOM
BOOM
DODGE ROLL
GAME

Attached: saix.png (500x500, 22K)

That doesn’t refute any evidence I posted. Try again.

>Not BING BING WAHOO

>Turn based combat
What's bad about this?
What's bad about this?
Have you played every JRPG?
>Relies on party interaction and an awful plot over gameplay and sustenance/depth
But most of the time spent in JRPGs is killing monsters in menu-based combat systems.
And make up for this by having much better artstyles than their hyper-realistic competitors; most JRPG studios don't have the cashflow to make state of the art games.

>filename
Why do phoneposters always make embarrassing threads?

Attached: shinji mug.jpg (600x677, 47K)

Yikes.

>Turn based combat
good
nope
nope
literally exactly the opposite is true. JRPGs are usually the best looking games of their gen.

The only thing I can agree with is that all phoneposters should be banned on sight.

>meanwhile Final Fantasy was famed for pushing the graphical boundaries so far that they got a CG movie just to show off(that was a piece of shit but that's not really detracting from the point)

Oh, you're just shitposting. I gave you the benefit of the doubt since your OP seemed sincere. Crawl back to whatever subreddit you came from.

Attached: Troll Line.jpg (300x300, 21K)

>Nothing wrong with turn-based combat. It works well.
>Takes time to tell a story, not everything is going to be thrown at you at once.
>Character archetypes exist throughout all forms of media and fictional works
>Not necessarily, no.
>JRPGs tend to aim for good graphic design, but even if this were true, so?
I think you just don't like this genre, senpai.

Explain why Persona 5 looks like a ps2 game then?

Because Persona 5 is a PS3 game.

stick to fortnite, zoom zoom.

Attached: 1534401544331.gif (478x350, 84K)

Please direct me to the PS2 game that looks similar to Persona 5.

No.

P5 looks like a PS3 game because it's a PS3 game.

Persona 4

Wrong.

All of these are more indicative of wRPGs than jRPGs

Attached: 1556952083354.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

Get your eyes checked

>Turn based combat
These make JRPG the best genre out there.
This is wrong.

P5 may be technologically underdeveloped but please show me how that makes it a bad looking game.

It is a PS3 game ported to the PS4.

>thing is bad because \v\ always makes shitty bait threads about it
zoom zoom

They just have no respect for your time, the padding in them is ridiculous. People play them on emulators and speed up so many parts of them. Then modern JRPGs have shit like encounter sliders and modes to make the turn based combat to be totally automatic. Even the jap devs know something stinks in the JRPG land.

>They just have no respect for your time
>proceeds to explain how JRPGs add QoL features
That's a big think from me.

>turn down random encounters
>make you not matter in combat at all
>QoL feature
More like they might be remotely realizing rehashing this random encounters concept from old ultima games, now regurgitated 40 years later ain't such a great idea

also they might be realizing their turn based combat is so bad and lazily done players would rather see AI to spam attack on everything most of the time than do it themselves, in other words the combat is garbage, not engaging at all and requires as much thinking and strategy as switching channels on a TV, and to top it off the shallow turn based combat in those games is the only part where you can really interact with the game because the rest might as well be a fucking cutscene given how little player agency is there in those games

Attached: asd0.png (614x572, 329K)

Please
Stop
Using
That
Fucking
Watchmojo
Thumbnail
As
OP

The only people who complain about JRPG combat are total casual shitters.

He's right you know. The MAJORITY of jrpgs are total shit. The only appeal they have is escapism and the small dopamine hit when you epic level up from grinding. The characters are usually flat archetypes, the plot meanders until it reaches a bog standard conclusion, and the only skill the gameplay tests is your patience. All the creativity in the genre was spent ages ago, these days they just revel in the established, shitty archetypes so old boomers and dumbass zoomers can escape their miserable lives for 100+ hours.

What? JRPG combat is the most casual way to play a videogame possible. You just attack, attack, heal, attack, attack, heal. Maybe debuff and buff too or you might have to hit the enemies weakness to fire! But it's all the same shit

JRPGs have good characters and settings

Attached: Elkface.png (654x654, 582K)

It’s fine to ignore bait but it just doesn’t work when 4 retards bait at the same time, you can’t actually have a thread like this.

And jannies nowhere in sight.

>You just attack, attack, heal, attack, attack, heal.
>wh-wh-why are JRPGs suck grindfests lads????

>And jannies nowhere in sight.
They're useless.
The average poster's intelligence in this shithole doesn't help either,

Attached: 1558008682613.jpg (680x425, 55K)

It's also a boring grindfest because the way you encounter enemies, with nonstop random encounters, it eventually makes all encounters dull as fuck and meaningless, compared to a game where you have a finite amount of enemies to be fought. Enemies in JRPGs are not exactly obstacles but just a boring timesink without any design put in it, it's just combat for the sake of having something players can interact with, so those stinky players can finally have some gameplay between our grorious endless exposition that our glorified Visual Novels are about.

Just bought myself some nice retrogaming RGB cables and hoked them up on my PVM13Q, what are some hidden PS1 gems?

How’s Vandal Hearts lads?

Metal Gear Solid

>That doesn’t refute any evidence I posted.
Actually, it does. It's just that your shit zoomer taste is too shit to understand.

P5 is shit, don't bring other games to it's garbage level

The gameplay is the weakest part of the genre, but games like paper mario and bravely default shake things up just enough to keep you engaged.

>every point I disagree with is bait!
t. thin skinned jrpgfag who cannot argue out of a wet paperbag

based retard.

Attached: p4 vs p5.png (1170x1316, 1.98M)

Man, the YIIK dev can't stop can he?

I tried giving BD a chance but it is just dull as fuck, the Brave system of amassing turns just doesn't end up being interesting, and I found the game job system to be lacking, you have shitloads of jobs but each feels really underdeveloped, also the characters and plot were really uninteresting. The 2 first Paper Mario games had that timed presses system that was a nice shake up of the turn based system, and the characters/story of those games were pretty good.

The issue with JRPG combat is how much it lacks strategical elements to it, no positioning, no area of effect attacks, no summons, and they lack more elements to it. Just the whole setup where your party stands in a line and the enemies stand there is such a boring and done to death scenario. I liked how in DQXI you can move your characters as some kind of practical joke when they could've made positioning a thing.

The JRPGs with enjoyable combat end up being the ones where it's over quickly such as Golden Sun, because more often than not the back and forth of attack heal attack heal magicspam ends up being a chore. This is why automatic battles are a thing.

>timed presses system
Shadow hearts
>JRPG combat is how much it lacks strategical elements to it, no positioning, no area of effect attacks, no summons,
Etrian Odyssey
FFX
The world ends with you
Knights in the nightmare
Grandia
FF Tactics
Play more games faggot

>Turn based is bad
I was just playing WA3 and its really not. Its just too many jrpgs don't add enough management and fun to it and bosses are often to simple
>Slow paced plot
subjective
>Same archetypes
Again WA3 not like that besides Amnesia faggot
>Look two gens behind
Nowadays but PS2 wise i feel like alot of them look fine.

Turn based combat can be good or acceptable. But FF and DQ are boring and too basic and since they're the only jrpgs you normies play you make these non arguments off them. Real time is arguably worse since most action rpgs play like action games for the dumbest of dummies with little to no decision making depth and combo systems that do not feel good.

>JRPG turn based combat
>decision making
come on user, you're hardly challenged in those games

>Real time is arguably worse since most action rpgs play like action games for the dumbest of dummies with little to no decision making depth and combo systems that do not feel good.
Based turn based retard who only plays Kingdom Hearts and thinks every action based game is just mashing button. Yikes and cringepilled. Your boomer is showing.

How so? Plenty of SMT bosses have strict and punishing patterns. If you look shit up and over prepare of course you can copy a strat and do something and make it look easy. Since jrpg bosses like most single player games are an absolute but require no actual reaction timing.

But when you don't and just play of course you have to manage resources and strategize on a fly.

Nah some. Kingdom Hearts is comically one of the most advanced ones. Tales games Star Ocean games etc are all braindead. Essentially just spamming the most powerful shit you got and spamming items on top well tanking. Only rarely do you avoid a few key attacks.

Sounds like you just like active elements a bit more than number crunching, user.
Maybe SRPGs or action games are more your style.

Personally I love Etrian's combat, it has extremely well-tuned balancing and a ton of possible party combinations.
Stuff like DQ8 and FF (mainline) just seem pathetically easy in comparison, but those games also have their own positives.

Maybe "Tales of" would be a good series for you, user.
Action-based gameplay, positioning matters, still RPG/levelup mechanics but lacking in customization.